{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Our forwards

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Our forwards

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:10 am

kevin kents tasce wrote:No Pelters from me Musings, i've said it before too.

Me neither....I understand the "hopeful economics" of promoting youth but they have to be good enough and worth their place. How Smith could be used before Khan on Saturday is the first doubt I've had about GC.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:57 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:

Me neither....I understand the "hopeful economics" of promoting youth but they have to be good enough and worth their place. How Smith could be used before Khan on Saturday is the first doubt I've had about GC.

Probably because Khan is on his way out....
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:21 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Yes CL I read that on another thread after posting.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:54 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

That rumour originated from a spurious twitter rumour account, unless Chander has some inside info.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:04 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Spiritater wrote:True Smith was poor, he looks light on pace, grit, strength and desire. The occasional decent ball isn't enough

Smith isn't good enough... and as I have pointed out many times, the gap between our youth and the first team is massive.

If we have promising youth players like Smith and Jimmy they have to go out on loan first, either conference north or premier level before coming into the first team.

Kellan Gordon is decent for league two and played at Premier League 2 level, the top of youth football. None of our kids would get anywhere near that level and shows that they're just not fit for our first team yet.

We need to be careful with them and stop throwing them in... that's why we haven't produced a single player yet since reforming the academy. Personally think theres a huge gap between academy and first team not because theres a manger giving youth a chance but because the academy does a poor job in preparing these kids for the level required.

I completely agree with all of this. The quality of our youth team is drastically overrated by some.

It can’t just be me who thinks that our youth setup never produces men who are physically able to go into first team football.

Liam Marsden, Jack Thomas, Corbin Shires, Joe Fitzpatrick, Lewis Gibbens, Alistair Smith and Jimmy Knowles are basically all the players we’ve had come through our youth setup and play somewhat in our first team. In my opinion, not one of them was/is nearly physically developed enough to succeed in first team football at this level. They all just looked a bit out of place when they did play, whereas this doesn’t seem to be the case as much when other teams play young lads.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:09 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:

Because they don't play in the same position? Khan is a lot more attacking, Plus I think GC had already made his mind up about khan.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Spiritater wrote:True Smith was poor, he looks light on pace, grit, strength and desire. The occasional decent ball isn't enough

Smith isn't good enough... and as I have pointed out many times, the gap between our youth and the first team is massive.

If we have promising youth players like Smith and Jimmy they have to go out on loan first, either conference north or premier level before coming into the first team.

Kellan Gordon is decent for league two and played at Premier League 2 level, the top of youth football. None of our kids would get anywhere near that level and shows that they're just not fit for our first team yet.

We need to be careful with them and stop throwing them in... that's why we haven't produced a single player yet since reforming the academy. Personally think theres a huge gap between academy and first team not because theres a manger giving youth a chance but because the academy does a poor job in preparing these kids for the level required.

I completely agree with all of this. The quality of our youth team is drastically overrated by some.

It can’t just be me who thinks that our youth setup never produces men who are physically able to go into first team football.

Liam Marsden, Jack Thomas, Corbin Shires, Joe Fitzpatrick, Lewis Gibbens, Alistair Smith and Jimmy Knowles are basically all the players we’ve had come through our youth setup and play somewhat in our first team. In my opinion, not one of them was/is nearly physically developed enough to succeed in first team football at this level. They all just looked a bit out of place when they did play, whereas this doesn’t seem to be the case as much when other teams play young lads.

Yep, agree with you. Put Kellan next to any of our youth players and its men v boys. Said before its great they win the league every year but they should be doing that minimum with the set up and investment in it... They need to try and play in a better league.

I believe we still pick up players from exit trials rather than scout local talent.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:49 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

That rumour originated from a spurious twitter rumour account, unless Chander has some inside info.

No inside info, was more an assumption to be honest. I like Khan, but not sure he's the type of player CG wants. 2 and 2 - probs 5
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Khan is very lightweight and has been mostly useless during his time here. We need better imo. Can’t see us getting better in January though.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum