{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Vegans Scorethread sponsered by Burger King

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Vegans Scorethread sponsered by Burger King

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:29 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:FGR take the lead 5 and a half minutes jnto the 5 minutes of stoppage time. Ref needs a new battery in his watch. Perhaps explains why he didn't attend his specasvers appointment.

Minimum, not maximum stoppage time.

Why people never understand this baffles me.

I didn’t see the game but was there really a couple of minutes needing to be adding in added time for both halves ? In four minutes at the end of the first half was there a stoppage that caused an extra minute and some to be added ?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:34 am

bellwhiff wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:FGR take the lead 5 and a half minutes jnto the 5 minutes of stoppage time. Ref needs a new battery in his watch. Perhaps explains why he didn't attend his specasvers appointment.

I didn’t see the game but was there really a couple of minutes needing to be adding in added time for both halves ? In four minutes at the end of the first half was there a stoppage that caused an extra minute and some to be added ?

I don't remember a stoppage in play which needed treatment or time wasting by either side, so it seemed odd that he did it in both halves. Almost as though he was stopping the watch every time the ball went out or some other odd personal decision because it just didn't add up
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:48 am

FGR stayed 'switched on' for the whole game, we didn't. No good blaming the ref.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:58 am

Spiritater wrote:FGR stayed 'switched on' for the whole game, we didn't. No good blaming the ref.

Not blaming the ref, Spiritater, simply answering the question. I don't remember any reasons for extending the time. Whether our players were sufficiently professional to deal with that issue is a different discussion.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:07 am

Extending the half time one was questionable, but the board went up as we were coming back from celebrating our 3rd. So 5 mins was decided before we scored. Adding another 30-60 seconds to the 5 minutes seems ok to me. We wouldn't be be complaining we we had won it in 90+6.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:12 am

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

It was largely to get the specasvers joke out. It was weird though, like GFB and bellwhiff says.

The 2 penalty shouts looked like good ones. On another day we would have had a ref that could keep time and see fouls and its not a 4-3 loss but a 5-2 win. I know it's not as simple as that but the point remains.

Now, that didn't happen. The first half ends when the ref says it does and the game doesn't end until the ref says it does. That's the bottom line. We can question decisions he's made after the match, it won't make a difference.

We lost because we either switch off at set pieces or assume someone else is dealing with it. We also don't close people down

The problem we have mainly is the horrific pre season we had. Pre season is the most important part of the season. It sets the foundations that a season is built on. Is it any coincidence that our best league season for years happened after a good pre season? In contrast our worst league season for years comes of the back of one of our worst pre seasons ever?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:16 am

The timing did seem excessive but at the end of the day you should play until the ref says end.
We wouldn't be upset if the boot was on the other foot and we had walked away with three points.

Lets be honest, we played much better first half but did not deserve any kind of a lead nevermind 2-0.
Rose's rash tackle let them back in and from that point we were not at the races, totally out played by a far superior team.

Maybe another week on the training field will make further improvements but my honest opinion is we need additions and departures.

I wouldn't prevent anyone from leaving except Maynard, Cook and Sweeney, with Sweeney I believe there is a good defender in there somewhere and hopefully good coaching by GC can bring it out.
As for I comings, at least one centre back who can head a football, maybe left back, certainly two midfield players.
Probably won't get my full "wish list" but any contributions will be welcome.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:42 pm

I was at Reading v Forest yesterday & the board came up with 5 minutes added on time. Forest took the lead after 96 minutes and Reading equalised after 97!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:17 pm

Dan wrote:I was at Reading v Forest yesterday & the board came up with 5 minutes added on time. Forest took the lead after 96 minutes and Reading equalised after 97!

which might be perfectly reasonable if there are stoppages that warrant further time added in stoppage time.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:09 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Dan wrote:I was at Reading v Forest yesterday & the board came up with 5 minutes added on time. Forest took the lead after 96 minutes and Reading equalised after 97!

which might be perfectly reasonable if there are stoppages that warrant further time added in stoppage time.

No one knew where he’d got the original 5 minutes from let alone anymore :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:50 am

5 minutes is pretty standard now.

Reading and Forest had 6 subs in the 2nd half - 30 seconds for each (minimum) so that's 3 minutes - a bit for timewasting - maybe an injury or 2 and it's probably going to be more.

Irrespective - if you're a professional footballer you should play until the ref's whistle - it says it all about our players that they didn't concentrate and took their eye off the ball
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:09 am

My biggest frustration with he whole stoppage time debacle is that after about 3/4 minutes, Olejnik dived on the ball and looked happy to be on a go slow and take the point. Meanwhile GC is on the touchline screaming at him and the players to get forward to try and win it.

The vast majority of our squad have no balls or bravery. It's sad to watch.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:12 am

adamstag wrote:5 minutes is pretty standard now.

Reading and Forest had 6 subs in the 2nd half - 30 seconds for each (minimum) so that's 3 minutes - a bit for timewasting - maybe an injury or 2 and it's probably going to be more.

Irrespective - if you're a professional footballer you should play until the ref's whistle - it says it all about our players that they didn't concentrate and took their eye off the ball

When Rose fouled at the right back position the time was about up. No ref will blow for time, they always seem to allow the free kick which is a good thing in my opinion as the attacking team should not be penalised.

Can any referees on here then please explain the following though:
Aston Villa v Man City yesterday
Time added on after 90 minutes = 1 minute
Number of goals in second half = 2 (3rd one scored in added time via a penalty hence 2 minutes of added time played in total)
Number of substitutions = 6
With time for celebrations and substitutions I would expect at least 4 minutes for this alone irrespective of any other stoppages.

If that game was close I am sure the referee would have added on more than one minute.
Can you image Pep's reaction if they were 2-1 down and the ref gave them just ONE minute despite 2 goals and 6 substitutions.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:16 am

ST4GS wrote:

When Rose fouled at the right back position the time was about up. No ref will blow for time, they always seem to allow the free kick which is a good thing in my opinion as the attacking team should not be penalised.

Number of goals in second half = 2 (3rd one scored in added time via a penalty hence 2 minutes of added time played in total)
With time for celebrations and substitutions I would expect at least 4 minutes for this alone irrespective of any other stoppages.

If that game was close I am sure the referee would have added on more than one minute.
Can you image Pep's reaction if they were 2-1 down and the ref gave them just ONE minute despite 2 goals and 6 substitutions.

They did last week against Grimsby, which is why Coughlan was so angry.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:37 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

True, but in honesty they were that bad last week they could have put 150 minutes up and we wouldb't have scored
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:32 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
ST4GS wrote:

Did the ref stop the game when we had a free kick? I can't remember to be honest, thought it might have been a corner or throw in.
Off topic, I assume the referee is keeping an accurate to the second tally of stoppage time required and not estimating.
If when the 90 minutes are up and he needs to allow lets say 3 minutes and 43 seconds then how is this signalled (3 or 4 minutes?)
Is this rounded up or down or both?
Does the ref stick to the rounding or is the rounding used only to convey this to the spectators? (ie play 3 minutes 43 seconds or play 4 minutes?)
Reason I ask is that 5 minutes were allocated but the ref might have required to play an extra 5 minutes 30 seconds?
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:48 pm

Until we have a system in which the clock is stopped every time the ball goes dead, then this outdated time keeping will always be a problem.

So let’s half an hour each way with the clock stopping when the ball goes dead.

Sorted.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:52 pm

part time pete wrote:Until we have a system in which the clock is stopped every time the ball goes dead, then this outdated time keeping will always be a problem.

So let’s half an hour each way with the clock stopping when the ball goes dead.

Sorted.

Totally agree. It shouldn’t be down to an official stopping a timer whenever he deems it necessary. Both FGR goals seemed well past time, even if deserved!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:29 pm

Did we still lose 3 4 ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum