{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Joe Dunne press conference Tue 7 Jan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Joe Dunne press conference Tue 7 Jan

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:33 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Joe Dunne press conference Tue 7 Jan

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:38 am

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:11 am

Disappointing news regarding Gordon.

I’d be actively looking for a natural right winger now (probably a loan). Macca nowhere near quick enough out there and fails to beat the first man far too often - it really limits us going forward when he’s on the wing.

I say ‘natural’ right winger as we obviously have Khan who can play wide but he’s far better on the left and can often look a little lost on the right.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:14 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Disappointing news regarding Gordon.

I’d be actively looking for a natural right winger now (probably a loan). Macca nowhere near quick enough out there and fails to beat the first man far too often - it really limits us going forward when he’s on the wing.

I say ‘natural’ right winger as we obviously have Khan who can play wide but he’s far better on the left and can often look a little lost on the right.

Khan shouldn't be lost on the right, he only has a right foot, notice when on the left he always has to cut back to use his right foot.

The bloke has been a dead loss, if GC can do something with him then fine, if not ship him out this month.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:16 pm

Khan and Sterling james start in reserves.
That's a big sign for me...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:31 pm

Not sure what happened with Khan.....pre season he seemed really fit and up for the season but seems to be fizzling out again
Any ideas anybody??
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:33 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Not sure what happened with Khan.....pre season he seemed really fit and up for the season but seems to be fizzling out again
Any ideas anybody??

His attitude?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:59 pm

oldweststander wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Disappointing news regarding Gordon.

Khan shouldn't be lost on the right, he only has a right foot, notice when on the left he always has to cut back to use his right foot.

The bloke has been a dead loss, if GC can do something with him then fine, if not ship him out this month.

He shouldn’t be, but he is for the reason you say above - he always want to cut inside. He’s not really got the pace to beat a man often on the outside but cutting inside opens the game up for him.

It’s frustrating that we haven’t got the best out of him consistently as he’s got the talent. Can’t really see him being here next year.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:04 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Not sure what happened with Khan.....pre season he seemed really fit and up for the season but seems to be fizzling out again
Any ideas anybody??

Simply put he's a left winger (remember Wayne Corden was right footed) and is in competition with one of the fastest players in the league and a player selected in the league team of the year.

He was signed to play behind the front 2. At the start of the season we valued players who run around alot and get stuck in.

Last season we did the "stag mates" {or something like that) and every player said otis is the most gullable or least intelligent. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in a manager.

We either bench CJ for a few games and give otis a chance or we put cj on the right and otis on the left and bench Macca for a few games. We would lose fight on the wings if we do the latter though. CJ doesn't get stuck in and put a big man on otis and he's out the game. If we go with otis and CJ then you need someone in midfield who will battle for the ball and capable of a simple pass. Macca will battle for the ball but complicates his passes. Bishop is our best choice here along with Tomlinson. Mellis has his court date in a week (I'm certain I read it was adjourned until the 14th) so may not be in the best fram of mind. We need points we can't put that pressure on young Smith. After that I'm not sure who else we have?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:49 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Any ideas anybody??

His attitude?

Do you have insight to his attitude?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:07 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Any ideas anybody??

His attitude?

I very much doubt it, Whiffy
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:23 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Any ideas anybody??

His attitude?

No. But that's why there's a question mark at the end because it could be down to many things ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:33 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Any ideas anybody??

His attitude?

No. But that's why there's a question mark at the end because it could be down to many things ;)

Thought not. You’re just throwing raspberry and hoping it sticks
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:42 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Any ideas anybody??

His attitude?

Thought not. You’re just throwing raspberry and hoping it sticks

Not really. The whole squad's attitude can be questioned as they obviously couldn't be bothered to perform under Dempster and probably didn't respect him like they should have.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:13 pm

I can’t believe it! Whiffy is having a go at someone for dung-slinging. Well done lad!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:23 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:I can’t believe it! Whiffy is having a go at someone for dung-slinging. Well done lad!

We're only one comment away from it turning into every other name calling thread
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:25 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:I can’t believe it! Whiffy is having a go at someone for dung-slinging. Well done lad!

We're only one comment away from it turning into every other name calling thread

:( :) :) :)
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:55 am

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:08 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Any ideas anybody??

Simply put he's a left winger (remember Wayne Corden was right footed) and is in competition with one of the fastest players in the league and a player selected in the league team of the year.

He was signed to play behind the front 2. At the start of the season we valued players who run around alot and get stuck in.

Last season we did the "stag mates" {or something like that) and every player said otis is the most gullable or least intelligent. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence in a manager.

We either bench CJ for a few games and give otis a chance or we put cj on the right and otis on the left and bench Macca for a few games. We would lose fight on the wings if we do the latter though. CJ doesn't get stuck in and put a big man on otis and he's out the game. If we go with otis and CJ then you need someone in midfield who will battle for the ball and capable of a simple pass. Macca will battle for the ball but complicates his passes. Bishop is our best choice here along with Tomlinson. Mellis has his court date in a week (I'm certain I read it was adjourned until the 14th) so may not be in the best fram of mind. We need points we can't put that pressure on young Smith. After that I'm not sure who else we have?

Big difference between intelligence and football intelligence. Met many a footballer who is thick as a brick but not on the pitch. What a daft comment.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:51 am

Never said there was a difference. Some wanted to know why he could have been overlooked. It could be a factor, not that it was. Personally I think it's the first paragraph of my post, but maybe some people can't get their ideas across to players like that. Not saying they are no good as footballers, I think Khan is someone you need to just say play your own way to shine. Rather than specific instructions.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:04 pm

Khan at the start of the season was one of the few players who really looked fit and active and was gagging for the new start and sorry he has become side lined again for whatever reason within the squad or management attitude probs.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:33 pm

Edit - spotted threads further down - sorry.

Unless it's discussed on another thread, I can't believe we're nearly 20 responses in and the recall of Connor Shaughnessy hasn't been mentioned.

He's been one of very few bright sparks in terms of quality in this squad and I personally pinned his return from injury on a better all round team performance going forwards. From trying to read JD's manner in the interview, it didn't suggest he or the management team were too happy with the recall either...

Thoughts?
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:37 pm

Birminghamstag10 wrote:Edit - spotted threads further down - sorry.

Unless it's discussed on another thread, I can't believe we're nearly 20 responses in and the recall of Connor Shaughnessy hasn't been mentioned.

He's been one of very few bright sparks in terms of quality in this squad and I personally pinned his return from injury on a better all round team performance going forwards. From trying to read JD's manner in the interview, it didn't suggest he or the management team were too happy with the recall either...

Thoughts?

There's already two threads discussing it. He's going to Burton reportedly.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:40 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:40 pm

Martin Shaw