{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Conor Shaughnessy

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Conor Shaughnessy

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:31 pm

Bloke at half time said he’s gone back to Weeds, anyone else heard this ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Re: Conor Shaughnessy

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:53 pm

He's supposed to be on a season long loan.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:59 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:He's supposed to be on a season long loan.

that’s what i thought, he said option to return in January, thought i’d ask around
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:55 am

Saw him yesterday, in sportswear with Sweeney and Gordon signing autographs.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:01 am

From is wiki page

Mansfield Town loan
On 2 September 2019, Shaughnessy joined League Two side Mansfield Town on a season long loan after failing to break into Leeds Head Coach Marcelo Bielsa's immediate plans.[24]
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:04 am

Good good good then he needs to get his West Yorkshire bum back in the first team we need some quality passing through that dire midfield
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:13 am

Having spoken to a Connor yesterday as he walked through the West Stand prior to the commencement of yesterday’s game I asked him if he was to stay for the latter half of the season. He said it was not up to him and that it was between Mansfield and Leeds, though he hoped to.

Does that answer it?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:23 am

Imagine if he was fit and we had kept Dion Donohue (Would like the full story with him?)

Our midfield would be completely different.... Shows how badly wrong Dempster got it.

But I think player contracts have dictated what happens, were stuck with this lot until further notice.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:26 am

Sedgwick wrote:Imagine if he was fit and we had kept Dion Donohue (Would like the full story with him?)

Our midfield would be completely different.... Shows how badly wrong Dempster got it.

But I think player contracts have dictated what happens, were stuck with this lot until further notice.

That doesn't make much sense Sedgy. How can you eulogise about how different out midfield would be with Shaughnessy and Donohue, two players signed by JD, and then say how wrong JD got it!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:31 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:Imagine if he was fit and we had kept Dion Donohue (Would like the full story with him?)

That doesn't make much sense Sedgy. How can you eulogise about how different out midfield would be with Shaughnessy and Donohue, two players signed by JD, and then say how wrong JD got it!

Because two players are unavailable and look at the impact its had... You build a squad to have depth so if you miss one or two you don't massively notice... The gulf between those two and Bishop and Macca is far too big... that's where he's got it so badly wrong.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:36 am

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Because two players are unavailable and look at the impact its had... You build a squad to have depth so if you miss one or two you don't massively notice... The gulf between those two and Bishop and Macca is far too big... that's where he's got it so badly wrong.

How do you know? Donohue barely played a game for us, then played a few games for Swindon at left back. As well as the two you mention he had two had played nearly every game in a promotion challenge the previous season and one who had been used by every manager for the last three years. Shaughnessy has only been unavailable for three weeks. There were six central midfielders in the squad, seven if you count Smith.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:51 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

How do you know? Donohue barely played a game for us, then played a few games for Swindon at left back. As well as the two you mention he had two had played nearly every game in a promotion challenge the previous season and one who had been used by every manager for the last three years. Shaughnessy has only been unavailable for three weeks. There were six central midfielders in the squad, seven if you count Smith.

Hes played in midfield for them. Swindon fans love him... on his day hes too good for league two.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:03 pm

No he didn't. He played 6 games, all at left back.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:41 am

Does anyone else find it a little strange that Conor hasn't signed for the Brewers yet?

Could it be that we have also put a bid in and Leeds tactic of recalling him was just to up the ante?

It will probably be announced he has signed for Burton today now that I've mentioned it.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:04 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Does anyone else find it a little strange that Conor hasn't signed for the Brewers yet?

Could it be that we have also put a bid in and Leeds tactic of recalling him was just to up the ante?

It will probably be announced he has signed for Burton today now that I've mentioned it.

Wouldn't think so.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:28 pm

Clough has also confirmed the club’s interest in taking Leeds defender Conor Shaughnessy on loan.

“He has 18 months left on his Leeds contract but has been out on loan at Mansfield so far this season. We are down the line with him but there is a small technical hitch at their end at the moment. He’s injured with a slight hamstring but should be fit in a week or so and with us having these two games and a break there is no particular rush.

“We need to make sure the deal is right and everyone is happy with it; we are just waiting for that small hitch to be sorted out between Leeds and the player. We nearly took him in the summer and we have always been impressed with him. He’s the sort of player we need. He gives us a little bit of defensive cover and holding midfield as well.”

https://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/2 ... transfers/
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:13 am

Shame if we're letting him leave. Highly rated for the league above, a good loan signing. But perhaps Coughlan is contemplating several loan players and needs to make room.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:16 am

Bradders wrote:Shame if we're letting him leave. Highly rated for the league above, a good loan signing. But perhaps Coughlan is contemplating several loan players and needs to make room.

We're not letting him leave, he's left!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:21 am

The lad is looking to his future and who can blame him.

Any young pro would choose League 1 over League 2.

My only disappointment is that I feel he wasn't regularly utilised in his best position which is as a holding midfielder, he was used a cover for injured back three players which I don't think is his strength, but hay, what do I know?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:33 am

Bradders wrote:Shame if we're letting him leave. Highly rated for the league above, a good loan signing. But perhaps Coughlan is contemplating several loan players and needs to make room.

The season long loans have a recall clause in them, which can only be used during a transfer window. Leeds have exercised their clause.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:35 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

We're not letting him leave, he's left!

exactly. he's not our player so it's not like we can stop Leeds from recalling him
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:05 pm

He has signed for Burton... on beeb site.
The One
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum