{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Coughlan has a HUGE job on.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Coughlan has a HUGE job on.

Postby Random Hero » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Wow. Coughlan has a big job on. We need 5-6 players in January at a minimum.

I’ll do Martin’s player summaries for him as there are some things that need to be said that I’m sure he’d rather not.

Preston: An absolute liability. Loses his man at every set piece. A walking yellow card. Distribution zero. That balloon on the pitch in the first half stuck closer to Preston’s man than he did. Diabolical.

Benning: What happened to him?! He’s not been right since Chesterfield away. At fault for their first (I’ll get onto Macca in a minute...) by playing their man onside, then falling over to allow him to cut inside. Couldn’t deliver a set piece if his grandma’s life depended on it. Gave the fans some lip earlier after he spooned another one out of play. Sums up his last two seasons.

MacDonald: A yard behind play. That challenge for the penalty was the most dainty thing he did all day. He’s like a DFS half price sale - Always there, offers nothing.

CJ Hamilton: If this lad didn’t have pace he’d never be a professional footballer. No awareness of the game whatsoever. Can’t shoot, can’t cross, can’t pass. He’s out there asking headless chickens for directions.

Rose: Spends more time on the floor than on his feet. Makes Tom Daley look part time.

Logan: Surely his last season in professional football. He’s at least three stone too heavy, and inspires about as much confidence in his defence as the royal family currently have in Prince Andrew. Not at fault individually for any of the goals today (obviously), but ambles off his line in a completely random way at every set piece. Took Pearce five minutes of being on today to try to tell him how to do his job.

There’s more but these stand out. This squad of players (give or take) have now failed for three seasons in a row. Time to be brutal, get rid of the piss takers who are hitching a free ride, and bring in some players who actually give a toss.
Last edited by Random Hero on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Re: Coughlan has a HUGE job on.

Postby Vice President » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:30 pm

I agree with the above - apart from CJ. CJ is a good player - he proved it last season, but he needs a decent side around him.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby talbot_ben » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Preston should be sacked
talbot_ben
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:35 pm

Vice President wrote:I agree with the above - apart from CJ. CJ is a good player - he proved it last season, but he needs a decent side around him.

So did Benning and Preston, so what has gone wrong with them this season?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:40 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Vice President wrote:I agree with the above - apart from CJ. CJ is a good player - he proved it last season, but he needs a decent side around him.

thrown the dummy out because they didn't want flitcroft to be sacked?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:42 pm

Not sure why Preston is picked ahead of Pearce?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:43 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

thrown the dummy out because they didn't want flitcroft to be sacked?

Is that really likely to be the case? Surely they care more about their own careers than DF's?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:50 pm

CJ is an asset. He frightens the life out of full backs with his direct running and pace. I can accept that he is technically raw and his end product is inconsistent. We are very expectant when it comes to CJ, perhaps too much so. Regardless, he is a major threat for us.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:51 pm

Just cant wait for us to officially be safe and see the retain list... what a season this is.
Last edited by Sedgwick on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:52 pm

Agree with pretty much all of that.

Bradford were also painstakingly average and we still didn't have the quality to damage them.

Very poor.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Staggyfox » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:56 pm

Yes, an entertaining but sadly true account of the players abilities. Something is wrong....plenty of speculation on here...with the “team”. The desire to win has gone. Why?
Staggyfox
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Random Hero » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:56 pm

WVStag wrote:CJ is an asset. He frightens the life out of full backs with his direct running and pace. I can accept that he is technically raw and his end product is inconsistent. We are very expectant when it comes to CJ, perhaps too much so. Regardless, he is a major threat for us.

Technically raw?! He’s 24 :lol:
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:01 pm

Random Hero wrote:
WVStag wrote:CJ is an asset. He frightens the life out of full backs with his direct running and pace. I can accept that he is technically raw and his end product is inconsistent. We are very expectant when it comes to CJ, perhaps too much so. Regardless, he is a major threat for us.

Raw and inconsistent is how best to describe his abilities. He will likely always be those. He’s not an Mbappe, believe it or not.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:04 pm

Random Hero wrote:

Exactly. If he can’t control a ball now, he never will. I got hammered for criticising him.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:09 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

Exactly. If he can’t control a ball now, he never will. I got hammered for criticising him.

Can’t control a ball
Can’t cross
Can’t shoot
Can’t pass
Has no awareness

I’m not expecting Mbappe but almost every other winger in league two will have at least *some* of those attributes.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:11 pm

Random Hero wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

Can’t control a ball
Can’t cross
Can’t shoot
Can’t pass
Has no awareness

I’m not expecting Mbappe but almost every other winger in league two will have at least *some* of those attributes.

He can literally do all those things, albeit inconsistently. That is the truth.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:12 pm

Random Hero wrote:

Will Tomlinson is technically raw at 21 and us being his 2nd ever club.

I don't think the players are like this because they initially felt DF shouldn't have been sacked. But you bet they are feeling that way now.

What I think is the problem is the pee poor pre season we had.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:13 pm

Random Hero wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

Can’t control a ball
Can’t cross
Can’t shoot
Can’t pass
Has no awareness

11 goals and 6 assists last season. Not bad for a player who has none of the above.

14 goals and 8 assist in all comps.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:13 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

Will Tomlinson is technically raw at 21 and us being his 2nd ever club.

I don't think the players are like this because they initially felt DF shouldn't have been sacked. But you bet they are feeling that way now.

What I think is the problem is the pee poor pre season we had.

The problem was appointing John Dempster. We undid 18 months of progress with one appointment.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Absolutely spot on.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:17 pm

CJ was (as pointed out above) directly involved in loads of our goals last season and he was played in about 5 different positions. It was only a few days ago he scored a last minute equaliser and should've got an assist too, he put it on a plate for Danny Rose after a good run only for Rose to muck it up.

CJ is a good player who will create something pretty much each game.

The rest I pretty much agree with. We need a big clear out.
Last edited by Stoney on Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:18 pm

CJ is one of our best players. There are plenty of clubs higher than us who would gladly take him.
We don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:21 pm

The reason for CJ looking a shadow of the player last season is because he's had to try and win more headers this season than he did last. He's not good in the air.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:24 pm

gazza1988 wrote:The reason for CJ looking a shadow of the player last season is because he's had to try and win more headers this season than he did last. He's not good in the air.

Indeed - Furthermore, he is very much a 'confidence' player. Put him in a confident, attacking team and he shines. But he won't look so good in a struggling team ... Then again, you could probably say that about most 'decent' players.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Vice President wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:The reason for CJ looking a shadow of the player last season is because he's had to try and win more headers this season than he did last. He's not good in the air.

Indeed - Furthermore, he is very much a 'confidence' player. Put him in a confident, attacking team and he shines. But he won't look so good in a struggling team ... Then again, you could probably say that about most 'decent' players.

He’s currently a luxury we can’t afford I’m afraid.

We are in a relegation battle.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum