{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Field Mill pitch

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Field Mill pitch

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:56 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
cornish stag wrote:I recall hearing that we use a fibresand pitch, is that correct?

Yes

A product from local firm, Mansfield Standard Sand
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:30 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:
Bradders wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:We need a desso pitch.......

Think they cost between £300k-£500k though.

We have some sort of hybrid pitch, although I don't know whether it's "Desso". That's why it has to be watered so much, as Merriman explained during the summer break IIRC.

Tha patches have always been there, and seem to remain a weakness even when the whole pitch is dug up and relaid. It's obviously to do with the West Stand shadow.

We have a sand based fibre pitch I think which is why it needs a lot of water.

Desso is a totally different phenomenon in its own right.

Desso Grassmaster would cost a lot but the lifespan is about 15 years. Phenomenal. I think the lowest ranked team with one is Wycombe.

Thought Newport and Rochdale had them too.

If it's true about Newport, it's not the greatest advert for that type of pitch.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:17 pm

We've had those 2 strips of burial grounds of mud each side of the halfway line about 10 feet in from the touch line under the West Stand since the 70's . No idea why but whatever we do they resurface come December .
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:04 pm

Imo stripping the surface every Summer and relaying it doesn't give time for t'grass to really bed in. Aint had a great deal of time in 8-9 weeks to establish.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:18 pm

Spiritater wrote:Imo stripping the surface every Summer and relaying it doesn't give time for t'grass to really bed in. Aint had a great deal of time in 8-9 weeks to establish.

Knowing absolutely nothing about reseeding pitches I did a bit of reading around the subject on commercial sites and forums and 8 weeks seems to be fine.
The main issue aplears to be the number of times a pitch is played on.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:49 pm

When the team plays poorly we criticism them, when the pitch is in very poor condition we praise the ground staff.

Let's have some balance.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cornish stag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:01 pm

8 weeks to grow and establish a lawn is plenty, especially through summer.
From what i understand of fibresand its a high drainage and relatively loose sand so roots can get deep in and estblished. The amount of rain weve hads a huge issue, coupled with short days so not much sun, and matches smashing it up every few days, it takes a toll.
cornish stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:02 pm

Valley Parade looks as bad.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Maldon Stag » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:28 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Have to say, even with the silky skills of Mezz n the team & how much has been spent on it, it’s a right cut up mud bath at the moment

The amount of rain has got nothing to do with it, Mez has made a right hash of the pitch for two seasons running. When the pitch was re seeded he didn't take enough top soil off meaning it had to be done again the following season while adding drainage near the West Stand. I don't rate him as a groundsman, there are better groundsmen out there who, will have that pitch looking like a carpet.
Maldon Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:36 pm

Maldon Stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Have to say, even with the silky skills of Mezz n the team & how much has been spent on it, it’s a right cut up mud bath at the moment

The amount of rain has got nothing to do with it, Mez has made a right hash of the pitch for two seasons running. When the pitch was re seeded he didn't take enough top soil off meaning it had to be done again the following season while adding drainage near the West Stand. I don't rate him as a groundsman, there are better groundsmen out there who, will have that pitch looking like a carpet.

I know that the pitch wasn’t ready for the start of pre season and I imagine that has a big reason as to why it’s so damaged now.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby tinman » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:03 pm

Maldon Stag wrote:

Well, we've had shouts of Manager OUT, Players Out, this season, looks like it's Mez's turn to be OUT.
All I can say is Sandys bar staff watch out, it could be your turn next
First Stags Match Stags 0 Crewe 0, 14th September 1974
tinman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Maldon Stag wrote:

Not many better groundsmen in League Two unless they are all as awful as you claim Mez is. I haven't seen many pitches without mud patches at our level.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:46 am

The Bradford pitch was quite a bit worse than Field Mill.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:14 am

You want to see Tranmere’s if you think ours is bad! Newport is also starting to look bad & that’s had a lot spent on it.

Maldon can I ask what experience you’ve got as a groundsman? You sound like you know what you’re on about so I’m intrigued. I think Mez & the lads do a really good job so your post has taken me back a bit as I’ve never seen any criticism of Mez before.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:16 am

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:08 pm

Dan wrote:You want to see Tranmere’s if you think ours is bad! Newport is also starting to look bad & that’s had a lot spent on it.

Maldon can I ask what experience you’ve got as a groundsman? You sound like you know what you’re on about so I’m intrigued. I think Mez & the lads do a really good job so your post has taken me back a bit as I’ve never seen any criticism of Mez before.

Why do you need to have experience as a groundsman to be able to criticise ?

Ever player professional football ?
Ever been an MP?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby sunray » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:17 pm

Don't we have a landscape gardener on the Board?
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:17 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Dan wrote:You want to see Tranmere’s if you think ours is bad! Newport is also starting to look bad & that’s had a lot spent on it.

Why do you need to have experience as a groundsman to be able to criticise ?

Ever player professional football ?
Ever been an MP?

As usual you miss the point. People usually criticise by saying things like ‘the pitch is crap’ whereas Maldon went into more detail which led me to believe they may have some experience of it. If so they may have been able to help out with a bit of advice that’s all.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Maldon Stag » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:23 am

You certainly can, I spent 3 years working for Talbot Farm Landscapes where, we laid many football pitches for the likes of QPR, Portsmouth and Burton Albion to name a few when we worked for SIS Pitches, we also landscaped some of the Olympic Village in London including part of the London Stadium after the original contractor gave back the contract as it was a step to far.

Preparation is the key when laying or re-laying a sports surface, the soil needs to be worked then worked again, you can't just take the top off and re-seed the underneath hoping all is going to grow well for a few seasons because it wont.

Drainage is the key, making sure you have the soakaway running in the right direction to the lowest point of the pitch. Getting it laser lined is crucial, this will ensure the water will drain away to it's lowest point and not hang about underneath the pitch like it is doing. It's plain to see to someone like myself who has worked in the "Sports Surface Industry" that the re-seeding was done on a small budget, most football clubs use the "Turf Roll System," it costs a little bit more but, it's the only way for a sustainable surface that isn't going to look like it's been ploughed ready to plant potatoes after a few games in wet conditions. The science behind growing grass for professional football use has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 15 years, there's a grass out there now that can grow in sand and without water, I think it's called TIFF 118, it's sprayed on in a mulch helping it bind to the sand enabling it to take root and grow.

I would also urge the club to buy more sun lamps, having a row of three isn't going to work, shell out a little bit more and increase the amount to cover a quarter of the pitch due to the West Stand blocking out even the winter sun, this will encourage the grass to grow even in winter when temperatures are minus 1.

Any groundsman worth his salt will know that you can't scrimp and scrape when it comes to the playing surface because, a few days of rain will have it looking like a paddy field.

The pitch needs a lot of work doing to it over a few seasons, laser 50 points of the pitch, find the lowest point then, work from there.

Hope that clears everything up Dan?
Maldon Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bux46 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:50 am

Your knowledge on the subject certainly impressed me Maldon ....
bux46
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Maldon Stag » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:44 am

bux46 wrote:Your knowledge on the subject certainly impressed me Maldon ....

Cheers Bux, I won't criticise someone doing something I know nothing about. It's not just about re-seeding and watching the green stuff grow the hard work is the preparation. Seeds nowadays have been designed to be hardwearing and mixed with fibers to enable football pitches to look pristine even in the darkest months of winter. Damaged parts from studs only need forking and with a good heat lamp set up they'll take root again within 24 hours making that area look like nothing was done to it.
Maldon Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:02 am

Maldon Stag wrote:
bux46 wrote:Your knowledge on the subject certainly impressed me Maldon ....

Cheers Bux, I won't criticise someone doing something I know nothing about. It's not just about re-seeding and watching the green stuff grow the hard work is the preparation. Seeds nowadays have been designed to be hardwearing and mixed with fibers to enable football pitches to look pristine even in the darkest months of winter. Damaged parts from studs only need forking and with a good heat lamp set up they'll take root again within 24 hours making that area look like nothing was done to it.

Think you need to propose yourself to the club for a consultancy Maldon! If that **** Drew Broughton could get a role at the club doing sod all then your knowledge couldnt fail to be a better investment. To echo the thoughts of others to say the pitch had deteriorated markedly between the Northampton and Vale games is an understatement.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:13 am

that’s us told lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:56 am

Maldon Stag wrote:

You certainly can, I spent 3 years working for Talbot Farm Landscapes where, we laid many football pitches for the likes of QPR, Portsmouth and Burton Albion to name a few when we worked for SIS Pitches, we also landscaped some of the Olympic Village in London including part of the London Stadium after the original contractor gave back the contract as it was a step to far.

Preparation is the key when laying or re-laying a sports surface, the soil needs to be worked then worked again, you can't just take the top off and re-seed the underneath hoping all is going to grow well for a few seasons because it wont.

Drainage is the key, making sure you have the soakaway running in the right direction to the lowest point of the pitch. Getting it laser lined is crucial, this will ensure the water will drain away to it's lowest point and not hang about underneath the pitch like it is doing. It's plain to see to someone like myself who has worked in the "Sports Surface Industry" that the re-seeding was done on a small budget, most football clubs use the "Turf Roll System," it costs a little bit more but, it's the only way for a sustainable surface that isn't going to look like it's been ploughed ready to plant potatoes after a few games in wet conditions. The science behind growing grass for professional football use has come on in leaps and bounds in the last 15 years, there's a grass out there now that can grow in sand and without water, I think it's called TIFF 118, it's sprayed on in a mulch helping it bind to the sand enabling it to take root and grow.

I would also urge the club to buy more sun lamps, having a row of three isn't going to work, shell out a little bit more and increase the amount to cover a quarter of the pitch due to the West Stand blocking out even the winter sun, this will encourage the grass to grow even in winter when temperatures are minus 1.

Any groundsman worth his salt will know that you can't scrimp and scrape when it comes to the playing surface because, a few days of rain will have it looking like a paddy field.

The pitch needs a lot of work doing to it over a few seasons, laser 50 points of the pitch, find the lowest point then, work from there.

Fantastic mate thank you. I knew you knew what you were on about which is why I asked. Hopefully your post can help JR see that he needs to give Mez a bit more money for the pitch as I know a lot of the stuff he’s had over the years has been funded by the SSA.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:41 pm

Dan wrote:
Maldon Stag wrote:

Fantastic mate thank you. I knew you knew what you were on about which is why I asked. Hopefully your post can help JR see that he needs to give Mez a bit more money for the pitch as I know a lot of the stuff he’s had over the years has been funded by the SSA.

The fact remains - we haven’t lost a fixture to the rain in five years
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum