{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Transfer gossip

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Transfer gossip

Postby Fitzy499 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:09 am

We can still sign players that are free agents, who knows what/if they have other signings planned over the next few days
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:20 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Random Hero wrote:Radfords cutting their losses

The rebuttal to that is why then did we sack Dempster with all the costs associated with that and bring in a manager who would have cost money and compensation?

You could see this as a kind of "pre pre season" period, where Coughlan is clearing the ground for next season. In the meantime he has enough resources to finish mid table.

Clearly there's no point in buying expensive players at this moment in time, as the promotion campaign is dead and buried. So the Radfords are thinking a bit more long term, cutting down the squad and getting loan players to fill the gaps. Then in the summer, when better players become available, Coughlan will be in a good position to rebuild.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:23 am

Random Hero wrote:
The One wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:Looks like we're making a bloody good go at going for the only relegation place available at the moment.

Laughable.

We will not be relegated. Chill.

David. Seriously.

Yes seriously Ben
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:26 am

Bradders wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
Random Hero wrote:Radfords cutting their losses

The rebuttal to that is why then did we sack Dempster with all the costs associated with that and bring in a manager who would have cost money and compensation?

You could see this as a kind of "pre pre season" period, where Coughlan is clearing the ground for next season. In the meantime he has enough resources to finish mid table.

Clearly there's no point in buying expensive players at this moment in time, as the promotion campaign is dead and buried. So the Radfords are thinking a bit more long term, cutting down the squad and getting loan players to fill the gaps. Then in the summer, when better players become available, Coughlan will be in a good position to rebuild.

Makes sense IF we have enough to finish mid-table. However Our midfield options look paper thin, and our strike force is an injury away from being well Jimmy Knowles and Craig Davis....
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby lifestags » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 am

I've calmed down a little bit having had time to think about it, the thing is for me i like footballers that aren't scared to get on the ball and we've got rid of 2 yesterday.

Mellis, I get, fantastic ability but is a bit of a strawberry.

Khan I've found to be a bit unlucky, he has so much ability but never showed it consistently, he would have a good game then go missing in the next, I suppose you can't deny facts though and he has played under 3 managers here now and he still found himself on the bench, that must say something. I do think however he will go on to have a career at a higher level.

Cook was a surprise, I rated him, not everyone's cup of tea but could hold the ball up and knew where the net was, im surprised we've let him go (same for Khan) when we spent so much money on him. I know he might not of been happy on the bench but in the position we're currently in I would of still made him stay (or find a replacement, surely we can't rely on Davies)

The 2 positives I have got from this is the amazing performance againt Bradford, none of these lads started, and also from what I have seen I believe Charlsey can take on the mellis role and seems to have plenty of ability.

I am slightly worried that we now have 3 cms (including watt) that have played less then 25 games between them.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:37 am

Could be the making of young Jimmy Knowles. Maybe the manager thinks he’s ready.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:40 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Could be the making of young Jimmy Knowles. Maybe the manager thinks he’s ready.

I think Knowles is a fantastic prospect...but he's as ready for the first as Dempster was.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:52 am

lifestags wrote:I've calmed down a little bit having had time to think about it, the thing is for me i like footballers that aren't scared to get on the ball and we've got rid of 2 yesterday.

Mellis, I get, fantastic ability but is a bit of a strawberry.

Khan I've found to be a bit unlucky, he has so much ability but never showed it consistently, he would have a good game then go missing in the next, I suppose you can't deny facts though and he has played under 3 managers here now and he still found himself on the bench, that must say something. I do think however he will go on to have a career at a higher level.

Cook was a surprise, I rated him, not everyone's cup of tea but could hold the ball up and knew where the net was, im surprised we've let him go (same for Khan) when we spent so much money on him. I know he might not of been happy on the bench but in the position we're currently in I would of still made him stay (or find a replacement, surely we can't rely on Davies)

The 2 positives I have got from this is the amazing performance againt Bradford, none of these lads started, and also from what I have seen I believe Charlsey can take on the mellis role and seems to have plenty of ability.

I am slightly worried that we now have 3 cms (including watt) that have played less then 25 games between them.

Watt is definitely not a CM as was shown Tuesday night. Agree on Charlsey though he does like he can play
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:00 am

Lifestags, your description of Khan could be applied exactly to Omari Sterling-James too.

Baffled as to why Khan would be shipped out and he is still here. Plays a blinder in the reserves or a chickenfeed trophy game, gets picked on the back of it, then goes missing never to be seen for months again.

Now he's our backup option if we have a bunch of injuries. Hardly inspiring.
Last edited by stagmanrob on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:01 am

stagmanrob wrote:Lifestags, ypur description of Khan could be applied exactly to Omari Sterling-James too.

Baffled as to why Khan would be shipped out and he is still here. Plays a blinder in the reserves or a chickenfeed trophy game, gets picked on the back of it, then goes missing never to be seen for months again.

Now he's our backup option if we have a bunch of injuries. Hardly inspiring.

I honestly think that's down to their being no interest in the player.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:26 am

Foresttownstag wrote:We are 14/1 for a bottom 2 finish.

At the start of the season I took the 50/1 offered :oops:
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:30 am

We ought to get Sheehan in.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:55 am

SH logged on this morning cannot see any comment anywhere :?:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:31 pm

Some people have said that this is a 'Radford cost cutting exercise'. I don't think that is the case.
I might be barking up the wrong tree, but I think GC has told a lot of the squad that they can go and look for another club (because he doesn't rate/like them) ... and thats what's happened... they have gone and done just that.

The trouble is, GC didn't address the real problem - which was to strengthen the defence & midfield with a bit of experience and leadership.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:34 pm

The One wrote:We ought to get Sheehan in.

Where does he play? I'm sure hes got something lined up
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:36 pm

Sedgwick wrote:

Centre back.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:43 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Centre back.

Yep get him in! always thought he was a right back
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:

Centre back.

Yep get him in! always thought he was a right back

He used to be a left back (left footed) but had played centre back for a few years now.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:54 pm

stagmanrob wrote:
DogsDoDahs wrote:This is the start of a massive clearout of proven failure and deadwood. Signing young hungry players who will run there hearts out for 90 minutes but will return to there parents in may. There is not the quality GC wants to sign on permanent deals at this time of the season. He has offloaded players who will not play for stags again whilst he is manager. many more will follow before long. The new season will see as many new faces as fatty signed but not on massive wages. Expect to see massive changes for next season and we go again will high expectations for promotion not failure after failure.
:coys:

And that all goes out of the window if we start 2020/21 season back in the Conference.
I'd like to know what makes certain posters so sure that we can't finish 24th?

If Rose and Maynard get crocked we have Jimmy Knowles and Weetabix ankles to pin our hopes on.

If CJ, Bish and Macca (who have largely been cack all season) get crocked we have OSJ and unproven young lads.

If Sweeney and Chief are out we have another kid and the timebomb that is Preston.

Bobby's competition is someone who nobody knows whether he's a good keeper or not either.

Please tell how if we don't wrap them in cotton wool, how this is a squad to easily see us to safety?

I wish I was as sure as you David and DogsDooDahs

This squad has to be streets ahead in quality compared to the 13/14 squad who were mostly non-league level. Even star player Clucas was new to League football. Ollie Palmer was leading the attack.

They managed a decent finish just outside the playoffs. Surely this lot can almost match that, with some good management, and if we don't have a good manager then the squad is irrelevant.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:06 pm

i’m really worried, I just don’t think we’ve got enough. I wanted to see an experienced centre mid field and someone to replace cook, I so hope to be proved wrong
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:09 pm

There is no way we'll go down. If you believe that then what we've done makes perfect sense. If you dont then I can see why its worrying.

We won't go down. Not even close. Given that why rush in during the window to bring in quality. Best to wait till the summer, save budget now if we can and build a team when everyone is out of contract from other clubs.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Chacawab » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:14 pm

You’ve got more confidence than me Jamie! I’m not sure the quality is there across the pitch.

Three points today and I’ll feel much better
Chacawab
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rigsby » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:28 pm

I wish I had the confidence that others have. This team has been awful for a year now. Teams around us are, in the main, used to a relegation scrap. We're not. We still need a good few points to be safe. 3 today and I'd feel a little more relaxed.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Chacawab wrote:You’ve got more confidence than me Jamie! I’m not sure the quality is there across the pitch.

Three points today and I’ll feel much better

Same here - witnessing the performance Tuesday sapped all confidence after the win on Saturday. It was dreadful.

Hopefully as we are at home we can have a performance similar to the game against Bradford.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:42 pm

The performance on Tuesday was as much an outlier as the Bradford win though since GC came in, maybe Grimsby as well. But in every other game we’ve looked more than capable.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum