{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dempster going nowhere - chairman gives full backing

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Dempster going nowhere - chairman gives full backing

Postby sunray » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:41 am

I fear the Peter principle - promoted to one job above your ability

But you have to remember Alex Ferguson was one game from being sacked for poor results until he won the 1990 FA Cup Final.

So let's get behind CR and JR by giving him our full support. They are not stupid and will take the right decision at the right time for the good of the club.

We need to get off JD back and support the club. The club needs to give JD support in the form of an experianced mentor or bring back Ben Futcher on the coaching staff who was there when they went through with twelve games with only 2 wins and ended in the playoffs
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:17 am

A lot of clubs who have promoted from within are doing well now but didn't to begin with.... Artell at crewe is a good example who's brought their youth through and they are flying. Dempster job is probably to do the same, not go out and buy all the top top players but bring through our own in the next couple of years... Just have to wait and see.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:19 am

sunray wrote:I fear the Peter principle - promoted to one job above your ability

But you have to remember Alex Ferguson was one game from being sacked for poor results until he won the 1990 FA Cup Final.

So let's get behind CR and JR by giving him our full support. They are not stupid and will take the right decision at the right time for the good of the club.

We need to get off JD back and support the club. The club needs to give JD support in the form of an experianced mentor or bring back Ben Futcher on the coaching staff who was there when they went through with twelve games with only 2 wins and ended in the playoffs

Eyes are stinging.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:22 am

WVStag wrote:
sunray wrote:I fear the Peter principle - promoted to one job above your ability

Eyes are stinging.

:lol:

I feel so daft for forgetting about Fergie when the parallels are so blindingly obvious :oops:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:30 am

fans were well behind the team on Saturday..... until we got trounced - again
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Sedgwick wrote:A lot of clubs who have promoted from within are doing well now but didn't to begin with.... Artell at crewe is a good example who's brought their youth through and they are flying. Dempster job is probably to do the same, not go out and buy all the top top players but bring through our own in the next couple of years... Just have to wait and see.

Hymas alluded to this a couple of months back, about Crewe’s model and how they like it, and not chopping and changing managers all time. Which is fine, if that’s the message from the beginning of the season, however, the promotion and top 3 budget has been the message.
No Breaks Allowed
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BigGuy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Sedgwick wrote:A lot of clubs who have promoted from within are doing well now but didn't to begin with.... Artell at crewe is a good example who's brought their youth through and they are flying. Dempster job is probably to do the same, not go out and buy all the top top players but bring through our own in the next couple of years... Just have to wait and see.

Im happy paying £25 a pop whilst we wait and see, hope others are.
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby S7AGS » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:34 pm

I think giving Dempster a go at signing players in Jan could set us back a further year...He's showed noting to suggest even with his 'own' players he will turn it round! If he siagns players and then doesn't win any games in Jan he'd have to go, we'd then bring a new man in who would just use the age old excuse of "I need my own players".

The timing right now couldn't be more perfect - get a new manager in to take a look over the next 3 - 4 games and then let him strengthen in Jan and have a good go at the second half of the season....who knows, even gain some momentum to take into the following season

The sacking of Dempster feels inevitable to me and most so we surely have to act now before the Jan window
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:42 pm

There's no chance he'll be here by January. He isn't going to pick up the points required. If he is, God help us.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby S7AGS » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:50 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:There's no chance he'll be here by January. He isn't going to pick up the points required. If he is, God help us.

Its like we are in a living nightmare lol

Everyone knows he's going 'soon' but we seem to be trying to inflict as much long term damage as possible before we make the move...needs to happen before we are in the transfer window not half way through it.

I'm almost dreading us picking up a point in the next few games as bad as it sounds as its just going to delay the inevitable
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:20 pm

No Breaks Allowed wrote:

Hymas alluded to this a couple of months back, about Crewe’s model and how they like it, and not chopping and changing managers all time. Which is fine, if that’s the message from the beginning of the season, however, the promotion and top 3 budget has been the message.

Agreed but no cub would say they're going into a season and not trying to get promoted.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:33 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
No Breaks Allowed wrote:

Agreed but no cub would say they're going into a season and not trying to get promoted.

bang on Sedgwick, everyone would be fuming at a lack of ambition if the board said we are trying to get youth players through and not aim for promotion especially as we've been going for it the past 2 seasons
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:46 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
No Breaks Allowed wrote:

bang on Sedgwick, everyone would be fuming at a lack of ambition if the board said we are trying to get youth players through and not aim for promotion especially as we've been going for it the past 2 seasons

None of it stacks up. Artell/Crewe had youth team players in and around the first team constantly through the season like they always do...We’re doing nothing of the kind. Smith has had a few league games because the midfield have been hopeless, and Clarke was used once due to injury so Dempster is hardly following Crewe’s model at the minute is he?

As for not signing top players, we signed Maynard, Donohue, and paid a 6 figure sum for Cook straight off the bat, and now he’s talking about bringing players in in January (no mention of the youth) so there goes that theory.

Do you really think that after being so close last season, our budget for this season, and having forked our for 2 top strikers, that promotion wasn’t Dempsters remit? It’s just been a poor error of judgement that’s taking far too long to rectify.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:02 pm

let's not pretend for one minute that these players are as bad as our league position suggests, it's totally down to this play in your own half negative, all back for corners , boring tactics, that would be the same if the youth or senior players are selected. until he changes his style of play and our forwards get any sort of service this will continue.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Why are people talking about Crewe and Artell like they are some sort of Galaticos? I'm not so sure about aspiring to be them.

They currently sit 5th and have achieved nothing this season, they could drop like a stone and even finish below or close to us come May. It's easy to fall for a bit of early season hype and lose sight that they were a mid table side for the past two years.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:14 pm

JD will maintain fans are negative when we are calling for us to leave at least one player upfront for a corner. It's my most hated gripe in football and bemuses me every time a manager does it. Apply some pressure when the ball is clear by having someone chasing it down.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:37 pm

S7AGS wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:There's no chance he'll be here by January. He isn't going to pick up the points required. If he is, God help us.

Its like we are in a living nightmare lol

Everyone knows he's going 'soon' but we seem to be trying to inflict as much long term damage as possible before we make the move...needs to happen before we are in the transfer window not half way through it.

I'm almost dreading us picking up a point in the next few games as bad as it sounds as its just going to delay the inevitable

I get what you're trying to say S7AGS, but nobody actually knows anything. The majority are (but for some of the confused) just hoping. I personally have gone past that point and can see JD being here until the end of the season, indicative of the football incompetency displayed by board at this time.

Some of us have been doing this since early September, let's not forget, the majority at least for the past 4-6 weeks, this whole 'surely if we lose this weekend he's gone' routine. If it's gone this far, I'm starting to wonder if it will ever happen.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby spanishstag » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:57 pm

Of course someone knows what's happening ,its just that they aren,t posters on here
( I suppose i,m one of your confused ) :lol:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:25 pm

[quote="WVStag"][quote="sunray"]I fear the Peter principle - promoted to one job above your ability

The absolute difference as I've been saying for months is that Dempster has no credentials of experience to warrant this opportunity for heavens sake.

Sir Alex built one of the most exciting sides ever in his Aberdeen side of the 80s who won the old Cup Winners Cup competition and the Scottish League title. It's totally anomalous to compare the two situations. He was given time at Man Utd on the basis of his achievements NOT blind faith based on club loyalty.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:27 pm

If he's here till the end of the season gates will be below 3000 before too long.
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm sorry but the comparison with Artell is just not applicable.

Dempster has shown nothing to suggest he is a manager, let alone one worth being patient for. We should have been patient with Flitcroft who was proven. If we are to go down the Artell route we should have done that with Murray. He is a club legend, made good signings and showed potential on a relatively tight budget. I wish we'd have backed him and then shown patience. Everything at this club is done back-to-front and counter-intuitively.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:52 pm

He’s too nice. Would you be scared of a rollicking from him. He’s not management material imo, and I don’t mean as a manager you have to dish out a rollicking to get results, but when the time comes I’d laugh at this guy. He emits no emotions at all other than being afraid.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:19 pm

AlanStag wrote:Why are people talking about Crewe and Artell like they are some sort of Galaticos? I'm not so sure about aspiring to be them.

They currently sit 5th and have achieved nothing this season, they could drop like a stone and even finish below or close to us come May. It's easy to fall for a bit of early season hype and lose sight that they were a mid table side for the past two years.

I don't fancy our chances against them. So what does that say about us !
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:26 am

gavinbrookes wrote:I'm sorry but the comparison with Artell is just not applicable.

Dempster has shown nothing to suggest he is a manager, let alone one worth being patient for. We should have been patient with Flitcroft who was proven. If we are to go down the Artell route we should have done that with Murray. He is a club legend, made good signings and showed potential on a relatively tight budget. I wish we'd have backed him and then shown patience. Everything at this club is done back-to-front and counter-intuitively.

Spot on
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby west country stag » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:20 am

Needs to be sorted asap , with being only 6 points off the bottom .
If JR takes the route of keeping JD / Glover , we might aswell oil the dreaded trap door now .
If we fall out of the football league again it will take longer than 5 years to get back .......
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum