{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dempster post match & BBC highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Dempster post match & BBC highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:26 pm

Last edited by Son Of Sherwood on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Dempster post match

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:31 pm

My glass eyes just gone to sleep
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:33 pm

Son Of Sherwood wrote:

I’d say JD knows the writing is on the wall.

I’m disappointed. But he basically says, and I agree, that the players have let him down.

Me not him (about the players): no fight, no spirit, no initiative, no pride. Happy to take a very good wage for doing naff all. The only time I see them up close is when the subs are warming up. No interest, no effort, no investment in the game. Probably thinking about the night out and the pay cheque.

If I behaved like that in my job they would sack me. And rightly so.

Utterly despondent with this shower. At least in the Haslam days some of the players seemed to care, the problem was they weren’t good enough.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Re: Dempster post match & BBC highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:36 pm

Discuss...

Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:42 pm

Mellis says he’s massively disappointed but I’m not getting that.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby WVStag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:42 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
Son Of Sherwood wrote:

I’m disappointed. But he basically says, and I agree, that the players have let him down.

Me not him (about the players): no fight, no spirit, no initiative, no pride. Happy to take a very good wage for doing naff all. The only time I see them up close is when the subs are warming up. No interest, no effort, no investment in the game. Probably thinking about the night out and the pay cheque.

Utterly despondent with this shower. At least in the Haslam days some of the players seemed to care, the problem was they weren’t good enough.

Whilst it’s true that a lot of the playing staff have not up to scratch this season, the majority of them were at the top of their game under Flitcroft. Even though they tailed off towards the end of the season, they were still at that point a good 3/4 levels above the current showings. People can talk about players taking responsibility all they want, and that is of course true, but the responsibility is the managers. A managers coaching, tactical competence, man management and all other facets can raise a players/squads level dramatically. That is why, as clichéd as it may seem to some, that the buck will and should always stop with the manager.

Dempster is the common denominator. He is the problem. He’s been a poor manager and now, if the Radford’s and the board have any sense, will remove him.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:45 pm

WVStag wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:
Son Of Sherwood wrote:

Whilst it’s true that a lot of the playing staff have not up to scratch this season, the majority of them were at the top of their game under Flitcroft. Even though they tailed off towards the end of the season, they were still at that point a good 3/4 levels above the current showings. People can talk about players taking responsibility all they want, and that is of course true, but the responsibility is the managers. A managers coaching, tactical competence, man management and all other facets can raise a players/squads level dramatically. That is why, as clichéd as it may seem to some, that the buck will and should always stop with the manager.

Dempster is the common denominator. He is the problem. He’s been a poor manager and now, if the Radford’s and the board have any sense, will remove him.

Fair points, maybe, but these are professional footballers. Half the time they look like they couldn’t care less. Partly the managers fault but I think the players need to look at themselves too
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:46 pm

We've been calling for Mellis to start, today showed why JD doesn't want to start him.
Poor on the ball and their midfield running by him at will, dismal performance
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:48 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:[tweet][tweet] I[/tweet][/tweet]We've been calling for Mellis to start, today showed why JD doesn't want to start him.

Even when we play Bishop/Macca/Tomlinson in there the opposition breeze past them even though that’s the side of the game they’re supposed to be good at.

The midfield needs a complete overhaul.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:51 pm

An honest interview by JD. I feel sorry for him - he is at a loss to know what to do. I think the writing is on the wall.
He needs to turn this around very quickly, because if he doesn't, I'm not sure how much more of this he or the Radfords can take.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Vice President wrote:An honest interview by JD. I feel sorry for him - he is at a loss to know what to do. I think the writing is on the wall.
He needs to turn this around very quickly, because if he doesn't, I'm not sure how much more of this he or the Radfords can take.

Sod that!

He’s ample time to turn it around. Time is up surely!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:53 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:We've been calling for Mellis to start, today showed why JD doesn't want to start him.

The problem with Mellis is he reckons himself too much. He played England Under 16 to under 19. He was on Chelsea’s books. I expect he thought he would play premier league and maybe senior international.

He’s dropped down the leagues and now he probably thinks he’s too good for us.

He needs to apply himself properly and work hard or he will end up at 32 playing for Billericay and wondering where it all went badly wrong for him.

He’s clearly a Talent but he needs to start fulfilling his potential. I hope he can do that.
Last edited by NorthLondonStag on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:54 pm

It looks like Matt Preston and Mal Benning were at fault for the first goal. Matt Preston needed to get a block or tackle in on Daniel Udoh and Mal Benning just let Josh Laurant run past him and failed to pick him up.

Mal Benning gave the ball away on the edge of the Shrewsbury area that resulted in the counter attack for the second goal.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:55 pm

Vice President wrote:An honest interview by JD. I feel sorry for him - he is at a loss to know what to do. I think the writing is on the wall.

We’ve been saying this for 2 months now, nothing has changed.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:56 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
WVStag wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:
Son Of Sherwood wrote:

Fair points, maybe, but these are professional footballers. Half the time they look like they couldn’t care less. Partly the managers fault but I think the players need to look at themselves too

It’s the managers fault, NLS, for the reasons I’ve already stated. It is the responsibility of the manager to get the best out of the players, that is the bottom line. That is why they get the sack.

The players will not be happy with their performances, that is a fact. Well paid as they may be, no footballer likes playing muck or being part of a side that is muck. It’s not hard to see why they may be despondent under Dempster. His ineptitude is glaring. Players want to be enthused, stretched on the training ground and above all things, inspired. Dempster clearly does absolutely none of those things, and the rest. That is his fault.

Maynard is an example. He’s already spoke publicly of his frustration so far this season. Again, it’s not hard to see why. He has consistently been one of the better finishers around at this level (and in the FL) for a long time. He’s come here and he’s feeding off scraps and if he’s not scoring, he won’t be happy. In a well coached team, he’d be happy (see last season at Bury as the example). Again, the blame for this falls at Dempster’s door.

There’s nothing left to take apart. The responsibility is his.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:59 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Sod that!

I totally agree! However I was looking at it from JR's perspective (who I think might want to give it a bit more time - I could be wrong though?)
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Vice President wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Sod that!

I totally agree! However I was looking at it from JR's perspective (who I think might want to give it a bit more time - I could be wrong though?)

If the reasons Radford has for giving Dempster more time are purely for football reasons, then that confirms the level of competency he has for football decisions is appalling. That includes the board members also, if they have a contribution to the hiring and firing.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby nick_stags » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Those goals were a absolutely shambolic and pitiful.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:08 pm

WVStag wrote:
Vice President wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Sod that!

If the reasons Radford has for giving Dempster more time are purely for football reasons, then that confirms the level of competency he has for football decisions is appalling. That includes the board members also, if they have a contribution to the hiring and firing.

Yep - I agree. I felt at the time appointing JD was a bad decision. It is time the board admitted their mistake.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:25 pm

Jacob Mellis was below average today and had a very strange game. His did not seem to have his head in the right place. In the first half he was looking to make some good passes but dwelt on the ball a few times and got caught in possession. He was clearly getting very frustrated and when we had a free kick on the edge of the Shrewsbury area he turned round to start remonstrating with Conrad Logan who had screamed "Move the ball!" at him. He seemed more bothered about what Conrad was saying than the free kick. Krystian Pearce had to come over to calm him down. To be fair to him, he kept wanting the ball but every good pass was followed by a bad one. In the 2nd half, he started to get in a bit of argy bargy with Ollie Norburn and caught him on the edge of our area but the ref played on. Norburn then started complaining vociferously to the referee and Mellis was clearly trying to wind Norburn up. I've just looked at the brief highlights and I'm not sure if Mellis swings an arm round at Norburn before Norburn then swings back and blasts a ball at him in the face. I would have subbed him in the 2nd half along with Andy Cook who was not holding the ball up or keeping possession of the ball at all. Andy Cook spent most of the afternoon complaining he had been fouled by Shrewsbury defenders when there looked nothing wrong.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Norman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:31 pm

Son Of Sherwood wrote:Discuss...

A team that’s devoid of confidence and a manager!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:33 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Jacob Mellis was below average today and had a very strange game. His did not seem to have his head in the right place. In the first half he was looking to make some good passes but dwelt on the ball a few times and got caught in possession. He was clearly getting very frustrated and when we had a free kick on the edge of the Shrewsbury area he turned round to start remonstrating with Conrad Logan who had screamed "Move the ball!" at him. He seemed more bothered about what Conrad was saying than the free kick. Krystian Pearce had to come over to calm him down. To be fair to him, he kept wanting the ball but every good pass was followed by a bad one. In the 2nd half, he started to get in a bit of argy bargy with Ollie Norburn and caught him on the edge of our area but the ref played on. Norburn then started complaining vociferously to the referee and Mellis was clearly trying to wind Norburn up. I've just looked at the brief highlights and I'm not sure if Mellis swings an arm round at Norburn before Norburn then swings back and blasts a ball at him in the face. I would have subbed him in the 2nd half along with Andy Cook who was not holding the ball up or keeping possession of the ball at all. Andy Cook spent most of the afternoon complaining he had been fouled by Shrewsbury defenders when there looked nothing wrong.

Most of Andy Cook’s second touches are a tackle. I know you rated him last week but I think he’s been poor overall.
I think Maynard and Rose is a better partnership.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:38 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Jacob Mellis was below average today and had a very strange game. His did not seem to have his head in the right place. In the first half he was looking to make some good passes but dwelt on the ball a few times and got caught in possession. He was clearly getting very frustrated and when we had a free kick on the edge of the Shrewsbury area he turned round to start remonstrating with Conrad Logan who had screamed "Move the ball!" at him. He seemed more bothered about what Conrad was saying than the free kick. Krystian Pearce had to come over to calm him down. To be fair to him, he kept wanting the ball but every good pass was followed by a bad one. In the 2nd half, he started to get in a bit of argy bargy with Ollie Norburn and caught him on the edge of our area but the ref played on. Norburn then started complaining vociferously to the referee and Mellis was clearly trying to wind Norburn up. I've just looked at the brief highlights and I'm not sure if Mellis swings an arm round at Norburn before Norburn then swings back and blasts a ball at him in the face. I would have subbed him in the 2nd half along with Andy Cook who was not holding the ball up or keeping possession of the ball at all. Andy Cook spent most of the afternoon complaining he had been fouled by Shrewsbury defenders when there looked nothing wrong.

Spot on.
Although we shouldn't have took a forward off when trying to win a game against 10 men like clueless did, if you were going to take one off it would have been Cook. He was abysmal and imo the worst Stags player today but of course clueless watches a totally different game.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:52 pm

I was encouraged by Andy Cook's 2nd half performance at Swindon but he was very poor today. In fact, I started thinking about Matt Rhead because on my last visit to Shrewsbury 5 years ago Matt Rhead had to be subbed after 30 minute because Jamie McGuire had stupidly got himself sent off after being wound up by Liam Lawrence.

I was thinking that Matt Rhead:
a) won more long balls forward in the air than Andy Cook;
b) held the ball up better than Andy Cook; and
c) had a better touch and laid the ball off better than Andy Cook.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:55 pm

Logan for there second goal. So slow coming off the line if you look closely you can see a snail overtake him.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum