{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Decade?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Decade?

Postby Chadman » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Who would be your best XI of the decade as 2020 approaches?

Here is my choice plus choices from several Stags fans

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/w ... 1-10127072
Chadman
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:02 am

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Give it a rest, man!
Edders
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7849
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:24 pm
Location: In the land of the Merry Men

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Alan Marriott, Lee Beevers, Matt Green, Krys Pearce.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5477
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Give it the title winning team.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby Spiritater » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:55 pm

Agree Cass, at least they had some spunk inside them
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 20225
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:04 pm

My team was as follows:

Goalkeeper
Alan Marriott (201 league appearances and one goal!)

Defence:
Right Back: Lee Beevers (92(5) league appearances and three goals).
The "Captain Scarlet – Indestructible!" member of our defence who played through so many injuries to help get us over the line. Who can ever forget him popping his arm back in his shoulder at Kenilworth Road before defeating the Mighty Luton.

Centre Half: Luke Jones (56(1) league appearances and 10 goals.)
Scored a massive 8 goals from centre half to help the Stags back to the Football League. Arguably our Player of the Season. He made the difference when he came back into the team. Very unlucky with injuries when he returned to the Stags 2 years later.

Centre Half: Krystian Pearce (174(3) league appearances and 13 goals).
Has been our Player of the Season for the last three seasons. Included in the League 2 Team of the Season. A tremendous signing by Adam Murray. Chief!!

Left Back: Mal Benning (161(5) and 9 goals).
Mal is one of the best attacking left backs that I’ve ever seen play at Field Mill. Another great signing by Adam Murray perhaps with a little help from Micky Moore.

Midfield:
Louis Briscoe (126(49) league appearances and 34 goals.)
I’ve forgotten what it was like to have a midfield player who regularly scored goals. Another vital member of our National League Championship winning side.

Adam Murray (136(6) league appearances from 2010 and 13 goals).
Captain Fantastic. Got us back in the Football League by sheer will power at times. Did a very good job as manager on a low budget.

Sam Clucas (31(12) league appearances and 8 goals.)
It was a massive shame that we had to sell him so quick but clearly one of the best players to put on a Stags shirt as he ended up playing in the Premier League. We should have never sold him to Chesterfield though. A massive mistake. I ruled out Ben Whiteman as he only played half a season for us and he was a loan player.

CJ Hamilton (96(27) league appearances and 13 goals.)
Lightning quick and unplayable on his good days. Fantastic last season.


Centre Forwards:
Matt Green (159(14) league appearances and 80 goals).
80 league goals!! Last minute winner at Hereford. Club legend. Enough said.

Tyler Walker (44(2) league appearances and 22 goals.)
The only loan player I included on the basis that he played a whole season. Quality player who may eventually end up playing in The Championship. One of our key attacking players last season along with CJ Hamilton, Jacob Mellis and Mal Benning. Included in League 2 Team of the Season.


Subs:
Matt Rhead (56(64) league appearances and 15 goals.
One of the best Plan B’s we’ve ever had and who will ever forget him heading on Alan Marriott’s goal kick to Matt Green on that special night at Hereford. Another former Player of the Season.

Danny Rose (86(38) appearances and 34 goals.)
Battles for everything and leads from the front. Excellent in the air for his size. Looks set to break the 50 goal target for the Stags.

Jacob Mellis (60(18) league appearances and 4 goals.)
Our best passing midfield player and a quality player who combines particularly well with CJ Hamilton. Get Adam Murray to do the running for him and give him the ball.

Ryan Tafozolli (107(2) league appearances and 8 goals.)
Quality left sided centre half who now has the chance to play in The Championship with Hull City. I would have loved to have seen him play in a stronger Stags team such as our team last season.

Rhys Bennett (80(4) league appearances and 4 goals.)
Another quality centre half who has played for the Stags and who won the Player of the Season.

Ritchie Sutton (128(8) league appearances.)
He could come on and play anywhere in the back four and do a good job. A very good defender who was hard to get past. Another Player of the Season.

Reserve Keeper:
Conrad Logan (80 league appearances.) I’d give this place to Conrad just ahead of Bobby Olejnik on the basis that he has made more league appearances but both are very good keepers to have in your squad.

Worth a mention for the squad:
Key members of our Play Off and Championship winning sides in the Conference Premier.

Anthony Howell - 88(14) league appearances and 12 goals.
Lindon Meikle – 64(49) league appearances and 12 goals
Junior Daniel – 57(21) league appearances and 9 goals
Lee Stevenson – 49(6) league appearances and 17 goals
John Dempster – 88(2) league appearances and 5 goals

Manager: Paul Cox.
Only one of three Mansfield Managers who I have seen win a league title. Won 22 out of the last 25 league games to win the league which will never be repeated.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6156
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:36 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:My team was as follows:

Goalkeeper
Alan Marriott (201 league appearances and one goal!)

Defence:
Right Back: Lee Beevers (92(5) league appearances and three goals).
The "Captain Scarlet – Indestructible!" member of our defence who played through so many injuries to help get us over the line. Who can ever forget him popping his arm back in his shoulder at Kenilworth Road before defeating the Mighty Luton.

Centre Half: Luke Jones (56(1) league appearances and 10 goals.)
Scored a massive 8 goals from centre half to help the Stags back to the Football League. Arguably our Player of the Season. He made the difference when he came back into the team. Very unlucky with injuries when he returned to the Stags 2 years later.

Centre Half: Krystian Pearce (174(3) league appearances and 13 goals).
Has been our Player of the Season for the last three seasons. Included in the League 2 Team of the Season. A tremendous signing by Adam Murray. Chief!!

Left Back: Mal Benning (161(5) and 9 goals).
Mal is one of the best attacking left backs that I’ve ever seen play at Field Mill. Another great signing by Adam Murray perhaps with a little help from Micky Moore.

Midfield:
Louis Briscoe (126(49) league appearances and 34 goals.)
I’ve forgotten what it was like to have a midfield player who regularly scored goals. Another vital member of our National League Championship winning side.

Adam Murray (136(6) league appearances from 2010 and 13 goals).
Captain Fantastic. Got us back in the Football League by sheer will power at times. Did a very good job as manager on a low budget.

Sam Clucas (31(12) league appearances and 8 goals.)
It was a massive shame that we had to sell him so quick but clearly one of the best players to put on a Stags shirt as he ended up playing in the Premier League. We should have never sold him to Chesterfield though. A massive mistake. I ruled out Ben Whiteman as he only played half a season for us and he was a loan player.

CJ Hamilton (96(27) league appearances and 13 goals.)
Lightning quick and unplayable on his good days. Fantastic last season.


Centre Forwards:
Matt Green (159(14) league appearances and 80 goals).
80 league goals!! Last minute winner at Hereford. Club legend. Enough said.

Tyler Walker (44(2) league appearances and 22 goals.)
The only loan player I included on the basis that he played a whole season. Quality player who may eventually end up playing in The Championship. One of our key attacking players last season along with CJ Hamilton, Jacob Mellis and Mal Benning. Included in League 2 Team of the Season.


Subs:
Matt Rhead (56(64) league appearances and 15 goals.
One of the best Plan B’s we’ve ever had and who will ever forget him heading on Alan Marriott’s goal kick to Matt Green on that special night at Hereford. Another former Player of the Season.

Danny Rose (86(38) appearances and 34 goals.)
Battles for everything and leads from the front. Excellent in the air for his size. Looks set to break the 50 goal target for the Stags.

Jacob Mellis (60(18) league appearances and 4 goals.)
Our best passing midfield player and a quality player who combines particularly well with CJ Hamilton. Get Adam Murray to do the running for him and give him the ball.

Ryan Tafozolli (107(2) league appearances and 8 goals.)
Quality left sided centre half who now has the chance to play in The Championship with Hull City. I would have loved to have seen him play in a stronger Stags team such as our team last season.

Rhys Bennett (80(4) league appearances and 4 goals.)
Another quality centre half who has played for the Stags and who won the Player of the Season.

Ritchie Sutton (128(8) league appearances.)
He could come on and play anywhere in the back four and do a good job. A very good defender who was hard to get past. Another Player of the Season.

Reserve Keeper:
Conrad Logan (80 league appearances.) I’d give this place to Conrad just ahead of Bobby Olejnik on the basis that he has made more league appearances but both are very good keepers to have in your squad.

Worth a mention for the squad:
Key members of our Play Off and Championship winning sides in the Conference Premier.

Anthony Howell - 88(14) league appearances and 12 goals.
Lindon Meikle – 64(49) league appearances and 12 goals
Junior Daniel – 57(21) league appearances and 9 goals
Lee Stevenson – 49(6) league appearances and 17 goals
John Dempster – 88(2) league appearances and 5 goals

Manager: Paul Cox.
Only one of three Mansfield Managers who I have seen win a league title. Won 22 out of the last 25 league games to win the league which will never be repeated.

Wow. Are you retired TTF? :D
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby The One » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:25 pm

Thats filled the Chad up.
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10793
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby Beano » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:40 pm

The One wrote:Thats filled the Chad up.


It won’t be included, the grammar is correct and it doesn’t slag off the fans.
User avatar
Beano
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2549
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby spanishstag » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Chadman wrote:Who would be your best XI of the decade as 2020 approaches?

Here is my choice plus choices from several Stags fans

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/w ... 1-10127072

No 1 reporter stan searle end of discussion
spanishstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby spanishstag » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:27 pm

Marriott
White Pearce Taffazoli Benning

Mellis Murray Briscoe

Green Walker
spanishstag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1795
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby Ridge » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:50 pm

spanishstag wrote:Marriott
White Pearce Taffazoli Benning

Mellis Murray Briscoe

Green Walker


Preston red carded from this lineup?
Ridge
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby Jimstag » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:53 pm

Depends on talent or what they did at the stags?

TTF is about right on achievements but on ability it would mainly be made up of players from the last couple of years. Better players in a better league but many did not deliver promotion like Paul Cox’s side.

I think Adam Chapman needs a mention. He didn’t leave on the best terms but his set piece delivery and long throws were a big part of our artillery at the time. Exodus needs a mention in that but I don’t think he was as influential.
Jimstag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:09 am

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby Spiritater » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:21 pm

I'd have thought Sir Calvin would've had an honourable mention ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 20225
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:18 pm
Location: Somewhere fluffy.

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:05 am

Marriott - just because
Beevers - would play with his shoulder left in changing room
Jones
Tafazolli
Benning - For that goal
Murray
Whiteman
Clucas
Green
Walker
Andrew - For that goal

Manager - Paul Cox
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby Hjeldefan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:22 am

Marriot
Beevers Pearce Jones Benning
Briscoe Murray Whiteman Clucas
Green Walker
Manager - Paul Cox
Usually wouldn't include Whiteman who didn't play for us that long, but he was absolutely superb and we have missed a top quality centre midfielder since coming up really.
Hjeldefan
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:48 am

What's it based on?

Sentiment, success, or ability?

Surely you can't have loanees.

Marriott

Benning tafazoli Jones Pearce white

Murray clucas Mellis

Green Andrew

That is a blend of sentiment, success and ability.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby part time pete » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:51 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:What's it based on?

Sentiment, success, or ability?

Surely you can't have loanees.

Marriott

Benning tafazoli Jones Pearce white

Murray clucas Mellis

Green Andrew

That is a blend of sentiment, success and ability.


Why have you White playing at left wing back and Benning playing at right wing back. :shock:
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager
 
Posts: 6043
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:56 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:What's it based on?

Sentiment, success, or ability?

Surely you can't have loanees.

Marriott

Benning tafazoli Jones Pearce white

Murray clucas Mellis

Green Andrew

That is a blend of sentiment, success and ability.


Definitely some sentiment in there, Andrew over Walker is a crime :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1816
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:21 am

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby The One » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:30 am

BH_Stag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:What's it based on?

Sentiment, success, or ability?

Surely you can't have loanees.

Marriott

Benning tafazoli Jones Pearce white

Murray clucas Mellis

Green Andrew

That is a blend of sentiment, success and ability.


Definitely some sentiment in there, Andrew over Walker is a crime :lol:


He does state no loanees
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10793
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:48 am

Definitely no loanees. If loanees are allowed, Price and Whiteman would get in the team, but they were premier league players at the time!

Andrew gets the nod for 'that goal'... but he was pretty useless for us. Might put Rose in otherwise.

I'm sure you can look beyond benning and white appearing the wrong way round in a list Pete. Part Time Pete, more like Pedantic Pete.

When you sit down and think about it, it's a really hard team to pick.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:52 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Definitely no loanees. If loanees are allowed, Price and Whiteman would get in the team, but they were premier league players at the time!

Andrew gets the nod for 'that goal'...

I'm sure you can look beyond benning and white appearing the wrong way round in a list Pete. Part Time Pete, more like Pedantic Pete.

When you sit down and think about it, it's a really hard team to pick.


Whiteman was a Champ player.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5416
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby The One » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:04 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Definitely no loanees. If loanees are allowed, Price and Whiteman would get in the team, but they were premier league players at the time!

Andrew gets the nod for 'that goal'...

I'm sure you can look beyond benning and white appearing the wrong way round in a list Pete. Part Time Pete, more like Pedantic Pete.

When you sit down and think about it, it's a really hard team to pick.


Whiteman was a Champ player.


This is going well :)
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10793
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:17 pm

haha.... Thanks Musings and The One

*puts phone away.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4026
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: As 2020 looms - who should be in Stags' Team of the Deca

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:24 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Definitely no loanees. If loanees are allowed, Price and Whiteman would get in the team, but they were premier league players at the time!

Andrew gets the nod for 'that goal'...

I'm sure you can look beyond benning and white appearing the wrong way round in a list Pete. Part Time Pete, more like Pedantic Pete.

When you sit down and think about it, it's a really hard team to pick.


Whiteman was a Champ player.


Wrong !

League one player.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2412
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BH_Stag, Big yella, bobbystagsfan, MTFCMusings, northern stag, oldweststander, ST4GS, Stag on the Beach, sw19stag and 52 guests