{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

9 points adrift - season over?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 9 points adrift - season over?

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:04 pm

WVStag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:Returning to the topic, for me it is not just a case of is this season over but what is the impact to be of these past 5 months so far on next season? To salvage anything of this season, ie a top half finish in which good quality football is played to ensure spectators return week in and week out, will take all the energies and resources of the club. Any remaining energies of 2019/20 will be used to stabilise the club as a foundation for season 2020/21. Whoever is manager after the Port Vale game will in my mind have to do two things, rebuild and keep us entertained and hopeful for 2020/21.

The past five months have been wasted, in regards to not only achieving promotion but building on the progress of the past three seasons. So yes, unless a miraculous change of direction occurs and i hope it does, the season is over under the current stewardship.

Agree with the part in bold. This season is pretty much done, barring something pretty remarkable. With that said, reassessing the current squad and laying the ground work for next season should be the priority.

Oh come on, you’ve not even considered what happened to Notts County last season WV.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:12 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
WVStag wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:Returning to the topic, for me it is not just a case of is this season over but what is the impact to be of these past 5 months so far on next season? To salvage anything of this season, ie a top half finish in which good quality football is played to ensure spectators return week in and week out, will take all the energies and resources of the club. Any remaining energies of 2019/20 will be used to stabilise the club as a foundation for season 2020/21. Whoever is manager after the Port Vale game will in my mind have to do two things, rebuild and keep us entertained and hopeful for 2020/21.

The past five months have been wasted, in regards to not only achieving promotion but building on the progress of the past three seasons. So yes, unless a miraculous change of direction occurs and i hope it does, the season is over under the current stewardship.

Agree with the part in bold. This season is pretty much done, barring something pretty remarkable. With that said, reassessing the current squad and laying the ground work for next season should be the priority.

Oh come on, you’ve not even considered what happened to Notts County last season WV.

In my defence, I am an ignorant pig who hasn’t considered the certainty of us ending up like County if we remove the current underperforming incumbent.

My sincere apologies Cleveland.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:22 pm

BH_Stag wrote:I can agree with much of that Edwinstow.

One advantage of getting a new manager in now would be that the vast majority of fans have pretty much written off our promotion chances for this season, therefore he would have a good six months to get to grips with things, assess his squad, implement a few things etc. without having huge pressure on him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:25 pm

Dan wrote:

One advantage of getting a new manager in now would be that the vast majority of fans have pretty much written off our promotion chances for this season, therefore he would have a good six months to get to grips with things, assess his squad, implement a few things etc. without having huge pressure on him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let’s face it Dan, nobody would hold the new manager accountable for this seasons failings after Dempster has butchered it before December. As long as he is not completely hopeless (a bit like now), and fans can see what he’s trying to do then fine.
Last edited by BH_Stag on Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:33 pm

but we'd expect an improvement... yes?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:35 pm

Spiritater wrote:but we'd expect an improvement... yes?

Of course, improvement, evidence that they are trying to implement a style of play, that they have a plan, get fans on side.

The next appointment has to be right. If fans see the above but we still finish outside the playoffs he wouldn’t foot the blame.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:45 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:

Let’s face it Dan, nobody would hold the new manager accountable for this seasons failings after Dempster has butchered it before December. As long as he is not completely hopeless (a bit like now), and fans can see what he’s trying to do then fine.

Yeah right. Until the new manager doesn’t win for 3 games & you & the usual suspects will be on here stamping your feet wanting a change again :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:54 pm

Dan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:

Yeah right. Until the new manager doesn’t win for 3 games & you & the usual suspects will be on here stamping your feet wanting a change again :lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem we have now is that not only do we not win, but you can’t see what the manager is trying to implement. Nothing is coming to fruition, it’s just 11 players on a pitch without a plan sent out by a manager that doesn’t know his best team or formation.

Before you say it, I’m aware the 2nd half was better Saturday, but ultimately we failed to score and lost. A lot of water has gone under the bridge for 45 minutes of football to discount what has gone before.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:01 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:

The problem we have now is that not only do we not win, but you can’t see what the manager is trying to implement. Nothing is coming to fruition, it’s just 11 players on a pitch without a plan sent out by a manager that doesn’t know his best team or formation.

Before you say it, I’m aware the 2nd half was better Saturday, but ultimately we failed to score and lost. A lot of water has gone under the bridge for 45 minutes of football to discount what has gone before.

Dan doesn’t watch the games so he’s not seeing that we are completely devoid of an identity, a style of play, a football philosophy, a plan etc. Him going ultra defensive against Macclesfield and then a lot more attacking a week later at top of the league shows his lack of tactical nouse.

Also, I’m sure a new and proven manager would actually be able to win some home games :lol:
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:

So he doesn’t know what he’s doing, the players don’t know what they’re doing, yet the Swindon manager (top of the league) & some of the the Swindon fans (top of the league) have said what a good attacking team we were, how we deserved a point & how impressed they were with us. Not bad considering no one knows what they’re doing & they only scored one goal when we switched off at the back (not the managers fault) and missed a couple of easy chances (again not the managers fault).
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:39 pm

They’re not interested in a balanced view, Dan.

There’s managerial blood lust afoot.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:40 pm

In fairness dan he’s got one of the biggest budgets Mansfield have ever had and he’s a win ratio of 26% which currently makes him the 2nd worst manager we’ve ever had.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:41 pm

adamstag wrote:In fairness dan he’s got one of the biggest budgets Mansfield have ever had and he’s a win ratio of 26% which currently makes him the 2nd worst manager we’ve ever had.

You and your flippin’ budgets, Adam!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:41 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
adamstag wrote:In fairness dan he’s got one of the biggest budgets Mansfield have ever had and he’s a win ratio of 26% which currently makes him the 2nd worst manager we’ve ever had.

You and your flippin’ budgets, Adam!

Yeah.

They’re kind of important :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:41 pm

It’s only took him 19 games to lose another game despite finally achieving a performance out of the squad we know is more than capable. Praise the lord.

Interesting how the team playing well and creating chances is down to the manager rather than the players but defending and scoring is down to the players and not the manager.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:44 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Dan doesn’t watch the games so he’s not seeing that we are completely devoid of an identity, a style of play, a football philosophy, a plan etc. Him going ultra defensive against Macclesfield and then a lot more attacking a week later at top of the league shows his lack of tactical nouse.

Also, I’m sure a new and proven manager would actually be able to win some home games :lol:

You don’t know what I watch. I’ve been to 3 games this season & ill be at the next two. I wonder how many you’ve actually been to all the way from Cleveland.

Also I know people have got a problem with it but your last sentence was said so many times from Notts County fans when they wanted Kewell out & look how that turned out when they brought Ardley in exactly a year ago last Saturday. People can go on about them having nothing to do with us etc but while ever the mystic megs on here think a change will definitely be for the good, those of us with a bit of sense & vision will always be cautious especially when we saw what happened on our doorstep to a team who lost in the play off semi final then changed managers (twice) on their way to the conference.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Let’s face it Dan, nobody would hold the new manager accountable for this seasons failings after Dempster has butchered it before December. As long as he is not completely hopeless (a bit like now), and fans can see what he’s trying to do then fine.[/quote]

Yeah right. Until the new manager doesn’t win for 3 games & you & the usual suspects will be on here stamping your feet wanting a change again :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Before you say it, I’m aware the 2nd half was better Saturday, but ultimately we failed to score and lost. A lot of water has gone under the bridge for 45 minutes of football to discount what has gone before.[/quote]

So he doesn’t know what he’s doing, the players don’t know what they’re doing, yet the Swindon manager (top of the league) & some of the the Swindon fans (top of the league) have said what a good attacking team we were, how we deserved a point & how impressed they were with us. Not bad considering no one knows what they’re doing & they only scored one goal when we switched off at the back (not the managers fault) and missed a couple of easy chances (again not the managers fault).[/quote]

Amazing, you didn't mention anything after Grimsby, Walsall, Salford when their fans said we were raspberry and the worst team they'd seen in many a year.
Stop cherry picking to suit your love in with the most devoid, inept manager I've seen for many many a year.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:49 pm

How do you know he has? Also budgets mean nothing just look at Accrington Stanley. No good having expensive players like Maynard when he can’t hit a cows arse with a banjo. And he’s had enough chances too.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:52 pm

Like I said Dan, one 45 minutes counts for little when so much before has been absolute dross. I wish I was as easily pleased as you to be honest.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:54 pm

Dan wrote:

How do you know he has? Also budgets mean nothing just look at Accrington Stanley. No good having expensive players like Maynard when he can’t hit a cows arse with a banjo. And he’s had enough chances too.

Dan, I’ve always got on with you but it really makes me laugh when folk say budgets have nothing to do with anything - it really makes me laugh - in all honestly its absolute nonsense.

Budgets have everything to do with everything - it makes the difference - Accrington were going against the grain.

What turned Chelsea and Man City into what they are today compared to what they were before? The massive budget increase or unicorns?

Had we had a budget the size that managers had under haslam where they had a thick end of a penny we’d be happy where we are. The reason we aren’t happy where we are is that the radfords have invested heavily in the budget and told us to expect more.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:55 pm

Dan wrote:

Saying budgets mean nithing is the biggest load of crap.

Teams can & do achieve success on comparitive shoe strings and can screw up with big budgets. But these are exceptional events.

I'd wager that if you had a league table for all 4 divisiins based of budget & compared it to the real league tables they would be that far apart.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:58 pm

Dan wrote:

Another cherry picked example. Like I’ve told you time and time again, you can pick out an example for literally anything in football Dan.

Budgets obviously do mean something. It offers no guarantees, but every manager in the country would prefer to work with a big budget than a small one - they can pick from a greater pool of players, generally with more proven quality. When we had a small budget in this league we were languishing in the bottom half, as soon as we pumped it in we were competing at the top end...same in the conference, nothing happening, we then ramp it up and go playoffs, title in consecutive years... it’s not a coincidence.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:08 pm

Dan wrote:

Dan you’re having a Tony Blair mate. It’s a really basic concept to grab. Having more money at your disposal is obviously going to be a help rather than a hinderance for success.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:11 pm

I’m not saying it’s a hindrance I’m saying there’s no guarantees. I’ll bore you again, guess who had THE biggest budget in the history of League Two on their way to the conference. I’m not cherry picking I’m just chucking in examples to counteract those who keep harping on about our budget giving us some god given right to be high up in the table. It doesn’t always work like that. That’s all.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:13 pm

WVStag wrote:
Dan wrote:

Dan you’re having a Tony Blair mate. It’s a really basic concept to grab. Having more money at your disposal is obviously going to be a help rather than a hinderance for success.

Dan thinks if he had an Instax he'd still be selling photos to the Nationals :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum