{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

9 points adrift - season over?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 9 points adrift - season over?

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:44 pm

oldweststander wrote:In all honesty, I think it's all but over, unless you factor in the likely relegation dog fight.

I think we’ve just about enough in us under enlisted to avoid relegation
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:45 pm

WVStag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:You ought to try being scottish now thats tough atm

Thanks for that Spanish.

Its true though believe me
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:51 pm

adamstag wrote:
oldweststander wrote:In all honesty, I think it's all but over, unless you factor in the likely relegation dog fight.

Maybe we have but, didn't Notts County say that?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:33 pm

I don't think that many chairmen know enough about football that's why they employ a manager.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:42 pm

JR posted on facebook. It hurts. We go again coys
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:59 pm

The One wrote:JR posted on facebook. It hurts. We go again coys

it appears he may be on the owd vino tonight however it sounds like at last the voice of reason is showing the correct course of action to take
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:05 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
The One wrote:JR posted on facebook. It hurts. We go again coys

it appears he may be on the owd vino tonight however it sounds like at last the voice of reason is showing the correct course of action to take

Was posted 5 hours ago mate. He was on Sam Smiths.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:49 pm

adamstag wrote:

Not so sure mesen, if it came down to us wanting a point to be safe at the end of t'season who'd be stickin a pony on for these bottlers to get it?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:58 pm

wow, the pessimism is hyped up no end, maybe I have been around for too many seasons but i can see no reason why we cannot make the playoffs.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:01 pm

Ok, what are reasons we can?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:06 pm

there is a very good team waiting to play football and JD hasnt found it yet, but he came close to getting it right , in my opinion, against Swindon. If he continues to play that same midfield he will turn it round and the strikers we have are too, good for this level to carry on missing the chances they are at present.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:07 pm

Simple someone may have had a word in his ear ,we played well yesterday got forward well ,either it was last chance saloon or he had a dream ,but we played well ,we should have scored a couple at least,i think maynard was actually surprised that he recieved a decent pass ,so its not done yet even with JD ,cant stand the posters who disrespect him
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:13 pm

garlic wrote:there is a very good team waiting to play football and JD hasnt found it yet, but he came close to getting it right , in my opinion, against Swindon. If he continues to play that same midfield he will turn it round and the strikers we have are too, good for this level to carry on missing the chances they are at present.

Despite being told we've turned a corner in October, we've lost the xG battle in each of the last four league games, and had less shots than the opposition in every game.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:18 pm

spanishstag wrote:Simple someone may have had a word in his ear ,we played well yesterday got forward well ,either it was last chance saloon or he had a dream ,but we played well ,we should have scored a couple at least,i think maynard was actually surprised that he recieved a decent pass ,so its not done yet even with JD ,cant stand the posters who disrespect him

God you blow with the wind Spanish. ...at least we have the courage of our convictions. You change almost daily. Why did someone "need" to have a word in his ear? He's done what everyone has been calling for the past weeks....stop being defensive and make teams fear us rather than worry about them. The fact you are applauding his supposed eureka moment when it's not rocket science says everything about him.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:21 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
spanishstag wrote:Simple someone may have had a word in his ear ,we played well yesterday got forward well ,either it was last chance saloon or he had a dream ,but we played well ,we should have scored a couple at least,i think maynard was actually surprised that he recieved a decent pass ,so its not done yet even with JD ,cant stand the posters who disrespect him

God you blow with the wind Spanish. ...at least we have the courage of our convictions. You change almost daily. Why did someone "need" to have a word in his ear? He's done what everyone has been calling for the past weeks....stop being defensive and make teams fear us rather than worry about them. The fact you are applauding his supposed eureka moment when it's not rocket science says everything about him.

I have never changed ,he is our manager ,i dont think im qualified to put him right you obviously do
Last edited by spanishstag on Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:23 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

I have never changed ,he is our manager end of

So you have not said he should go...that it's a failed experiment....that he's lost the plot etc etc
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:26 pm

garlic wrote:there is a very good team waiting to play football and JD hasnt found it yet, but he came close to getting it right , in my opinion, against Swindon. If he continues to play that same midfield he will turn it round and the strikers we have are too, good for this level to carry on missing the chances they are at present.

I have seen nothing remotely that tells me this team can be anything other than average,even with Pep in charge. Love to see em shove those words down my throat ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Despite being told we've turned a corner in October, we've lost the xG battle in each of the last four league games, and had less shots than the opposition in every game.

I dont know who 1`told` you we had turned a corner, it certainly wasnt``` me, and i do realise that up to now the team under JD certainly hasnt gelled. personally I think the reason is quite simple. When you are managing the youth team your selection options are limited. Given the squad we have - which in my opinion is far too big and needs slimming down - he has been overwhelmed by the possibilities on offer, and is only now realising which combinations work. just as an example, both Mellis and Khan want to be the fulcrum of the forward play, which do you play as you cannot play both? And it is these conundrums that JD hasnt sorted. Will he given time? I personally hope so, but that doesnt mean he will.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:44 pm

garlic wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I dont know who 1`told` you we had turned a corner, it certainly wasnt``` me, and i do realise that up to now the team under JD certainly hasnt gelled. personally I think the reason is quite simple. When you are managing the youth team your selection options are limited. Given the squad we have - which in my opinion is far too big and needs slimming down - he has been overwhelmed by the possibilities on offer, and is only now realising which combinations work. just as an example, both Mellis and Khan want to be the fulcrum of the forward play, which do you play as you cannot play both? And it is these conundrums that JD hasnt sorted. Will he given time? I personally hope so, but that doesnt mean he will.

The manager and CEO were the ones who told us we had turned a corner.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MansfieldMick » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:44 pm

We've supposedly turned the corner a few times this season, Scunthorpe, Oldham, Walsall away, but only till the next match then we revert back to the defensive dross served up most of this season. Let's see if we continue to improve this time or the same happens again. COYS
MansfieldMick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:13 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

I have never changed ,he is our manager end of

So you have not said he should go...that it's a failed experiment....that he's lost the plot etc etc

Never said its a failed experiment never called for his head ,all i have ever said that it might not work out and it may have to change not that it must change check my posts
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:21 pm

By the way what is the courage of your conviction seeing as you dont put money into the club or contribute any more than anyone on here it seems to me that you are at best the finest keyboard warrior in north notts or the poorest critic in mansfield
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:39 pm

spanishstag wrote:By the way what is the courage of your conviction seeing as you dont put money into the club or contribute any more than anyone on here it seems to me that you are at best the finest keyboard warrior in north notts or the poorest critic in mansfield

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spanishstag, the gift that keeps on giving.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:52 pm

Returning to the topic, for me it is not just a case of is this season over but what is the impact to be of these past 5 months so far on next season? To salvage anything of this season, ie a top half finish in which good quality football is played to ensure spectators return week in and week out, will take all the energies and resources of the club. Any remaining energies of 2019/20 will be used to stabilise the club as a foundation for season 2020/21. Whoever is manager after the Port Vale game will in my mind have to do two things, rebuild and keep us entertained and hopeful for 2020/21.

The past five months have been wasted, in regards to not only achieving promotion but building on the progress of the past three seasons. So yes, unless a miraculous change of direction occurs and i hope it does, the season is over under the current stewardship.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:57 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Returning to the topic, for me it is not just a case of is this season over but what is the impact to be of these past 5 months so far on next season? To salvage anything of this season, ie a top half finish in which good quality football is played to ensure spectators return week in and week out, will take all the energies and resources of the club. Any remaining energies of 2019/20 will be used to stabilise the club as a foundation for season 2020/21. Whoever is manager after the Port Vale game will in my mind have to do two things, rebuild and keep us entertained and hopeful for 2020/21.

The past five months have been wasted, in regards to not only achieving promotion but building on the progress of the past three seasons. So yes, unless a miraculous change of direction occurs and i hope it does, the season is over under the current stewardship.

Agree with the part in bold. This season is pretty much done, barring something pretty remarkable. With that said, reassessing the current squad and laying the ground work for next season should be the priority.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum