{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

9 points adrift - season over?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 9 points adrift - season over?

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Dan wrote:I’m not saying it’s a hindrance I’m saying there’s no guarantees. I’ll bore you again, guess who had THE biggest budget in the history of League Two on their way to the conference. I’m not cherry picking I’m just chucking in examples to counteract those who keep harping on about our budget giving us some god given right to be high up in the table. It doesn’t always work like that. That’s all.

And when it doesn’t work, that’s when you question the manager, as he has all the tools at this disposal to do a good job.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:23 pm

It’s blatantly obvious that having a bigger budget makes a difference.

I wonder how Crawley and fleetwood went from being previously completely irrelevant in non-league to all of a sudden winning lots of promotions and ending up in the league where they’d never been before.

Was that due to a massive cash injection from their chairman increasing their budget or was it those troubling unicorns again?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:24 pm

Dan wrote:I’m not saying it’s a hindrance I’m saying there’s no guarantees. I’ll bore you again, guess who had THE biggest budget in the history of League Two on their way to the conference. I’m not cherry picking I’m just chucking in examples to counteract those who keep harping on about our budget giving us some god given right to be high up in the table. It doesn’t always work like that. That’s all.

Accrington going up with a small budget
County changing manager and going down
Exeter being bottom of the league and making the playoffs.

It certainly looks like you’re cherry picking examples. What about Luton who had a big budget and went up? Or Macclesfield that changed manager and stayed up? Or Every other team ever that has been bottom of the league and not made the playoffs. Examples can fit any narrative you want. Focus on us, and the truth is it isn’t anywhere near good enough for the investment the chairman is putting in.

Next appointment will be crucial. Get it wrong and yes it might not work out and we’ll be no better off, but if they do there homework and hopefully make a strong, considered appointment we’ll stand a good chance of being better off. The ball is in the Radfords court.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Dan, you just cannot help bringing up County to defend Dempster can you. If they weren’t local you wouldn’t be bringing them up at every single opportunity.

I have a season ticket and have had for many years now so I am seeing first hand how far off the mark Dempster is unlike yourself.

He’s had everything at his disposal to do well this season, he’s got a settled squad, had a fair amount of money to spend this summer, and he knew the players long before taking over as manager. However, his total lack of direction, footballing philosophy and tactical nouse has meant that despite the favourable conditions he’s entered into, we as a team have massively underwhelmed. Musings referenced an article in a different thread today that shows how much we’ve regressed in every single analytical category this season compared to last season. This shows that we’re a long way off from displaying the typical habits of a promotion contender, which is of course the aim, as it should be.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:35 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Dan, you just cannot help bringing up County to defend Dempster can you. If they weren’t local you wouldn’t be bringing them up at every single opportunity.

:roll: It’s nothing to do with defending Dempster at all. I’m using them as an example that you sometimes have to be careful what you wish for that’s all. The past few years has seen Notts & Orient lose in the play off semi final then get relegated the following season. With how things are going at the moment changing manager (like they both did) COULD upset the apple cart and we could end up going down. On the other hand we might get someone in & do an Exeter & fly up the table. The point is no one knows what will happen. So as I’ve already said, people like BH & yourself who seem convinced that a change will make for the better need to look at the other side of the coin & understand that it doesn’t always pan out like that. It’s called seeing both sides of the story which a few people on here always seem to struggle with.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:42 pm

Dan wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Dan, you just cannot help bringing up County to defend Dempster can you. If they weren’t local you wouldn’t be bringing them up at every single opportunity.

:roll: It’s nothing to do with defending Dempster at all. I’m using them as an example that you sometimes have to be careful what you wish for that’s all. The past few years has seen Notts & Orient lose in the play off semi final then get relegated the following season. With how things are going at the moment changing manager (like they both did) COULD upset the apple cart and we could end up going down. On the other hand we might get someone in & do an Exeter & fly up the table. The point is no one knows what will happen. So as I’ve already said, people like BH & yourself who seem convinced that a change will make for the better need to look at the other side of the coin & understand that it doesn’t always pan out like that. It’s called seeing both sides of the story which a few people on here always seem to struggle with.

To be fair, a few posts up I did reference how crucial the next appointment is, and if we get it wrong we could well be no better off (though I don’t personally think we’ll be any worse off) That’s probably as close as we’re gonna get so I’m gonna call it a night on that note! :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:35 pm

:lol: :lol: Night mate.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:35 am

Dan wrote:

Good morning Dan - I hope you slept well.

It would appear that you are advocating no change because you fear things may go wrong. I can see a weak argument in that logic but don't agree with it.

Can I ask you to consider what will probably (not definitely ) happen if we don't make a change. At the moment much of our crowd is made up of floating fans who for whatever reason don't always attend matches (I put myself in that category as I'm away most weekends). Those fans only come when they are being entertained and the club are doing reasonably well. Their admission fees go a long way to determining the type of team our club are able to put out and they will not continue to attend under the current entertainment and result levels. That will impact on next years team and if things don't improve on the teams for subsequent years. The lowering of standards WILL result in relegation back to non league at some point in the next few seasons. It is extremely doubtful (but not impossible) that the club will go the other way and climb the leagues. In short the club will decline and that's something none of us want, at best it will stagnate but the threat of relegation will always be there a bit like Macclesfield, Barnet etc. None of us want that for our club.

A few weeks ago the club launched half season tickets as they usually do at this time of year. They usually sell quite a few as people buy them as Chrimbo presents etc. It would be interesting to find out exactly how many they have sold and how the number compares to other years when we have been doing reasonably well. I would wager that very few have been sold and numbers are well down. If nothing else that should give the board a good idea as to what the supporters think of the current situation. Get the manager situation right and there is still time for those sales to rocket.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:56 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Dan wrote:

It would appear that you are advocating no change because you fear things may go wrong. I can see a weak argument in that logic but don't agree with it.

Can I ask you to consider what will probably (not definitely ) happen if we don't make a change. At the moment much of our crowd is made up of floating fans who for whatever reason don't always attend matches (I put myself in that category as I'm away most weekends). Those fans only come when they are being entertained and the club are doing reasonably well. Their admission fees go a long way to determining the type of team our club are able to put out and they will not continue to attend under the current entertainment and result levels. That will impact on next years team and if things don't improve on the teams for subsequent years. The lowering of standards WILL result in relegation back to non league at some point in the next few seasons. It is extremely doubtful (but not impossible) that the club will go the other way and climb the leagues. In short the club will decline and that's something none of us want, at best it will stagnate but the threat of relegation will always be there a bit like Macclesfield, Barnet etc. None of us want that for our club.

A few weeks ago the club launched half season tickets as they usually do at this time of year. They usually sell quite a few as people buy them as Chrimbo presents etc. It would be interesting to find out exactly how many they have sold and how the number compares to other years when we have been doing reasonably well. I would wager that very few have been sold and numbers are well down. If nothing else that should give the board a good idea as to what the supporters think of the current situation. Get the manager situation right and there is still time for those sales to rocket.

Good post Sandy.. sums up my feelings of the way the club is going.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:33 am

Agree a good post, the loyal fans have been watching the clubs fortunes for many moons and the board need to listen to the voters sometimes as do the politicians of course.

We don't expect then to react to every whim and criticism on here but this has gone beyond all that.
JR u must listen and act after Saturdays exit from the cup.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:45 pm

tillydog123 wrote:JR u must listen and act after Saturdays exit from the cup.

:shock: :shock: Another mystic meg!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Dan wrote:

Hi mate that’s a really good post & hard to disagree with. The only thing I would say is that I’m an old school advocate of going to support your team through thick & thin & not just the good times. Every club will have its hardcore base who go no matter what, we’ve probably got 2,500ish that we’ve had for years. As for the others, if they only want to come when it’s good then they’re not true supporters to me especially if you don’t support your team when they need you the most. And booing your own team off the pitch when they’ve won is moronic & something the hardcore support wouldn’t do. So apart from a few extra quid some of the floaters might do more damage than good so won’t be missed.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:00 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Agree a good post, the loyal fans have been watching the clubs fortunes for many moons and the board need to listen to the voters sometimes as do the politicians of course.

We don't expect then to react to every whim and criticism on here but this has gone beyond all that.
JR u must listen and act after Saturdays exit from the cup.

The FA Cup game next weekend is massive, it could save our season and we could be looking forward to a big third round tie.
If we get knocked out then everyone's moral will be on the floor and a change of manager will be almost inevitable.
You could argue that a league 1 team at home to a league 2 team is expected to win but another loss could be metaphorically the single piece of straw that broken the camels back.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:02 pm

Dan wrote:
Dan wrote:

Hi mate that’s a really good post & hard to disagree with. The only thing I would say is that I’m an old school advocate of going to support your team through thick & thin & not just the good times. Every club will have its hardcore base who go no matter what, we’ve probably got 2,500ish that we’ve had for years. As for the others, if they only want to come when it’s good then they’re not true supporters to me especially if you don’t support your team when they need you the most. And booing your own team off the pitch when they’ve won is moronic & something the hardcore support wouldn’t do. So apart from a few extra quid some of the floaters might do more damage than good so won’t be missed.

How many games have you missed in the last decade due to work?

People stay away for many reasons and lack of value for money is as valid a reason as any. It doesn't make someone less of a fan, it's just a question of priorities
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:32 pm

Dan wrote:
Dan wrote:

Dan for those of us who were at the Chorley game we witnessed a defensive minded ineffectual performance against a team with 1 win in 20 and who were bottom of the Conference. The passing was dreadful and crab like and we didn't create a chance on goal in the first half and it didn't get much better in the second. The game was crying out for a change and especially the introduction of Mellis who eventually got on with just over ten minutes left and then created the only goal.

Fans weren't booing the win for gods sake they were booing a clueless manager and a performance against inferior opposition who we should have taken to the cleaners. People support the club hence those that are either season ticket holders like myself or who go as often as they can. When you are served up such dross for week after week and have suffered the Morecambe Orient Cambridge Plymouth and Colchester performances the team needed to know it wasn't good enough. They weren't booing the win they were expressing the disillusionment of being served up such tripe. Field Mill is like a morgue now and even Q block is quiet because of Dempster and what he is giving us. It's RUBBISH. As many others have said most of us just trudged home unbelieving what we'd seen but some needed to express themselves. They aren't any less supporters for that.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Dan wrote:
Dan wrote:

Dan for those of us who were at the Chorley game we witnessed a defensive minded ineffectual performance against a team with 1 win in 20 and who were bottom of the Conference. The passing was dreadful and crab like and we didn't create a chance on goal in the first half and it didn't get much better in the second. The game was crying out for a change and especially the introduction of Mellis who eventually got on with just over ten minutes left and then created the only goal.

Fans weren't booing the win for gods sake they were booing a clueless manager and a performance against inferior opposition who we should have taken to the cleaners. People support the club hence those that are either season ticket holders like myself or who go as often as they can. When you are served up such dross for week after week and have suffered the Morecambe Orient Cambridge Plymouth and Colchester performances the team needed to know it wasn't good enough. They weren't booing the win they were expressing the disillusionment of being served up such tripe. Field Mill is like a morgue now and even Q block is quiet because of Dempster and what he is giving us. It's RUBBISH. As many others have said most of us just trudged home unbelieving what we'd seen but some needed to express themselves. They aren't any less supporters for that.

Good post, sums it up perfectly.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Dan wrote:
Dan wrote:

Booing is booing. It is negative and causes a toxic atmosphere. Don't dress it up as being positive as it clearly is not.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:34 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Booing is booing. It is negative and causes a toxic atmosphere. Don't dress it up as being positive as it clearly is not.

Sounds exactly like the football :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:18 pm

Spot on Andy. At the end of the day the team were booed off after a WIN. The rest of it is immaterial. The job was done. How it was done is irrelevant.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Dan wrote:Spot on Andy. At the end of the day the team were booed off after a WIN. The rest of it is immaterial. The job was done. How it was done is irrelevant.

It’s not irrelevant, and that’s the point you keep failing to realise Dan. Blackburn got booed off on Saturday after beating Barnsley 3-2 because their performance was so bad.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:25 pm

Dan wrote:Spot on Andy. At the end of the day the team were booed off after a WIN. The rest of it is immaterial. The job was done. How it was done is irrelevant.

The rest is NOT immaterial, far from it and how it was done is certainly relevant. To suggest otherwise points to clear lack of comprehension for perspective in football. Examining a result in isolation and disregarding the context around it is not the smartest thing to do.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:27 pm

Whereas direct personal abuse isn’t really very clever, booing after the game is perfectly acceptable.

If you can’t accept a few boos after serving up the latest load of crap at home then they need to grow a pair.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

It’s not irrelevant, and that’s the point you keep failing to realise Dan. Blackburn got booed off on Saturday after beating Barnsley 3-2 because their performance was so bad.

Do-good, 'holier than thou', 'you're not a real fan if you boo under any circumstance' mentality. Not all of us want to see Mansfield as an average side forever, however unlikely it is to change over our lifetimes.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Booing a win. Incredible.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:31 pm

Back on topic though, 9 points behind isn’t un-achievable if we hire the right manager!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum