{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Swindon scorethread sponsored by Serge Danot

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Swindon scorethread sponsored by Serge Danot

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:27 pm

Stags 2002 wrote:Carolyn appears to be posting cryptic clues on social media. Change afoot?

This of course may mean bugger all. :lol:

are you referring to instagram post:
"carolyn_radford
I don’t want a lot for Christmas. There is just one thing I need..."

That was posted before the game.
edit - actually scrap that, it was posted two hours ago. I thought I saw it before the game, perhaps she posted then and reposted later. Anyway, she did post it after the game.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:31 pm

James wrote:It’s okay giving the Notts County example for not sacking the manager.

Let’s look at it though. Notts County sacked 2 managers and got 2 managerial appointments horrendously wrong. Kewell was appointed as a Hardy trophy, despite being fairly average at Crawley, and Ardley was appointed despite obviously not fitting in with that club or style of players (as still being proved now)

We won’t end up like Notts County if we sack Dempster, as long as we take our time and do the due diligence to appoint someone that we need and fits our club.

That's my point Jamie. Not for one minute am I saying JD was a great appointment.

My concern is if they make another bad judgement with the next management appointment we could be in serious trouble. Notts County and Chesterfield are good examples of what can happen with a succession of bad appointments.

At risk of repeating myself ( but I think it's a valid point ), I hope next time they will advertise the job and interview at least who they consider to be the top three contenders.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:41 pm

geoffhill wrote:I was there today.Swindon were much the better side for 30 minutes.Second half they were hanging on playing for time going down with imaginary injuries.There was only one team trying to score and it wasn't Swindon.All the away fans stood and clapped the players and Dempster at the end.I hate losing but I was happier after the game this week than last week.All the team played well apart from Gordon and Shaughnessy.Maynard could have had a hat trick.If we play like this for the rest of the season we will win more than we lose.We are missing White very much.Logan had an excellent game too.

If Maynard could have had a hat trick you can add him to the pair who had a poor game,it is his job to kick it in that netty thing !
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
James wrote:It’s okay giving the Notts County example for not sacking the manager.

Let’s look at it though. Notts County sacked 2 managers and got 2 managerial appointments horrendously wrong. Kewell was appointed as a Hardy trophy, despite being fairly average at Crawley, and Ardley was appointed despite obviously not fitting in with that club or style of players (as still being proved now)

We won’t end up like Notts County if we sack Dempster, as long as we take our time and do the due diligence to appoint someone that we need and fits our club.

That's my point Jamie. Not for one minute am I saying JD was a great appointment.

My concern is if they make another bad judgement with the next management appointment we could be in serious trouble. Notts County and Chesterfield are good examples of what can happen with a succession of bad appointments.

At risk of repeating myself ( but I think it's a valid point ), I hope next time they will advertise the job and interview at least who they consider to be the top three contenders.

Andy, County are very much the exception to the rule. What about all the clubs that changed their manager that didn't get relegated? Stop panicking, there is no way we will go down.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:51 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Andy, County are very much the exception to the rule. What about all the clubs that changed their manager that didn't get relegated? Stop panicking, there is no way we will go down.
And Chesterfield, were they an exception to the rule?

I'm not panicking, as like you say the chances of us being relegated this season are remote.

Nevertheless the next appointment is crucial, so it shouldn't be rushed. We all need to be patient. Meanwhile let's get behind the manager and team.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:58 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I'm not panicking, as like you say the chances of us being relegated this season are remote.

Nevertheless the next appointment is crucial, so it shouldn't be rushed. We all need to be patient. Meanwhile let's get behind the manager and team.

Yes they were. More teams changed their manager and didn't get relegated, than did.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:01 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Fully get that the next appointment is crucial, but what exactly is it that you are waiting for for the timing to be right?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:22 pm

Problem is, we’re that desperate not to be like County and Chesterfield, we darent make a change. All 3 teams are completely different.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:03 am

James wrote:Problem is, we’re that desperate not to be like County and Chesterfield, we darent make a change. All 3 teams are completely different.

Exactly. Well, Notts and the sheep had something in common. Idiots running their clubs. We are nothing like those clubs. They were both a shambles when they went down.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:26 am

Reaction of Swindon Town Fans

“Best game I’ve seen so far at the CG. We’re brilliant going forward but easily got at at the back. Mansfield are supposedly a good defensive unit but look poor but look pretty good going forward. Definitely going to need another goal. Great stuff!”

“We're getting away with the sloppiness at the back only because Mansfield are so toothless up front. Need to sort it out. Grant having another great game. And it's lovely seeing Captain Caddis wearing the shirt again.”

“Very entertaining game, Town easily the better side but Mansfield are no mugs and we look weak at times at the back. Benda still makes me nervous at times but then looks a great keeper the next minute! Caddis told to get the balls forward as quickly as he can and is playing really well. Doyle looks well up for the challenge, Grant is an absolute beast. Everyone playing quite well again, don't go to sleep though cos Mansfield will not waste all their chances.”

“Maynard wastes with Benda sat on the floor and a gaping open goal.”

“We're not going to get away with this for much longer without conceding.”

“We've been raspberry this half”

“Not a very Swindon way to win. Streaky, hanging on all second-half.”

“It does prove we can do it. Not a great 2nd half, Mansfield probably deserved a draw on the 2nd half but we hung on with a scrappy 2nd half performance.”

“Great subs when we were getting pummelled. They never got a look in after. Not convincing by any means and Stags unlucky not to get something.”

“Fantastic win. Mansfield will take points off some of our promotion rivals.”

“We could have been 5-0 up in the first 30 minutes but were pretty wasteful with some golden chances. Caddis was immense at both ends of the pitch and was unlucky his curling shot hit the post. Then the passes started going astray and we looked like a side at the bottom of the league. Mansfield (who were woeful up til then) sensed they could get something out of the game and for the rest of the half and first 25 mins of the 2nd half were unlucky not to be level if not ahead. Every time they went forward they created a chance and a better side would have buried us. Thankfully the substitutions shored up our defence.”

“I felt that we dominated the first 35 mins or so, and should have been further ahead than 1-0. We then had a shaky few minutes before half time and but for Benda making a good save from Maynard. The early part of the 2nd half we seemed to be disrupted a little by the replacement of Lyden with Rose, and Mansfield played more direct, with their number 19 causing Fryers a lot of problems - his height and size were the problem. We rode our luck a bit in that period, although we did make some important blocks / clearances and a superb save by Benda. RW’s substitution of Broadbent for Doughty and the move to a back 5 was excellent and countered them pretty effectively. Whilst they had more of the play in the last 20 to 25 mins it was in truth fairly comfortable - very few alarms and we could (possibly should) have got a second goal from one of our breaks.”
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:55 am

BH_Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Fully get that the next appointment is crucial, but what exactly is it that you are waiting for for the timing to be right?
Taking time to make the right appointment. No knee jerk reaction /decision, because the fans are getting restless. No headhunting one man, or promoting within, like we've done on the last four occasions.

Despite what others are saying we could easily go down the road of Notts County and Chesterfield. They didn't just change their managers once during the season they did it more times. New managers want to bring in their players, if the manager is sacked they then want to bring in their own players and so it goes on. Teams arnt properly built in those circumstances and the downward spiral continues.

In the meantime we should get behind what we have now, especially if there are signs of improvement.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:46 am

BH_Stag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Another week without a win, and after each one the ‘But look at Notts County!” line just gets used more and more by the Dempster apologists.

Yes but just look at them ,just sayin

You change your mind with the wind.

Look ,ive already said its not working and things may need to change but hes our manager atm ,so i try not to slag him off every week ,its not good to see people dancing on his grave ,before hes expired
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:33 am

Andy, what your basically saying is we should accept lower mid table mediocrity for the foreseeable because:

- Notts and the raspberry changed managers multiple times and it didnt work out well (ignoring the huge off field issues in both cases which we dont have)
- Thing are improving ( based on a defeat but because we made a few chances second half when they could/should have been out of sight at half time)

You preach positivity and yet your whole strategy of giving more and more time is based almost purely around fear of the very worst outcome happening.

Our situation couldn't be further from either of the local failures. We arent talking about our 3rd or 4th manager of the season. We're talking about removing a manager who is failing in pretty much every way.

We have a good squad, decent owners and our position is nothing like the two examples. Fans rightly aren't prepared to see the manager struggle to break the top half with a team capable of so much more.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:37 am

spanishstag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Another week without a win, and after each one the ‘But look at Notts County!” line just gets used more and more by the Dempster apologists.

Yes but just look at them ,just sayin

You change your mind with the wind.

Look ,ive already said its not working and things may need to change but hes our manager atm ,so i try not to slag him off every week ,its not good to see people dancing on his grave ,before hes expired

He dug his grave after the Orient and Cambridge debacles without listing all the other disappointments and performances since this abysmal appointment and he's been lying in it for weeks ....it's just that JR and CR won't go and get the shovels to fill it in.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:20 am

Jamie wrote:Andy, what your basically saying is we should accept lower mid table mediocrity for the foreseeable because:

- Notts and the raspberry changed managers multiple times and it didnt work out well (ignoring the huge off field issues in both cases which we dont have)
- Thing are improving ( based on a defeat but because we made a few chances second half when they could/should have been out of sight at half time)

You preach positivity and yet your whole strategy of giving more and more time is based almost purely around fear of the very worst outcome happening.

Our situation couldn't be further from either of the local failures. We arent talking about our 3rd or 4th manager of the season. We're talking about removing a manager who is failing in pretty much every way.

We have a good squad, decent owners and our position is nothing like the two examples. Fans rightly aren't prepared to see the manager struggle to break the top half with a team capable of so much more.

It's the guys first season and he's had half a season so far. He deserves more time, especially after yesterday's improved performance.

How many of us were fully up to speed after a few months in our jobs ? I certainly wasn't.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:27 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Jamie wrote:Andy, what your basically saying is we should accept lower mid table mediocrity for the foreseeable because:

Andy, the objective was promotion with basically the same squad as last season, we have technically more fire power up front than last season as well.

We have played nearly 1/2 of the season, we’ve won 5 games and not beaten a side above us in the table.

The managers set up for matches and subs seriously have to be questioned, as mentioned previously we turn up at crisis club Macclesfield with such a defensive line up and effectively play for a point then go to table toppers Swindon and try to take the game to them, it just doesn’t add up.

It's the guys first season and he's had half a season so far. He deserves more time, especially after yesterday's improved performance.

How many of us were fully up to speed after a few months in our jobs ? I certainly wasn't.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:27 am

Amber Andy wrote:

He had a 3/4 year apprentiship. That's how he got the job isn't it?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:07 am

Sneag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

He had a 3/4 year apprentiship. That's how he got the job isn't it?

Not only that but I think he’d be afforded more time had the performances at home not been so disastrously dire and had he shown signs of improvement and learning from his mistakes - which he really hasn’t.

The away form “was” decent enough to mask the spectacularly poor home form, but now the away form has deserted him too.

It’s time to sack him.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:40 am

You're really scraping the barrel now with this "getting up to speed" stuff. He isn't an apprentice learning a new trade. Hes got one of the 92 most desirable jobs in English football. This isn't the platform for him to learn his trade... This is a professional football club with a big budget, big ambitions and expectations. If had a bottom half budget I'd agree he needs time to learn. That isn't the case. The chairman has set very clear expectations for the season.

Clearly it's not his fault hes not capable. It's the chairman's fault for taking a risk with a rookie. When you take risks you have to accept there can be a downside. Not all risks work out. This one hasn't, it shows no signs of "coming good" so it's time to correct the mistake and try something else.

JR needs to sort this out. His credibility is damaged with each passing day and each poor result. The time to act is now while the season can still be saved.

If you think creating 3/4 chances - which we missed and lost the game - justifies more time then there may be no helping you.

Be honest, your issue is the sacking of someone, anyone, not the fact hes actually any good or not or will come good. You just dont like people getting sacked. DF failed, you backed him. JD is failing, your backing him...

The saying in business goes... hire slow, fire fast... ie take time making the right appointment, but if you haven't. Act fast to correct it. That is very apt here.
Last edited by Jamie on Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:43 am

Jamie wrote:You're really scraping the barrel now with this "getting up to speed" stuff. He isn't an apprentice learning a new trade. Hes got one of the 92 most desirable jobs in English football. This isn't the platform for him to learn his trade... This is a professional football club with a big budget and expectations.

Clearly it's not his fault hes not capable. It's the chairman's fault for taking a risk with a rookie. When you take risks you have to accept there can be a downside. Not all risks work out. This one hasn't, it shows no signs of "coming good" so it's time to correct the mistake and try something else.

JR needs to sort this out. His credibility is damaged with each passing day and each poor result. The time to act is now while the season can still be saved.

If you think creating 3/4 chances - which we missed and lost the game - justifies more time then there may be no helping you.

Be honest, your issue is the sacking of someone, anyone, not the fact hes actually any good or not or will come good. You just dont like people getting sacked. DF failed, you backed him. JD is failing, your backing him...

The saying in business goes... hire slow, fire fast... ie take time making the right appointment, but if you haven't. Act fast to correct it. That is very apt here.

Good post
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SidneyOttewell » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:44 am

Amber Andy wrote:

But JD's had 19 matches to work out that we need creativity in midfield if we're going to improve...for me, that says it all. At the moment, I feel like I've had my season ticket money taken from me under false pretences.
SidneyOttewell
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:06 pm

SidneyOttewell wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

But JD's had 19 matches to work out that we need creativity in midfield if we're going to improve...for me, that says it all. At the moment, I feel like I've had my season ticket money taken from me under false pretences.

He also had the whole summer to add to the midfield, something we’ve needed to do for about 3 years now.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:12 pm

Jamie wrote:You're really scraping the barrel now with this "getting up to speed" stuff. He isn't an apprentice learning a new trade. Hes got one of the 92 most desirable jobs in English football. This isn't the platform for him to learn his trade... This is a professional football club with a big budget, big ambitions and expectations. If had a bottom half budget I'd agree he needs time to learn. That isn't the case. The chairman has set very clear expectations for the season.

Jamie I have two issues,

1 Are we being too hasty in sacking a rookie manager who has shown improvement ?

2 The fear that the board will make a knee jerk reaction and once again make a poor decision ( as they did with JD ), when appointing a new manager. Dismiss the comparison with Notts County and Chesterfield as much as you like but it could easily turn out like that.

Both these issues are based on facts.

Many on here want him gone now, with little thought or regard of what follows.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:15 pm

I don’t see any improvement in John Dempster managerial ability.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:17 pm

Dempster is the worse manager we have ever had.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum