{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Swindon scorethread sponsored by Serge Danot

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Swindon scorethread sponsored by Serge Danot

Postby WVStag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:26 pm

Amber Andy wrote:And if the new guy doesn't get us promoted.

And if the new guy doesn't get us playing attractive football.

And if the new guy is just as bad or worse.

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

The money used to pay up contracts, more than likely, will be set against next years budget.

I didn't want DF sacking, I certainly didn't want JD as manager, but if the performance has improved we should give him longer.

Despite what has been said ( and the budget ) it was unlikely we would have got promoted under a rookie manager, particularly as SE and DF ( two experience managers ), "failed" with similar squads.

Embarrassing and frankly ridiculous rationale to not remove an underperforming manager..
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:28 pm

On coach on way home, a Swindon fan just said to me, how did you lose that game. We were much much better, the youngster were fine, a 1000%better than last week. Could have been 5-5.Our game after the goal and second half poor finishing cost us again. Very entertaining game with Swindon holding on by time wasting and feigning injury. My only criticism is the late subs, too little too late.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:28 pm

WVStag wrote:

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

The money used to pay up contracts, more than likely, will be set against next years budget.

I didn't want DF sacking, I certainly didn't want JD as manager, but if the performance has improved we should give him longer.

Despite what has been said ( and the budget ) it was unlikely we would have got promoted under a rookie manager, particularly as SE and DF ( two experience managers ), "failed" with similar squads.

Embarrassing and frankly ridiculous rationale to not remove an underperforming manager..

Completely agree, utter nonsense.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Berryhillstagno1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:29 pm

On coach on way home, a Swindon fan just said to me, how did you lose that game. We were much much better, the youngsters were fine, a 1000% better than last week. Could have been 5-5.. Our game after the goal and second half poor finishing cost us again. Very entertaining game with Swindon holding on by time wasting and feigning injury. My only criticism is the late subs, too little too late.
Berryhillstagno1
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:30 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

Despite what has been said ( and the budget ) it was unlikely we would have got promoted under a rookie manager, particularly as SE and DF ( two experience managers ), with similar squads.

Let’s just stick with Dempster forever then, just in case everybody, that the new gaffer can’t change our fortunes! Let’s live in fear of ever sacking the manager because Notts County went down!

I'm not saying that.

All I'm saying is if the performance was improved today, especially away against the side at the top of the league, who are scoring for fun at the moment, maybe we shouldn't be so hasty.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

So Dempster deserves longer because you’re worried that a new manager wouldn’t improve on what has been a disaster of a first 4 months? Just an idiotic line of thinking.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Much improved performance because the midfield was so much better today. If we play like this we will be fine. Swindon faded badly in the second half and if they are top it says everything about League 2 this year.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

Despite what has been said ( and the budget ) it was unlikely we would have got promoted under a rookie manager, particularly as SE and DF ( two experience managers ), with similar squads.

Let’s just stick with Dempster forever then, just in case everybody, that the new gaffer can’t change our fortunes! Let’s live in fear of ever sacking the manager because Notts County went down!

I'm not saying that.

All I'm saying is if the performance was improved today, especially away against the side at the top of the league, who are scoring for fun at the moment, maybe we shouldn't be so hasty.

We didn't win Andy!!!! The side was changed for the better today but do you genuinely feel that was down to Dempster? If so how is it OK for him to suddenly have that thought process today after we've all been screaming for weeks about his ultra defensive mind numbing team selections and displays. And don't for a second get into the mindset that a one nil DEFEAT wipes out all the other defeats which have ruined this season already.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

I'm not saying that.

Come on. Swindon were the better side first half, we were better second half. Our expectations were promotion and at the end of November we are 9 points adrift of the playoffs having played 2 games more. The vast majority of performances have been tepid, and we haven’t beat a side outside the bottom 7. Our league position is exactly where we deserve to be, bottom half, and one decent half of football in a game that we ultimately ended up losing changes nothing in my eyes.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:35 pm

What’s the excuse for most crap this week?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:36 pm

london amber stag wrote:Much improved performance because the midfield was so much better today. If we play like this we will be fine. Swindon faded badly in the second half and if they are top it says everything about League 2 this year.

Define ‘fine’ considering the current league standings?
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:36 pm

Another week without a win, and after each one the ‘But look at Notts County!” line just gets used more and more by the Dempster apologists.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:36 pm

london amber stag wrote:Much improved performance because the midfield was so much better today. If we play like this we will be fine. Swindon faded badly in the second half and if they are top it says everything about League 2 this year.

Thanks LAS. I have said on another thread, an experience manger could turn this round.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:37 pm

WVStag wrote:

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

Evan if the team are showing improvement. ( I don't know if they have today, I'm waiting patiently to read Martin's report and feedback on here from those who attended the game ).

I still think Notts County is a good comparison. The reason I say that is JR hasn't got the best record in recruiting managers. Of the last three, one showed complete disloyalty and walked out, the other two were sacked. So there are no guarantees the next manager will be any better.

We won't be going up or down this season, so why rush, unless of course the performance against the top side was dire today.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:38 pm

adamstag wrote:What’s the excuse for most crap this week?

You win again
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:39 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

I'm not saying that.

19 games played, 15th in the table on 21 points- closer to 24th than we are 7th not only mathematically, but with the performances through the course of the season to represent it.

Read that, digest it, and now tell me if that's hasty.

HINT: It isn't.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby spanishstag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:40 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Another week without a win, and after each one the ‘But look at Notts County!” line just gets used more and more by the Dempster apologists.

Yes but just look at them ,just sayin
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:42 pm

Classic case of "if we play like that from now on we'll be fine" The thing is we won't play like that agains consistently, and also we failed to score again!
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:43 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

Evan if the team are showing improvement. ( I don't know if they have today, I'm waiting patiently to read Martin's report and feedback on here from those who attended the game ).

I still think Notts County is a good comparison. The reason I say that is JR hasn't got the best record in recruiting managers. Of the last three, one showed complete disloyalty and walked out, the other two were sacked. So there are no guarantees the next manager will be any better.

We won't be going up or down this season, so why rush, unless of course the performance against the top side was dire today.

Because the season as a whole has been dire Andy, that’s why. You think one decent half of football where we didn’t score changes anything?

For every time you call out an example of a team changing manager and going down (like County) anybody could counter it with an example where a managerial change has improved things.

Forget County, they are absolutely nothing to do with us!
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:45 pm

The 5 league games in December will probably define our season.
I only see 4 points obtained from them at the moment.
Wasn't at the game so will be interested in those who did about maybe a little hope.
Don't care which manager does it but it's a vital month.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:46 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Another week without a win, and after each one the ‘But look at Notts County!” line just gets used more and more by the Dempster apologists.

I'm not a "Dempster apologist". There shouldn't have been a vacancy and when there was he shouldn't have been given the job". I think the club falls down badly in recruiting managers because they never seem to have a shortlist or interview anyone.

I'm looking at the bigger picture. If the next management appointment is a knee jerk reaction it is likely we will get the wrong person. If that happens and things don't improve the club will be in a downward spiral like our Nottingham neighbours and those on the other side of the M1.

It is a very difficult time for the club. We need the right manager at the right time. Best to show a bit of patience.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:46 pm

chip63 wrote:The 5 league games in December will probably define our season.
I only see 4 points obtained from them at the moment.
Wasn't at the game so will be interested in those who did about maybe a little hope.
Don't care which manager does it but it's a vital month.

:coys:

But he shouldn’t have been here in November.

Yet here we are talking about him in December
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:47 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
WVStag wrote:

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

County sacked a manager in September who’d just taken them to the playoffs. Nolan had done something of note with them. They then replaced him with a rookie. Dempster has done absolutely nothing positive since taking over, and will not get us remotely close to our targets. If Radford sacks him, he’d obviously hire an experienced manager who’s got a proper CV to try and rectify the problems JD has caused, unlike what County did in their hiring of Kewell.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:48 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

I'm not a "Dempster apologist". There shouldn't have been a vacancy and when there was he shouldn't have been given the job". I think the club falls down badly in recruiting managers because they never seem to have a shortlist or interview anyone.

I'm looking at the bigger picture. If the next management appointment is a knee jerk reaction it is likely we will get the wrong person. If that happens and things don't improve the club will be in a downward spiral like our Nottingham neighbours and those on the other side of the M1.

It is a very difficult time for the club. We need the right manager at the right time. Best to show a bit of patience.

And what exactly are we waiting for? Another season to pass by? 2000 off the gate? What is the catalyst for change in your eyes? I’m intrigued.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:50 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Then what ?

Remember Notts County ?

I'm not saying that.

We didn't win Andy!!!! The side was changed for the better today but do you genuinely feel that was down to Dempster? If so how is it OK for him to suddenly have that thought process today after we've all been screaming for weeks about his ultra defensive mind numbing team selections and displays. And don't for a second get into the mindset that a one nil DEFEAT wipes out all the other defeats which have ruined this season already.

Of course it doesn't. By the same token teams tend to turn things round slowly, not all at once.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum