{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Managerial Shortlist Game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Managerial Shortlist Game

Postby wink68 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:39 am

JLStag wrote:Murray for me, given the financial backing that some of his successors had i think he'd have signed some real quality players, bearing in mind the ones he signed when our budget was supposedly a lot less.

You can sign 9 brilliant defenders, it's still nine at the back.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:08 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Jamie wrote:Evans for me... We looked at our best during his purple patch, he motivated the fans, knows everyone and is hated by all which can have its benefits... We didn't quite hit the same heights under DF and he bottled the run in twice. Cox showed he can't manage league teams with his one dimensional hoofing, Muz and Demps are both far to negative to succeed at a club with ambitions.

In an ideal world, i wouldn't have any. Never go back!!!

How many times do I have to go through this? 4th is higher than 12th.

Gazza you're getting obsessive now. We know you love Flitcroft & hate Evans and it's clouding your judgment. When Evans left we were not 12th. Evans left us in the same position in the league as Flitcroft did (or it may have been one place different), either way you're wrong.

Evans left us in 5th mate. He FINISHED (it's where you finish that counts, righ?) 12th. Flitcroft FINISHED in 4th. See the point.

Dan, your job means you spend most times stags are playing photographing County games. Now, I'm not saying this to say you aren't allowed an opinion. I would ask how you can come to the conclusions that Evans is great and Flitcroft is bad if you didn't witness either reign first hand?

So Evans left us in 5th, which means that's where his Mansfield Town managerial tenure finished then yes? So both managers left us in the play offs when their reigns finished.

Again you like others on here only read what you want to read. Where have I said "Evans is great and Flitcroft is bad"? And what has my job got anything to do with it? There's plenty of people on here who don't get to see the team play, doesn't mean they shouldn't have an opinion. I can remember you regularly on here saying how you had to work on Saturdays or you couldn't afford to go, doesn't mean I think you don't deserve an opinion. Bit of a daft last paragraph really mate.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:24 am

Jamie wrote:Evans for me... We looked at our best during his purple patch, he motivated the fans, knows everyone and is hated by all which can have its benefits... We didn't quite hit the same heights under DF and he bottled the run in twice. Cox showed he can't manage league teams with his one dimensional hoofing, Muz and Demps are both far to negative to succeed at a club with ambitions.

Didn't Evans also bottle it as Posh though? We can slant stats to suit whichever argument ;)

Evans got close, but his antics stirred up the fans & he had more men than the Grand Old Duke of York. Plus I don't remember us having half the fitness, finesse or cohesion we had with DF. And finally, he'd probably walk again, once he thought he'd propped up his CV

For me, Flitters or Coxy. Muzza is too great a gamble, based on his last tenure
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

How many times do I have to go through this? 4th is higher than 12th.

Gazza you're getting obsessive now. We know you love Flitcroft & hate Evans and it's clouding your judgment. When Evans left we were not 12th. Evans left us in the same position in the league as Flitcroft did (or it may have been one place different), either way you're wrong.

Evans left us in 5th mate. He FINISHED (it's where you finish that counts, righ?) 12th. Flitcroft FINISHED in 4th. See the point.

Dan, your job means you spend most times stags are playing photographing County games. Now, I'm not saying this to say you aren't allowed an opinion. I would ask how you can come to the conclusions that Evans is great and Flitcroft is bad if you didn't witness either reign first hand?

So Evans left us in 5th, which means that's where his Mansfield Town managerial tenure finished then yes? So both managers left us in the play offs when their reigns finished.

Again you like others on here only read what you want to read. Where have I said "Evans is great and Flitcroft is bad"? And what has my job got anything to do with it? There's plenty of people on here who don't get to see the team play, doesn't mean they shouldn't have an opinion. I can remember you regularly on here saying how you had to work on Saturdays or you couldn't afford to go, doesn't mean I think you don't deserve an opinion. Bit of a daft last paragraph really mate.

It is true I worked Saturdays and missed a decent amount of games, around the time of Paul cox's later years. Hence I make clear I'm talking about his conference years. When I couldnt afford to go, I generally watched on ifollow on the Sunday when the game is rewatchable.

My paragraph about your job was not intended to be meant that way, I thought I made it clear by saying that I don't think you can have an opinion. I was just curious how you formed that opinion, that is all.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:12 pm

I meant heights footballing wise, not league position. Evans left his side 5th with a game in hand for 3rd. Flitcroft left us in 4th. But it's not about that... Evans "might" have gone on to secure promotion. Flitcroft didn't- twice. A maybe is better than a no...

We need someone fresh with good ideas about winning football matches, not scraping points here and there, create a way of playing that everyone knows and is dangerous regardless of personal (to an extent). We need a culture, something fans know is the aim and players know its expected here.

What we have now feels a million miles from that, unfortunately.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:44 pm

Jamie wrote:I meant heights footballing wise, not league position. Evans left his side 5th with a game in hand for 3rd. Flitcroft left us in 4th. But it's not about that... Evans "might" have gone on to secure promotion. Flitcroft didn't- twice. A maybe is better than a no...

We need someone fresh with good ideas about winning football matches, not scraping points here and there, create a way of playing that everyone knows and is dangerous regardless of personal (to an extent). We need a culture, something fans know is the aim and players know its expected here.

You mean what we had last season.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:04 pm

wink68 wrote:
Jamie wrote:I meant heights footballing wise, not league position. Evans left his side 5th with a game in hand for 3rd. Flitcroft left us in 4th. But it's not about that... Evans "might" have gone on to secure promotion. Flitcroft didn't- twice. A maybe is better than a no...

Failure you mean? Don't forget a lot of people wanted Flitcroft out this time last year after his end of previous season & start to the next.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:37 pm

Pochitino is available.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:06 pm

Dan wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Failure you mean? Don't forget a lot of people wanted Flitcroft out this time last year after his end of previous season & start to the next.

Failure being our highest league placing since Keith Curles 23rd place in league 1 in 2003.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:07 pm

wink68 wrote:
Dan wrote:
wink68 wrote:

Failure being our highest league placing since Keith Curles 23rd place in league 1 in 2003.

We're still in the same league though so we might as well have finished 20th.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:27 pm

Dan wrote:
wink68 wrote:
Dan wrote:
wink68 wrote:

We're still in the same league though so we might as well have finished 20th.

Except we did not, we made the playoffs. Something we will not do with JD.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby spizz fan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:57 pm

Sneag wrote:Pochitino is available.

here here
Stag for life not just for Wembley
spizz fan
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:32 am

spizz fan wrote:

here here

More to the point, I’m hoping JR will be taking a leaf out of Levy’s book and sounding out potential managers currently out of work such as Tisdale and Jones.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:57 am

BH_Stag wrote:
spizz fan wrote:

here here

More to the point, I’m hoping JR will be taking a leaf out of Levy’s book and sounding out potential managers currently out of work such as Tisdale and Jones.

I doubt Spurs fans'd be happy with either ;)
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:43 am

Just when I thought we might get Jose, Spurs get a jump on us.....I suppose we could make do with Poch! !
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:21 pm

spizz fan wrote:

here here

But we have missed out on Jose :(
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:17 pm

wink68 wrote:

Yep, until it really mattered. ;)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum