{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Macclesfield scorefred sponsored by GAME WILL GO AHEAD

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Macclesfield scorefred sponsored by GAME WILL GO AHEAD

Postby oldweststander » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:13 am

Sorry Mr Performance Coach you are no more necessary than the manager.

The bottom line is the "Corby Boys" have failed and more disturbingly the board will not accept they have made another very poor appointment or three and do something about it.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby NG17_stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:14 am

Dan wrote:
Jamie wrote:We arent even good at being so defensive.

:lol: :lol: :lol: We've just kept our 2nd clean sheet in a week! :lol:

Dan’s right Jamie. We’ve just kept a clean sheet against Chorley (lowest scorers in the conference and also rock bottom of the league) and Macclesfield (4th lowest scorers in the league two). Come on... things are looking up :lol:
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Bros » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:20 am

I would like one of the directors (sat in the dry with probably a rug over their knees to keep warm) to explain to we huddled masses wet through on the tarraces why that performance was acceptable. Also as the manager didn't think to acknowledge us after the game would the directors like to thank us for putting up with the weather and the game
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:42 am

Bros wrote:I would like one of the directors (sat in the dry with probably a rug over their knees to keep warm) to explain to we huddled masses wet through on the tarraces why that performance was acceptable. Also as the manager didn't think to acknowledge us after the game would the directors like to thank us for putting up with the weather and the game

You’re not getting it Bros.

We are the worst fans in the world.

Flitcroft (and even Evans) always acknowledged the fans’ committment.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Stringy wrote:This morning, I asked Drewe what performance indicators we measure apart from running. His response was something about intensity and passion and not needing KPIs when we were kids.

While I fully accept that working hard and being brave is half of the battle, if it is the case that we are not actually measuring anything, then I am concerned.

Surely, the manager agrees on a style/philosophy and then it is the job of the performance coach to underpin that philosophy. For example, if the manager decides we are going to play a 5-3-2 wing back formation, and as one aspect of our play we try to set the wings backs one on one with the opposition full backs, then the performance coach should devise a method of measuring the success of this approach.

He could measure a simple stat, such as:

(1) The number of times the wing back was one on one with the opposition full back;

Alternatively, two statistics could be combined to create a metric (2) i.e. number of dribbles against opposition full backs vs crosses completed.

If this measuring highlights that we are only successful a small percentage of the time, then we can work on that area. It can also support individual players and units of the team in performing their roles adequately. Mellis, for example, could be measured on number of successful dribbles/passes, if it is his job to run through the lines and release the wing backs or strikers.

Again, I accept fully the argument that the only stat the matters is the score, but if we want to become a better team then we should be deliberately measuring different aspects of our play and trying to improve those/maintain immaculate standards each week.

If the manager has not set an agreed philosophy, and we are not measuring performance indicators, I suggest this explains a lot about what has happened on the pitch in the last couple of months.

Not just having a moan; maybe it would helpful for Dempster to undertake some kind of benchmarking exercise or if some short visits to other clubs were arranged for him to see what they are doing? I still can't tell what we are trying to do other than work hard and be brave.

And while we are at it can we get the subs to do a
PROPER warm up at half time. Again, yesterday, hoof ball across the pitch whilst the Macclesfield players are doing proper exercises. A friend of mine who has never been before couldn’t believe that it was happening, he mentioned it to me without me raising it.

It’s the same every week.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:59 pm

Hes not a Mansfield fan (so he’s not being ‘negative’) and he also said it was awful and he’s supported Bolton for years so he’s well qualified on that front.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby 1970Stag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:15 pm

I obviously wasn't at the game but everyone else was that has a negative comment to make. I just watched the highlights on goals express, looks to me like Maynard missed two sitters? They go in we have 3 points and comments of papering over the cracks...
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:27 pm

1970Stag wrote:I obviously wasn't at the game but everyone else was that has a negative comment to make. I just watched the highlights on goals express, looks to me like Maynard missed two sitters? They go in we have 3 points and comments of papering over the cracks...

The 1 on 1 he should have opened his body up more and hit it with the inside of his foot, he does this and he scores.

The 2nd it bounced up awkwardly for him.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:32 pm

Neither a sitter. The one that came across him bounced up and brushed his belly. If he got anything else on it the it was in.
The one on one was a very decent chance but not a sitter. He has a defender closeish by and the keeper closed down the angle.
It really was a garbage performance though
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:39 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
Stringy wrote:This morning, I asked Drewe what performance indicators we measure apart from running. His response was something about intensity and passion and not needing KPIs when we were kids.

While I fully accept that working hard and being brave is half of the battle, if it is the case that we are not actually measuring anything, then I am concerned.

Surely, the manager agrees on a style/philosophy and then it is the job of the performance coach to underpin that philosophy. For example, if the manager decides we are going to play a 5-3-2 wing back formation, and as one aspect of our play we try to set the wings backs one on one with the opposition full backs, then the performance coach should devise a method of measuring the success of this approach.

He could measure a simple stat, such as:

(1) The number of times the wing back was one on one with the opposition full back;

Alternatively, two statistics could be combined to create a metric (2) i.e. number of dribbles against opposition full backs vs crosses completed.

If this measuring highlights that we are only successful a small percentage of the time, then we can work on that area. It can also support individual players and units of the team in performing their roles adequately. Mellis, for example, could be measured on number of successful dribbles/passes, if it is his job to run through the lines and release the wing backs or strikers.

Again, I accept fully the argument that the only stat the matters is the score, but if we want to become a better team then we should be deliberately measuring different aspects of our play and trying to improve those/maintain immaculate standards each week.

If the manager has not set an agreed philosophy, and we are not measuring performance indicators, I suggest this explains a lot about what has happened on the pitch in the last couple of months.

Not just having a moan; maybe it would helpful for Dempster to undertake some kind of benchmarking exercise or if some short visits to other clubs were arranged for him to see what they are doing? I still can't tell what we are trying to do other than work hard and be brave.

And while we are at it can we get the subs to do a
PROPER warm up at half time. Again, yesterday, hoof ball across the pitch whilst the Macclesfield players are doing proper exercises. A friend of mine who has never been before couldn’t believe that it was happening, he mentioned it to me without me raising it.

It’s the same every week.
I've got to say that is poor and unprofessional.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:28 pm

After yesterdays performance i cant defend the management team at all .it was simply the most abysmal football i have ever had to watch if dempster can draw any positives from that game he needs to be sacked
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:49 pm

spanishstag wrote:After yesterdays performance i cant defend the management team at all .it was simply the most abysmal football i have ever had to watch if dempster can draw any positives from that game he needs to be sacked

From the man on another thread claiming to be a saint because he's never called for anyone to lose their livelihood.

Truly shown you to be a liar, a hypocrite and a joke. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:52 pm

Big yella wrote:
spanishstag wrote:After yesterdays performance i cant defend the management team at all .it was simply the most abysmal football i have ever had to watch if dempster can draw any positives from that game he needs to be sacked

From the man on another thread claiming to be a saint because he's never called for any to lose their livelihood.

Quote the response said if dempster can draw any positives from that game he needs to be sacked ,not i want to sack him ,plus never said i was a saint just you on your high horse
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:05 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Big yella wrote:

From the man on another thread claiming to be a saint because he's never called for any to lose their livelihood.

Quote the response said if dempster can draw any positives from that game he needs to be sacked ,not i want to sack him ,plus never said i was a saint just you on your high horse

You say "if Dempster can draw any positives from that game he needs to be sacked", well there is a video on this board of him doing exactly that, claiming positives from the game. Therefore, by your reckoning he needs to be sacked.

So saying someone needs to sacked, is different to calling for someone to be sacked is it? That's the poorest use of semantics I've seen in ages.
Liar. Hypocrite. Joke.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Big yella wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Big yella wrote:

You say "if Dempster can draw any positives from that game he needs to be sacked", well there is a video on this board of him doing exactly that, claiming positives from the game. Therefore, by your reckoning he needs to be sacked.

So saying someone needs to sacked, is different to calling for someone to be sacked is it? That's the poorest use of semantics I've seen
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:19 pm

So other than shortening my post, your reply is what exactly?
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Big yella wrote:So other than shortening my post, your reply is what exactly?

Simple i will never say sack him ,but its not working out well for him so he may nèed to be removed ,simple really
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:35 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Big yella wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Big yella wrote:

So saying someone needs to sacked, is different to calling for someone to be sacked is it? That's the poorest use of semantics I've seen[/quote
Watch parliment now they are good
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:36 pm

spanishstag wrote:
Big yella wrote:So other than shortening my post, your reply is what exactly?

Simple i will never say sack him ,but its not working out well for him so he may nèed to be removed ,simple really

There is absolutely no difference in those two statements. Saying he needs to be replaced IS saying sack him.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Jamie wrote:
Dan wrote:
Jamie wrote:We arent even good at being so defensive.

:lol: :lol: :lol: We've just kept our 2nd clean sheet in a week! :lol:

Because our defensive record has been so strong this year... Oh wait... yes we've had a clean sheet against the worst team in the conference and a team who we should have at least tried to beat.

We get it, you're mates with JD. Your a lone ranger on this one. Hes a poor manager and needs to be replaced. Can you give any good reasons why he should stay?

I've spoken to JD once & that was many years ago when I donated some money to the youth set up. He was with Steve Hymas & he just said thank you, that was it. Not sure that classifies as being "mates" though...
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:08 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:At least we don't have to suffer missing out on autos by 1 goal in the final game of the season again. Also at least we won't lose in the playoffs. We will be nowhere near either scenario.

Thank you Mystic Meg. :roll:

You do realise it's only November don't you?! :roll:

You are welcome.

You do realise that at this stage last season the team in 14th went on to finish 15th?

The top ten at this stage last season (18 game in) was:
MK Dons
Lincoln
Newport
Colchester
Mansfield
Exeter
Tranmere
Bury
Stevenage
Forest Green

Top ten at last seasons end:
Lincoln
Bury
MK Dons
Mansfield
Forest Green
Tranmere
Newport
Colchester
Exeter
Stevenage

It's the same clubs just a different order.

The season before that season, the team in 14th at this stage ended up..... 12th

I'm bored on a Sunday morning so let's compare the top 10s again, this time I'll list the top 10 after 18games but put in brackets the position they finished in (to keep post length down) :

1. Notts County (5th)
2. Luton (2nd)
3. Accrington (1st)
4. Exeter (4th)
5. Swindon (9th)
6. Wycombe (3rd)
7. Coventry (6th)
8. Mansfield (8th)
9. Newport (11th)
10. Lincoln (7th)

As an aside Carlisle finished in 10th that season and they were 11th after 18 games.

So yes I realise it is November and there's your proof that the league has largely taken shape by this point of the season.

What about when Exeter were in the relegation zone in November but ended up making the play offs. The point is no one knows what's going to happen.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:54 pm

I'll bet you a tenner we don't Dan
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Spiritater wrote:I'll bet you a tenner we don't Dan

I will have a tenner with you also, Dan. And I have a history of appalling gambling that’s how certain I am.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:01 pm

I’ll have tenner too!!! Easy money
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:03 pm

£10 here as well Dan.

I hope you don’t put money on things like this very often, I would take a guess you don’t win much if you did.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum