{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Burton Scorethread sponsored by What no Brewery

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Burton Scorethread sponsored by What no Brewery

Postby garlic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 pm

Gazza you cannot say Alistair Smith was good , or that he played well because WVStag and MTFC Musings have declared that he isnt good enough and thats final, so please retract your statement.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:31 pm

garlic wrote:Gazza you cannot say Alistair Smith was good , or that he played well because WVStag and MTFC Musings have declared that he isnt good enough and thats final, so please retract your statement.

He could have just had a lucky game, I suppose. :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:32 pm

Dan wrote:Sweeney was a rock at the back, Bobby pulled off 3 world class saves, young Clarkey did well & the rest of the boys were excellent too.

Ryan Sweeney is in a good run of form. He was my MOM on Saturday. He also played well against Col U, Walsall and Salford.

James Clarke got caught out in the first half a few times with Junior Daniel bombing past him or in behind him but he did better in the 2nd half. Worth thinking about as a right back if we wanted to play Kellan Gordon in right midfield although it would be great to get Hayden White back fit again.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:40 pm

garlic wrote:Gazza you cannot say Alistair Smith was good , or that he played well because WVStag and MTFC Musings have declared that he isnt good enough and thats final, so please retract your statement.

Pathetic post. I never mentioned Smith in my other post (because I forgot about him if I'm honest)

If you look back you will actually see that I was singing his praises after the previous Checkatrade game against Crewe. I haven't seen the game tonight but apparently he played well in, guess what, another Checkatrade game. Lets see him do it in the league where it actually matters. It wouldn't take much for him to upstage Bishop or Tomlinson at the moment. If he's good enough why is Dempster holding him back?
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:43 pm

Encouraging to win 2 cup games in a row and bag about £50k in prize money, I’m sure radford will be happy with that.

Now time to improve on that shocking league position
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:53 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Good win. My MOM was Bobby Olejnik followed by young Alistair Smith.

We need to get Jacob Mellis and CJ Hamilton back in our first team.

We did not look as good after Danny Rose and Jacob Mellis went off.

A nice £10,000 for JR with a possible £20,000 for a win in the next round.

Have to agree with that. Although I'd say Smith was man of the match. Some might say olejnik made too many "logan errors" like not catching every ball and not collecting every coss, also played us into potential trouble with a few passes out the back. Joking aside it was an excellent game for olejnik who did nothing wrong in my opinion. I'd say Smith shades it because he played well all game and is a creative central midfielder and we attacked well from the 10th minute and perhaps saying we won and the keeper is man of the match isn't unfair on the side (I've re typed that last bit many times, hopefully you get what I mean)

For Saturday I'd keep the same shape, logan in goal (he doesn't deserve to be dropped and olejnik is now a challenge for him), keep the same back 3, Gordon at right wing back, CJ left wing back. Midfield 3 of Smith Mellis and Tomlinson, Rose and Maynard up front. Some will say that's unfair on OSJ but whilst he put some good set pieces in he's meant to be a striker (although did drop back as the game went on) and Maynard is the better striker.

That's just me though. I'm certain that someone will suggest tomlinson shouldn't start though, if Shaughnessy is to play in midfield then Benning at centre back? Or do we go old skool and switch back to 4-4-2?

At least McDonald is not in your line up :)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:04 pm

Pleased with another win. Hopefully we can keep this going now. COYS
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:06 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Good win. My MOM was Bobby Olejnik followed by young Alistair Smith.

We need to get Jacob Mellis and CJ Hamilton back in our first team.

We did not look as good after Danny Rose and Jacob Mellis went off.

A nice £10,000 for JR with a possible £20,000 for a win in the next round.

Have to agree with that. Although I'd say Smith was man of the match. Some might say olejnik made too many "logan errors" like not catching every ball and not collecting every coss, also played us into potential trouble with a few passes out the back. Joking aside it was an excellent game for olejnik who did nothing wrong in my opinion. I'd say Smith shades it because he played well all game and is a creative central midfielder and we attacked well from the 10th minute and perhaps saying we won and the keeper is man of the match isn't unfair on the side (I've re typed that last bit many times, hopefully you get what I mean)

For Saturday I'd keep the same shape, logan in goal (he doesn't deserve to be dropped and olejnik is now a challenge for him), keep the same back 3, Gordon at right wing back, CJ left wing back. Midfield 3 of Smith Mellis and Tomlinson, Rose and Maynard up front. Some will say that's unfair on OSJ but whilst he put some good set pieces in he's meant to be a striker (although did drop back as the game went on) and Maynard is the better striker.

That's just me though. I'm certain that someone will suggest tomlinson shouldn't start though, if Shaughnessy is to play in midfield then Benning at centre back? Or do we go old skool and switch back to 4-4-2?

At least McDonald is not in your line up :)

Sod the team clanger, how come you are not on the list yorkstag is keeping :)
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:17 pm

Just shows what can be achieved with a midfield including CJ + Mellis rather than Macca + Bish.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:26 pm

Freezing cold at the match tonight, but well worth it. A much better battling peformance. We played some nice football at times and also switched it up to be scrappy and physical when needed.

Perform how we did tonight in the league and we will start putting a run together.

My MOTM was young James Clarke.
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Kernow » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:39 pm

Next tie will be away but do academy teams still have to play away. If the can play at home there are some interesting possibilities.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:39 pm

yorkstag wrote:I know it’s only the EFL trophy but let’s spare a thought tonight for The One, Yorkshire stag, Arsene Wengers Coat, Chris uk Nottm , Old Ram Stag and others I can’t be bothered to mention.

Must all be devastated that we won

So proud to be on your list Yorkstag. If being honest and open about the situation the club is in because of the managerial appointment gets me on there so be it. I support MTFC and the team. I simply don't support this manager but I do want the club to be successful.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:Mellis is the most gifted footballer we have .Him and Maynard should always be on the pitch.

Mellis and Shaughnessy in midfield with Rose and Maynard up top on Saturday I hope!

Yep. Mellis and Shaughnessy are clearly our most talented centre midfielders, and the two of them need to start together, something that I’m pretty sure the two of them haven’t done yet.

Shaughnessy actually played in the middle of the centre back three tonight.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:56 pm

Kernow wrote:Next tie will be away but do academy teams still have to play away. If the can play at home there are some interesting possibilities.

Winners of the eight northern groups are

Everton
Leicester
Man U
Man City
Accrington
Salford
Blackpool
Port Vale.

Odds on for a trip north west.

Draw is 2pm on Sky sports on Saturday
part time pete

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:10 am

Accrington away is just screaming at us aren’t they?!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Kernow » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:04 am

Can the academy sides play at home in the knockout stages ?
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:14 am

Kernow wrote:Can the academy sides play at home in the knockout stages ?

Last season they played at 'home' in knock out stages. Doubt they will play at main stadium though.
part time pete

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:16 am

yorkstag wrote:I know it’s only the EFL trophy but let’s spare a thought tonight for The One, Yorkshire stag, Arsene Wengers Coat, Chris uk Nottm , Old Ram Stag and others I can’t be bothered to mention.

Must all be devastated that we won

I had a work thing last night, but I was thinking about you too babe.

xoxox
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:19 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Pathetic post. I never mentioned Smith in my other post (because I forgot about him if I'm honest)

If you look back you will actually see that I was singing his praises after the previous Checkatrade game against Crewe. I haven't seen the game tonight but apparently he played well in, guess what, another Checkatrade game. Lets see him do it in the league where it actually matters. It wouldn't take much for him to upstage Bishop or Tomlinson at the moment. If he's good enough why is Dempster holding him back?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Is that out your system now Garlic?

But back to it, Smith isn't good enough if we are being real. Having a good game (didn't watch last night so can't actually tell for myself if he played well or not) in the Nobody Cares.com trophy isn't really the criteria for being good enough is it.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:46 am

I would give Clarke more of a run in the first team with more sub appearance maybe.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 am

I’m not a big fan of this competition but well done to the players and staff last night and for those Stags fans who travelled.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bros » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:06 am

Not one u21 team has qualified yet in the Southern sections although West Ham will if they get at least a draw at Exeter
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby west country stag » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Hamilton was poor last night ... he seems to have lost all confidence in beating the full back
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:33 pm

west country stag wrote:Hamilton was poor last night ... he seems to have lost all confidence in beating the full back

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
west country stag wrote:Hamilton was poor last night ... he seems to have lost all confidence in beating the full back

Whoooosh :lol: :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum