{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is Stev Hyman the Unofficial Director of Football?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Is Stev Hyman the Unofficial Director of Football?

Postby sunray » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:10 am

On several topics there are references to Stev from being the person responsible for DF going and JD getting the job, the style of football we are playing etc.

What is the truth?

Personnally I would fully support him in mentoring a new manager like JD similiar to a Director of Football. But if that's the case JD is not listening.
sunray
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Is Stev Hyman the Unofficial Director of Football?

Postby oldweststander » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:17 am

I hope to God he isn't, mind you, might explain a few things?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:29 pm

And his qualifications for doing this would be what?
Too much influence as it is.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:50 pm

bigalstag wrote:And his qualifications for doing this would be what?
Too much influence as it is.

he's a board member and pays his money. Of course he's going to have influence
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:01 pm

sunray wrote:On several topics there are references to Stev from being the person responsible for DF going and JD getting the job, the style of football we are playing etc.

What is the truth?

Personnally I would fully support him in mentoring a new manager like JD similiar to a Director of Football. But if that's the case JD is not listening.

That might be in the top 3 of most ludicrous things ever said. Hymas has no football qualifications. He is a businessman and a businessman only.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

WVStag wrote:
sunray wrote:On several topics there are references to Stev from being the person responsible for DF going and JD getting the job, the style of football we are playing etc.

What is the truth?

That might be in the top 3 of most ludicrous things ever said. Hymas has no football qualifications. He is a businessman and a businessman only.

Why not replace the Broughtons with Sam and Sally Stag while you’re at it?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:07 pm

Who is "Stev Hyman" ? Is he the guy responsible for keeping Joel Dempsey in a job?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

victor A block wrote:Who is "Stev Hyman" ? Is he the guy responsible for keeping Joel Dempsey in a job?

It's Misty's brother.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:12 pm

What is the truth?

The truth is he's told 2 previous managers publicly who he should and should not be playing also in Cox's case how he should play, those managers were Paul Cox and David Flitcroft. The David Flitcroft one I linked to in another post however the Paul Cox one went when we used to have to trim old posts to keep the message board running.

As for the last part of your post, I would not support this. 2 managers have ignored him, one got play off in his first full season and then the title in the second and the other got play offs in his first full season and was then sacked before he could go for his second full season. That much is true.

Rumour has it Hymas wanted him gone for JD so more of his youth team players (he's youth director) could come through. What Steve needs to realise is youth teamers will come through if good enough, there was a new rule introduced where each side must include at least 1 player who is homegrown by the club (exact wording is something like trained at the club for 3 years before their 21st birthday). Here's a nice fact for you, Hymas claimed Zayn Hakeem should have started last season in the run it to the end of the season, JD comes into the main post and released Hakeem!
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:25 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

What is the truth?

The truth is he's told 2 previous managers publicly who he should and should not be playing also in Cox's case how he should play, those managers were Paul Cox and David Flitcroft. The David Flitcroft one I linked to in another post however the Paul Cox one went when we used to have to trim old posts to keep the message board running.

As for the last part of your post, I would not support this. 2 managers have ignored him, one got play off in his first full season and then the title in the second and the other got play offs in his first full season and was then sacked before he could go for his second full season. That much is true.

Rumour has it Hymas wanted him gone for JD so more of his youth team players (he's youth director) could come through. What Steve needs to realise is youth teamers will come through if good enough, there was a new rule introduced where each side must include at least 1 player who is homegrown by the club (exact wording is something like trained at the club for 3 years before their 21st birthday). Here's a nice fact for you, Hymas claimed Zayn Hakeem should have started last season in the run it to the end of the season, JD comes into the main post and released Hakeem!

Reading between the lines, your suggesting that the current boss was employed as an easier conduit to the first team for the YT players. Something our last manager was reluctant to pursue during a promotion push.

Where in actual fact, our YT players haven't been good enough to warrant a first team place, signified by the current boss releasing a former YT hot prospect?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:32 pm

I feel this post has broken new Stagsnet ground...
:shock:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:33 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

What is the truth?

Reading between the lines, your suggesting that the current boss was employed as an easier conduit to the first team for the YT players. Something our last manager was reluctant to pursue during a promotion push.

Where in actual fact, our YT players haven't been good enough to warrant a first team place, signified by the current boss releasing a former YT hot prospect?

That is exactly what I think. With my own reading between the lines. Hymas wants us to produce our own talent but if they aren't good enough then they aren't good enough. Our youth team is made up of discarded youth players from other teams and promising players from teams lower down. A little bit like the Glenn Hoddle Academy.

To me, Hymas wants to be the guy behind our youth system returning to developing the next Liam Lawrence. There's nothing wrong with that aim but forcing kids through when they aren't ready is not the way to do it. Until we have kids coming through all the way from u6 to u18 it's less likely we will get a golden generation.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:34 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

What is the truth?

If that is fact, then I'm saddened and shocked in equal measure.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:45 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

What is the truth?

Ditto. Astounding if true.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:46 pm

I am not sure all this director of football and motivational coach appointments are any good
The manager with a decent deputy should manage ALL the football club both playing and the team selection/recruitment with maybe a scout to help out.
Pay the manager a bit more maybe and get a decent one in who can do this job done!!

We are League 2..... the old division 4... not Premiership or Barcelona
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:51 pm

Hymas would be useless as a DoF.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:05 pm

A director of football should be someone like Greg Abbott last season, someone who has played the game professionally and coached/managed professionally. Compare that knowledge with Hymas who has ran a club of some description for 10 years or so

There was a rumour going round that Hymas and radford fell out over Paul Cox, Hymas wanted him gone and radford wanted him to stay, so Hymas set up AFC Mansfield with Andy Saunders who both demanded their money back from the club. Eventually Cox went and Hymas came back converted his loan (and same amount from Radford’s loan) into preference shares. The reasons are pure rumour.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:19 pm

The One wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

What is the truth?

Ditto. Astounding if true.

You can't begrudge the corporate aim of wanting to produce homegrown players that can be sold on for a fee. It makes absolute financial sense. Trouble is, it's a lot harder to actually do it!

The RoI of having a quality youth team set up can only be countenanced if the YT products are either playing week in week out, or sold for big bucks. YTs are more likely to be sold if they are playing in the first team, and playing well. This puts them in the shop window.

Best way of getting YTs into the first team (and the shop window); get the YT manager as the first team manager.

The problem is, if the YT players genuinely aren't good enough, it makes the justification of hiring the YT manager redundant. It also highlights the youth acquisition strategy of picking up other clubs cast offs as being ineffective.

A bigger unknown risk is if the YT manager is not up to first team management, for whatever reason, regardless of the youth player strategy. This negatively harms the other corporate priority - project promotion.

A difficult circle to square.

All speculation of course.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:02 pm

It would be foolish to play youngsters in the toxicity, that persists at Field Mill at the moment.

Youngsters will flourish better when the team is playing well.

If members of the board want the youth system to work and make some of the youn talent first team regulars they need to get things right on the field first. Otherwise they are doomed to fail.

It's a case of not putting the cart before the horse.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:32 pm

Youngsters have to be exceptional to make it to the first team.We have not got anybody who is good enough to force theirr way in.Jimmy is nearly there but has to keep working hard and hope he gets a chance.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Jordan Graham and Lewis Gibbens were nearly there last season, both got injured. Jason law has been here for nearly 4 years, surely he must be nearly ready by now. Looked capable at left wing back in the Scunthorpe EFL trophy game last season. That's one game. He was one that was at Burton and Derby as a kid, was released and picked up by Carlton at age 16, he scored 4 in 3 games for them and we signed him. He's sat in the youth team until Flitcroft gave him his debut in the trophy (I can't remember him starting a competitive game for us before then) not bad for someone who was later criticised for not giving youth a chance in crunch games.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:00 pm

The idea that a youth team can be the basis of league 2 survival (let alone promotion) is delusional.

OK ... So it 'partially' happened ONCE in the last 50 years. That is not a reliable, or a robust model ... and 9/10 times that model would lead to relegation. There are plenty of case studies to show that.

There is a very good reason that successful (or even stable) division 4 teams rely heavily on experienced professionals to either guide the team through to promotion, or simply just survival.

This over obsession with youth could seriously harm the club in the wrong hands. We need the strongest team possible. It is irrelevant if they are local, or came through the youth academy. (Ironically, most of the best youngsters are likely to have come through other youth academies).
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:00 pm

The only ones who are remotely close IMO are Clarke, Sinclair, Knowles and Graham.

Unfortunately, they all play in positions which are pretty strong. White and Gordon have RB covered. Rose, Cook and Maynard are really good strikers for this level. That puts Knowles and Graham as 4th choice at best, possibly 5th if Davies ever comes back. Clarke third choice RB. Sinclair doesn't fit into the system we are playing at the moment.

None of the three are ready for regular first team league football.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:04 pm

I for one was really hoping that when JD was appointed he really had been given the backing to select the young`uns and bring through a core who could lead us, sustainably, to higher leagues. He hasnt done this. As gazza detailed above, Gibbens, Graham , Law , Smith, Knowles and Sinclair havent been given a decent chance. If they had, and our league position playing the young`uns was identical to what it is now, i do not think the atmosphere would be anywhere near as toxic as it is now. So as far as i am concerned all this talk about the youngsters not being good enough, or not being able to play in the current atmosphere is hypothetical speculation because nobody knows util they have had at least 5 starts. So i am hoping for a clear out of the current experienced lo of under-performers to give these youngsters a real chance of showing us what they can/cannot do.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby WVStag » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Amber Andy wrote:It would be foolish to play youngsters in the toxicity, that persists at Field Mill at the moment.

Youngsters will flourish better when the team is playing well.

If members of the board want the youth system to work and make some of the youn talent first team regulars they need to get things right on the field first. Otherwise they are doomed to fail.

It's a case of not putting the cart before the horse.

Fortunately, you don't have to worry about any of the youngsters playing 'in the toxicity that persists at Field Mill at the moment' because none of them are good enough.

Saying that, Dempster is the manager, so I could be wrong. He'd probably field a full youth team before he recognises how bad a midfield pairing Bishop and Tomlinson is.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum