{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bishop speaks out over fans’ abuse at home

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bishop speaks out over fans’ abuse at home

Postby NG17_stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:51 pm

Broughton is doing my head in. Bloke’s been here a second and already having a sly dig at (life long) fans on twitter and shaking his head at them on the pitch. It’s only going to further divide the fans and management.

If Forest Green scraped past Chorley yesterday, would their fans boo them? Course they wouldn’t, because they’re top of the league and their fans would assume it’s a one off. We’re 14th and 20+ games in (in all comps).

It’s not a valid argument, Drewe.
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:57 pm

NG17_stag wrote:Broughton is doing my head in. Bloke’s been here a second and already having a sly dig at (life long) fans on twitter and shaking his head at them on the pitch. It’s only going to further divide the fans and management.

If Forest Green scraped past Chorley yesterday, would their fans boo them? Course they wouldn’t, because they’re top of the league and their fans would assume it’s a one off. We’re 14th and 20+ games in (in all comps).

I think we Drewe a blank with this latest Broughton!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Sneag wrote:City & Liverpool can pull 11 back at a corner, because they can break at lightening speed and interchange passes with pinpoint accuracy. They can go from defending a corner to smacking one in at the other end in seconds.

4th division players have to plat % because they aren't as good. That's not a dig just a fact of life. When we defend a corner it's far more likely to be dealt with by a big hoof up field than by a dozen killer ten yard passes as we sweep up the field in one fluid move.
Leave no one up to contest the big hoof and it's 100% sure that the ball is going to come right back at you, and you have a 0% chance of building any kind of counter attack.
When we do break out by passing it, our play is so slow it's painful to watch.

Comparing Div 4 to the EPL is idiotic, there is such a chasm in class these days that they are barely playing the same sport.

This
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Can only add to what has already been said. The fans at this club are brilliant, we travel in numbers and attendances have been improving despite sky high ticket prices. To criticize the fans in any circumstance is ridiculous and shows a board massively out of touch.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:Can only add to what has already been said. The fans at this club are brilliant, we travel in numbers and attendances have been improving despite sky high ticket prices. To criticize the fans in any circumstance is ridiculous and shows a board massively out of touch.

Just a few too many fragile egos, H
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Bish, the next time a throw in doesn’t go the way you appeal, a foul is given against you or an opponent tackles you in a way you perceive unfairly don’t give them a mouthful of personal, directed and foul abusive language or your complaint against a minority of fans will just sound hollow. After all they are just doing the same as you, trying their best on a football pitch.

You have in effect moved into a glass house and started throwing stones. It doesn’t become you.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:05 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:Bish, the next time a throw in doesn’t go the way you appeal, a foul is given against you or an opponent tackles you in a way you perceive unfairly don’t give them a mouthful of personal, directed and foul abusive language or your complaint against a minority of fans will just sound hollow. After all they are just doing the same as you, trying their best on a football pitch.

You have in effect moved into a glass house and started throwing stones. It doesn’t become you.

Touché
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:13 pm

We simply will not progress while Hymas is running things.

The bloke doesn’t believe in wingbacks or passing it out from the back, probably wants us to use shillings again. Absolute fool who cannot admit when he is wrong.

If Bish cannot handle a bit of criticism from paying fans then maybe he should go and work in his wife’s shop.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:13 pm

NG17_stag wrote:Broughton is doing my head in. Bloke’s been here a second and already having a sly dig at (life long) fans on twitter and shaking his head at them on the pitch. It’s only going to further divide the fans and management.

It wasn't just shaking his head though was it when he swore at Skeglad, who as the name suggests travels a 160 mile round trip for a home game.

It's about time this mumbo jumbo soothsayer wound his neck in.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:20 pm

You and me both. There’s been 3/4 tweets from him this evening that are indirectly having a pop at fans yesterday after his head shaking and words yesterday, Bishop liked one of them. The latest one is ‘fans love the game, but know little about the industry’.

You’ve got him doing that, Tomlinson having a pop at the fans when they groaned at him misplacing a 5 yard pass, Bishop bemoaning the fans on Facebook. Look none of it’s major and they can do what they want, but if they were doing well and getting some stick fair enough you’d understand but the performance so far this season has been crap, so suck it up in my opinion and concentrate on upping your performance.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:25 pm

BH_Stag wrote:

You and me both. There’s been 3/4 tweets from him this evening that are indirectly having a pop at fans yesterday after his head shaking and words yesterday, Bishop liked one of them. The latest one is ‘fans love the game, but know little about the industry’.

You’ve got him doing that, Tomlinson having a pop at the fans when they groaned at him misplacing a 5 yard pass, Bishop bemoaning the fans on Facebook. Look none of it’s major and they can do what they want, but if they were doing well and getting some stick fair enough you’d understand but the performance so far this season has been crap, so suck it up in my opinion and concentrate on upping your performance.

But don't boo because it'll upset people.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Number63 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:35 pm

My feeling is that players with concerns like this should feed this back to the club for the club to deal with as the employers.
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Vice President » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:38 pm

I don't condone any abuse. But when a player turns on the fans, it is a slippery slope for him. His experience should have told him that.
I can totally understand his feelings, and it must be horrible to be booed by the crowd - but it is part and parcel of the game. He needs to be very careful with his choice of words on social media, as it usually makes things even worse.
Last edited by Vice President on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:42 pm

I can see Bish going back to County. Easy pay for him in that league and always gushing about them.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:44 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I can see Bish going back to County. Easy pay for him in that league and always gushing about them.

I can see that too, there’s a 2 way love in.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:49 pm

Hasn't the Arsenal captain been stripped of his armband and dropped for 'having a go back' at fans (I dont know the full details).

I agree it's a very slippery slope when you start having a go at the clubs only real asset. The fans. Without us there is no club. Without us he doesn't get paid. Hes entitled to his opinion but shouldn't voice it to the world. Doing that is making a statement and asking for trouble. At many clubs you'd be dropped for this kinda thing.
Last edited by Jamie on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:49 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:I can see Bish going back to County. Easy pay for him in that league and always gushing about them.

I can see that too, there’s a 2 way love in.

As soon as I saw them black & white shirts yesterday, I knew he'd keep passing to them :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Hymas makes me laugh is this not the same man that ran around the directors box wanting to kick 7 bales of sh it out of HASLAM......

And now he stands and preaches on how to behave inside a football ground.....

He should have had a life long ban for his actions on that day in 2008....

If it was anyone else they would get the book thrown at them
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:59 pm

SINA STAG wrote:Hymas makes me laugh is this not the same man that ran around the directors box wanting to kick 7 bales of sh it out of HASLAM......

Have I missed something? ... What has Hymas said?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 pm

SINA STAG wrote:Hymas makes me laugh is this not the same man that ran around the directors box wanting to kick 7 bales of sh it out of HASLAM......

He should get keys to the town after lamping the dark lord :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:31 pm

Vice President wrote:

Have I missed something? ... What has Hymas said?

He’s likened Dempster to Pep & Klopp

:roll:
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:36 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:We simply will not progress while Hymas is running things.

The bloke doesn’t believe in wingbacks or passing it out from the back, probably wants us to use shillings again. Absolute fool who cannot admit when he is wrong.

If Bish cannot handle a bit of criticism from paying fans then maybe he should go and work in his wife’s shop.

Wow I didn't know Steve Hymas had taken over from John Dempster !

The manager downward spiral continues.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:07 am

If players are posting on any social network I think the manager should be stepping in and having a word . If not the manager then the chairman . Then again how can he when it seems commonplace now at the club...standards seem to be dropping and it’s not good.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:58 am

Neal Bishop and Mansfield haven’t felt right since the Notts County game last season, felt like he set the tone with all the ‘hope they stay up and do well’ etc, I’ve got no problem with him doing that but not before the game, only after.

I agree with quite a lot of what he’s said but similarly there were plenty reports that he came across really poorly on Saturday in terms of attitude and general performance so maybe he should look in the mirror too.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:12 am

The thing about motivators is that they motivate and embolden people.

Would these players be posting the comments had they not been emboldened by Mr Motivator?.

Motivators are very good if they 'galvanise' players against a problem. The thing is though if they 'galvanise' against the wrong group, they do more harm than good.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum