{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Paul Cox back in football management

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Paul Cox back in football management

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:26 am

Don't NL teams come in next round?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:59 pm

comes to something when i’m reading this thread on clueless before i read the Swindon match thread sadly !!
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:31 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:comes to something when i’m reading this thread on clueless before i read the Swindon match thread sadly !!

And if you HAD to pick from PC or JD which way would you go?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:51 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:comes to something when i’m reading this thread on clueless before i read the Swindon match thread sadly !!

Clueless? ITs a thread on cox not our fan base.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Paul Cox back in football management at Kettering Town

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 am

A 0-0 draw for Paul Cox's Kettering on Saturday against Curzon Ashton.

Alistair Smith was on the bench with Jason Law. Alistair came on as a 56th minute sub for Lindon Meikle

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:12 am

Comes to something when Cox is branded as useless

3rd in his first season
Champions in his second season
11th in our first year back in the league.

Then it went stale, like it does for basically every lower league manager at some point. Far from clueless for us.

Edit: Sorry, only just realised this post was from ages ago :lol: :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:32 am

Cox would do a brilliant job somewhere like Macclesfield/ Morecambe... hes a fantastic manager and wish he'd get another chance at this level.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:18 pm

Strange how he never has yet the same failed few keep getting jobs I.e Westley Calderwood Curle Etc
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby SINA STAG » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:53 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Strange how he never has yet the same failed few keep getting jobs I.e Westley Calderwood Curle Etc

Curle did ok at Carlisle with very little budget n doing well at Northampton can't see why he's on your list

As for Cox he may prefer to manage at non league level might be more enjoyable
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Paul Cox is hoping to sign Matt Rhead but admits that Rheady could have options in the EFL

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/e ... ad-1385657
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:24 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Strange how he never has yet the same failed few keep getting jobs I.e Westley Calderwood Curle Etc

Can’t really say Curle has been a failure. Got a lot of respect for him
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:49 pm

yellowstagsfan wrote:

Shhhhhh don’t tell Rob that :D
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:24 pm

magicstag wrote:Paul cox, was an excellent manager for us.
Did a fantastic job here.
You can argue all you like about budgets luck whatever
He did achieve our latest championship winning season.
When people go on about budgets, it sounds like them muppets on
Sky sports.
The guy needs some credit and respect for what he achieved here.

He won't get that from Jamie. This is a guy who constantly stuck up for H*slam & defended him when he was robbing our club. He also calls Billy Dearden a 'judas' & 'Billy Drearydon' when he was manager of us & now calls Paul Cox 'lucky'. Our two most successful managers for years & he doesn't rate them. Nothing really more you can say to that is there. :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:40 pm

Dan wrote:
Sky sports.

He won't get that from Jamie. This is a guy who constantly stuck up for H*slam & defended him when he was robbing our club. He also calls Billy Dearden a 'judas' & 'Billy Drearydon' when he was manager of us & now calls Paul Cox 'lucky'. Our two most successful managers for years & he doesn't rate them. Nothing really more you can say to that is there. :roll:

Glad you got that off ya chest? Think it's time you moved on Dan.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:49 pm

Jamie wrote:
Dan wrote:
Sky sports.

Glad you got that off ya chest? Think it's time you moved on Dan.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:58 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:

Trying hard to resist :lol: How anyone can have respect for a man who was Haslams best mate in our worst times is beyond me. Sat in the stands with Haslam whilst Watkiss, an utter gent and a nicer bloke you will never meet, was about to be sacked. No matter what he did to damage Haslam after they had their bitch fight cannot dilute the fact that he was, Haslams big drinking and gambling buddie and did fail to win promotion with the best squad we have had since the mid-70's. His record at MTFC reads one relegation, one failed promotion and a big fall out with Haslam. Respect, absofkinlutely hilarious.

As for Coxy, great guy, did a fantastic job getting us promoted, absolutely and utterly useless for us in the FL. Proved he knew only one way, it might work somewhere else but his lack of success to date shows it probably won't. I hate long ball, anti-football and always have - what he did was a means to an end, but it didn't end and the football his side played in the FL was the worst I have ever seen at the Mill, and boy have I seen some raspberry :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby spainmick » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:17 am

Rob, if you know so much about football management and football styles why don't you get up from behind your keyboard and try it ...you may be great
spainmick
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:01 am

spainmick wrote:Rob, if you know so much about football management and football styles why don't you get up from behind your keyboard and try it ...you may be great

:lol: He is playing Subbuteo ,he be back later :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:23 am

Rob wrote:
Billy the fish wrote:
yellowstagsfan wrote:

Trying hard to resist :lol: How anyone can have respect for a man who was Haslams best mate in our worst times is beyond me. Sat in the stands with Haslam whilst Watkiss, an utter gent and a nicer bloke you will never meet, was about to be sacked. No matter what he did to damage Haslam after they had their bitch fight cannot dilute the fact that he was, Haslams big drinking and gambling buddie and did fail to win promotion with the best squad we have had since the mid-70's. His record at MTFC reads one relegation, one failed promotion and a big fall out with Haslam. Respect, absofkinlutely hilarious.

As for Coxy, great guy, did a fantastic job getting us promoted, absolutely and utterly useless for us in the FL. Proved he knew only one way, it might work somewhere else but his lack of success to date shows it probably won't. I hate long ball, anti-football and always have - what he did was a means to an end, but it didn't end and the football his side played in the FL was the worst I have ever seen at the Mill, and boy have I seen some raspberry :lol:

Haslam's best mate? Didn't haslam sack him on trumped up bullying charge?

Do you feel the same way about Coughlan? It was revealed we approached for him before Dempster was officially sacked? Also Demps was a good guy by all accounts.

Also Cox did better with his conference side than Evans did with his expensive side. Evans got 12th and Cox 11th.(theres some nice fact twisting for you :lol:)
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:40 am

I loved the years PC was in charge especially the last two BSP years. Loved going to the games. He will always be welcomed at FM by me and is a nice bloke to talk to as well.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:43 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:I loved the years PC was in charge especially the last two BSP years. Loved going to the games. He will always be welcomed at FM by me and is a nice bloke to talk to as well.
And me.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:07 pm

Anyone who doesn't rate Cox as a manager is truly the clueless one. Our only manager who actually achieved anything of note for the last 15 years or so. Even when we got back in the league he did well considering, plus he is a lovely bloke and actually cared about the club.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:09 pm

Whether you liked his style of play or not, which I personally didn't, you can't argue with his achievements.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:55 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Also Cox did better with his conference side than Evans did with his expensive side. Evans got 12th and Cox 11th.(theres some nice fact twisting for you :lol:)

That side finished only a tad away from 9th. Despite all the investment since, I'd be very happy with that finish this season.

And as for Cox's style of play, OK he did like the team to get the ball in the opposition penalty box as quickly as possible, and believed that the goalkeeper should always kick the ball downfield rather than roll it out. That's about all there is to criticise, as it was far from a "hoof" game despite all the fans' insistence. He relied on midfielders who were ball players (such as Stevenson, Meikle, Briscoe) to back up the striker with goals and assists, which doesn't seem too bad to me. Stevenson scored a remarkable number of goals from midfield, for instance.

Dempster was the polar opposite, and look where that got us despite most of the players being technically proficient. Coughlan seems closer to Cox in style, but it's hard to tell for sure as he's saddled with the squad from previous seasons and is having to make do.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Coughlan, Cox and Evans all have similar styles, get it forwards early and if you lose the ball defend from the front. The difference is Cox had a conference side. Evans spent alot and Flitcroft moulded them for a possession based style. Demps couldnt decide which he wanted and went with neither. GC trying to get them back to direct pressing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum