{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Paul Cox back in football management

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Paul Cox back in football management

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:21 pm

Dan wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Another thread resulting in argument and name calling. Another thread where Dan is in the thick of it

Have you worked out what a tasce is yet by the way?

Mustache and moustache :?:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:23 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
Dan wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Another thread resulting in argument and name calling. Another thread where Dan is in the thick of it

That would be tache then ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:26 pm

Dan wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
Dan wrote:

He can spell how he wants , might have is own special meaning for spelling it that way ;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:38 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
Dan wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
Dan wrote:

He can spell how he wants , might have is own special meaning for spelling it that way ;)

I think I know what the reason is.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:51 pm

Its a misspelled word from when I set the account up. I have grown quite fond of it though and don't lack self esteem enough to worry about it or spend loads of time on football forums acting out and seeking attention like a four year old who isn't getting their own way.

Let me know when you have an opinion on the football though as I will gladly debate it.
Last edited by kevin kents tasce on Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:56 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Its a misspelled word from when I set the account up. I have grown quite fond of it though and don't lack self esteem enough to worry about it or spend loads of time on football forums acting out land seeking attention like a four year old who isn't getting their own way.

Let me know when you have an opinion on the football though as I will gladly debate it.

No you won't. I've written lots of football things in this thread and all you've done is single me out yet again for criticism by saying this:

So no football debate in there at all. Just a completely pointless post just to have a pop hiding behind a fake name. Boring.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:06 pm

I have seen you telling Jamie about how he knows nothing about the Dearden situation from nearly 20 years ago.

I have also seen you dismiss his opinion because he has a different opinion about Keith Haslam than you do, before trying to engage others to go go against him too.

You have consistently demonstrated an inability to consider anyone elses point of view for as long as I can remember and your doing it again.

Other than the fact that you take photo's at Meadow Lane, how do you know what happened with Dearden any better than Jamie does?
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:20 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I have seen you telling Jamie about how he knows nothing about the Dearden situation from nearly 20 years ago.

I have also seen you dismiss his opinion because he has a different opinion about Keith Haslam than you do, before trying to engage others to go go against him too.

You have consistently demonstrated an inability to consider anyone elses point of view for as long as I can remember and your doing it again.

Other than the fact that you take photo's at Meadow Lane, how do you know what happened with Dearden any better than Jamie does?

Because I was Stags club photographer for many years and have known Billy for over 30 years. When I went to do his press conference at Notts he came straight over to me to tell me why he had gone when we'd still got a good chance of promotion (& we'd only just lost to Leicester in the 3rd round of the FA Cup a few days before) & the reasons he had to go, that's why. Jamie has been told this on numerous occasions over the years but chooses to ignore it, that's why his 'opinion' is wrong because I've proven it with facts. Plus Jamie says Billy is "a judas", he's the ONLY ONE on here that thinks that, do you agree with him?

As for the rest of your post, none of that is about football, once again you are singling me out. If you've got a problem with me then take it to PM rather than sit there sniping & providing nothing constructive. Jamie has been wrong in his opinions for 20 years & I've been telling him facts for years, everyone on here who has been here for all that time all know it. Anyone who kept defending a thieving drunk driver who was killing our football club deserves all he gets on here. And that's before the dirge he comes out with about Billy Dearden and Paul Cox.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:35 pm

Every single one of your posts on this thread is a response to Jamie with the sole purpose of arguing with him. You (and a couple of others) persistently spoil threads by twisting every opposing view into a childish argument. That's why I raised it

Re the Dearden situation,- if that's what Billy told you then fair enough. I will say though that this does not make it a fact. It makes it third hand information and it tells one person's side of the story.

My opinion happens to be the same as Jamie. He shouldn't have been offered a new contract until promotion had been secured.

What is a fact is that in addition to having one of the best Mansfield teams I have ever witnessed in his first full reign, he also got us relegated with a reasonably talented squad which included around half a dozen players who went on to play at a decent level.

This shows that Haslam might have been being quite astute by holding off from giving him a contract, because in honesty he was a very average manager.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:42 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Every single one of your posts on this thread is a response to Jamie with the sole purpose of arguing with him. You (and a couple of others) persistently spoil threads by twisting every opposing view into a childish argument. That's why I raised it

Re the Dearden situation,- if that's what Billy told you then fair enough. I will say though that this does not make it a fact. It makes it third hand information and it tells one person's side of the story.

My opinion happens to be the same as Jamie. He shouldn't have been offered a new contract until promotion had been secured.

What is a fact is that in addition to having one of the best Mansfield teams I have ever witnessed in his first full reign, he also got us relegated with a reasonably talented squad which included around half a dozen players who went on to play at a decent level.

This shows that Haslam might have been being quite astute by holding off from giving him a contract, because in honesty he was a very average manager.

I don't twist anything, I just give an opinion but because you are obsessed with me you can't see it. I'm not replying to you any more because YOU have completely taken it off topic, then have the nerve to accuse me of doing the same thing! :lol: :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:51 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Every single one of your posts on this thread is a response to Jamie with the sole purpose of arguing with him. You (and a couple of others) persistently spoil threads by twisting every opposing view into a childish argument. That's why I raised it

Haslam made Bill Dearden's job as manager very difficult. Bill Dearden was definitely not an average manager. I'm confident had Bill Dearden had the benefit of an owner like John Radford when he was manager the club would have prospered.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:05 pm

I am sure working under Haslam would have been very difficult Andy.

He worked under him twice though, with very different results. With a back 4 which included Mullins, Baptists and Buxton, a midfield including Steven Dawson and Mickey Bounding up front, he should have done better second time around in my opinion. The big failure that season was failing to bring in a decent goalkeeper.

Back to Paul Cox, I felt sorry for him when JR slashed the budget after taking us up and then getting us to 11th place. I reckon if he had been given the kind of backing some of our recent managers had he might have had a serious run at promotion.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:22 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I am sure working under Haslam would have been very difficult Andy.

He worked under him twice though, with very different results. With a back 4 which included Mullins, Baptists and Buxton, a midfield including Steven Dawson and Mickey Bounding up front, he should have done better second time around in my opinion. The big failure that season was failing to bring in a decent goalkeeper.

Back to Paul Cox, I felt sorry for him when JR slashed the budget after taking us up and then getting us to 11th place. I reckon if he had been given the kind of backing some of our recent managers had he might have had a serious run at promotion.

The second spell Bill Dearden was forced to sell players. A prime example was the forced sale of Richard Barker to Hartlepool. Barker was reluctant to leave, mainly because he had children at school in the area. He was settled and had signed a contract extension until the end of 2009. As you will know Richard Barker was an influential captain and prolific goalscorer for the Stags. He was also forced to sell Baptiste although by that time we were doomed.

Bill Dearden had players lined up to help the relegation fight but didn't get the blessing of the chairman, maybe one of those was an experienced goalkeeper, which I agree we sadly lacked. He had cheaper signings lined up but wasn't given the go ahead to sign them. He had to look for bargain basement signings, one of which was Michael Boulding who he signed from a club well down the pyramid ( Sheffield Club).

I totally agree with you about Paul Cox.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:31 am

Dan wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:Its a misspelled word from when I set the account up. I have grown quite fond of it though and don't lack self esteem enough to worry about it or spend loads of time on football forums acting out land seeking attention like a four year old who isn't getting their own way.

No you won't. I've written lots of football things in this thread and all you've done is single me out yet again for criticism by saying this:

So no football debate in there at all. Just a completely pointless post just to have a pop hiding behind a fake name. Boring.

Dan you're like a child. Grow up and stop arguing with everyone.

Every thread is the same, have a day off. It's ruining the forum
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:18 am

Amber Andy wrote:
kevin kents tasce wrote:I am sure working under Haslam would have been very difficult Andy.

The second spell Bill Dearden was forced to sell players. A prime example was the forced sale of Richard Barker to Hartlepool. Barker was reluctant to leave, mainly because he had children at school in the area. He was settled and had signed a contract extension until the end of 2009. As you will know Richard Barker was an influential captain and prolific goalscorer for the Stags. He was also forced to sell Baptiste although by that time we were doomed.

Bill Dearden had players lined up to help the relegation fight but didn't get the blessing of the chairman, maybe one of those was an experienced goalkeeper, which I agree we sadly lacked. He had cheaper signings lined up but wasn't given the go ahead to sign them. He had to look for bargain basement signings, one of which was Michael Boulding who he signed from a club well down the pyramid ( Sheffield Club).

I totally agree with you about Paul Cox.

Bappa didn't leave until after we had been relegated. Was sold for a pittance because KH knew he was selling and wanted to make a fast buck. Dearden as sacked in march i think after getting a hammering at home to Rochdale.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:48 am

I ask again, why on earth would Haslam not renew his contract come the end of the season?

He might well have said no at the time but even Haslam isnt stupid enough to let his promotion winning manager leave for free for no reason.

Dan, just because BD told you Haslam said he wouldnt be getting a new deal. Doesnt make it the whole truth. There is no way it's as simple as your making out. Your only going on what you were told by someone looking to protect his reputation having done the dirty.

I stand by my view. He was wrong IMO to leave but did so because Haslam was foolish, ok. But to come back under the same owner in a worse situation when the fans were very active against the owner just stinks and shows he was all about the money and nothing more. If that's the case fine he had to earn a crust but that doesn't mean I should respect his decisions.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:58 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Dan wrote:

Dan you're like a child. Grow up and stop arguing with everyone.

Every thread is the same, have a day off. It's ruining the forum

Are you saying that Dan is a common denominator in threads going off on tangents away from football, like people having usernames that aren't there real name? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:08 pm

Jamie wrote:I ask again, why on earth would Haslam not renew his contract come the end of the season?

He might well have said no at the time but even Haslam isnt stupid enough to let his promotion winning manager leave for free for no reason.

Dan, just because BD told you Haslam said he wouldnt be getting a new deal. Doesnt make it the whole truth. There is no way it's as simple as your making out. Your only going on what you were told by someone looking to protect his reputation having done the dirty.

I stand by my view. He was wrong IMO to leave but did so because Haslam was foolish, ok. But to come back under the same owner in a worse situation when the fans were very active against the owner just stinks and shows he was all about the money and nothing more. If that's the case fine he had to earn a crust but that doesn't mean I should respect his decisions.

Dearden wanted a deal in January, Haslam didn't offer him one - in his position would you have gambled that someone like Haslam would have offered you a deal at the end of the season? He had the offer from County on a 2 and half year contract which Haslam did not counter and so he left - I don't quite understand what you find so hard to understand? Billy was absolutely right to leave and absolutely anyone, including you, would have done the same. Pretty much everyone except you blamed Haslam at the time. It was just another example of the appalling way Haslam ran our club and eventually ran it into the ground. Dearden is rightly regarded by most Stags fans as a wonderful servant of our club, he should never have returned at the end, but I am sure he did so because he believed he could save us. As it turned out, the relegation actually helped remove Haslam and bring us to where we are today, in football terms not that much better off right this very minute, but as a club, just in a different league.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:24 pm

Jamie wrote:I ask again, why on earth would Haslam not renew his contract come the end of the season?

If Bill was coming to the end of his contract and with us lookin like going up, then Bill could've gone to him and said.
'Make no bones about it Keithy lad we're going up. But if you want me to stay I reckon I deserve a healthy increase in salary don't you? Also Robbo's about had it, to which you'll need to part with a hefty wodge of cash to replace t'lad and also upgrade t'defence in general'.

Haslam would probably have just taken a massive drag on his cigar and said, ' Send Stu in on your way out' :wave:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:48 pm

Jamie who knows what was going on in Haslam's mind.

I just don't understand why you view Haslam through rose tinted spectacles.

I've supported Stags for many years and for me Haslam was our worse owner by a country mile.

A good friend of mine is a good friend of Bill Dearden. He tells me you couldn't meet a more genuine guy. I suppose he could be making it all up though!
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:54 pm

Rob, so your account doesn't match Dans... What you've describes sounds right to me. He asked for a deal there and then, didn't get one so went to our rivals.

Would i have done the same, no probably not but also i 'genuinely' love the club so would have taken the gamble... I would have a) wanted to complete the promotion and get that on my CV to further my career - promotions are everything on any managers CV..., b) tried to agree something with Haslam that guaranteed certain things if promotion was achieved (its ridiculous to suggest he wouldn't have been retained or rewarded for getting us up). Its partly the leaving when he did that still grates on me, but the fact he went down the road and worst of all came back and set the relegation wheels in motion isn't forgivable. It is strange not to want to secure your manager to the club, especially when he's doing well and things are looking good. Haslam was a strange one no doubt about it, but that doesn't make what Billy did acceptable to me.

There are no rose tinted spectacles at all Andy. He was a crap owner, i've never once tried to suggest he was good for our club, did a great job, was a decent bloke or anything of the sort - despite what Dan / Rob may claim. Over the years and during his time i did take a different view on certain things. Some because i was young and foolish, other things i stand by. Some peoples hatred for the guy simply clouds any chance of sensible debate. It always has.

Just so we're all clear. I don't, never have and never will 'love' Haslam. He wasn't a good owner, he took profits out of this club that held us back (i simply argued that was his right, it was - he owned the business), he made decisions that cost us as a club and himself financially in the long run (not investing enough when we got promoted & having to sell up following the relegation that he in part caused - although fans didn't help that by starving the club of cash). There are some things i won't have though like the stuff about asset splitting - he did this right at the end to facilitate the shoddy take over by Perry and Co. Without that happening he would have remained in charge in the conference and we'd have become the next Stockport.

For someone who apparently loves Haslam why did i stand on the banking with everyone for a number of weeks protesting against him? Why did i join hundreds of others at Fans meetings and take part in the march through the town? Why did i have a Haslam Out sign in my kitchen window for months? Why did I try and start a movement to get interest in a fans buy out, creating a plan, website and flyers that were handed out before home games and away at Chesterfield. Not sure all that sounds like a Haslam apologist or lover to me...

Worst owner, probably, but the Perry Saunders farce has to come close. They enabled the ground being split from the club. They signed a lease that locked us into the conference forever (or at best put our future solely in Haslams hands). They nearly bankrupt the club through financial mismanagement. The only good thing they did was sell to JR... but even then came back with legal action to try and recover the money they've loaned the club. Only Hymas came out of any of that with any dignity at all.

I think i'm done on the subject now. No point keep going over old ground. I'll never forgive Billy and never liked Haslam. Move on.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 pm

Can we get back on topic of thread please
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:14 pm

Jamie wrote:Rob, so your account doesn't match Dans... What you've describes sounds right to me. He asked for a deal there and then, didn't get one so went to our rivals.

What I said back on a previous page:

Dan wrote:Also I've told you numerous times on here but you choose to ignore it, but Billy was told he WOULDN'T be getting an extension at the end of the season and that is why he went to Notts. Believe it or not, that's up to you, but it came right from the horses mouth at his press conference unveiling as Notts manager.

Not sure how that doesn't match. :roll:

Jamie wrote:Just so we're all clear. I don't, never have and never will 'love' Haslam. He wasn't a good owner, he took profits out of this club that held us back (i simply argued that was his right, it was - he owned the business), he made decisions that cost us as a club and himself financially in the long run (not investing enough when we got promoted & having to sell up following the relegation that he in part caused - although fans didn't help that by starving the club of cash).

I'll never forgive Billy and never liked Haslam. Move on.

As for the rest of your post, you didn't stand on the banking or take part in any of the protests, quite the opposite. You came on here calling those people morons & all sorts of other names. You got banned numerous times from here for those exact reasons. You've always stuck up for H*slam, you might want to try & hide it, but me, Rob, Sneag & others who have been here from the start will always remember you defending him to the hilt. You even created other usernames to try and add fuel to the already simmering fire. You even can't resist having a dig at the fans above who protested by saying they 'starved the club' (when in fact they actually helped save it), so you can't one minute say you stood on the bank & did all these things and then turn around and criticise the same fans for starving the club! You don't know half of what you've said on here over the years. You've reversed more times than Liverpool's Premier League winning bus the past 20 years on here :lol: You never once came to any protest meeting, never helped put the H*SLAM OUT boards all over town & the A617, never wore any of the H*SLAM OUT t-shirts, never attended any TEAM Mansfield meetings, nothing. It was only further down the line when you were finally put back in your box when you realised how wrong you were you tried to get us to do an Ebbsfleet & be fan owned but by then people had had enough of your crap and ignored you.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:05 pm

that's enough please. Take any further discussions to private message
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:21 am

Oh come on Martin. Jamie should have the right of reply to that. He’s publicly been called a liar. I t think he deserves the right to defend the clear and specific accusations.

If he can.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum