{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Paul Cox back in football management

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Paul Cox back in football management

Postby Hjeldefan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:28 pm

Jamie wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Superb manager, best of the last 20 years. Wish him him all the best.

Not sure I agree with that. Hes a pretty average dinosaur of a manager. He had a huge budget with us and got us play offs. In the title year we were dog awful till the FA cup inspired something and we went on a run the likes of which we'll never see again. It was pretty lucky...

I'm forever grateful for what he did and what happened but to suggest hes a superb manager is crazy. He had the biggest budget in the league. A huge squad of ex league and experienced conference players. We played awful football but somehow managed an amazing winning streak.

Good luck to him. Decent guy but superb? No.

Last few years we have had a big budget and achieved naff all. If Cox ain't our best manager over the last 20 then who is? His winning run cannot be attributed to luck. We had a superb run after christmas 3 years running so hardly a coincidence.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:12 pm

Yeah fair enough call it luck probably wasnt fair. Unprecedented, unrepeatable, a one off etc.

Last year we should of gone up and still got 4th despite our awful end to the season. I wouldn't describe that as naff all.

Coxy is what he is. A long ball man who when it's working can get results. Hes shown since he left us he isn't all that and showed in the FL with us that he cant adapt or refine his hoof ball to work at a higher level.

I like the guy. I wish him well. He will rightly be fondly remembered for winning the conference but calling him superb is certainly a bit ott for me.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:18 pm

Jamie wrote:Yeah fair enough call it luck probably wasnt fair. Unprecedented, unrepeatable, a one off etc.

Last year we should of gone up and still got 4th despite our awful end to the season. I wouldn't describe that as naff all.

Coxy is what he is. A long ball man who when it's working can get results. Hes shown since he left us he isn't all that and showed in the FL with us that he cant adapt or refine his hoof ball to work at a higher level.

I like the guy. I wish him well. He will rightly be fondly remembered for winning the conference but calling him superb is certainly a bit ott for me.

Sorry Jamie, but unprecedented? He did it 2 years running. Granted for the first year the run wasn't as long as the title season, but still.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Sneag wrote:
Jamie wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:Superb manager, best of the last 20 years. Wish him him all the best.

Not sure I agree with that. Hes a pretty average dinosaur of a manager. He had a huge budget with us and got us play offs. In the title year we were dog awful till the FA cup inspired something and we went on a run the likes of which we'll never see again. It was pretty lucky...

I'm forever grateful for what he did and what happened but to suggest hes a superb manager is crazy. He had the biggest budget in the league. A huge squad of ex league and experienced conference players. We played awful football but somehow managed an amazing winning streak.

Off topic, but I've never understood 'dinosaur' as an insult. As a species they were arguably the most successful ever to walk the Earth. They dominated the planet for 300 million years & even an environmental catastrophe saw them adapt & survive as birds.

Just 2 million years for the shaved apes, with less than half of that as the apex species on the planet and we've trashed the place.

Very interesting analysis Sneag, not come across that angle before, thanks
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:24 pm

garlic wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Off topic, but I've never understood 'dinosaur' as an insult. As a species they were arguably the most successful ever to walk the Earth. They dominated the planet for 300 million years & even an environmental catastrophe saw them adapt & survive as birds.

Just 2 million years for the shaved apes, with less than half of that as the apex species on the planet and we've trashed the place.

Very interesting analysis Sneag, not come across that angle before, thanks

It's thinking about this sort of crap that keeps me awake at night. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:38 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Jamie wrote:Yeah fair enough call it luck probably wasnt fair. Unprecedented, unrepeatable, a one off etc.

Sorry Jamie, but unprecedented? He did it 2 years running. Granted for the first year the run wasn't as long as the title season, but still.

It was a record breaking run in a number of ways. He also nearly got sacked both season before Novemeber was through. I'm not trying to take away from the achievement but lets be honest in the promotion season we were awful until Lincoln away in the FA cup.

At most clubs he would of been sacked. We got on a great, record breaking, unlikely to be repeated run and got over the line last game.

It is unprecedented. It hasn't set a precident of beating winning streak records every year. It was a one off unlikely to be repeated and he didn't break records two years running. He had a good post Jan turn around but anything short of the record breaking win run and we wouldnt have won the league.

Good honest bloke. Spent more than most conference managers will ever get the chance to do. But did get the job done. But let not let get carried away. Pep Guardiola he is not.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:18 am

I see what point you are making, however we went up in a notoriously difficult league to get out of (i mean in terms of numbers). Yes there was calls for the sack, but only from the impatient stags fans. Teams need time to gel its a staple of football.

If you aren't detracting from an achievement, why complain that we were awful before the Lincoln game? Managers lose games, our early season form was average to below average. However our form over the entire season was title form. The football wasn't the greatest, but it was the most effective. In a results based business that's what matters on the bottom line. DF played the best football we've seen at FM for years got sacked for not getting the results JR required. Paul Cox played football that saw some fans publically slate him any time he lost, even a director of the club felt the need to publicly slate him, but he got the results. That's why many are thankful for what he achieved and don't feel the need to bring up the faults of his time here, he fulfilled his remit, he did his job. We wish him well.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby magicstag » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Paul cox, was an excellent manager for us.
Did a fantastic job here.
You can argue all you like about budgets luck whatever
He did achieve our latest championship winning season.
When people go on about budgets, it sounds like them muppets on
Sky sports.
The guy needs some credit and respect for what he achieved here.
magicstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:36 pm

I don't understand the doubts about Cox's tenure here. Although the budget in the promotion season was good, look at the players. Stevenson, Briscoe, Meikle, Howell and co. I don't think the fans would be too happy now if we'd signed the equivalent, and yet if you saw how they almost held a very strong Liverpool side... I'd say that the current team would be thrashed by a top Premier League team, but at the time we weren't too surprised that we gave them a run for their money. Ridiculous, if you remember that we appeared to be a mid table Conference side.

To my mind, Cox was good at getting a team together that was more than the sum of its parts. Hence him taking the first third of a season to get them up to speed, and tending to play a style that suited the hard working and loyal members of the squad rather than to please the supporters. I still don't entirely buy this "hoof" label either. His regular forward and midfield players were as I mentioned above, plus Green (a League 2 winger who he recognised as a potential striker), Murray, and Rhead. Fair enough with Rhead, but the four I mentioned were ball-playing midfielders and didn't want to be bypassed by long balls to Rhead all the time. Yes, the long ball was a tactic but not the only one.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:06 pm

Jamie wrote:He had the biggest budget in the league.

Mansfield Town had the second largest playing budget in the league. Luton Town had the largest playing budget. Their directors would be really offended if anybody suggested that the Stags had a bigger budget than the 'Atters as Loooot'n are the biggest team in the Universe! :lol:

Grimsby Town and Forest Green Rovers also had large playing budgets.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:19 pm

Bradders wrote:Fair enough with Rhead

Matt Rhead only started 10 games in the Conference Premier.

I've said on a previous thread:

"We did not generally play direct under Paul Cox when we won the Conference Premier especially when we won 20 out of 23 games at the end of the season although Paul Cox like Steve Evans liked to get the ball forward early and get the ball in the box. We always played with two wingers (not wing backs!) with Paul Cox picking two from three wingers from Louis Briscoe, Lindon Meikle and Junior Daniel which meant that we were pretty exciting to watch when we were on the front foot. They could actually run forward with the ball and break defensive lines. Matt Green played on his own up front with Lee Stevenson behind him. Matt Rhead generally came on as a sub. Matt Green was not a target man and we would not have got anywhere just smashing long balls up to him. A lot of Matt Green's goals came from good through balls for him to run on to or crosses into the box. We had Adam Murray and Anthony Howell/Adam Chapman in centre midfield. We also did not use the long throw too much in the 2nd half of the season as Big Ex only started one game after January. Set pieces were important though as Luke Jones' goals from corners and free kicks were vital. John Dempster was the other centre half."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:47 pm

Now you mention the 3 wingers we have similar now. Briscoe = Macca puts himself about a bit, can put a cross in but is rare and pops up now and then with a thunderous drive on target. Meikle = Khan fairly quick on his day is unplayable and other days entirely playable. Daniel = CJ quick players who can also slot in anywhere down the left if needs be.

Our current players are better but the style of play is largely similar.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:27 pm

Louis Briscoe scored 34 goals for the Stags in 126(49) league games. Macca could not score for his school team according to JD!! :lol: 6 goals in 79(16) league games.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:40 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Louis Briscoe scored 34 goals for the Stags in 126(49) league games. Macca could not score for his school team according to JD!! :lol: 6 goals in 79(16) league games.

Yeah, but Briscoe was playing against Sunday League goalkeepers and defences, whereas MacDonald has been playing against world class goalies. :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Two wins out of two for Paul Cox who steered Kettering to a 2-1 win at Guiseley.

The Guiseley Chairman, Gary Douglas, clearly did not like him as Guiseley manager!

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/sp ... cox-920566
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:51 pm

pleased for him, i bet he had a wry smile on his face when looking up at the guiseley directors box ar FT :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:56 pm

part time pete wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Louis Briscoe scored 34 goals for the Stags in 126(49) league games. Macca could not score for his school team according to JD!! :lol: 6 goals in 79(16) league games.

Yeah, but Briscoe was playing against Sunday League goalkeepers and defences, whereas MacDonald has been playing against world class goalies. :lol:

Macca is nowhere near as good as Briscoe was. I don't rate Macca at all - never have done.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Two wins out of two for Paul Cox who steered Kettering to a 2-1 win at Guiseley.

The Guiseley Chairman, Gary Douglas, clearly did not like him as Guiseley manager!

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/sp ... cox-920566

Always grateful for Coxy getting us back into League Football and he was a Rookie at that level . So much wanted him to be a success but I’m afraid in the end he ran out of time.
Good Luck Coxy
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:44 pm

The Guisley chairman did his team talk for him there!
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:23 am

Vice President wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Macca is nowhere near as good as Briscoe was. I don't rate Macca at all - never have done.

Most fans didn't rate Briscoe at all, even in the Conference, and said he was unfit.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:38 am

Coxy won his first two games and Kettering move up to fourth from bottom, only two get relegated this season.

Looks like he is having an effect already.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:04 am

Bradders wrote:
Vice President wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Most fans didn't rate Briscoe at all, even in the Conference, and said he was unfit.

I disagree with most fans comment. I rated Briscoe, as did many of my mates. He was exciting to watch at the times and had a thunderbolt of a strike. I'd have loved to have seen Briscoe playing under Flitcroft. Getting him a bit fitter. Missing that peno against Scunny ruined his carear.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
Bradders wrote:
Vice President wrote:
part time pete wrote:

I disagree with most fans comment. I rated Briscoe, as did many of my mates. He was exciting to watch at the times and had a thunderbolt of a strike. I'd have loved to have seen Briscoe playing under Flitcroft. Getting him a bit fitter. Missing that peno against Scunny ruined his carear.

I really rated Briscoe. He also won the penalty against Wrexham, that will always stick in my mind
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Kettering came back from being 3-0 down at home today to Blyth Spartans to draw 4-4.

Goals for Luke Graham and Linden Meikle. The latter was MOM.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:00 am

A 3-0 away win over Peterborough Sports for Paul Cox's Kettering today in the FA Trophy. Lindon Meikle and Aaron O'Connor both scored. Marcus Kelly was sent off in the 2nd half.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum