{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Pearce

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Pearce

Postby yorkstag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:38 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It's a fair point by Sina. Nobody's place in the team should be safe. Matt Preston will be wanting to play against his old team, Walsall.

Krystian has generally been excellent for us for 3 seasons though so he deserves a bit of slack. He's also our 3rd top scorer this season!! :shock:

Darren , I agree but sometimes you have to look at the facts and I'm not one for criticising individuals on here. However KP admitted he turned off at Exeter and arguably was responsible for both goals against Salford. He's a leader but while we are cutting him slack he's costing JD his managerial career.

Needs to up his game. If this was Conrad he would be vilified.

Ticket sales v Walsall look good and hopefully we can cheer the boys to 3 points. COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:19 pm

ParisStag wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:Tin Hat On......

Is it time to drop him n take away the captain armband?

It would be a brave brave manager to kick this back four into gear

Too many players turning up knowing their shirt is safe especially surrounding the spine of the team.

Can anyone imagine Dempster having the authority to put personalities like Pearce, Bish or Conrad in their place when they need it? I can't.

Isn't that an important part of his job?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:30 pm

If it was any other player he'd be dropped. But it's not, it's the chief so we stick by him.

There's only one person to blame for our league position and that's the manager. Hes got a squad and budget to compete and we're miles off.

That said, I thought the football on Tuesday and against Oldham (even 11 v 11) was much improved. But he can't seem to tighten us up at the back and our final ball / crossing is a disgrace.

Had we started the season like I've seen last 2 home games then I'd say it was positive, results aside. But hes wasted so long getting to this point. We see some green shoots and he reverts back to type away from home. Its crackers.

The next 5-10 games will surely decide his future. We need to start averaging 2 points a game. If we can get 20 pts from the next 10 then all is not lost. If, as many suspect, we'll end up with 10-15 pts then it's time to move on and get someone in to prepare for next year.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:43 pm

Don’t think Demps had got the experience or even bottle, to drop Pearce, Bishop etc
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:47 pm

West Ham 1969 wrote:Don’t think Demps had got the experience or even bottle, to drop Pearce, Bishop etc

We don't have players to drop in place of Pearce. Everyone on here would go mental if Sweeney and Preston started on Saturday
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:51 pm

Jamie wrote:If it was any other player he'd be dropped. But it's not, it's the chief so we stick by him.

There's only one person to blame for our league position and that's the manager. Hes got a squad and budget to compete and we're miles off.

That said, I thought the football on Tuesday and against Oldham (even 11 v 11) was much improved. But he can't seem to tighten us up at the back and our final ball / crossing is a disgrace.

Had we started the season like I've seen last 2 home games then I'd say it was positive, results aside. But hes wasted so long getting to this point. We see some green shoots and he reverts back to type away from home. Its crackers.

The next 5-10 games will surely decide his future. We need to start averaging 2 points a game. If we can get 20 pts from the next 10 then all is not lost. If, as many suspect, we'll end up with 10-15 pts then it's time to move on and get someone in to prepare for next year.

Pearce has been a great servant to the club, but that does mean he's not exempt from criticism. He has not been as solid as last year and has been at fault for multiple goals this season which have cost us games. He's still a good player but we'd have won all three points against Salford if he won his header and cleared the cross for salfords goals.

Equally, he won us the game against Grimsby so it swings in roundabouts. If he was more consistent he'd have played at a higher level in his career
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:29 pm

yorkstag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:It's a fair point by Sina. Nobody's place in the team should be safe. Matt Preston will be wanting to play against his old team, Walsall.

Krystian has generally been excellent for us for 3 seasons though so he deserves a bit of slack. He's also our 3rd top scorer this season!! :shock:

Darren , I agree but sometimes you have to look at the facts and I'm not one for criticising individuals on here. However KP admitted he turned off at Exeter and arguably was responsible for both goals against Salford. He's a leader but while we are cutting him slack he's costing JD his managerial career. Needs to up his game. If this was Conrad he would be vilified.

Ticket sales v Walsall look good and hopefully we can cheer the boys to 3 points. COYS

You are not the first Stags fan Paul who has suggested to me this season that KP needs to be dropped to the bench. It would be a massive decision for JD to take. However in football you are only as good as your last performance so if the defence are not keeping clean sheets then you expect changes. Personally, I would give KP the benefit of the doubt and stick with him and Sweeney at the back for Saturday although if JD went for a Preston/Sweeney combination then I would not blame him. He might even go three at the back which gives a little more protection when Kellan Gordon and Mal Benning go bombing forward.

Kellan Gordon was also responsible for both goals on Tuesday.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Number63 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Chander Lear wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:
Paulstag wrote:Pearce is safe in alot of peoples eyes but i would like to know how many mistakes he has made this season that have led to goals compared to Conrad.

I'm sure he has made more.

Now you've done it Paris using logical statements on this forum is against the rules for our Rose tinted glasses of fans......

KP cost us 3 points away from a throw in n some.on here defended KP saying he should have been given a shout Not as if a player was stood 10 yards between him n the goal n he didn't realise until the player peeled away scoring the only goal of the game.......

Mistakes of switching off in games keeps costing the team points JD mentioned this after Tuesday night powder puff defence was his quote....

But eh ho don't let facts get in the way of a player who needs a kick up the backside captain or not.

The logic is flawed. Arguably, Pearce has a heck of a lot more to deal with than logan does, thus is going to be prone to more errors. Law of averages.

Agree he needs a kick though - perhaps a rest on the bench will do him some good.

Law of averages......................
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_averages
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Number63 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:16 pm

Jamie wrote:If it was any other player he'd be dropped. But it's not, it's the chief so we stick by him.

I think that is a fair summary...
Not much matches Mansfield
Number63
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby ST4GS » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:20 am

Chander Lear wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:
Paulstag wrote:Pearce is safe in alot of peoples eyes but i would like to know how many mistakes he has made this season that have led to goals compared to Conrad.

Now you've done it Paris using logical statements on this forum is against the rules for our Rose tinted glasses of fans......

KP cost us 3 points away from a throw in n some.on here defended KP saying he should have been given a shout Not as if a player was stood 10 yards between him n the goal n he didn't realise until the player peeled away scoring the only goal of the game.......

Mistakes of switching off in games keeps costing the team points JD mentioned this after Tuesday night powder puff defence was his quote....

But eh ho don't let facts get in the way of a player who needs a kick up the backside captain or not.

The logic is flawed. Arguably, Pearce has a heck of a lot more to deal with than logan does, thus is going to be prone to more errors. Law of averages.

Agree he needs a kick though - perhaps a rest on the bench will do him some good.
Pearce was in and out of Evans' team in the early days and looked like he was going to be a casualty. He then cemented his place and went from strength to strength with magnificent and consistent performances. Last seasons defence (especially for the first part of the season) was the best we have had in years in terms of clean sheets and performances. I would go 4-4-2 at Walsall and drop Pearce to the bench. Pearce knuckled down two years ago and had the character to come back stronger without throwing the rattle out of the pram. There is no reason why this cannot happen again.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:38 am

ST4GS wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:

Pearce was in and out of Evans' team in the early days and looked like he was going to be a casualty. He then cemented his place and went from strength to strength with magnificent and consistent performances. Last seasons defence (especially for the first part of the season) was the best we have had in years in terms of clean sheets and performances. I would go 4-4-2 at Walsall and drop Pearce to the bench. Pearce knuckled down two years ago and had the character to come back stronger without throwing the rattle out of the pram. There is no reason why this cannot happen again.

He wasn't captain then though....
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Alwaysa5tag » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:09 am

All players should be picked on form.

The main problem with our supporters is the treatment of different players...

Danny Rose can go 20 games without a goal and he's unlucky and fans are sympathetic.

Someone suggests dropping Pearce and most go up in arms despite several mistakes this season.

Our certain goalkeeper makes a mistake and folk want him putting before the firing squad!
Alwaysa5tag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Sweeney had a poor start to the season though gradually improved.

Preston has been nowhere near his form last year and has been sent off through utter stupidity twice.

Benning having his worst start to a season so far, his crossing is well off the mark.

White in and out, done fine at but let himself down with a red at Grimsby (for which he got bailed out with Pearce’s winner by the way)

My point is even though Pearce hasn’t been at his best and has made some mistakes, the rest of the back line haven’t been up to much either. The problem is deeper than just giving him a kick up the arse by putting them on the bench. The back line has been poor from the first game as a collective unit and the management have failed to get them organised, that’s my concern!! I’m not sure we’d gain much by dropping Pearce.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Alwaysa5tag wrote:All players should be picked on form.

Danny Rose can go 20 games without a goal and he's unlucky and fans are sympathetic.

Someone suggests dropping Pearce and most go up in arms despite several mistakes this season.

Our certain goalkeeper makes a mistake and folk want him putting before the firing squad!

Give the Chief a break FGS!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:23 pm

When did Dsnny ever go 20 games without goal?
And always gives 100%

Pearce is our Goerge Foster, but Dempster please stop asking the centre defense to bring the ball out .
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:37 pm

tuopolfpilf wrote:When did Dsnny ever go 20 games without goal?
And always gives 100%

Pearce is our Goerge Foster, but Dempster please stop asking the centre defense to bring the ball out .

Last season, when he managed 3 goals. Didn't score in the league from october 9th till this season.

Dannys record though overall is quite good... 86 (37 subs) appearances 34 goals
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:39 pm

And always gives 100%

so you want em to hoof it eh?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:51 pm

Pearce makes mistakes in certain phases of play but what worries me more is in several phases of our play on Tuesday the whole defence and midfield had chances to clear our lines and they didn’t. It wasn’t just one mistake it was several schoolboy errors. The chief gets cut some slack because he has earned it imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:48 pm

Alwaysa5tag wrote:All players should be picked on form.

You make a valid point.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:38 pm

Spiritater wrote:
And always gives 100%

so you want em to hoof it eh?

NO! Give it to someone who can keep it

We've had 2 men sent off trying to bring the ball out of defense

And btw did Danny Rose start 20 games without scoring???
Very surprised if so
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:50 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Sweeney had a poor start to the season though gradually improved.

Preston has been nowhere near his form last year and has been sent off through utter stupidity twice.

Benning having his worst start to a season so far, his crossing is well off the mark.

White in and out, done fine at but let himself down with a red at Grimsby (for which he got bailed out with Pearce’s winner by the way)

My point is even though Pearce hasn’t been at his best and has made some mistakes, the rest of the back line haven’t been up to much either. The problem is deeper than just giving him a kick up the arse by putting them on the bench. The back line has been poor from the first game as a collective unit and the management have failed to get them organised, that’s my concern!! I’m not sure we’d gain much by dropping Pearce.

Good points BH_Stag

You could also point out that Kellan Gordon is good going forward but not the greatest defender in the world. I blamed him along with KP for the two Salford goals and in total I think he could have done better for 7 goals we have conceded this season. He does not look like a natural defender regarding picking up his man and getting in tackles and blocks.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:23 pm

In my time watching The Stags, ex centre halves have never been able to get together a solid defence. Boam, Foster, Watkiss and now Dempster have all failed and leaked goals.

Note to JR, don't hire anymore ex centre halves.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:31 pm

Big yella wrote:In my time watching The Stags, ex centre halves have never been able to get together a solid defence. Boam, Foster, Watkiss and now Dempster have all failed and leaked goals.

Paul Cox?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:08 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:In my time watching The Stags, ex centre halves have never been able to get together a solid defence. Boam, Foster, Watkiss and now Dempster have all failed and leaked goals.

Paul Cox?

Didn't make it clear, but meant ex centre halves of ours. Played for and then managed us.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:15 pm

Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Paul Cox?

Didn't make it clear, but meant ex centre halves of ours. Played for and then managed us.

Fair enough.

The best defence I have seen was last season under Flitcroft, playing three at the back as well ;)
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum