{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Pearce

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Pearce

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:04 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:In my time watching The Stags, ex centre halves have never been able to get together a solid defence. Boam, Foster, Watkiss and now Dempster have all failed and leaked goals.

Note to JR, don't hire anymore ex centre halves.

Paul Cox?

Didn't make it clear, but meant ex centre halves of ours. Played for and then managed us.

Fair enough.

The best defence I have seen was last season under Flitcroft, playing three at the back as well ;)
Futcher had a lot to do with that.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:17 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Big yella wrote:In my time watching The Stags, ex centre halves have never been able to get together a solid defence. Boam, Foster, Watkiss and now Dempster have all failed and leaked goals.

Note to JR, don't hire anymore ex centre halves.

Paul Cox?

Didn't make it clear, but meant ex centre halves of ours. Played for and then managed us.

Fair enough.

The best defence I have seen was last season under Flitcroft, playing three at the back as well ;)
Futcher had a lot to do with that.

Do you know that personally ?
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:51 am

The back 3 last season worked because they got a very good run of games together. No injuries or suspensions (that I remmeber or of significant length) in the first half of the season.

This season, I don't think we have had a consistent defence more than 2 games in a row. We've either swapped to a back 4 or a wing back has had to fill in because someone wanted an early bath or beat the traffic.

We need a settled back line, whether that be a 3 or a 4. You could extend that to the rest of the team as well. Cook and Maynard need to start again today. Consistency is key in football. We are playing inconsistent starting XIs and as a result we are getting inconsistent results. I am aware of the reasons behind the inconsistent XIs but it still doesn't detract from the fact we are doing it.

Right now Demps needs to be brave and pick his own style, his own shape and his own formation. Then he needs to pick his ideal starting XI and not to defer from it too much unless injury, suspension or a prolonged loss of form.

DF tried to play the same way as SE and had terrible form, he did the above and we had a better season, JD tried playing the same way as DF and is having terrible form, or is that just coincidence?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:55 pm

So was it Krystian Pearce who was supposed to be marking Elijah Adebayo for Walsall's goal or Conor Shaughnessy? I've watched the video a few times. I think it was Krystian. I think Conor Shaughnessy was picking up Dan Scarr and Ryan Sweeney was picking up Rory Gaffney.

The injury to Krystian may help freshen him up and it gives Matt Preston a chance to make a claim for the centre half position. Matt Preston is very brave when the ball is in the air and sticks his head in where it hurts as demonstrated at Yeovil and Franchise FC last season.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:00 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:So was it Krystian Pearce who was supposed to be marking Elijah Adebayo for Walsall's goal or Conor Shaughnessy? I've watched the video a few times. I think it was Krystian. I think Conor Shaughnessy was picking up Dan Scarr and Ryan Sweeney was picking up Rory Gaffney.

yes Pearce I think.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:49 pm

[quote="gazza1988"]The back 3 last season worked because they got a very good run of games together. No injuries or suspensions (that I remmeber or of significant length) in the first half of the season.
/quote]

Gazza you make a good point in your opening statement however from the away game at Notts County the wheels fell off n we've not recovered since
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:12 pm

West Ham 1969 wrote:Don’t think Demps had got the experience or even bottle, to drop Pearce, Bishop etc

The Stags made a nervy start at Walsall and Krystian Pearce mistimed a clearance, lost possession to Josh Gordon and then let Rory Gaffney go past him in the first 5/6 minutes. JD was very agitated and screamed at KP to switch on. He was not happy with KP's start to the game.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 am

SINA STAG wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:The back 3 last season worked because they got a very good run of games together. No injuries or suspensions (that I remmeber or of significant length) in the first half of the season.

Gazza you make a good point in your opening statement however from the away game at Notts County the wheels fell off n we've not recovered since

It was around that time we started having suspensions for accumulated yellows and the odd week or 2 injury. We also had Ben Turner start around that time who wasn't even remotely match fit. Also I don't think he had ever played in a back 3 before so his positioning was off. It wasn't until towards the end of the season when he got used to the system and got match fitness did he actually look useful.

If true that Pearce has been carrying an injury then the back line hasn't stayed injury free yet this season and as a result our defensive performance has suffered. Either that or our defence has always been rubbish and last season is down to an "attack is the best form of defence" mentality.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:26 pm

I still think that Pearce is the best defender that we have.
Does anyone know why he isn't being picked? - Is he carrying an injury, lacking in fitness, or does GC simply not rate him?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:31 pm

Vice President wrote:I still think that Pearce is the best defender that we have.
Does anyone know why he isn't being picked? - Is he carrying an injury, lacking in fitness, or does GC simply not rate him?

I suspect he is not 100% fit
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:43 pm

He's been excellent for seasons, but maybe some complacency has crept in. If it has, then fair enough, he'll be back.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:21 pm

Hoping Pearce is back in the side sooner rather than later, whether that be in a back 4 or in a 3. We need him to find form again, easily our best defender and one of the best in the league when he is on it. He wasn’t at the races under Dempster but he was brilliant for a couple of years before that era so hopefully Coughlan can get the best out of him.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby natfromboza » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:40 pm

It's time for him to replace Preston for me.
natfromboza
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:03 pm

natfromboza wrote:It's time for him to replace Preston for me.

Agree 100% with that statement.

Preston is currently our defensive weak link IMO.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum