{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bishop

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Bishop

Postby Norman » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:55 pm

He’s been great in his last 2 seasons for us . Unfortunately his legs are now going and he’s becoming a liability. The sad thing is there’s no one to replace him!
Norman
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Bishop

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:56 pm

He’s not been the same. I think we’re asking a lot of him at 38 to do what he does, we are crying out for a CM.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Norman wrote:He’s been great in his last 2 seasons for us . Unfortunately his legs are now going and he’s becoming a liability. The sad thing is there’s no one to replace him!

Got to agree.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vinnie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:59 pm

We absolutely flogged him to death last season, playing him in every game virtually. No matter how fit you are at 38, that's going to take it's toll.
Vinnie
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:59 pm

sadly with a heavy heart agree too Stormin
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:19 pm

Given the alternatives available, Neal Bishop is still worth his place.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:25 pm

Norman wrote:He’s been great in his last 2 seasons for us . Unfortunately his legs are now going and he’s becoming a liability. The sad thing is there’s no one to replace him!

Yes there is. In a 433 the midfield should be run by shaugnessey with Gordon and Dapo. In a 442 include Smith who at least passes the ball forward with some success. Bishop should be benched to come on and add steel in last 10 mins if needed. Scunthorpe knew he was no good for league one and benched him after xmas in his last season there. Hes had a decent run here for two seasons but the sooner its over the better hes done at end of season either way
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:00 pm

So Bish is the new CJ. You lot are too pathetic for words.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Rob wrote:So Bish is the new CJ. You lot are too pathetic for words.

I like CJ hamilton in the side if he is played as an out an out left winger. Sadly that has never been the case ever under the last two managers. I am a supporter of JD who is learning his trade progressively. His team tonight were a little bit unlucky so far as if chances created were taken the result would be drastically different, so not fully his fault really. But bishop for me is not the new CJ as i have never said anything against him directly. Bishop is a liability in the side and if not taken out of it then more results like tonight will follow. We have better players and his inclusion is closely linked to his relationship with the radfords and always has been
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Beano » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:44 pm

You realise this is a discussion board Rob?
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:54 pm

Beano wrote:

Yep. I don't agree with slagging our own players off. Soz and all that but feel free to slag them off, it truly will help.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:25 am

DogsDoDahs wrote:

Yes there is. In a 433 the midfield should be run by shaugnessey with Gordon and Dapo. In a 442 include Smith who at least passes the ball forward with some success. Bishop should be benched to come on and add steel in last 10 mins if needed. Scunthorpe knew he was no good for league one and benched him after xmas in his last season there. Hes had a decent run here for two seasons but the sooner its over the better hes done at end of season either way

Let me get this straight, you want a striker and a right mid playing centre midfield?

Also, everyone thought Tomlinson was the new mini bish last season but hes just a liability and is the first player to get hauled off when we're losing
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:52 am

Bish was very poir last night, but he's not the only one suffering a hangover from last season.

There is a point in every player's career when time catches up with them and he's already at the veteran stage.

Maybe he needs to be used differently instead of being 1st pick every week, use him as a sub to sure things up in a tight game. JD's options have restricted though by the actions of Mellis & Donoghue and the lack of form from Tomlinson.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:08 am

The lack of quality in midfield it should not be a shock to anybody, the majority of fans have been screaming this since preseason, a huge glaring hole in the middle of the park why has this not been addressed?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:12 am

Get him in the dugout. Promote from within, that's what we do now.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:24 am

Last season was a yard in front of the game. Tackling his opponent as they received the ball. This season a yard behind the game. The opposition receive the ball and have time to pass it or drop a shoulder and move before Bishop is there. Have his legs gone or is it the Dempster effect. Cos the whole team look yards behind last year.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:51 am

Rob wrote:
Beano wrote:

Yep. I don't agree with slagging our own players off. Soz and all that but feel free to slag them off, it truly will help.

Difference between slagging off and expressing a opinion mate, stop being so sensitive, it’s a Internet forum for Christ sake.

My opinion is he’s looked dreadful the last couple of games, constantly giving the ball away and struggling to keep up a bit too.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:24 am

I thought his reading of the game last season was his real skill and took him to places others didn't see but last night he always seemed to be doing things late and in catch up.....doing them well but reactive rather than proactive snd it must be taking it out of him.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:45 am

Similar to David Vaughan at County... he was an alright player but didn't have the legs and got ran past too easily.

JD should have addressed the midfield in the summer and didn't. From Jan onwards last year he wasn't that good and neither is Macca... Shaugnessy needs someone decent next to him, probably an inform Mellis.

Also annoying that Donohue has gone to swindon and been putting MOM performances in. They cant believe they managed to sign a centre mid with such quality for free.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:48 am

Sedgwick wrote:Similar to David Vaughan at County... he was an alright player but didn't have the legs and got ran past too easily.

JD should have addressed the midfield in the summer and didn't. From Jan onwards last year he wasn't that good and neither is Macca... Shaugnessy needs someone decent next to him, probably an inform Mellis.

Also annoying that Donohue has gone to swindon and been putting MOM performances in. They cant believe they managed to sign a centre mid with such quality for free.

We shouldn’t have got rid of Donahue. Was inevitable he’d join someone in our league and be decent. Might as well have stuck by him and let the courts decide his punishment.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:10 am

Yes, some of Bishop's s passes were very poor last night but you cannot fault his break up play.

He is at it for 90 mins, oh how I wish Tomlinson had that energy at his tender age.

Bishop needs to play in front of a back four disrupting the opposition, not pushing forward and leaving a hole that other players don't cover.

I will not knock Bishop, all I will say is we expect far too much of him whilst other players coast, Khan being but one.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:13 am

How bad was he on the ball last night?!
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 am

By far and away his worst performance in a Stags shirt last night. He was simply woeful - two yards behind play, couldn't pick a pass, gave the ball away more times than anyone else on the pitch, missed two good chances, and is a walking yellow card.

I love the bloke, but signs aren't good.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:02 am

Rob wrote:
Beano wrote:

Commenting that someone has a good/bad game is one of the main points of a football discussion forum.

Bish has had some really positive comments (rightly so) since he arrived, but the fact that he is in the latter stage of his career is bound to be a factor.

He’s still one hell of a player at this level and could perhaps do with some of those around him pulling their weight.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:12 am

oldweststander wrote:Yes, some of Bishop's s passes were very poor last night but you cannot fault his break up play.

He is at it for 90 mins, oh how I wish Tomlinson had that energy at his tender age.

Bishop needs to play in front of a back four disrupting the opposition, not pushing forward and leaving a hole that other players don't cover.

I will not knock Bishop, all I will say is we expect far too much of him whilst other players coast, Khan being but one.

How can you say Khan coasted last night? He was at the heart of most good things we did yesterday going forward, particularly first half and I thought he was one of our better performers last night behind Shaugnessy. Khans role is to find pockets and try and create, not make lung busting runs back towards his own goal.

Nobody is saying there’s a lack of effort with Bishop as that is not the case, but there has been a lack of quality in recent games. I think it’s asking too much of him now to be playing 2 games in 4 days.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum