{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Team, tactics and formation we wanted......

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Team, tactics and formation we wanted......

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:43 am

geoffhill wrote:Jimmymac.How you can say that DF wasn't experienced enough seem a strange comment when he has achieved promotion with Bury.We played quite well last night but just couldn't score.Pearce at fault especially for the second goal.we have a good enough squad to win more matches than we lose.Not sure that replacing the manager would improve matters.Any team can win in this league.Just see where we end up.Mellis and White would help.

A third of the season gone and we have only four wins.

If we don't change the manager we all need to accept the best we will achieve is mid table obscurity.

We have good players who are underperforming and seem to lack spirit.

I don't think the management team have tha capacity to take us up anywhere near the playoffs.

Another year of disappointment and a clear out of players at the end of the season looms. It such a shame as this team could have succeeded had the board made the right appointment.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 am

As (obviously ) someone who never agreed with this appointment from the beginning or ever thought it would do anything for the club in our fantastic progression under the Radfords I genuinely fear for the future.

JD put his best team out there last night ...what some of us had been calling for weeks....and played the preferred formation rather than that drudgery he has used since the start of the season...yet it still didn't get us the result.

I thought Cookey and Maynard played really well together and once they have more game time together will be a handful for most defences but what was still lacking was the killer ball.

The one time Shaughnessy delivered it Nicky put it away and his other chance grazed a post. All the other passes and crosses left people with too much to do and it beggars belief that we can't deliver a ball effectively.

I'm not sure what else JD could have done last night and therein lies the problem....has he got what is needed to get it done?

I was amazed there were 4000 last night plus visitors and that's testament to the recent results but the fickle fans will soon find other things to do and then that hurts the club and Radfords financially and the consequences of that for us don't bear thinking about.

I also said from the start that I thought he would take us into a relegation fight and anyone who doesn't see that as possible or staring in our faces right now must be watching something different to me.

There was no real booing or insults apart from briefly at the final whistle but equally there was no real atmosphere after the first 15 minutes...100 Salford fans made more noise than us and that comes from what is being delivered, felt and watched.

Like most I just shrugged my shoulders and trudged home last night wondering if all we are going to do us turn up game after game where nothing really matters unless we simply are rock bottom and then a catastrophe is looming.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby west country stag » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 am

We seriously need to give young Knowles a run in the side up front with Nicky . Cook & Davies dont fill me with belief .
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:04 am

My view is more simplistic than most of the above.

Fans wanted 442, last night they got what they wanted, the only thing wrong was, IMO, the players still had a 352 mindset.

You cannot play with two wingbacks in a 442 formation, it leaves the defence woefully susceptible to a quick counter attack as in the first Salford goal.

What do we do about it, we go back to what was so good last year, 3 at the back, or you ban your fullbacks from being sudo-wingers rather than defenders who occasionally get forward.

Going "gung-ho" is not the way to consistently win football matches.

442 needs two wide midfielders, a holding midfielder and a play maker to make it can work.

You cannot mix and match, formations.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:18 am

Team, tactics and formation wasn't right. We lost. So how can it have been right?

2 defensive errors, and we were the better team, but we still lost.

I thought we were slow and ponderous in our approach. League 2 players aren't good enough to play that way and break through.

Say what you want about Evans, from a football sense, he wanted the best for his team and did whatever he could to get the best out of them, because it made him look good!

He blasted his players for mistakes, and he heaped on the praise when they played well. Such a character. This is what JD lacks, and you either have it or you don't.

The players are neither enthused at the prospect of 'playing', nor scared into action at the prospect of 'not playing'.

The result is what we can see: generally underwhelming.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:19 am

west country stag wrote:We seriously need to give young Knowles a run in the side up front with Nicky . Cook & Davies dont fill me with belief .

how does cook not give you belief when he scored two against FGR to earn us a draw?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:31 am

oldweststander wrote:My view is more simplistic than most of the above.

Fans wanted 442, last night they got what they wanted, the only thing wrong was, IMO, the players still had a 352 mindset.

You cannot play with two wingbacks in a 442 formation, it leaves the defence woefully susceptible to a quick counter attack as in the first Salford goal.

What do we do about it, we go back to what was so good last year, 3 at the back, or you ban your fullbacks from being sudo-wingers rather than defenders who occasionally get forward.

Going "gung-ho" is not the way to consistently win football matches.

442 needs two wide midfielders, a holding midfielder and a play maker to make it can work.

You cannot mix and match, formations.

I agree. In the first half Pearce was often pushed wide right as he was used to someone outside him.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:53 am

Agreed Pearce was covering Gordon too much as Gordon was playing too far advanced. If Gordon plays he should play in the right wing/right midfield role with a right back behind him.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:56 am

part time pete wrote:Agreed Pearce was covering Gordon too much as Gordon was playing too far advanced. If Gordon plays he should play in the right wing/right midfield role with a right back behind him.

Exactly Pete, White RB and Gordon in front of him. Will blind Pugh do it though?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:02 am

It was the first 20-25 minutes that cost us, we were on top and created enough good chances. If we go ahead I think we win the game but we didn’t take advantage and we were wasteful.

I still think there’s a tactical issue, until we went more gung-ho I felt the defence and midfield dropped deep leaving a big gap to the strikers. Maynard kept dropping deep to pick up the ball which made it difficult to pick up second balls off of Cook or their centre backs.

The wing backs is a difficult dilemma as they were a good attacking threat but left gaps for Salford to get in behind.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:03 pm

1966Stag wrote:An average set of players with a below average manager, at least we will not have to worry about bottling it in the last 10 games, season's over after first 15.

For the Premiership, definitely! :P

Oddlly enough bud, i think we've a squad of players easily capable of challenging for the playoffs. Imo, we lack some real leadership from a few players who can galvanise & inspire the rest, especially when the result / performances are not up to par.
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:00 pm

part time pete wrote:Agreed Pearce was covering Gordon too much as Gordon was playing too far advanced. If Gordon plays he should play in the right wing/right midfield role with a right back behind him.

Doesn't account for Pearce losing out on the header that lead to the first goal. Or for his Sunday league defending for the second.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Played 15
Won 4

Won two at home
Won two away.

Played 5 of the 6 teams below us and the 3 teams above us in the league.

We play the other team below, Walsall, on Saturday. By which point we will have played all of the current bottom half teams in the league apart from Macclesfield.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Doesn't account for Pearce losing out on the header that lead to the first goal. Or for his Sunday league defending for the second.

If Gordon wasn’t out of position and too far up field he would have been able to challenge the goal scorer after the flick on.

Also a good full back would not have allowed the cross to come in which led to the second goal.
part time pete

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:24 am

We played well and deserved to win. We had 69% possession and 24 attempts on goal compared to Salford's 4. We also made 556 passes compared to Salford's 248. It was probably our most dominant performance of the season against an opposition with 11 men. We just did not take our chances. The first goal is so important as if we had taken the lead then we might have ended up winning easily. We also made a few sloppy mistakes at the back with Krystian Pearce losing the header and Kellan Gordon losing Jake Jervis for the first Salford goal. Neal Bishop should have got a tackle in on Jervis for the second goal and Kellan Gordon and Conor Shaughnessy should have blocked his cross. It then deflects off Gordan and Krystian Pearce sticks a leg out and it bounces nicely for Rooney.

If we carry on playing like that then I think we will win more than we lose. Need to get back on track against Walsall.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby old ram stag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 am

very positive post TTF but I don't see us having a game plan to beat teams, you can have 98% possession but if you don't convert that to goals it's pointless, on tue the only shot that would have needed any sort of a save was our goal, the rest my old gran would have saved.
old ram stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:40 pm

old ram stag wrote:very positive post TTF but I don't see us having a game plan to beat teams, you can have 98% possession but if you don't convert that to goals it's pointless, on tue the only shot that would have needed any sort of a save was our goal, the rest my old gran would have saved.

The expected goals for us on Tuesday was 2.4 goals.

This means an average L2 side should score between 2 and 3 goals with those chances.

Either we are crap at shooting or their goalkeeper plays a blinder.

I think we agree their goalkeeper didn’t play a blinder.
part time pete

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Ifs, buts, and bad haircuts.

We’re not far off from being a really good team. Have faith.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum