{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Salford scorefred sponsered by work in progress

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Salford scorefred sponsered by work in progress

Postby daddycool » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:30 am

:o :o
Jamie wrote:
daddycool wrote:Who is the guaranteed manager that will take us forward ?

What a stupid question. You know there are no guarantees. I'm pretty sure we could find someone capable of bringing a better points haul that JD has been though.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:35 am

BH_Stag wrote:
adamstag wrote:How has the defence descended into this?

2 goals a game, constant mistakes. The problem under dempster is the same things happen, nothing changes it’s groundhog day.

4000 home fans again last night how long have we got before they fall away?

Something needs to change like yesterday.

You’ve got to question what on earth we do in training. Are Dempster and Glover really good coaches? Can they genuinely motivate these players and improve them? More importantly do the players believe that they can?

I keep hearing Dempsters supposedly great after what he did with the kids, but it’s a different kettle of fish for him now with a lot more pressure to actually win games. He said himself he was over complicating training early doors and sought advice of senior players, does he really know what he’s doing now? Other than Rose I wouldn’t say he’s got single player performing better than they did last season.

We don’t seem well drilled in any aspect of the game. The best defence in the league last season is now conceding for fun, we’ve only just started to play to our strikers strengths a bit more (and that went out the window for 60 minutes at FGR), and you’ve got players like CJ who thrived under the last 2 managers with the time and effort they put in to him now hugely underperforming. What do we actually work on because nothing has come to fruition.

I agree. I also feel there is a lack of encouragement from the touchline.

Sadly we have gone backwards and continue to do so.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:53 am

Regarding this thing regarding dempster did great with the kids.

We won 3 league titles in a row with him as head of youth and as Mark peters as U18s coach.

Mark peters left and I think dempster took on a more involved role in the u18s and we finished nowhere near the top. Are we giving dempster too much credit for what he did with the youth team or did a lot of that good work come from mark peters ?

Discuss ....
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Beano wrote:
Rob wrote:
Beano wrote:You can scream the same anti fan nonsense as much as you like, but the fact is, the fans didn’t sack DF

Neither did they employ JD

Make a few more spelling/grammatical errors and Lomas will start to worry about his job ;)

Well that added to the debate didn't it :lol: I am not sure how I am anti fan, I am anti-stupid fan, most fans did not want DF sacked, there were no protests, no DF out chants but the voices of idiots clearly had some sort of influence on JR. Dead easy to criticise those with a view Beano, so how about your view, were we right to sack DF? Should we now sack JD? Should we change manager every few months unless we achieve instant success? Did the changing manager policy work well for Notts Co and Chesterfield?

I think our owner has done an unbelievable job at MTFC and have supported him at every corner, but he was wrong to sack DF. I will repeat again, DF took us to our highest league position in 15 years.

I’m confused, you stated that there were no DF out shouts, but then said “the voices of idiots” had some influence on JR. Please explain who you mean.

“Was JR right to sack DF”? The whole team failed IMO the players bottled it, and the manager failed to get them motivated/confident. I would have given him until this Christmas with specific targets, I would also have given the squad the same targets (they are equally to blame and even to date are letting JR and the fans down)

“Should we now sack JD”? The decision to employ JD as first team manager was an incredibly risky gamble, whoever influenced JR to take that gamble (not the stupid fans) should perhaps keep his opinions to himself in future ;) As for sacking him now, I think it’s pointless, we’re going to finish mid table and changing manager now won’t improve that (and the events down the A60 have demonstrated the risk of constant changes). Next season is a different matter, without a significant improvement I wouldn’t give him another season (neither would I extend the contracts of half of this squad).

“Should we change manager every few months” ? Clearly not, but we (JR) should maybe take more care in managerial appointments if he wants results on the field to match his obvious ambitions and investments.

“DF finished in our highest position for 15 years” correct, however he ultimately failed (twice) to get one of the best squads we have ever had over the line.

Twice as bad as Keith Curle :) ;)

I was feeling a touch emotional after the game last night and should have waited until today to read the views before posting, therefore I do apologise for a few comments made which as I say were out of frustration at seeing us not win a game we really should have. Nevertheless, I retain the same opinion, if expressed slightly more calmly, that constantly removing managers is not the way to run a football club and as you have said, DF should have been given at least the start of this season to make up for his narrow failure the previous season.

As to your question, the "voices" were on social media, as I am sure they are now wanting JD sacked. Like you I do not think JD should be sacked, we should have won the game comfortably last night, it was not JD's fault KP failed to clear the ball correctly and it was not JD's fault we had 24 shots but only managed 5 on target. We dominated most of the game last night, the tactics were good but the execution by some of the players was poor, I blame them for last night, not the manager. That said, I also agree that he was not the right appointment (notwithstanding the point that we should not have been making a new appointment in the first place) and I also think that unless things improve reasonably quickly it may be time to look elsewhere at some stage later on this season or in the summer.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Some really good football last night and the makings of a quality team . Switch Gordon for Macca. White to right back. Then we just need a box to box midfielder alongside Shaunessy to give the forwards more support up front.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ST4GS » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:53 pm

five to three wrote:Some really good football last night and the makings of a quality team . Switch Gordon for Macca. White to right back. Then we just need a box to box midfielder alongside Shaunessy to give the forwards more support up front.
Tend to agree. The disappointment being the form (or lack of) of our defenders. I know the team defends as a unit but we are making too many individual errors and are nowhere near as solid as last season. Clean sheets were common place this time last year. Now we have to score 2 to get a point.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:55 pm

five to three wrote:Some really good football last night and the makings of a quality team . Switch Gordon for Macca. White to right back. Then we just need a box to box midfielder alongside Shaunessy to give the forwards more support up front.

This is how I see it. Whether JD is the right appointment or not, we played well last night and but for some dodgy finishing and defending we would have thrashed Salford. Definitely not JDs fault. I can’t fault the players effort only some of the application.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Spot on
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:20 pm

This. There’s a decent team in there (essentially same as last year but with more striking options) but the confidence, tactics, motivation and focus are lacking the required standard to deliver consistency
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum