{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Advice for visiting fan

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Advice for visiting fan

Postby Trenam » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 pm

If i’m not right did’nt palace supporters come to cheer us on at Wrexham when we won, and sent you up with us to dev.2 if so , thank you. 1946/47 stag :coys:
Trenam
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby CPFC fan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:31 pm

I have to admit the Wrexham game is a new one on me but sounds like a very Palace thing to have done. I’m happy to reinstate the tradition of Palace randomly supporting Mansfield, 40 years later!
CPFC fan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:22 pm

Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby chip63 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:57 pm

CPFC fan wrote:I have to admit the Wrexham game is a new one on me but sounds like a very Palace thing to have done. I’m happy to reinstate the tradition of Palace randomly supporting Mansfield, 40 years later!

Was there. Got in free because they opened the gates up to let us all in.
Palace went from strength to strength after our win promoted them and probably saved the club.
Palace fans were to the left of our goal and how they got tickets I do not know,think there was over 20,000 there.
I still remember them celebrating as much as we did when we won.
No play offs in the good old days just top 3 up.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:14 am

If my memory serves me correct, Wrexham threw promotion away that season as they lost to Crystal Palace twice in the last few games as well as losing to us on last day.

A bit like us last season, However they did get promoted the following season.

Let’s hope history repeats its self and we go up this year.
part time pete

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:31 pm

chip63 wrote:
CPFC fan wrote:I have to admit the Wrexham game is a new one on me but sounds like a very Palace thing to have done. I’m happy to reinstate the tradition of Palace randomly supporting Mansfield, 40 years later!

Palace went from strength to strength after our win promoted them and probably saved the club.
Palace fans were to the left of our goal and how they got tickets I do not know,think there was over 20,000 there.

top two
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:02 pm

No Edders it was top 3
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:23 pm

Stags, Brighton, Palace
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:49 pm

It would be nice if the Wrexham story had become a proper footballing alliance between the clubs. Some clubs have that from fan groups connecting or certain games in their pasts. I think Spurs and Forest have something. Makes a change from rivalries and tribalism all the time.

Echo the above comments about avoiding Chesterfield btw. No point going to all that effort vaccinating your kids for the sake of 10 minutes.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:06 pm

I can remember the Crystal Palace fans at Wrexham on 14th May 1977 (Attendance: 20,754). After winning two Championships in three years, I genuinely believed after that game that the Stags might possibly make it to Division 1/Premier League. The Stags then flew too close to the Sun and crashed and burned. We were back in Division 4 by 1980 whereas Crystal Palace under Terry Venables went on to win Division 2/The Championship in 1978-1979. Terry Venables went on to be England manager.

When we won the Division 3 Championship in 1976-1977, we lost 2-0 early in the season to Crystal Palace. I think Peter Taylor was playing for them then and he had already played for England. He, of course, also went on to manage England. I can remember the home match at Field Mill which the Stags won 1-0 with a goal from Colin Foster. Attendance: 10,944. I can remember Jim Cannon and Ian Evans playing at centre half for Palace with Kenny Sansom at left back. He played for England two years later. I think Peter Nicholas was in Palace's midfield with big Dave Swindlehurst up front. They also had players like Barry Silkman, Jerry Murphy, the Hinshelwood brothers etc. I was hoping that the match report was on Stagsnet so I could check the Palace team for that game. It ought to be included as it was a very important win for the Stags. Perhaps Martin can dig it out.

The following season in Division 2/The Championship, we lost 3-1 at Palace in our first away game in front of a crowd of 19,019. We had beaten Stoke City 2-1 at home in our first game. The late Dave Syrett scored our goal. I can remember listening to Stan Searl's match reports on BBC Radio Nottingham. I think he said that we had played pretty well and that 3-1 was not a fair reflection of the game. We then lost 3-1 to Palace at Field Mill on New Year's Eve with Johnny Aston scoring our goal. Attendance: 9,291. This game is in the Stagsnet archives. Happy times.

https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/report ... lace77.htm

Even older Stags fans might remember the Stags beating Crystal Palace 7-2 in the FA Cup in 1962 with Waggy scoring a hat-trick.

https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/cpalace.html
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:00 am

chip63 wrote:

The good old days? Literally the play-offs are one of the best ideas the Football League have had.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby w12stag » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 pm

By the way cpfc fan,Matlock is not in the Peak District.Neither is Buxton.Bakewell is and amazingly a fair proportion of Sheffield.Enjoy your trip.
w12stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:02 pm

[quote="w12stag"]By the way cpfc fan,Matlock is not in the Peak District.Neither is Buxton.Bakewell is and amazingly a fair proportion of Sheffield.Enjoy your trip.[/quote

And there endeth the the lesson for today.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby The One » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:23 pm

w12stag wrote:By the way cpfc fan,Matlock is not in the Peak District.Neither is Buxton.Bakewell is and amazingly a fair proportion of Sheffield.Enjoy your trip.

Thought Matlock area was White Peak, Sheffield area Dark Peak ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby CPFC fan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:52 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
w12stag wrote:By the way cpfc fan,Matlock is not in the Peak District.Neither is Buxton.Bakewell is and amazingly a fair proportion of Sheffield.Enjoy your trip.[/quote

And I was doing so well making friends with everyone and doing my bit for the North/South divide *hangs geographically challenged southern head in shame* ;)
CPFC fan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:02 pm

I remember the palace game at field mill with Malcom Allison in his Stetson and terry venebles at his side. They both signed my program and most of the players too..it was 10p and I still have it.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:07 pm

The One wrote:
w12stag wrote:By the way cpfc fan,Matlock is not in the Peak District.Neither is Buxton.Bakewell is and amazingly a fair proportion of Sheffield.Enjoy your trip.

Thought Matlock area was White Peak, Sheffield area Dark Peak ?

officially Matlock 'on the fringes' but not quite in the boundary of t'park.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:01 pm

CPFC fan wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:
w12stag wrote:By the way cpfc fan,Matlock is not in the Peak District.Neither is Buxton.Bakewell is and amazingly a fair proportion of Sheffield.Enjoy your trip.[/quote

And I was doing so well making friends with everyone and doing my bit for the North/South divide *hangs geographically challenged southern head in shame* ;)

I'm sure your half term week away and visit to us is going to be truly devastated because you didnt know which location was in the Peak District and which wasn't. Shame on you :lol: :lol:
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby CPFC fan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:47 pm

Decent away draw for you lot? Man City we’re just too good for us to be honest!
CPFC fan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:36 pm

A few old programmes from Stags v Crystal Palace

Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:35 pm

I know Dan Westwell has some very nice pictures relating to Crystal Palace ‘supporters’
part time pete

Postby part time pete » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:53 pm

Any idea how the Crystal Palace family got on last night.
part time pete

Postby CPFC fan » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:44 pm

Evening all.
Quick report from the Palace family on tour. Despite the result (we all thought you were robbed!) we had a great evening with Mansfield Town.
Got the family deal in advance and were well impressed with your whole set up. The family stand is great and we had seats right at the back so a really good view. Your family room is a really cool idea, our lot were a bit old for it but so good that there’s somewhere for your young fans to hang out, esp the sensory stuff.
Met Danielle who really helped us out, so many thanks to her.
Our youngest made a beeline for the club shop and insisted on a scarf that he wore for the match.
Sorry we didn’t bring you any luck but we were so pleased to have seen a stags goal and were trying to suck the ball in towards the end of the game!
I thought there was some really decent football on display but as a neutral I reckon you’re crying out for a clinical goal scorer as you had loads of chances but seemed impossible to get the ball in.
Salford scored a couple of annoying, jammy goals and you really deserved at least a draw.
I’m going to insist Palace start selling mushy peas and mint sauce by the way!
All in all we had a really good night out at your place and was well impressed with the great atmosphere. I was amazed when they announced the crowd and it was only 4000, sounded like a lot more.
Anyway, thanks for your friendly advice and good luck for the rest of the season. I’ll def be keeping at eye on your results. Will/CPFC fan
CPFC fan
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:47 pm

excellent. Glad you enjoyed it and hope you can come and watch us again. Thanks for letting us know how it went as well.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum