{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

videos: Oldham game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: videos: Oldham game

Postby Spiritater » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:25 am

Conker wrote:It’s pretty simple if there’s a head injury you stop play, I do understand why it was not spotted but going off the rules I’m pretty sure that should have not stood.

Don’t worry even without those two goals it was still 4-1 :)

rubbish.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:40 am

Am I wrong then? You don’t have to stop play for a head injury immediately? genuine question because I always thought it did mean that.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:57 am

Conker wrote:Am I wrong then? You don’t have to stop play for a head injury immediately? genuine question because I always thought it did mean that.

You have to stop play as soon as you are aware a head injury has occurred. If the ref isn't aware he can't call it.

The incident looked totally innocuous in real time & by the time the ref realised there was a proplem the ball was in the back of the net. So he stopped play as soon as he could.

How many times do you see a player get easily muscled off the ball then feign inhury to try to win a foul or cover their own embarrassment.

I've watched thousands of games in my lifetime, live & on TV and I honestly don't think I've ever seen a player get concussion from a shoulder to shoulder challenge like that. If you watch it back it's really weird how he doesn't get a hand up to break his fall.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby PRL13 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:03 am

I dont know how/why he didn`t put his hands out?!!? I once landed on my nose,, blocking a shot on tarmac, but I was 42 and had no left hip joint!
PRL13
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:07 am

We were absolutely level with the incident in IGU and only had two thoughts....when it happened the immediate reaction was for a red card for bringing down Nicky then immediately NM was up and off and you were watching what happened and then the goal ...it was only as the players were celebrating that you realised something was wrong when one of the responders crossed his arms and everyone rushed out. It was so innocuous at the time that you never gave it a second thought.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:57 am

Sneag wrote:
Conker wrote:Am I wrong then? You don’t have to stop play for a head injury immediately? genuine question because I always thought it did mean that.

You have to stop play as soon as you are aware a head injury has occurred. If the ref isn't aware he can't call it.

The incident looked totally innocuous in real time & by the time the ref realised there was a proplem the ball was in the back of the net. So he stopped play as soon as he could.

How many times do you see a player get easily muscled off the ball then feign inhury to try to win a foul or cover their own embarrassment.

I've watched thousands of games in my lifetime, live & on TV and I honestly don't think I've ever seen a player get concussion from a shoulder to shoulder challenge like that. If you watch it back it's really weird how he doesn't get a hand up to break his fall.

I think Conker is saying that had it been seen, play would've been needed to have been stopped, so strictly speaking, the goal shouldn't have stood.

It's like saying there was an offside that the referee wasn't aware of and therefore can't call it, so the goal stood but it shouldn't have done.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:02 am

If the officials can miss the head injury to Rose in the England game on Friday and allow play to continue to the goal, I think we can forgive the ref on Saturday. That was much more obvious and led directly to them having the extra man to get the cross in.

At the end of the day it's a judgement call for the ref and some they get right, others are wrong and occasionally it isn't clear.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:15 am

PRL13 wrote:I dont know how/why he didn`t put his hands out?!!? I once landed on my nose,, blocking a shot on tarmac, but I was 42 and had no left hip joint!

I busted my nose once through not getting a hand out, but I was 16 & horrificly drunk. It didn't even hurt at the time. Next morning I looled like I'd been hit with a shovel (a look I've kept to this day).
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:52 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Conker » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:56 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Sneag wrote:

I think Conker is saying that had it been seen, play would've been needed to have been stopped, so strictly speaking, the goal shouldn't have stood.

It's like saying there was an offside that the referee wasn't aware of and therefore can't call it, so the goal stood but it shouldn't have done.

Yeah this. :D
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:12 pm

Conker wrote:It’s pretty simple if there’s a head injury you stop play, I do understand why it was not spotted but going off the rules I’m pretty sure that should have not stood.

so what do the rules say? If in the run up to a goal being scored a head injury is sustained by any player on the pitch said goal should be chalked off?

If so t'would open a can of worms. Some players may think, 'oooh that chuffer's proper done me here, he looks like he's gonna stick it in t'net n all. I know, I'll fall on the floor holding my head and if he scores the ref's no option but to disallow it.'

call me cynical.

said player then by some miracle recovers and spends the rest of the game chucklin to himself
Last edited by Spiritater on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 pm

Spiritater wrote:

so what do the rules say? If in the run up to a goal being scored a head injury is sustained by any player on the pitch said goal should be chalked off?

If so t'would open a can of worms. Some players may think, 'oooh that chuffer's proper done me here, he looks like he's gonna stick it in t'net n all. I know, I'll fall on the floor holding my head and if he scores the ref's no option but to disallow it.'

call me cynical.

said player then by some miracle recovers and spends the of the game chucklin to himself

Agree,even if p layer went down with knee injury they would hold their head.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:29 am

Spiritater wrote:

call me cynical.

said player then by some miracle recovers and spends the rest of the game chucklin to himself

Get ya point but he was down with a genuine and potentially serious head injury so really if spotted play would have been stopped, yeah? Because that’s all I’m saying, dunno what can you even debate with that, unless you think (which I highly doubt) play should be carried on because we stood a good chance at scoring.

Anyway thankfully Pearce helped and he’s going to be okay.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:30 pm

i see where you're coming from, but as others have said it was but 6 secs from Fage face planting to dapo baggin. no doubt all in the stadium were following the action and rightly didnt expect a concussion to happen to t'lad, especially on a heavily watered autumn pitch
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Spiritater wrote:

call me cynical.

Daniel James played 'dead' for Wales in the week. Got the game stopped at a crucial time and has since been found to have no trace of concussion.

Giggs said he was 'street smart'.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:46 am

Sneag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

call me cynical.

Daniel James played 'dead' for Wales in the week. Got the game stopped at a crucial time and has since been found to have no trace of concussion.

Giggs said he was 'street smart'.

They should play on but allow the medical teams onto the pitch like they do (or used to do) in Rugby League. The game can be stopped when the ball is out of play or back in a midfield area.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum