{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:17 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.


please don’t take me for a FlipFlop lover, agree 100% with JR, he failed however the squad was/is so close to a promotion team it just required a quality experienced manager to come in, that’s the bit i’m frustrated with youth, so close and we go and appoint a rookie within seconds of sacking him, absolutely the wrong call, that’s what’s so bloody frustrating
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9314
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:20 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.


please don’t take me for a FlipFlop lover, agree 100% with JR, he failed however the squad was/is so close to a promotion team it just required a quality experienced manager to come in, that’s the bit i’m frustrated with youth, so close and we go and appoint a rookie within seconds of sacking him, absolutely the wrong call, that’s what’s so bloody frustrating


Completely agree
Cleveland_Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:34 pm

CR 1 JR 0.

Awful decision to sack DF and replace him with JD.

I'm sure JR has made some great decisions when appointing key staff to work in his businesses , but not so good when appointing football team managers.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5873
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:38 am

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Conker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:44 pm

JR logic DF that raspberried up promotion is fine, and the view they gave him everything (hundreds of thousands in unnecessary hotel expenses) Greg Abbott etc is also sound and was likely the correct decision.

The real problem is hiring Dempster instead of letting him have a go at coaching/assistant the first team firstly.

How many managers has JR got wrong? Every one bar Paul Cox.
Conker
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2765
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby MTFCMAD » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:47 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.


please don’t take me for a FlipFlop lover, agree 100% with JR, he failed however the squad was/is so close to a promotion team it just required a quality experienced manager to come in, that’s the bit i’m frustrated with youth, so close and we go and appoint a rookie within seconds of sacking him, absolutely the wrong call, that’s what’s so bloody frustrating


That i can agree with.

But whilst JD's here i will support him fully untill he is no longer here.

Im surprised he survived after Cambridge but im also hoping that seeing as the board have shown faith in him that he can turn it around and in the long run we all look back and think thank god we kept him.

Its not JD's fault he been appointed afterall and hes only trying his best. if you have any greivences you want to air it has to be at the board but bear in mind the boards done alot more good than bad since they took charge and deserve the fans support and backing untill a decision is made IMO.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:53 pm

& that’s the point isn’t it, this is the first time since JR came in that the fans disagree with the board, either they see something we don’t or they are happy with what they see !

the only thing fans will do is vote with their feet i guess, oh well we move on to Sat

up the Stags
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9314
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby DogsDoDahs » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:03 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.


please don’t take me for a FlipFlop lover, agree 100% with JR, he failed however the squad was/is so close to a promotion team it just required a quality experienced manager to come in, that’s the bit i’m frustrated with youth, so close and we go and appoint a rookie within seconds of sacking him, absolutely the wrong call, that’s what’s so bloody frustrating


Completely agree with most of that Yorkie but maybe the last 12 games of last season under DF was the fault of the players mindset not that of DF. If the players mindset is the same for the first 12 games under JD its no surprise that we are down the bottom end of the league but thats not necessarily JD fault either . Just maybe thats why DB is at the club to help change the losing mindset into a more positive winning one with same players who had gone stale. The DB effect may be the start of a better results at 4.50 on a Saturday. Thats why he has to be given more time if the mindset has changed in the players. It can be a slow process, sometimes it clicks straight away. If results have not got better over the next six games consider a change at the helm but even then it could still be the players who are under achieving. A change at the helm could then make it worse and its been as bad as it gets buts I have seen it getting better in recent games IMO
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Jamie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:18 pm

Players are players. They respond to management and coaches. A good player can have a dip in form, but when its a whole team you have to look at other things. DF did something or something happened that turned the tide for us last season. The real failure here is JR not recognising this and then appointing a rookie and expecting him to fix it. We needed an experienced manager, a motivator, someone who could make them believe again and get everyone going. A rookie can do that, but this one hasn't... If JD can do that going forward, now with the help of DB, then great fine, but as you say it might take weeks or months to sort out... If that is the case, they need to stop banging on about a promotion and give him a proper chance to build a team. Expecting a rookie to turn round a bad situation like this is unfair.

Its was a bad, poorly judged and timed appointment, and one that can really only end in failure baring some kind of massive change in form. If they had taken the pressure right off, stopped going on about promotion, maybe he'd have had a better time of it so far, but that isn't the case. The owners are saying things there actions aren't matching.
Jamie
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4840
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:42 am
Location: Mansfield

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:07 pm

Posters keep going on about this promotion quality team that JD inherited but I'd like to know where it is. We certainly haven't had one since February and it was in fact a relegation quality team based on results for the last 3/4 months of last season. Yes that quality has continued into this season but there have been many more reasons for that to be so.

I can't understand why some posters just want to dwell on negatives instead of encouraging the team and getting behind them.

If we are not careful Field Mill will have an atmosphere almost as toxic as it was during the last relegation season and if it does descend to those levels we could return to the pit.

Mr Dempster is not going to be sacked in the near future so just get used to that fact. Some of you are starting to sound like County and Luton fans and think we have a Devine right to go all of the way to the premiershi.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby bigalstag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:40 pm

At nearly £26 a throw, some of us would just like some football to be played, rather than the rubbish being dished up at the moment. It was possible to do it last season, so why not this?. Its almost the identical team, supposedly strengthened. How do the board expect to keep support up , at our admission costs, when what you are watching is so poor, every week.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 728
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Sandy as stated above, the owners have again set the bar for promotion, their words no mine

That’s std required, it’s far far from that so what do expect the fans to think?

these are the words of both the chairman & CEO & still is after reading her Chad blog thing
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9314
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:11 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:Sandy as stated above, the owners have again set the bar for promotion, their words no mine

That’s std required, it’s far far from that so what do expect the fans to think?

these are the words of both the chairman & CEO & still is after reading her Chad blog thing


Yes Yorky they have. Just like they did last year but we were still let down from County away onwards. That performance was as bad as anything I've seen this season and it didn't get much better apart from the odd game.

So I will repeat, Mr Dempster didn't inherit a team who were playing football of a quality to gain promotion. DF was correctly sacked and we all need to pull together to try and get the team going again. A toxic atmosphere at home will only defeat that objective so pick your bottom lips up and let's show the world what being from Mansfield really means and get moving in the right direction together not going backwards being divided.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2407
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:15 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.


please don’t take me for a FlipFlop lover, agree 100% with JR, he failed however the squad was/is so close to a promotion team it just required a quality experienced manager to come in, that’s the bit i’m frustrated with youth, so close and we go and appoint a rookie within seconds of sacking him, absolutely the wrong call, that’s what’s so bloody frustrating


We needed an experienced manager instead of DF?? Who would you suggest

Flitcroft is a very good experienced manager at our level and has promotion experience. Absolutely wrong decision to get rid. Needed time to fully build his squad. That first season after events left can't count.. idiotic to suggest he failed twice.

One more season without all of Evans deadwood flitcroft had sat in the stands and that saved money towards proper players he wanted and we would of been top of the league imo
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Bristol

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby The One » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.


please don’t take me for a FlipFlop lover, agree 100% with JR, he failed however the squad was/is so close to a promotion team it just required a quality experienced manager to come in, that’s the bit i’m frustrated with youth, so close and we go and appoint a rookie within seconds of sacking him, absolutely the wrong call, that’s what’s so bloody frustrating


We needed an experienced manager instead of DF?? Who would you suggest

Flitcroft is a very good experienced manager at our level and has promotion experience. Absolutely wrong decision to get rid. Needed time to fully build his squad. That first season after events left can't count.. idiotic to suggest he failed twice.

One more season without all of Evans deadwood flitcroft had sat in the stands and that saved money towards proper players he wanted and we would of been top of the league imo


Agree with you there except for other managers available, some good managers were, inc Lowe
The One
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10542
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Sneag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:45 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.


please don’t take me for a FlipFlop lover, agree 100% with JR, he failed however the squad was/is so close to a promotion team it just required a quality experienced manager to come in, that’s the bit i’m frustrated with youth, so close and we go and appoint a rookie within seconds of sacking him, absolutely the wrong call, that’s what’s so bloody frustrating


We needed an experienced manager instead of DF?? Who would you suggest

Flitcroft is a very good experienced manager at our level and has promotion experience. Absolutely wrong decision to get rid. Needed time to fully build his squad. That first season after events left can't count.. idiotic to suggest he failed twice.

One more season without all of Evans deadwood flitcroft had sat in the stands and that saved money towards proper players he wanted and we would of been top of the league imo


Just out of curiosity, if DF had got promoted with Evan's squad, would you give the credit for that success to Evans or Flitcroft.
Logic is lost in your cranial abatoir,
Shallow empty inside,
Sly witted and full of snide.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8111
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:41 pm
Location: King Solomon he never lived `round here

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:14 pm

In the event that we limp along with Dempster to the end of the season, and provided we dont get relegated, will Dempster be sacked? Let's be realistic, we aren't going up so he will have failed, more spectacularly than Flitcroft.

Will Steve Hymas want him sacked for not playing enough youth players?

Or will it be different rules and a different barometer for 'success' altogether?

Get him gone, give someone who knows what their doing time to acclimatise and start again next season. It's best we can hope for.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:23 pm

Is it just me or does it feel like Carolyn's missive to the masses hasn't quelled the dissatisfaction felt by the fans lol
Chrisuknottm
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:43 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:In the event that we limp along with Dempster to the end of the season, and provided we dont get relegated, will Dempster be sacked? Let's be realistic, we aren't going up so he will have failed, more spectacularly than Flitcroft.

Will Steve Hymas want him sacked for not playing enough youth players?

Or will it be different rules and a different barometer for 'success' altogether?

Get him gone, give someone who knows what their doing time to acclimatise and start again next season. It's best we can hope for.


Agree with all of this. The Radford’s and the board thinking that Dempster can still lead us to a top 3 finish is pure delusion. With promotion clearly being the target again, when we don’t achieve that come May (and come nowhere close unlike last season), surely Dempster would then be sacked? He’s a dead man walking. It’s a waste of time and money having Dempster in charge of this expensive squad.
Cleveland_Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:12 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:56 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:In the event that we limp along with Dempster to the end of the season, and provided we dont get relegated, will Dempster be sacked? Let's be realistic, we aren't going up so he will have failed, more spectacularly than Flitcroft.

Will Steve Hymas want him sacked for not playing enough youth players?

Or will it be different rules and a different barometer for 'success' altogether?

Get him gone, give someone who knows what their doing time to acclimatise and start again next season. It's best we can hope for.


Agree with all of this. The Radford’s and the board thinking that Dempster can still lead us to a top 3 finish is pure delusion. With promotion clearly being the target again, when we don’t achieve that come May (and come nowhere close unlike last season), surely Dempster would then be sacked? He’s a dead man walking. It’s a waste of time and money having Dempster in charge of this expensive squad.


I believe that, you believe that, several others choose to believe that, but Carolyn rightly pointed out that there are still 102 points to play for, and while it's still possible, there is a chance we can make it. This perhaps means that until it is a mathematical certainty, they will carry on with Dempster.

For me, this season has proved that Dempster isn't up to it, and we should now be giving this time to a more suitable, qualified, experienced manager so he will know who he wants to keep and bring in next summer, giving us the best opportunity for next season.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
User avatar
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3915
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:03 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Sneag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.


please don’t take me for a FlipFlop lover, agree 100% with JR, he failed however the squad was/is so close to a promotion team it just required a quality experienced manager to come in, that’s the bit i’m frustrated with youth, so close and we go and appoint a rookie within seconds of sacking him, absolutely the wrong call, that’s what’s so bloody frustrating


We needed an experienced manager instead of DF?? Who would you suggest

Flitcroft is a very good experienced manager at our level and has promotion experience. Absolutely wrong decision to get rid. Needed time to fully build his squad. That first season after events left can't count.. idiotic to suggest he failed twice.

One more season without all of Evans deadwood flitcroft had sat in the stands and that saved money towards proper players he wanted and we would of been top of the league imo


Just out of curiosity, if DF had got promoted with Evan's squad, would you give the credit for that success to Evans or Flitcroft.


It wasn't Evans squad was it, you are just reinventing history now. In fact, it was the players DF didn't want that Evans signed that hamstrung us - we were only clear of them this summer. We know you hated DF, we know you wanted him sacked after a couple of months, but you are just making stuff up to try and fit your argument. Now the DF out brigade are saying "it was the right decision to remove DF but we appointed the wrong man" when most of us at the time said no matter who you appoint a new manager will need time to build his own squad, his own style his own identity.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Sneag » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:39 am

Rob wrote:
Sneag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMAD wrote:Yorkie....sorry to disappoint you but that that free flowing football and rock solid defence went AWOL in february.


please don’t take me for a FlipFlop lover, agree 100% with JR, he failed however the squad was/is so close to a promotion team it just required a quality experienced manager to come in, that’s the bit i’m frustrated with youth, so close and we go and appoint a rookie within seconds of sacking him, absolutely the wrong call, that’s what’s so bloody frustrating


We needed an experienced manager instead of DF?? Who would you suggest

Flitcroft is a very good experienced manager at our level and has promotion experience. Absolutely wrong decision to get rid. Needed time to fully build his squad. That first season after events left can't count.. idiotic to suggest he failed twice.

One more season without all of Evans deadwood flitcroft had sat in the stands and that saved money towards proper players he wanted and we would of been top of the league imo


Just out of curiosity, if DF had got promoted with Evan's squad, would you give the credit for that success to Evans or Flitcroft.


It wasn't Evans squad was it, you are just reinventing history now. In fact, it was the players DF didn't want that Evans signed that hamstrung us - we were only clear of them this summer. We know you hated DF, we know you wanted him sacked after a couple of months, but you are just making stuff up to try and fit your argument. Now the DF out brigade are saying "it was the right decision to remove DF but we appointed the wrong man" when most of us at the time said no matter who you appoint a new manager will need time to build his own squad, his own style his own identity.


Okay then by that logic, had they not raspberried up, would it have been Murray's success?

You can't have it both ways. If a manager can't take the blame for the duds signed by a previous manager, they can't take credit for the good ones signed either.

Flitcroft, talked crap & failed to keep a side that was efficient if unspectacular and was in reasonable form, to just keep doing what they had been doing.

The following year, the owners pandered to his every whim & he raspberried up again with all his own toys. There may have been some Evans duds in the building, but they never got near the first 11.

It's worth remembering too the DFs only success as a manager, came at a club that had a spending model that took them to oblivion.
Logic is lost in your cranial abatoir,
Shallow empty inside,
Sly witted and full of snide.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8111
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:41 pm
Location: King Solomon he never lived `round here

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Bradders » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:10 am

Sneag wrote:
It's worth remembering too the DFs only success as a manager, came at a club that had a spending model that took them to oblivion.

At the time that Flitcroft took over, the side wasn't full of duds (as people like to make out). They were on target for promotion and just needed helping over the line. It hardly seemed possible for them to not even make the playoffs. They'd just had a run of five wins and a draw in seven matches, and there was nothing to indicate that a sudden loss of form was on the cards. But then Flitcroft took over to finish the job, and we drew three and lost four in the next seven games. Calling them "duds" infers that they were rubbish all the time, when in fact Flitcroft turned them from winners to duds, and Evans had nothing to do with that.
User avatar
Bradders
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Rob » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:41 am

Sneag wrote:Okay then by that logic, had they not raspberried up, would it have been Murray's success?

You can't have it both ways. If a manager can't take the blame for the duds signed by a previous manager, they can't take credit for the good ones signed either.

Flitcroft, talked crap & failed to keep a side that was efficient if unspectacular and was in reasonable form, to just keep doing what they had been doing.

The following year, the owners pandered to his every whim & he raspberried up again with all his own toys. There may have been some Evans duds in the building, but they never got near the first 11.

It's worth remembering too the DFs only success as a manager, came at a club that had a spending model that took them to oblivion.


I would have given Murray credit for the players he signed, as I have many times. Shame is that he was such a negative manager, bizarre when you consider his playing style.

When he took over from Evans we embarked on a run of very tough games, it was always going to be hard to maintain our 4th position, however, it is right he was criticised for not maintaining a play-off place and I too criticised him at the time but did not go full on mental and demand he be sacked after 12 games in charge. The following year our wage budget remained high but again we had some highly paid players contributing nothing. I do not think he did a great job last season and do think he should have been able to keep us in the top three, I would equally criticise the players the same way. But for the same reason I do not think we needed to sack all the players, we didn't need to sack the manager and should have given him a summer to strengthen. I am certain we'd be in a better place than we are now had we done so and I suspect you would probably agree with that.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:45 am

According to today's Daily Express Adam Murray was "hailed as one of England's brightest young managers due to the success he achieved with Mansfield "...
Chrisuknottm
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Sedgwick » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:02 am

Murray was negative because he didn't have squad good enough to play how he wanted them to. Radford should of given him the budget to build something. He started off really well and should have been backed after a bright start but never was.

The players he scouted and picked were great finds...benning, Pearce, Rhys Bennett, Thomas, CJ, Blair.... the other players he needed to add to the likes of this lot etc he couldn't afford and had to opt for the players like westcarr and Nicky hunt, Beardsley, chapman etc.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1768
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Bristol

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: awalkinthepark, BH_Stag, Bros, Dadslad, gazza1988, groundhoppingstag, James, Jamie, julianshatnasty, Martin Shaw, Paulstag, Sandy Pate Best Stag, Son Of Sherwood, sw19stag, Walton Stag and 48 guests