{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Chadman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:34 am

Carolyn has written a lively first monthly column for the Chad which will go online at www.chad.co.uk at 10am today.
Chadman
First Team
First Team

Re: Carolyn Radford column for the Chad

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:33 am

A very open and honest account from Carolyn about the dismissal of David Flitcroft. She wanted to keep him as manager which was clear from her posts on social media but John Radford and the other directors disagreed as David Flitcroft had blown promotion two seasons running.

She also confirms that the Stags have a Top 3 playing budget.

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2019 ... ly-column/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Chadman » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:50 am

Chadman
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:56 am

All I can say from that piece is;

If Flitcroft failed and came 4th and earned himself the sack, will JD be sacked for not getting promotion?

Moreover, if we finish below 4th JD will have taken us backwards, at lease DF offered us year on year improvement.

I don't really know what the aim of the article is. If it's to show unconditional support for JD, it doesn't.

There is often the use of this term 'turning point', which I find interesting, as it indicates that up until that point, things hadn't been good enough. Now Carolyn is using it. To me it indicates an admission of failure up to that point. They're publicly pinning their hopes of promotion, this season, on a sprint finish.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:All I can say from that piece is;

If Flitcroft failed and came 4th and earned himself the sack, will JD be sacked for not getting promotion?

Moreover, if we finish below 4th JD will have taken us backwards, at lease DF offered us year on year improvement.

I don't really know what the aim of the article is. If it's to show unconditional support for JD, it doesn't.

There is often the use of this term 'turning point', which I find interesting, as it indicates that up until that point, things hadn't been good enough. Now Carolyn is using it. To me it indicates an admission of failure up to that point. They're publicly pinning their hopes of promotion, this season, on a sprint finish.

I'm glad you replied first AWC as I'd typed 4 posts and deleted them all. I was going to thank TTF for commenting on the best parts because, honestly, what's the rest about. To my mind it's saying that as a Board we unanimously made the decision to appoint JD because he was part of the promotion team and had managed kids for 4 years and he deserved the chance... that's ok then !!! Excellent credentials to take us to promotion. And in the meantime please stop being naughty boys and girls and come to Field Mill on Saturday and forget about 3 wins in 13 league games...two defeats in the Mickey Mouse cup...first round defeat at home to Morecambe in the League Cup...catastrophic home displays against Orient and Cambridge...no shape, substance, style or direction in the team...... no strengthening in midfield...... falling home attendances .....jeez I'd better stop there.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:17 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:

I'm glad you replied first AWC as I'd typed 4 posts and deleted them all. I was going to thank TTF for commenting on the best parts because, honestly, what's the rest about. To my mind it's saying that as a Board we unanimously made the decision to appoint JD because he was part of the promotion team and had managed kids for 4 years and he deserved the chance... that's ok then !!! Excellent credentials to take us to promotion. And in the meantime please stop being naughty boys and girls and come to Field Mill on Saturday and forget about 3 wins in 13 league games...two defeats in the Mickey Mouse cup...first round defeat at home to Morecambe in the League Cup...catastrophic home displays against Orient and Cambridge...no shape, substance, style or direction in the team...... no strengthening in midfield...... falling home attendances .....jeez I'd better stop there.

No but we've reached a turning point, haven't you read the article.

Turning point: The new 'srtong and stable'
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:22 am

A turning point can only be called a turning point once it has actually been proved to be a turning point. At the moment calling one result a turning point with no evidence that is a turning point is called clutching at straws.

You would also have to question the assertion that Mr Radford has an ability for appointing the right people in the right positions, because his record of appointing managers so far doesn’t suggest that.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:26 am

Some of you lot are miserable, negative raspberries aren’t you.

It’s a good article and calling for unity, not for someone to sit at a game and moan about something.

Either you sit and be miserable and moan at others for being positive.

Or the management and team look at the Grimsby game and build the belief that something could happen. Success breeds success.
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:48 am

No one has been negative. They are all very valid opinions backed up by reason, regarding the use of 'turning point', the facts that ChrisukNottm states about the current situation, and the point that MTFCMusings makes about Radford being able to appoint the right person to the right position.

We are not 'being negative', just commenting on a negative situation. You can not blame the club's situation on the attitude of some fans.

The article tries to spin a positive, where frankly, the sum of the positive is an away win. It's a call for unity which is commendable but to believe it will all come good if we stick together and support the lads is idealistic and unrealistic.

One thing an article like this does do is it lets us know that the fans discontent is being heard at board room level.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:09 pm

Sorry to say, she is beginning to pee me off with all here, "hey look at me" stuff.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:

As a matter of fact we do not have two defeats in the Mickey Mouse cup. We have two points for two draws with no added points because of losing two penalty shootouts to Everton U21s and Crewe. I point this out because its a positive draw not a negative defeat as we didnt lose either game or we would have no points at all, in 180 mins of football we have not lost.I am not misrepresenting the facts, I am trying to be positive and hope that a corner has been turned because it has not been good enough. On the Codheads scorefred I predicted the away win at Grimsby albeit i predicted 1-2. I will predict a home victory against Oldham. Whilst I am supportive of JD it was a massive risk to appoint him. It was 100 million% the right decision by the board to sack the failure of Floppy for what should have been two nailed on promotions. I do not think the current team is good enough to get out of league two under any manager. Three quarters of the current squad will not be here next season IMO. Who ever is running the club next season has a massive rebuilding project which will be no more expensive than the previous two failed attempts under so called proven managers. I hope we bring the younger players at the club nearer the first team next season. By this I mean Stone Clarke Gordon Gibbo Smith Sinclair and Jimmy, maybe not all in the same team at same time. I am fully behind the Radfords being positive but honestly I dont think they have extensive knowledge on actual football nous on the pitch and by this I think they have been kidded by two managers about the quality of some of the signings. I hope we can hang on to players like Rose CJ Pearce Maynard and hope the management and board can find quality additions for next season as I fear the season will be not be successful. However I am staying supportive and positive we can get into league one sooner rather than later
:coys:
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby James » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:33 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

As a matter of fact we do not have two defeats in the Mickey Mouse cup. We have two points for two draws with no added points because of losing two penalty shootouts to Everton U21s and Crewe. I point this out because its a positive draw not a negative defeat as we didnt lose either game or we would have no points at all, in 180 mins of football we have not lost.I am not misrepresenting the facts, I am trying to be positive and hope that a corner has been turned because it has not been good enough. On the Codheads scorefred I predicted the away win at Grimsby albeit i predicted 1-2. I will predict a home victory against Oldham. Whilst I am supportive of JD it was a massive risk to appoint him. It was 100 million% the right decision by the board to sack the failure of Floppy for what should have been two nailed on promotions. I do not think the current team is good enough to get out of league two under any manager. Three quarters of the current squad will not be here next season IMO. Who ever is running the club next season has a massive rebuilding project which will be no more expensive than the previous two failed attempts under so called proven managers. I hope we bring the younger players at the club nearer the first team next season. By this I mean Stone Clarke Gordon Gibbo Smith Sinclair and Jimmy, maybe not all in the same team at same time. I am fully behind the Radfords being positive but honestly I dont think they have extensive knowledge on actual football nous on the pitch and by this I think they have been kidded by two managers about the quality of some of the signings. I hope we can hang on to players like Rose CJ Pearce Maynard and hope the management and board can find quality additions for next season as I fear the season will be not be successful. However I am staying supportive and positive we can get into league one sooner rather than later
:coys:

Thanks Steve.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:53 pm

We keep on turning that corner dont we?

Honestly its like listening to a party Political Broadcast
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DogsDoDahs » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:We keep on turning that corner dont we?

Honestly its like listening to a party Political Broadcast

Yes. Irony
DogsDoDahs
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:52 pm

There's some odd stuff in the column.

Is she really bragging about appointing Adam Murray? She's talking as if he's been a really successful football league manager. In reality, his managerial career so far has been a bit of a disaster.

She says "We have a top 3 budget and by the end of the season, we expect to be in the top 3". Does she, John and the rest of the board really EXPECT that John Dempster will have us in the top 3 at the end of the season? If they really think he's capable of achieving this after all that we've seen so far this season then they are deluded. The football we play is frankly awful and totally not conducive towards the aim of getting promoted. Teams don't get promoted playing the negative football that we play. Dempster has shown nothing to show that he can turn this around, and pinning our 'top 3 expectation' on him is laughable.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:01 pm

The players are obviously aware that JD is walking a tightrope and, if they’re behind him, they’ll show us more of the determination (grit) witnessed at Grimsby last weekend. Let’s see what happens against Oldham.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:13 pm

There's some odd stuff in the column.

Is she really bragging about appointing Adam Murray? She's talking as if he's been a really successful football league manager. In reality, his managerial career so far has been a bit of a disaster.

She says "We have a top 3 budget and by the end of the season, we expect to be in the top 3". Does she, John and the rest of the board really EXPECT that John Dempster will have us in the top 3 at the end of the season? If they really think he's capable of achieving this after all that we've seen so far this season then they are deluded. The football we play is frankly awful and totally not conducive towards the aim of getting promoted. Teams don't get promoted playing the negative football that we play. Dempster has shown nothing to show that he can turn this around, and pinning our 'top 3 expectation' on him is laughable.

This
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bigalstag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Don't see many promotions won by grit. Usually leadership , ability and results, which we seem to have in short supply.
And all you can take from that column, is that the Radfords, are being fed the news that they want to hear, by the people who have a vested interest in the manager succeeding.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby oldweststander » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:36 pm

Bigalstag, who could you possibly be referring too?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:04 pm

Not so much an article as a photo opportunity!!!
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:54 pm

five to three wrote:Not so much an article as a photo opportunity!!!

Isn't it always? ;)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:12 am

Moan all you want however without her & John we probably wouldn’t have a league football club, they have backed us from day one & most clubs at our level could only dream of the backing we get, however this refusal to except this managerial appointment isn’t working and right off the season when they have invested so heavily again is truly baffling.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:50 am

yorkshire stag wrote:Moan all you want however without her & John we probably wouldn’t have a league football club, they have backed us from day one & most clubs at our level could only dream of the backing we get, however this refusal to except this managerial appointment isn’t working and right off the season when they have invested so heavily again is truly baffling.

Sorry Yorky but are you suggesting we should give up and take our foot off the pedal thus writing this season off and giving in?

I learned a lesson in life at the age of ten when taking part in a swimming championship. With a full half a length to go, I thought I was miles behind and gave up coasting to the end of the race. In reality I only lost by a fingertip despite giving in. That taught me that it isn't over until it's over and Dempster and the boys should just get their heads down and keep trying.

To write the season off at this point is a losers mentality and would be inexcusable. You can't just turn momentum on and off, it has to be built and maintained or you just lose your way. Just get behind them and help to push them along.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:09 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:Moan all you want however without her & John we probably wouldn’t have a league football club, they have backed us from day one & most clubs at our level could only dream of the backing we get, however this refusal to except this managerial appointment isn’t working and right off the season when they have invested so heavily again is truly baffling.

Sorry Yorky but are you suggesting we should give up and take our foot off the pedal thus writing this season off and giving in?

I learned a lesson in life at the age of ten when taking part in a swimming championship. With a full half a length to go, I thought I was miles behind and gave up coasting to the end of the race. In reality I only lost by a fingertip despite giving in. That taught me that it isn't over until it's over and Dempster and the boys should just get their heads down and keep trying.

To write the season off at this point is a losers mentality and would be inexcusable. You can't just turn momentum on and off, it has to be built and maintained or you just lose your way. Just get behind them and help to push them along.

I think you have misunderstood Yorky's comment. If I've read it right he is saying that a refusal by the board and owners to accept they have made a poor and wrong managerial appointment of John Dempster is effectively writing off the season as Yorky, like many of us, do not believe it is possible under JDs leadership.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:18 am

100% spot on chris, i’m at a loss as to their stance & blind loyalty v JRs extremely high stds, either i’m missing something or we are a slow train crashing here.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum