{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

59 Corners and We Ain't Scored One

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: 57 Corners and We Ain't Scored One

Postby CassellsCap » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Would love a Luke Jones or Dave Artel now. When they stood on the edge of the box from a corner you just knew they’d get a head on it.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:18 pm

I'd say 0 out of 57 for league games is well below average Pete :lol:

If you include goals from cleared corners then you could count Matt Preston's goal against Scunthorpe.

xG ratings for corners seem to vary.

In 2016-2017 13.9% of goals in the Premier League came from corners with most goals being scored from the inswinging corner to the near post. The % of corners leading to goals was 3.6%

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how- ... -cb953snrq
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:20 pm

Can't get past the first man? Put it either side of him.

Only finding a goalkeeper that has a height advantage die to being able to use his arms? Don't put the ball near him.

Over hitting the corner and clearing everyone? Don't hit it as hard or put someone out there.

Simple surely? Or is it just me?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:02 pm

As stated above goals from corners are not that common relative to corners taken even if they make up 10-15% of all goals scored.
So far this season in L2 only four teams have scored 3 times from corners with Northampton being most successful ( only 48 corners for their 3 goals)
Incidentally statbunker reckons we have 1 goal from corners this season.
If I was the manager I would be more concerned about the quality of our shots/ shot selection. We have had the 5th most shots in our division but are only 13th of those on target and 14th in the goals scored column.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks for that Halifax. Good info.

Statbunker are probably counting Matt Preston's goal that was scored from CJ's Hamilton's cross after the corner was cleared.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:16 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Can't get past the first man? Put it either side of him.

Only finding a goalkeeper that has a height advantage die to being able to use his arms? Don't put the ball near him.

Over hitting the corner and clearing everyone? Don't hit it as hard or put someone out there.

Simple surely? Or is it just me?

Port Vale put the ball near our goalie and look what happened, you defended him though?? ;)
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby weststander » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:28 pm

DogsDoDahs wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
adamstag wrote:The corners are a joke.

It's honestly like the players don't train with each other in anything - there are no ideas at all in any of our play. I mentioned on Saturday it gets to the point where we get a corner we may as well pick the ball up and roll it back to the keeper

On a side note it's refreshing to see opposition keepers coming out and collecting the ball like they should do - rather than standing on their line and allowing chaos to occur.

Well on the rare occasions we actually deliver into the box by beating the first man, it's directly at the keeper or over everybody. Also the opposition don't flood everybody back in the 6 yard box too. That helps the keeper.

I don't get why we don't deliver it near the penalty spot. Somewhere between the penalty spot and the 6 yatlrd box and have someone block the keepers path.

Gazza, I seem to recall you defending our goalkeeper last weekend when the ball came straight to him because ‘there were bodies in his way’. Plymouth keeper on Saturday had no trouble.

Yep, the Plymouth also didn't have 9 defenders and 4 or 5 attackers around him in the 6 yard box. That's the point I'm making

Also Gazza if when defending a corner we leave 3 players on the half way line, the defense have to leave 3 or 4 defenders back to cover them. This takes 6 or 7 players out of the 18 yard box making room to defend properly and for the goalkeeper to get off his line not be boxed in as per port vale. Before that corner was taken Logan pushed Pearce hard twice to get him to move away and Pearce refused to move. Also if you leave players on the half way line you at least have a chance to counter attack from a clearance rather than it coming straight back into our box unchallanged

On a couple of occasions this season, a bloke some rows in front has shouted to Dempster to leave someone up front when defending . To be followed by someone behind me telling him to shut up and stop moaning. Opinions eh?
weststander
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:32 pm

If we'd have left players on the half way line at Port Vale in the last minute Vale would've just left them. It was the last kick of the game, of course there was going to bodies in there.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:38 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:If we'd have left players on the half way line at Port Vale in the last minute Vale would've just left them. It was the last kick of the game, of course there was going to bodies in there.

Bodies in the 18 yard box? Yes. 9 in the 6 yard box? Nope. We should have just man marked the 1 to 1, not 3 to 1,
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:54 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:If we'd have left players on the half way line at Port Vale in the last minute Vale would've just left them. It was the last kick of the game, of course there was going to bodies in there.

Bodies in the 18 yard box? Yes. 9 in the 6 yard box? Nope. We should have just man marked the 1 to 1, not 3 to 1,

There wasn't nine bodies in the six yard box. You've freeze framed it, you should know. You should also be able to see a clear path in front of Logan when the ball is delivered. Freeze it on 18 seconds. But hey ho, don't let the facts get in the way.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:19 pm

Froze on 18s. Where's the "clear path"? He hasn't got a good line of sight by the looks of it either,

You are correct we didn't have 9 bodies in the 6 yard box. We has 8 bodies in the 6 yard box, the 9th player is just outside it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:40 pm

It's the frame before or after, can't see where the ball is on the frame, but Logan still has a clear path behind Sweeney, as you will see when he comes out and tried to punch the ball and completely misses it.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:17 pm

Tifo football did a video about goals from corners.

You have a higher chance of scoring if you play it short anywhere in that box between the side line and the 18 yard line then cross it Vs direct corners. No clear explanation other than the defence is set up and expecting the ball to come straight in and when you play it short it disrupts this. Also highlights that's it's most uncommon to play a corner like this in England, but other countries do it.

Personally think all as you whip a corner in, it's 50/50 if you get the ball back, you're better off trying to play it to the edge of the box then crossing into space or having a shot.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:21 pm

On youtube you can play it at 0.25. that slowed down section I put up, slowed down again, actually shows Sweeney run in front of Logan and get the slightest of touches.

Also I cant see the ball on that pic either following the video it is approximately around the stewards head that is behind the middle of the cross bar (if that makes sense)

Here's a screenshot. Seeing as you seem to like them so much. The ball is just touching the top of Sweeney's head. (Note the timestamp still says 18s)

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:27 pm

Heres one from just before that 1st screenshot. Sweeney is the play who, from the perspective of the picture has just ran past the right hand post.

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:49 pm

The point is that Logan should be standing where Sweeney is standing, before he gets a chance to run into the gap.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The point is that Logan should be standing where Sweeney is standing, before he gets a chance to run into the gap.

The point is there is players in his way. Look at the 16s screenshot. there is 1 defender and 1 attacker stood in Logan's path to that spot.

In order to do what you say he should do. Logan would need to be the other side of the 2 players and thus 4 yards off his line and allowing a striker to be goal side of him. That is not a good position for a keeper for a corner.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:11 pm

Just for info, we drew 2 2
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:12 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The point is that Logan should be standing where Sweeney is standing, before he gets a chance to run into the gap.

The point is there is players in his way. Look at the 16s screenshot. there is 1 defender and 1 attacker stood in Logan's path to that spot.

In order to do what you say he should do. Logan would need to be the other side of the 2 players and thus 4 yards off his line and allowing a striker to be goal side of him. That is not a good position for a keeper for a corner.

It would take one step to his left to be in the correct position.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:42 pm

What qualifies you to pass comment on Logan's positioning Musings?

Not having a go, just genuinely interested in goalkeeping and the level of analysis available for the position.

I disagree with you on this point, but I like to consider myself as being open to other points of view
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:47 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:What qualifies you to pass comment on Logan's positioning Musings?

Not having a go, just genuinely interested in goalkeeping and the level of analysis available for the position.

I disagree with you on this point, but I like to consider myself as being open to other points of view

Absolutely nothing mate, no qualifications at all. I have played in goal before at no great level, and had a small amount of coaching when I was at school. I remember you saying before (think it was you) that you had some experience in GK'ing when you agreed with a point I had made previously.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:49 pm

I am a GK coach, but only at grassroots level and I am becoming a bit of a saddo with the amount of analytical stuff I find myself consuming. I'm always on the lookout for decent analysis on goalkeeping, but in truth - it's few and far between.

I agree with alot of the criticisms of Logan, but think he gets some unfair criticism at times too. I often question his positioning from crosses, but I think this one was an inswinging corner? If I have remembered right then his starting position is text book (although what came next isn't!)

Gazza makes a fair point about the crowding in the box. I think Sweeney should have protected Logan better by positioning himself goal side of the attacker
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:59 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:I am a GK coach, but only at grassroots level and I am becoming a bit of a saddo with the amount of analytical stuff I find myself consuming. I'm always on the lookout for decent analysis on goalkeeping, but in truth - it's few and far between.

I agree with alot of the criticisms of Logan, but think he gets some unfair criticism at times too. I often question his positioning from crosses, but I think this one was an inswinging corner? If I have remembered right then his starting position is text book (although what came next isn't!)

Gazza makes a fair point about the crowding in the box. I think Sweeney should have protected Logan better by positioning himself goal side of the attacker

I take it you weren't at Port Vale?
It was an awful corner, a little floated chip with absolutely no pace but they'd done their homework and knew we had Drac in goal
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:06 pm

I wasn't there, but the starting position comes before the kick, so I don't think that is the issue. I agree that they must have done their homework, hence the player being stood on Logan's toes in the images above with the intention of blocking his path to the ball.

It's this that Sweeney could have help prevent - although if they are zonal marking he might be following instructions with his own positioning.

For the record, I'm not defending Logan's ability to deal with crosses, I think it is one of his biggest weaknesses and have pointed it out a few times over the last few seasons.
Last edited by kevin kents tasce on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

Postby kevin kents tasce » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:10 pm

For anyone interested in set pieces have a read of this. Brilliant analysis of Sheff United's approach

https://wherethesmokegoes.wordpress.com/2017/11/24/the-blades-sharpest-edge-a-look-at-sheffield-uniteds-17-18-set-pieces/
Everything Is Borrowed
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum