{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Manager?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Manager?

Postby daddycool » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:11 pm

Flynn from Newport would be a good fit .IMO
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby OllertonStag » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:21 pm

There's a Poll at the bottom of that article and i'm not getting into a debate as to whether it's disrespectful or not, but the title and current results are...,.

"Should Mansfield Town sack John Dempster?"
Yes 77% (162 votes)
No 23% (49 votes)
OllertonStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:26 pm

OllertonStag wrote:There's a Poll at the bottom of that article and i'm not getting into a debate as to whether it's disrespectful or not, but the title and current results are...,.

"Should Mansfield Town sack John Dempster?"
Yes 77% (162 votes)
No 23% (49 votes)

if we lose Saturday I think that'll be his last game
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:31 pm

Compared to the games he's already failed to get points from, it would be harsh to sack him on the back of a loss at Grimsby, when home losses haven't resulted in a sacking. So, I can't see this being his last game even if he loses.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Compared to the games he's already failed to get points from, it would be harsh to sack him on the back of a loss at Grimsby, when home losses haven't resulted in a sacking. So, I can't see this being his last game even if he loses.

Understand the point you're making MTFCMUSINGS but where does it stop that he isnt held accountable for his losses? Do we now say that we didn't expect to get anything from this or that game so it's OK to just meander on and keep losing. If he loses against Grimsby that will be one point from 15 and we will likely drop further in the table. It's this drift (and I know you're not advocating it) irrespective of his poor performance that is driving most people crazy.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:39 pm

I think the fact that there is such an article circulating within the football world speaks volumes from not just in and around the club
clearly a lot of people see our plight
Think a loss on Sat and its goodnight Vienna John.

I would go for Adkins if we could afford him and he is wiling to drop to a lower tier in the footy pyramid.
Last edited by tillydog123 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Home defeats carry more weight because those matches pay the bills, but this situation has to terminate somewhere and a defeat would show us with 10pts from 12 games, pure relegation form.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:49 pm

Just to confirm, I feel he should've gone after the Cambridge game, I'm just speaking from what I think will be the owners perspective. If you don't get the elbow after losing at home to bottom half teams, it's unlikely a loss at play-off contenders will do the job.

I don't know what the owners are playing at to be frank.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:53 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Just to confirm, I feel he should've gone after the Cambridge game, I'm just speaking from what I think will be the owners perspective. If you don't get the elbow after losing at home to bottom half teams, it's unlikely a loss at play-off contenders will do the job.

Totally agree with all that mate
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:07 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Just to confirm, I feel he should've gone after the Cambridge game, I'm just speaking from what I think will be the owners perspective. If you don't get the elbow after losing at home to bottom half teams, it's unlikely a loss at play-off contenders will do the job.

Spot on.

The longer this goes on more and more fingers are going to be pointing at the board.
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:41 pm

Given the programme notes I also expected Dempster to be gone after that game, he isn’t so I’ll back the lads Saturday. See what the board do after that result, feels like a dead man walking but I would be happy to be wrong.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:43 pm

He survived Cambridge at home .....he'll be here for a while yet...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:52 pm

I am just disillusioned with it all at the moment, Couldn't bring myself to listen to the mid week interview this week. The sooner he goes the sooner we can try and get our season back on track.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:53 pm

Just Like poor old Teresa May kept trying to hang on and hang on and in the end she just needed to be got rid of but the signs were there a lot earlier than when she actually went.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:58 pm

I see where you’re coming from regarding losing to bottom half teams so he won’t be gone after this, but how long can they let that go on with that mindset? (I know you think he should be gone already) Is it OK to lose against Grimsby, scrape a win against Oldham and then lose at Forest Green just because 2 of the 3 are tough places to go? Not for me! We’re playing catch up and need wins against the good sides now because of our poor record against bottom half teams we have faced.

Grimsby is a tough game and my expectations for Saturday are low, but he’s made this a ‘must win’ for himself by failing to win ‘easier’ games - he’s lucky to even get a shot at this game in my opinion. This should be a last chance saloon and anything other than 3 points and he should be removed from his position whether it’s a tough game or not.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:He survived Cambridge at home .....he'll be here for a while yet...

So what we’re saying is, because we’ve been SO poor, and Grimsby have had a decent start, Dempster somehow has a ‘free pass’ of sorts in Radfords eyes?

We’re supposed to be promotion contenders and JR has reaffirmed these are our objectives for this season (however unlikely that now seems). If we lose again Saturday and drop further behind the pack like Radford said In his last notes that we can not afford to do, then he is not practicing what he preaches if nothing is done about it.

We will be at least 10 points behind the playoffs after 12 games if we lose on Saturday - that takes a LOT of coming back from. How can that be acceptable in any way with our resource?
Last edited by BH_Stag on Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:04 pm

If we lose Sat and he is still in post Monday am then he will be staying probably another 10 games or so ~I guess.
Would need a massive turn around and would say probably 3 straight wins would be the very minimum requirement to get up near the chasing pack but u can't see that currently as possible....only mission impossible!!
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby No Breaks Allowed » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:He survived Cambridge at home .....he'll be here for a while yet...

From what I was told last night, they want to give him “ideally” until Christmas at least. Guessing if results don’t improve that could be sooner rather than later.
No Breaks Allowed
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:47 pm

You could argue that the board/chairman have no intention to spend more money and talk of a possible replacement and promotion ambitions are purely there to stop attendances from falling through the floor.

Something isn't right at the heart of the club and I have no idea what it is. Could there be a problem with other business interests which mean drastic cost cutting? I have no evidence of this but it wouldn't be the first time that has happened.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:47 pm

The players could help his predicament by starting to hit the target. They are not blameless.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:53 pm

I've openly said that I think he should be gone, and that has not changed, but I'll continue to go to games and support the team whether he is there or not. Some people have become so fixated on getting rid of him that they almost seem to want to lose in order for him to go. It's clear that the owners are backing him so it's a waste of time wishing games away waiting for a new manager.

Imagine how stupid we would look if he does actually turn it around? I'd happily be called an idiot if he does become a success because it will mean the team are doing well. It seems unlikely, but stranger things have happened.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:58 pm

I certainly hope not. After the Cambridge debacle, seen as though he wasn’t sacked when there was probably already grounds to do so, there should have been a case of “Right you need a couple of wins VERY SOON to start turning this around or you’re gone” put forward to Dempster by Radford.

Getting smashed at home to Cambridge should not mean that we can start disregarding ‘tough’ fixtures such as Grimsby away, and looking at these fixture as ones where it’s ‘okay’ to lose.

Hopefully Radford has got the sense to accept nothing but promotion form from now on. It will about take top 3 form from here on out just to reach 7th place, and thus keep Radford’s self proclaimed promotion objective alive.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:14 pm

He must know how badly he's doing. Hes not deluded he admits shortcomings in the interviews.

He must also know that the bad taste comment that clearly upset him will become more common-place the worse this gets.

At what point does he admit defeat and put the club first?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:32 pm

From what's been said this week the players are picking the team and tactics. So if we win do we sack him and leave the players in charge.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:52 pm

I guess a manager who leaves two top class strikers on the bench that would into any 2nd division team, a manager who plays players out of position, a manager who needs help from the players to say how training should go, a manager who team hasn't scored from 57 corners, and a manager who has turned us into relegation candidates deserves to keep his job.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum