{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Manager?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Manager?

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
- Securing 10 out of 15 points upon his appointment at Fulham to ensure survival in the Premier League against all odds - 16 years ago.
- Guided them to 9th in his second season in the Premier League - their highest ever league finish in the modern era - 15 years ago.
- Established Fulham as a steady mid table side in arguably the best league in the world - 15 years ago
- Took them to an FA Cup quarter final - 15 years ago
- Kept a side with a very modest budget and a limited fanbase in the Premier League for five years. 12 years ago

He has had 12 years to achieve something else in club football since then and hasn't managed it.

Then went on to do extremely well at the Euro's, in the easiest Euro's ever to qualify for. Again, International management completely different to club management.

Ahhhh I see, obviously history is erased after 10 years and any achievements made before then means absolutely nothing. :lol: :?
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:37 am

My point is why hasn’t he done anything else in club management in the preceding 12 years?

He won’t be coming here anyway. He did an interview this week in The Atheltic where he said he wants to retire within 10 years and he doesn’t want that 10 years to be in the UK unless ‘something juicy’ comes up.

There are some connections though. Coleman’s son (and agent) is the agent of Danny Rose and Mal Benning.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:41 am

Alwaysa5tag wrote:Heard a strong rumour from a reliable source that the Radfords have had discussions with regards to Chris Coleman becoming the next manager, this is only 2nd hand info but as I say, it's a reliable source.

Watch this space....

what they actually heard was someone saying "Oh Mansfield Town? They play in the colman's mustard colour kit."
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:46 am

MTFCMusings wrote:My point is why hasn’t he done anything else in club management in the preceding 12 years?

- Managed in Spain for a year, then went to Greece. Left due to financial difficulties at the club
- Became a pundit
- Faced an impossible task at Coventry with terrible owners
- More punditry
- Managed Wales for four years
- Faced a similarly impossible task at Sunderland (watch the documentary) - most fans wanted him to stay

He’s basically had two league jobs after Fulham and neither of them he could do much with.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:51 am

Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:My point is why hasn’t he done anything else in club management in the preceding 12 years?

- Managed in Spain for a year, then went to Greece. Left due to financial difficulties at the club
- Became a pundit
- More punditry
- Faced a similarly impossible task at Sunderland (watch the documentary) - most fans wanted him to stay

He’s basically had two league jobs after Fulham and neither of them he could do much with.

So the foreign jobs he’s had don’t count? If he’s so brilliant why hasn’t he had other offers at clubs who aren’t basket cases?

Also we can’t assess the jobs he’s done at Coventry or Sunderland because of the owners, because no manager has ever done a good job in spite of the owners. He had 30 games at Sunderland to turn things around (after all, even if he has no money, he’s a brilliant coach because of what he did with Wales), he couldn’t turn it around.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Dunno what's more incredulous - commenting about Coleman coming to the stags, or the fact he's not good enough to manage us :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

- Became a pundit
- More punditry

So the foreign jobs he’s had don’t count?

Well according to you his entire career in management at Fulham in the Premier League doesn’t count, so why should they? :lol:
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:04 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Dunno what's more incredulous - commenting about Coleman coming to the stags, or the fact he's not good enough to manage us :P

Only on Stagsnet mate :lol:
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby West Ham 1969 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:08 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Chander Lear wrote:He did OK at Fulham

12 years ago, where the only thing he had to focus on was keeping them up.

Might have to do that for us on current form :o
West Ham 1969
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:09 pm

Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

- Became a pundit
- More punditry

So the foreign jobs he’s had don’t count?

Well according to you his entire career in management at Fulham in the Premier League doesn’t count, so why should they? :lol:

Today's football is completely different from 15 years ago. Of course they count, but your definition of an achievement is not the same as mine. His average league position, across 7 seasons in English football is 15th. Not a promotion, not a play-off place on his record.

The best you can offer is he saved and established a team in the premier league (they were there 2 years before he joined, and 6 years after he left) over a decade ago, and that the Sunderland fans wanted him to stay because he was a nice bloke, but he couldn't move them up three places in the league in 30 games because the owners weren't very good.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:12 pm

:lol: this is great. I didn't know so much importance was placed on what I said!

Let me clear it up. From what I've seen of his personality he seems arrogant and smug. That's what I don't want in a manager, particularly if he were to make a step down to our level, thinking he was Billy big balls. In terms of his career, I'm not doubting he did better than expected with Fulham and Wales, but has he ever won a promotion? Or managed league 2 football? It's a different game down here. What we need is a proven manager who has won multiple promotions in the lower leagues.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:14 pm

ParisStag wrote::lol: this is great. I didn't know so much importance was placed on what I said!

Let me clear it up. From what I've seen of his personality he seems arrogant and smug. That's what I don't want in a manager, particularly if he were to make a step down to our level, thinking he was Billy big balls. In terms of his career, I'm not doubting he did better than expected with Fulham and Wales, but has he ever won a promotion? Or managed league 2 football? It's a different game down here. What we need is a proven manager who has won multiple promotions in the lower leagues.

Come back Fat Man please :D Name one Paris ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:14 pm

The One wrote:
ParisStag wrote::lol: this is great. I didn't know so much importance was placed on what I said!

Phil Parkinson.

I'll help Paris out as we seem to be on a lone crusade here :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:21 pm

Ah ok. Because he’s never lowered himself to L2 football before, that must mean everything he learnt at Premier League and International level means nothing. All the contacts he has in the game would cease to exist.

The fact that some on here genuinely believe we can do better than someone who has managed for five seasons in the Premier League and has managed his country in a European Championship semi final watched by billions across the world is laughable.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Random Hero wrote:

Ah ok. Because he’s never lowered himself to L2 football before, that must mean everything he learnt at Premier League and International level means nothing. All the contacts he has in the game would cease to exist.

The fact that some on here genuinely believe we can do better than someone who has managed for five seasons in the Premier League and has managed his country in a European Championship semi final watched by billions across the world is laughable.

It's equally laughable that you believe he could be successful here when there is absolutely zero evidence across a 16 year career that he has achieved a top 7 finish or won any league or trophy. A career win percentage of 32.9%.

Your argument is based on 'ah well he's a big name and has managed at higher levels so he would instantly be a success in L2'.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:26 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
The One wrote:

Phil Parkinson.

I'll help Paris out as we seem to be on a lone crusade here :lol:

David Flitcroft?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Exactly Musings. Parkinson is the one. Otherwise, Appleton.

People are too easily wooed by a big name. He got the Fulham job because he had been their captain and did a good job there, where he was loved. Sometimes managers get a good break and a club that fits. He also did fairly well for Wales, where he'd also been a player. Elsewhere though, where he has no connections to fans or club, he failed.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:35 pm

[quote="MutinyOnTheCounty"]Dunno what's more incredulous - commenting about Coleman coming to the stags, or the fact he's not good enough to manage us :P[/quote

Maybe Garry Neville as his assistant? If we would of got our act together, we could of gone for Wayne Rooney
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Hopefully what we can take from this if there is any truth to it, whether you think he’d be good or bad, is that Radford is actively looking for a replacement.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:39 pm

tuopolfpilf wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:Dunno what's more incredulous - commenting about Coleman coming to the stags, or the fact he's not good enough to manage us :P[/quote

Maybe Garry Neville as his assistant? If we would of got our act together, we could of gone for Wayne Rooney

Even Neville's got a better win percentage than Coleman :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby magicstag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Why appleton never done anything of note
magicstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby hucknallstag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:42 pm

Parkinsons style would bore/frustrate and divide support.has to be better options than that.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:45 pm

magicstag wrote:Why appleton never done anything of note

Look again at his time at Oxford. Considered there best manager in years, at a club who have had Chris Wilder in recent memory.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:48 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I hope not. A man who has never achieved anything in club football.

If true what are the club doing?! Chasing headlines again because he's a well known name with a well known wife?

Bwahahahaha. You immense helmet.

You’ve surpassed yourself this time.

I’ve found the box of uncertainty. It’s between your ears
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:50 pm

magicstag wrote:Why appleton never done anything of note

Got Oxford promoted to League 1, got to to EFL Trophy finals and top half League 1 finish.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum