{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Manager?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Manager?

Postby ST4GS » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:30 am

daddycool wrote:Jones is a typical example of how some managers do well at one club but crap at another, Stoke should have enough to hold there own in the championship .
Are the prims donnas not playing for him ?

Amazingly Stoke were very good last night, dominated the game for long periods and probably deserved to beat Forest by at least two goals. (check the stats). If you had to pick the team that went top of the league on performance it would not be Forest on the evidence of last night.
Individual errors are costing them big time.
I like Nathan Jones' attitude and tactics. Stoke would be mad to get rid but then again it is a results based business.
If he became available and we were also without a manager it would be a no brainer.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:56 am

The pundits on tv last night said that Jones just plays one style, a diamond 4 in middle of park, and doesn’t have the players available that can play that formation effectively.

Square pegs in round holes and once you start losing, confidence drops and individual mistakes start happening which costs you points.

Haven’t we seen this closer to home this season.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:00 am

Can't believe some fans would take another mardy, moaning, weasly little manager.
There was a thread a few years ago where his Luton team had been bullied into defeat and he was in tears as he moaned, he was slated on here!!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:56 am

part time pete wrote:The pundits on tv last night said that Jones just plays one style, a diamond 4 in middle of park, and doesn’t have the players available that can play that formation effectively.

Square pegs in round holes and once you start losing, confidence drops and individual mistakes start happening which costs you points.

Haven’t we seen this closer to home this season.

Watched most of the game, Forest hardly got a corner over the first man. Poor for championship players.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:10 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:Some of us are positive some negative about JD. Will someone in the first camp please explain why rather than just say give him time...back him...???

He has no managerial experience with professional footballers.
Including pre season, league and league cup he has won TWO games. ...about a 10% winning rate.
He inherited an almost successful team that needed fine tuning...got two great strikers and Kellan Gordon and we have deteriorated!
His substitutions have generally been disastrous
His tactics clueless
We've hardly played anyone decent yet
In moments of crisis he retreats pitch side behind others
We are 19th in the table

Yes I'm negative about him and have been from the appointment but please someone tell me other than blindly supporting him on what alternative grounds and reasons is he the man for the job????

I'll make an attempt. Because we have no other choice. The board make those choices. Also, all managers start out as rookies, every single one of them. Wasn't it said that Sir Alex Ferguson was days away from the sack, he did alright in the end.

He's tried to keep it the same as last season, as much as possible, even reinstating the backroom staff that left with DF. He's now decided that that was a mistake and rectified it.

We all saw that DF, a manager with experience, struggled with Evans' side, he struggled with Murray's side. Now Demps is struggling with DF's side.

It is an unfortunate state of affairs. Some could say we've been unfortunate with injuries, suspensions and 1 player losing his job completely. Neither of them helped our cause this season.

To be fair Demps is close to getting it right, football is fine margins. Cut out the suspensions, be brave. Subs are there to freshen things up, for me you want to look at giving subs 30 minutes to change a game. So far they get 5 or 10.

Whilst I'm not pleased with the start we've made and the defending would make the dog and duck Sunday league team look good. We have improved.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:47 am

Chris Coleman was discussed. I know he’s not coming but for those interested there’s a great doumemtary on Netflix about the Sunderland season when they went down from the championship (no spoiler alert). Behind the scenes at the club and very interesting. Coleman joins ten games in.

It’s called Sunderland ‘Til I die.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:55 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:Some of us are positive some negative about JD. Will someone in the first camp please explain why rather than just say give him time...back him...???

He has no managerial experience with professional footballers.
Including pre season, league and league cup he has won TWO games. ...about a 10% winning rate.
He inherited an almost successful team that needed fine tuning...got two great strikers and Kellan Gordon and we have deteriorated!
His substitutions have generally been disastrous
His tactics clueless
We've hardly played anyone decent yet
In moments of crisis he retreats pitch side behind others
We are 19th in the table

Yes I'm negative about him and have been from the appointment but please someone tell me other than blindly supporting him on what alternative grounds and reasons is he the man for the job????

I'll make an attempt. Because we have no other choice. The board make those choices. Also, all managers start out as rookies, every single one of them. Wasn't it said that Sir Alex Ferguson was days away from the sack, he did alright in the end.

He's tried to keep it the same as last season, as much as possible, even reinstating the backroom staff that left with DF. He's now decided that that was a mistake and rectified it.

We all saw that DF, a manager with experience, struggled with Evans' side, he struggled with Murray's side. Now Demps is struggling with DF's side.

It is an unfortunate state of affairs. Some could say we've been unfortunate with injuries, suspensions and 1 player losing his job completely. Neither of them helped our cause this season.

To be fair Demps is close to getting it right, football is fine margins. Cut out the suspensions, be brave. Subs are there to freshen things up, for me you want to look at giving subs 30 minutes to change a game. So far they get 5 or 10.

Whilst I'm not pleased with the start we've made and the defending would make the dog and duck Sunday league team look good. We have improved.

I would agree with all of this. Football is a fine line. Gordon doesn’t kick that ball out and it’s a 2 1 away and you’re a hero. He does and it’s 2 2 and you’re a villain. There are so many examples for all clubs of small moments that you can’t always legislate for that change games and results. That’s why I think it’s more important, from game to game, to look at performances and stats. Yes (I know, I know) it’s a results based business. But results overall tend to come from performances. For instances would say the Scunthorpe performance was poor, but the Port Vale (and actually Crawley in some ways) was good. But if you look at the results you would say otherwise.

I really hope we win today and get on a roll. Let’s take 3 points (please!) and take a thousand plus of us to Grimsby and win that game too!
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:05 am

ST4GS wrote:
daddycool wrote:Jones is a typical example of how some managers do well at one club but crap at another, Stoke should have enough to hold there own in the championship .
Are the prims donnas not playing for him ?

Amazingly Stoke were very good last night, dominated the game for long periods and probably deserved to beat Forest by at least two goals. (check the stats). If you had to pick the team that went top of the league on performance it would not be Forest on the evidence of last night.
Individual errors are costing them big time.
I like Nathan Jones' attitude and tactics. Stoke would be mad to get rid but then again it is a results based business.
If he became available and we were also without a manager it would be a no brainer.

They've done the same in every single game.

I've been to a few games through family connections, also watched a few games, kept a close eye on them. After 5 or 6 games they had conceded the least chances in the league but conceded the most goals, with an England keeper between the sticks. What chance has a manager got with that? They win the xG battle most weeks but the team don't take the chances.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:21 am

Look, at the end of the day, being negative helps nobody and hinders everybody.

You can show support to a team down on its luck with constructive criticism. Football is a confidence game and how some people feel calling all and sundry "poo" (you know which word I mean) is helpful. In fact it is quite hindering to some players, it drains energy from players and they play worse.

Think about it from the player/managers point of view. On a 4,000 home gate, if only a quarter abuse that's 1,000 vs 1. 1/8 is 500 vs 1. 1/16 is 250vs. A few years back I struggled with depression, I underperformed at work a couple of days in a row and got abuse from my colleagues, it was 5 vs 1, I very nearly did something stupid that evening. I was trying the best I could at the time and was failing. I knew I could do better but for those 2 days I couldn't. That's why I never abuse anybody associated with MTFC in that way. I know first hand the effects it can have. Just because they earn mor ethan you doesn't mean they should be happy by default, or never get down about life.

Billy Kee is an excellent example, footballer wise. We have no god given right to win any game of football. We have no right to expect perfection from everybody.

People always say its the same up and down the country, which is true, but that doesn't mean we should be sheep and follow the same pattern.

Please, no more abusing of players or management at the games. By all means vent on here if needs be but abuse at games does nothing except act as the oppositions 12th man. If they are behind their team it becomes their 13th man.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:25 am

gazza1988 wrote:Look, at the end of the day, being negative helps nobody and hinders everybody.

You can show support to a team down on its luck with constructive criticism. Football is a confidence game and how some people feel calling all and sundry "poo" (you know which word I mean) is helpful. In fact it is quite hindering to some players, it drains energy from players and they play worse.

Think about it from the player/managers point of view. On a 4,000 home gate, if only a quarter abuse that's 1,000 vs 1. 1/8 is 500 vs 1. 1/16 is 250vs. A few years back I struggled with depression, I underperformed at work a couple of days in a row and got abuse from my colleagues, it was 5 vs 1, I very nearly did something stupid that evening. I was trying the best I could at the time and was failing. I knew I could do better but for those 2 days I couldn't. That's why I never abuse anybody associated with MTFC in that way. I know first hand the effects it can have. Just because they earn mor ethan you doesn't mean they should be happy by default, or never get down about life.

Billy Kee is an excellent example, footballer wise. We have no god given right to win any game of football. We have no right to expect perfection from everybody.

People always say its the same up and down the country, which is true, but that doesn't mean we should be sheep and follow the same pattern.

Please, no more abusing of players or management at the games. By all means vent on here if needs be but abuse at games does nothing except act as the oppositions 12th man. If they are behind their team it becomes their 13th man.

Gazza, although I find some of your posts wide of the mark, I think you are spot on with this one. Disappointment should not turn to abuse while there is still time to rectify results and the game is still live.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:13 am

Get Derek Adams in
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:42 am

It'll be Sol Campbell & Stagsnet will implode. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:47 am

sam allardyce... get him in.

Realistically though of who I can think doesn't have a job at present....

Gary Rowett? I hate him because of how arrogant and boring he is, but hes started to change his tune on sky. Good manager should of stayed put at derby.

Nigel Pearson? would probably have a fight on the training ground
Steve Cotterill?
Chris Powell?
Phil Parkinson?
Derek Adams?
Phil Brown? :lol:

Lower league options:

Dave Challinor
Pete Wild
Tim Flowers

Just can't see Demps turning it around at any point... what's he suddenly going to do now?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:29 am

Sedgwick wrote:sam allardyce... get him in.

Gary Rowett? I hate him because of how arrogant and boring he is, but hes started to change his tune on sky. Good manager should of stayed put at derby.

Steve Cotterill?
Chris Powell?
Phil Parkinson?
Derek Adams?

Lower league options:

Dave Challinor
Pete Wild
Tim Flowers

Just can't see Demps turning it around at any point... what's he suddenly going to do now?
Perhaps Steve Hymas might fancy it?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:38 am

Sedgwick wrote:sam allardyce... get him in.

Steve Cotterill?
Chris Powell?
Phil Parkinson?
Derek Adams?

Lower league options:

Dave Challinor
Pete Wild
Tim Flowers

A lot of those names don't fill me with confidence tbh, we'd be walking down the trodden path with some. Those like Parkinson and Cotterill I doubt would even give us a second thought.

If we do sack Dempster I wouldn't mind us going down the up and coming non-league route. Those with league 2 experience tend to stay around managing at this level for a reason.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:54 am

Let the fans be the manager.
Votes by phone for team and in play subs if 60% vote a player should be taken off.
I wonder how many would of voted for CJ to be replaced with Maynard with 25 mins left?
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:11 pm

chip63 wrote:Let the fans be the manager.
Votes by phone for team and in play subs if 60% vote a player should be taken off.
I wonder how many would of voted for CJ to be replaced with Maynard with 25 mins left?

Spot on Chip....couldn't believe he left CJ on as long as he did and then substituted him with Dapo not Maynard. What did JD honestly think the lad from West Ham would bring instead of Nicky? His substitutions have been consistently awful both in personnel and timing starting with Smith for Khan in the Orient game.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Steve Bruce will be available soon.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:11 pm

WE need to snap up the best option that's available now before theyre elsewhere..... we cant even poach another clubs manager because they're all above us.

go and get literally anyone else... Stuart McCall could be added to the above list.

Something drastic has to change soon, either Dempster pulls off a miracle or we get a proper manager.

Can see this season being one of just about guaranteeing safety with 10 games to go and thinking what has gone terribly wrong if we stick with JD. Would he then know what to do or be trusted with another transfer window?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Sedgwick wrote:WE need to snap up the best option that's available now before theyre elsewhere..... we cant even poach another clubs manager because they're all above us.

go and get literally anyone else... Stuart McCall could be added to the above list.

Something drastic has to change soon, either Dempster pulls off a miracle or we get a proper manager.

Can see this season being one of just about guaranteeing safety with 10 games to go and thinking what has gone terribly wrong if we stick with JD. Would he then know what to do or be trusted with another transfer window?

Absolutely. He can't be trusted to spend anymore money or be anywhere near the first team.

Does anyone know who we interviewed last time we held interviews for the managers job, think it was when Murray got the job.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:34 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:WE need to snap up the best option that's available now before theyre elsewhere..... we cant even poach another clubs manager because they're all above us.

Absolutely. He can't be trusted to spend anymore money or be anywhere near the first team.

Does anyone know who we interviewed last time we held interviews for the managers job, think it was when Murray got the job.

Don't know who we interviewed... but like Flitcroft thought, were a dream club to manage at this level now.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:36 pm

Stuart McCall? Now I've heard it all :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:54 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

....and don’t forget Steve Parkin
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:04 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

....and don’t forget Steve Parkin

Stuart McCall got Bradford to a league one play off final, but wasn't that off the back of Parkinson's good work? Other than that he's achieved nowt. Not sure what Steve parkin has achieved but there's a love in on here with some
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

NATHAN JONES

Postby SINA STAG » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:23 pm

:coys:
A Stag for life not just through good times.... 4 4 2 living the dream.....
SINA STAG
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum