{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Manager?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Manager?

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:There isn’t a day goes by without a manager being sacked and tipped for the job at Mansfield. We have a manager and until we have a vacancy it’s all irrelevant. We had a good manager in DF and he’s gone ( sorry to say ) now we have JD and even though things could be better we have to back him . He is Mansfield through and through and deserves time and a bit of respect given the years he’s been here. A change of manager could see us even worse off = CFC , NCFC.

Being Mansfield through and through has absolutely nothing to do whether he is a competent manager or not.

Also, how many years are we now gonna go on about the plight of Notts County just because they got it horribly wrong and went down? That has nothing to do with us either. We can’t live in fear of sacking a poor manager because Notts County went down when they did. You can easily pluck another example out where changing a manager worked out well...

... last year Villa were languishing in mid table, brought in a new manager, he turned it round and they got promoted. I’m not saying we’re gonna go and get promoted this year, but It’s more likely that if we appoint a proper manager we’ll be better off in my opinion.

Completely agree BH. Notts County’s demise last season has nothing to do with us, and like you said there will be countless examples where a team has sacked a manager who was underachieving and replaced him with someone who went on to meet certain expectations.

Also, County sacked someone in Kevin Nolan who had been there for over a season and a half, and had just had a good season managing them the year before when they made the playoffs. Completely different to what Dempster has so far done. They then replaced him with Harry Kewell who had done even less in management than Nolan. Obviously if we sack Dempster, unlike County, his replacement would surely be someone with experience in the lower leagues who may have a promotion(s) on his CV already.

So Nolan's record was similar to Flitcroft's and they sacked him. Then they replaced him with someone with a lot less experience, then sacked him and replaced him with an experienced manager, and they were relegated.

I can definitely see a similar pattern emerging :)

I don't care even if there is a 'pattern'. Sacking Dempster and replacing him with an experienced manager gives us a better chance at competing in the top half of the table. Anyone that defends keeping Dempster with the "look what happened to Notts County" argument is foolish and clearly lacks any ambition.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:13 pm

Evans spent a lot of money on poor players (in the main) and his side was carried by Adam Murray signings in the main.

He hadn't had success for several years before he came and has had nothing since he left. The rules about behaviour on the touch line have been rightly changed and his bullying style has been sent to the rubbish heap.

If he came back here it would only be for a big payday and if we did somehow manage to get success, he would be off like a shot to the first bigger club that would give him a chance. Additionally his playing style wasn't great or entertaining.

So it's a no from me.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:31 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:There isn’t a day goes by without a manager being sacked and tipped for the job at Mansfield. We have a manager and until we have a vacancy it’s all irrelevant. We had a good manager in DF and he’s gone ( sorry to say ) now we have JD and even though things could be better we have to back him . He is Mansfield through and through and deserves time and a bit of respect given the years he’s been here. A change of manager could see us even worse off = CFC , NCFC.

Being Mansfield through and through has absolutely nothing to do whether he is a competent manager or not.

Also, how many years are we now gonna go on about the plight of Notts County just because they got it horribly wrong and went down? That has nothing to do with us either. We can’t live in fear of sacking a poor manager because Notts County went down when they did. You can easily pluck another example out where changing a manager worked out well...

... last year Villa were languishing in mid table, brought in a new manager, he turned it round and they got promoted. I’m not saying we’re gonna go and get promoted this year, but It’s more likely that if we appoint a proper manager we’ll be better off in my opinion.

Completely agree BH. Notts County’s demise last season has nothing to do with us, and like you said there will be countless examples where a team has sacked a manager who was underachieving and replaced him with someone who went on to meet certain expectations.

Also, County sacked someone in Kevin Nolan who had been there for over a season and a half, and had just had a good season managing them the year before when they made the playoffs. Completely different to what Dempster has so far done. They then replaced him with Harry Kewell who had done even less in management than Nolan. Obviously if we sack Dempster, unlike County, his replacement would surely be someone with experience in the lower leagues who may have a promotion(s) on his CV already.

So Nolan's record was similar to Flitcroft's and they sacked him. Then they replaced him with someone with a lot less experience, then sacked him and replaced him with an experienced manager, and they were relegated.

I can definitely see a similar pattern emerging :)

I don't care even if there is a 'pattern'. Sacking Dempster and replacing him with an experienced manager gives us a better chance at competing in the top half of the table. Anyone that defends keeping Dempster with the "look what happened to Notts County" argument is foolish and clearly lacks any ambition.

Some get it, some don't.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:54 pm

I think most on here "get it".

Since Paul Cox has been manager, all the other appointments have ended in disappointment one way or the other.

There are no guarantees that the next incumbent will be any different.

There is also the financial side to take into account. Money used to pay up contracts reduces the money we can spend on new players.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:44 pm

i'd sooner be relegated to non league than have the scottish manager in charge again.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Spiritater wrote:i'd sooner be relegated to non league than have the scottish manager in charge again.

Second that
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:57 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I think most on here "get it".

Since Paul Cox has been manager, all the other appointments have ended in disappointment one way or the other.

There is also the financial side to take into account. Money used to pay up contracts reduces the money we can spend on new players.

99% of all managerial appointments at any club end in disappointment.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I think most on here "get it".

99% of all managerial appointments at any club end in disappointment.
Ultimately they do, but in a lot more than 1% there is usually some success during the tenure.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:43 pm

Spiritater wrote:i'd sooner be relegated to non league than have the scottish manager in charge again.

Well that’s just a daft opinion to hold isn’t it.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:56 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:

i would never ever want to go down to the pit of misery ever again ever
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:58 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

i would never ever want to go down to the pit of misery ever again ever

The place of nightmares and silly spiro
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:58 am

Sorry, but the club would become a much bigger festering sore of discontent, malice and nastiness than it is now. Add to this the utter mistrust of the blob he'd turn the atmos at Mill so bad even the pigeons would be quakeing at the knees before turning up for a shyt. Oppostion players would utterly revel in the toxicity of it. The guy lumbered us with a lorryload of crocks too. I'd not attend again if he came back.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:01 am

Spiritater wrote:Sorry, but the club would become a much bigger festering sore of discontent, malice and nastiness than it is now. Add to this the utter mistrust of the blob he'd turn the atmos at Mill so bad even the pigeons would be quakeing at the knees before turning up for a shyt. Oppostion players would utterly revel in the toxicity of it. The guy lumbered us with a lorryload of crocks too. I'd not attend again if he came back.

:lol: :lol: wow, opposition players are utterly revelling in the nicely nicely atmosphere JD has created :roll:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:09 am

so you'd take him back then with all his lies, tantrums and his prat of a side kick?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:20 am

No but that's not the point I picked up on, the festering pit he created as you put it was a horrible place for the opposition to come and play and we got results as opposed to the current statue who makes it easy for them!!!!
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:56 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Sorry, but the club would become a much bigger festering sore of discontent, malice and nastiness than it is now. Add to this the utter mistrust of the blob he'd turn the atmos at Mill so bad even the pigeons would be quakeing at the knees before turning up for a shyt. Oppostion players would utterly revel in the toxicity of it. The guy lumbered us with a lorryload of crocks too. I'd not attend again if he came back.

:lol: :lol: wow, opposition players are utterly revelling in the nicely nicely atmosphere JD has created :roll:

Sure are. 5 home league defeats already, opposition teams must be rubbing their hands together when they see Mansfield away on the fixtures list at the minute - the easiest place in the league to come and pick up a win (along with one or two others at the bottom).
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:30 am

Chorley will be looking for a scalp in view of recent home debacles.
Its going to be a tough one but of course it could be a springboard to top 3.....!!!! lol lol
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:14 am

Thick table.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:No but that's not the point I picked up on, the festering pit he created as you put it was a horrible place for the opposition to come and play and we got results as opposed to the current statue who makes it easy for them!!!!

It wasnt particularly pleasant for home fans either. Especially those he and his sidekick got into a rumble with. I found the two of them embarrassing.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:10 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:No but that's not the point I picked up on, the festering pit he created as you put it was a horrible place for the opposition to come and play and we got results as opposed to the current statue who makes it easy for them!!!!

It wasnt particularly pleasant for home fans either. Especially those he and his sidekick got into a rumble with. I found the two of them embarrassing.

I watched the game not them.
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:16 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I watched the game not them.

How very ....
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:49 pm

Oh for Neil Warnock released by Cardiff apparently! !
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Mate at work a Leyton Orient fan, they feeling the same pain with newly appointed manager there after the temp one was doing well
He had 1 up front Sat against Maldon Tiptree and 2 defensive midfielders...sound familiar!!!......result...... lost 2 1.
They mention Tisdale too!!
Lets hope he still available soon...we might need him or maybe JR could get the chopper out and nip over to Wales and pick up Warnock till the end of the season .. lol
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:12 pm

tillydog123 wrote:Mate at work a Leyton Orient fan, they feeling the same pain with newly appointed manager there after the temp one was doing well
He had 1 up front Sat against Maldon Tiptree and 2 defensive midfielders...sound familiar!!!......result...... lost 2 1.
They mention Tisdale too!!
Lets hope he still available soon...we might need him or maybe JR could get the chopper out and nip over to Wales and pick up Warnock till the end of the season .. lol

Warnock lives in Looe Cornwall.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:18 pm

Think it was wishful thinking and clutching at straws seeing as nothing is going to happen anytime soon at our club. We can but dream !!!
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum