{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Manager?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Manager?

Postby hucknallstag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:36 am

I fear I just did pal.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:38 am

hucknallstag wrote:I fear I just did pal.

I don't think you have pal.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:41 am

Let me get this right, a guy who has managed at International, Premiership and Championship level is not good enough for us?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:42 am

The One wrote:Let me get this right, a guy who has managed at International, Premiership and Championship level is not good enough for us?

Yes. Why is that so hard to understand.

:roll:
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby JLStag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:43 am

All that aside does anyone honestly think a bloke who was on £3.5 mil in china will be interested in a job in L2?
JLStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:44 am

The One wrote:Let me get this right, a guy who has managed at International, Premiership and Championship level is not good enough for us?

Why does managing at a level, and not achieving anything other than outside club football, automatically mean he's a good manager? Look deeper into the jobs he has done. You're being seduced by a name.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:44 am

Next level Stagsnet this :lol:
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:48 am

I'd hate to think who musings would accept as a reasonable appointment if chris coleman isn't good enough?bit of a pointless argument really,I can't believe we are in with a chance?of course,you can prove me wrong John and carolyn
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:51 am

hucknallstag wrote:I'd hate to think who musings would accept as a reasonable appointment if chris coleman isn't good enough?bit of a pointless argument really,I can't believe we are in with a chance?of course,you can prove me wrong John and carolyn

I'd rather have a whole host of people, and they would be a lot cheaper and a lot more realistic.

Phil Parkinson, Michael Appleton to name two. Two people who know the league and have achieved at his level. Managers who's 'success' as a club manager wasn't over a decade ago.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:55 am

This forum gets dafter and dafter
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:57 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Why does managing at a level, and not achieving anything other than outside club football, automatically mean he's a good manager? Look deeper into the jobs he has done. You're being seduced by a name.

Not achieving anything apart from

- Securing 10 out of 15 points upon his appointment at Fulham to ensure survival in the Premier League against all odds
- Guided them to 9th in his second season in the Premier League - their highest ever league finish in the modern era
- Established Fulham as a steady mid table side in arguably the best league in the world
- Took them to an FA Cup quarter final
- Kept a side with a very modest budget and a limited fanbase in the Premier League for five years.

He then went on to

- Qualify for Euro 2016 with a Wales team consisting of just one world class player
- Take that same team to the semi finals of the European Championships. (Yes, of course this is relevant! He was the bloody manager of the team!)

But obviously he's never achieved anything. :shock:
Last edited by Random Hero on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:00 am

Parkinson would divide support with his route one win 1-0 approach and if you believe what you read has turned down Lincoln and southend's already,appleton not such a bad shout but again......would he come?If we are the club with ambition that our chairman and CEO go on about then why not put the infastructure in place?chris coleman imo would rip league two up even tho I don't believe for a minute he would come.Little things like a 3 sided ground would go against us I fear.the club in general are going in the right direction,we just need to kick on starting with the removal of the present manager and keeping certain directors out of the process of selecting the next appointment
Last edited by hucknallstag on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 am

Would be a stunning appointment if true but sounds a bit fanciful to me and not sure he would even consider thinking about league 2 after the clubs he has managed.
Nice post and got me buzzing immediately at least for a few hours.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:02 am

hucknallstag wrote:Parkinson would divide support with his route one win 1-0 approach and if you believe what you read has turned down Lincoln and southend's already,appleton not such a bad shout but again......would he come?If we are the club with ambition that our chairman and CEO go on about then why not put the infastructure in place?chris coleman imo would rip league two up even tho I don't believe for a minute he would come.Little things like a 3 sided ground would go against us I fear.the club in general are going in the right direction,we just need to kick on starting with the removal of the present manager and keeping certain directors out of the process of selecting the next appointment

Perhaps an interview panel selected from the wealth of experts on this forum?
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:02 am

Random Hero wrote:
nick_stags wrote:
ParisStag wrote:I'd rather keep Dempster than have him.

So would I.

Coleman managed in the Premier League for five years, and took a bang average Wales side to the semi-finals of the European Championships just three years ago...but you'd rather have Dempster?

This place cracks me up at times :lol:

I think the criticism is perhaps based on personal dislike, rather than managerial capabilities?

Unfortunately there's no chance of him coming here, so it's all a bit 'Hamilton' (Academical :P)
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am

Believe it when I see it.

Think his name alone would inspire this squad to do something.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:03 am

Random Hero wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Not achieving anything apart from

- Securing 10 out of 15 points upon his appointment at Fulham to ensure survival in the Premier League against all odds
- Guided them to 9th in his second season in the Premier League - their highest ever league finish in the modern era
- Established Fulham as a steady mid table side in arguably the best league in the world
- Took them to an FA Cup quarter final
- Kept a side with a very modest budget and a limited fanbase in the Premier League for five years.

He then went on to

- Qualify for Euro 2016 with a Wales team consisting of just one world class player
- Take that same team to the semi finals of the European Championships.

But obviously he's never achieved anything. :shock:

- Securing 10 out of 15 points upon his appointment at Fulham to ensure survival in the Premier League against all odds - 16 years ago.
- Guided them to 9th in his second season in the Premier League - their highest ever league finish in the modern era - 15 years ago.
- Established Fulham as a steady mid table side in arguably the best league in the world - 15 years ago
- Took them to an FA Cup quarter final - 15 years ago
- Kept a side with a very modest budget and a limited fanbase in the Premier League for five years. 12 years ago

He has had 12 years to achieve something else in club football since then and hasn't managed it.

Then went on to do extremely well at the Euro's, in the easiest Euro's ever to qualify for. Again, International management completely different to club management.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:04 am

No,just the right decision for the club going forward will be fine edwinstowe.
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:05 am

hucknallstag wrote:No,just the right decision for the club going forward will be fine edwinstowe.

Can’t argue with that Huckers.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:06 am

This is like reading " What did the Romans ever do for us"
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:21 am

I hope who ever comes in freshens it up a bit.... do something brave like replace one of the back 3, sign competition for left back etc etc. Let those who have been here for a while and done nothing go

Dempster should of done this after being so close to the squad.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby NG17_stag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:21 am

For 3 marks, sum up Stagsnet in one sentence:

JLStag wrote:Imagine taking wales to a semi final in the Euros to have someone who knows nothing about football management telling you you're not good enough to manage a league 2 side...
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:23 am

The One wrote:This is like reading " What did the Romans ever do for us"

This speculation has been the most exciting bit of the season so far :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:24 am

JLStag wrote:All that aside does anyone honestly think a bloke who was on £3.5 mil in china will be interested in a job in L2?

Hymas would hound him out anyway for not putting a full youth team out in the starting 11
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:34 am

NG17_stag wrote:For 3 marks, sum up Stagsnet in one sentence:

JLStag wrote:Imagine taking wales to a semi final in the Euros to have someone who knows nothing about football management telling you you're not good enough to manage a league 2 side...

I think it shows what he could do with us.... In the premier league and at a massive club like Sunderland where half the squad didn't want to play motivating players and trying to get the best out of them just isnt enough.

What he did with an average Wales side he could do here, similar job I think despite the level. (prepared to be called clueless by someone who thinks different)

Still think anyone who fails to bring through 11 youth players and get promoted whilst praising the RH academy will get the Hymas chop
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum