{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

New Manager?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: New Manager?

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:12 pm

Highly doubt Jones will come here. He will have offers much higher up the pyramid. Bet Sunderland and Southend are kicking themselves. Pompey job could be up for grabs soon.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:55 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
SINA STAG wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Stoke have sacked Jones.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49428903

Your seat is getting hot Dempster, playoffs by Christmas please.

Here he comes.......

JD Gone back to the youth team

Hehehe. Someone had to set the stagsnet hares running, may as well have been me!

You almost had my heart beating AWC .....
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:26 pm

We couldn't match Jones wages that he was on at Stoke.
He was only there 9 months so he will be in no rush.
Dempster even has a better record than him regarding results :D
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:04 pm

From day one I knew that JD was a bad appointment ... and there can be no complaints if he was now to be replaced.
The question is ... who & when? - as both factors are connected. Getting the 'right' manager often depends on their availability at the time. And even a 'proven' manager (such as Steve Evans, David Flitcroft, Darell Clarke & Ryan Lowe) do not guarantee anything (as their respective league positions currently show).

I can understand that the Radfords want to give JD more time in the hope that things will change. Maybe, they have subconsciously written-off promotion expectations this season?

There is also the fact that we were so close to promotion last season, that it led the Board into thinking that a 'minor tweak' would be enough to get promotion this season. However, the reality is that the wheels were falling off far more than was realised - and more surgery is needed to turn this squad into a promotion squad.

I'm all for replacing JD - but I'm not sure who with, right now.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:05 pm

The thing, is changing the manager isn't a "minor tweak". It's a major one, especially on the back of good results. Evans to Flitcroft, Flitcroft to Dempster, McCann to Evans, Flitcroft to Brown are just examples in the past few years where the manager was changed for different reasons with the teams in a strong position and it going "tits up"

People think that a manager can come in to a side doing fairly well and just carry on. You can't. I'd wager that our issues this season is we had a good season last season playing a certain way and train a certain way, Demps has changed all that and the players haven't responded well to the change in formula that worked for a good part of the season. Players are generally superstitious creatures of habit. The players who have generally been good this season have been Dempster own signings or players who got little game time last season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:17 pm

I feel the problem is not many fans have confidence or faith in JD. If we appointed someone like Tisdale or another experienced manager, even if they did not hit the ground running, we would get that faith back. JD's appt was a massive mistake and most knew that.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:20 pm

If only we’d have just appointed a proper manager in the first place eh?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:23 pm

the appointment was wrong,it put everybody on a downer from day one.nothing.....imo....has changed since then,performances,results and confidence are all down unsurprisingly.the club wont/dont need to make a decision while attendances remain above 4,000 on the back of good season ticket sales.crunch time however could/will come at the end of a mediocre season.what then mr.radford?
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby The One » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:If only we’d have just appointed a proper manager in the first place eh?

Or kept the one we had ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:45 pm

Surely he’s got to be sacked now!?

It’s Groundhog Day. Get rid why we’ve still a chance.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Seems like Steve Evans will be available again soon
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:09 pm

EdwinstoweStag wrote:Seems like Steve Evans will be available again soon

I can just imagine it. Biggest mistake made was to be lured away. I'm now back to finish the job for the wonderful chairman and CEO. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:16 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
EdwinstoweStag wrote:Seems like Steve Evans will be available again soon

I can just imagine it. Biggest mistake made was to be lured away. I'm now back to finish the job for the wonderful chairman and CEO. :D

Hahaa.. you.knlw what, that could happen.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:53 pm

They tried to save money and it’s failed. Will they now dig into their pockets for a decent manager? Something is not good at FM right now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:09 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:They tried to save money and it’s failed. Will they now dig into their pockets for a decent manager? Something is not good at FM right now.

I'm not so sure that it was a money saving exercise as much as a lack of confidence in having another 'big name' manager. I wonder if JR felt stung by Steve Evans & David Flitcroft .... and then reverted to his natural tendency to have a 'family' around him that he can trust. (Aided by the influence of one of the directors).

The trouble is, that whilst JR would probably not have been averse to spending the money last summer (i.e. Cook & Maynard) ... one wonders if the desire to invest much more at the moment might now be waning?
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Vice President wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:They tried to save money and it’s failed. Will they now dig into their pockets for a decent manager? Something is not good at FM right now.

I'm not so sure that it was a money saving exercise as much as a lack of confidence in having another 'big name' manager. I wonder if JR felt stung by Steve Evans & David Flitcroft .... and then reverted to his natural tendency to have a 'family' around him that he can trust. (Aided by the influence of one of the directors).

The trouble is, that whilst JR would probably not have been averse to spending the money last summer (i.e. Cook & Maynard) ... one wonders if the desire to invest much more at the moment might now be waning?

I think due to buying Maynard and Cook he went for this option. I also wonder if he was still paying DFs wages.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:38 am

The decrease in gate receipts would be at least as much as a new man's wages surely. The crowds won't keep up through the bad weather and Chrimbo financial pressures so it could be swings and roundabouts from a financial point of view..

The question for me is momentum and are we likely to build any. Unfortunately I can't see any coming along this side of the January transfer window. We would be lucky to pick up a decent midfielder in January and if we could they would be expensive. We do have players who are capable of good results but they aren't playing to strengths and are not consistent at the moment..

Tilsdale would be an excellent appointment for me and he can build teams who play above their individual skill levels. Get him in now and let's see where we are after Christmas. If we are within shouting distance of the playoffs, let him bring the odd player in, if not save the money for next year
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:40 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:The decrease in gate receipts would be at least as much as a new man's wages surely. The crowds won't keep up through the bad weather and Chrimbo financial pressures so it could be swings and roundabouts from a financial point of view..

The question for me is momentum and are we likely to build any. Unfortunately I can't see any coming along this side of the January transfer window. We would be lucky to pick up a decent midfielder in January and if we could they would be expensive. We do have players who are capable of good results but they aren't playing to strengths and are not consistent at the moment..

Tilsdale would be an excellent appointment for me and he can build teams who play above their individual skill levels. Get him in now and let's see where we are after Christmas. If we are within shouting distance of the playoffs, let him bring the odd player in, if not save the money for next year

100%.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:32 am

Sandy, that makes so much sense, so you know it will be rejected , out of hand, by the board.. When have we ever made a good decision when it cones to a manager?

Dempster Out!!
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby daddycool » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 am

Most of the top 8 at the moment kept there managers from last season ,all finished below us . Ours was wanted out by most on here , .Be careful what you wish for .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:15 pm

Tisdale available
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:01 pm

MK Dons have taken a leaf out of our book and gone with the cheap option. Player Russell Martin appointee manager.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:06 pm

If they’re gonna pull the trigger now would be the best time, give them a free hit at the FA cup game, few games to get some discipline into the squad before the busy Xmas games. Still enough games left to turn things around but Dempster hasn’t proved he’s got the cajones to do it so it’s time to hand over the reins
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:28 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:MK Dons have taken a leaf out of our book and gone with the cheap option. Player Russell Martin appointee manager.

MK do not have a pot to pee in, they are losing 10k a week.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:31 pm

I just have a feeling Dempster will be in charge come the last game of the season.... It seems like the club has marked JD as the man to be given 2-3 years, be given time and to bring through the youth at the same time, on what basis I don't know but that's where I see the club going with this appointment, unless were bottom 3/4 then they must act.

The only thing not filling me with confidence is the fact that in the summer, he could have fixed a few things and didn't.

- Didn't sort this awful midfield out
- Thinks Macca is good enough despite our best run being with him out injured.
- Thought gordon was a Right Back...
- Didn't Sign any fit and proper cover for any defensive positions.
- Cant get the best out of one of the leagues best wingers, and has just dumped CJ out the team.
- Refuses to build around the clubs best players/ ones that performed last season.
- No style of play, doesn't seem bothered or convinced passing football is the way to go.
- No clue about formations etc... started copying what failed last season now has tentatively moved into 442 hoping for the best without playing any out and out wingers?!
- Makes subs too late and often gets them completely wrong. Bringing on the kids against Orient was naive and stupid thinking the game was won.

Now maybe lengths of contracts etc haven't helped but we've signed two great strikers and hoped that would be it???

Somewhat of a clear out needed and I don't trust him to rebuild it.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum