{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

JD Press Conference 19/9

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

JD Press Conference 19/9

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:46 am

Sounds like there are some players who are not buying in.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: JD Press Conference 19/9

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:57 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Industrious midfield of Bishop, Macca, and Tomlinson incoming
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:58 am

To be fair, the last time we started with that midfield on the road, we won and kept a clean sheet.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:28 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

Presumably all the ones that want to play short passing football, keeping possession, passing through the opposion and entertaining their supporters.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:08 am

It's been clear for a while players haven't been playing for him. He lost them ages ago, not sure he ever had some of them.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:48 am

In addition to poor tactics and no style of play he also failed to bring in the gritty midfielder we needed but we ended up with a centre back and striker.
I know Shaughnessy can play midfield but him and Bishop don't work together.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:04 am

On the basis of JD’s comments, I guess Mr Mellis can take up a new hobby.
Last edited by EdwinstoweStag on Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:06 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:It's been clear for a while players haven't been playing for him. He lost them ages ago, not sure he ever had some of them.

Hes just not helping himself by selecting players like Macca to play in centre mid.... played 99% of his career as a winger.

442 with two proper wingers, big cook up top with pacey CJ... get some points on the board
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:16 am

EdwinstoweStag wrote:On the basis of JD’s comments, I guess Mr Mellis can take up and hobby.

Well that won’t help his cause. You may get a good few results away from home with an industrious midfield consisting of the likes of Bishop, Macca, Tomlinson, but ultimately a midfield with that make-up will not be good enough over the course of the season, and will not get you promoted.

You’ve got to have some technical footballers in the side and have some balance. If those players have had enough of current tactics (speculation, admittedly) we can forget our aspirations for this season until the manager is replaced - but we know that anyway.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:56 am

what an absolute shocker, our midfield isn’t working !!!

can’t imagine how they worked that out

thought we might have drawn a line under this by Thursday tbh
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:08 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:what an absolute shocker, our midfield isn’t working !!!

even Bishop has been crap lately... Struggling to think of any of our centre mids who is top 3 standard.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby gavinbrookes » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Why is he still here?
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm

gavinbrookes wrote:Why is he still here?

Cos he IS, and JR is NOT
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:31 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:what an absolute shocker, our midfield isn’t working !!!

even Bishop has been crap lately... Struggling to think of any of our centre mids who is top 3 standard.

Our midfield, collectively, is mid-table standard in my opinion.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Well, on the midfield points. After the turn of the year we lost 2 midfielders in the January transfer window. Calum Butcher and Timi Elsnik. I've just looked at the player ratings on some random matches from last season and they both played some good parts of our more higher wins. Bishop was ever present and Mellis, Khan, MacDonald, Elsnik, Butcher and Atkinson all rotated around him.

Reading the ratings Khan and Elsnik delivered alot of quality set pieces that we either scored from or created opportunities from.

Couple that with Donohue getting sacked and no replacement. Timi Elsnik is available on a free transfer. Perhaps worth offering a deal? He's only 21 so could be signed fairly cheap. If we offer him a deal until Christmas a new manager could run the rule over him and release if needs be.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:43 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Well, on the midfield points. After the turn of the year we lost 2 midfielders in the January transfer window. Calum Butcher and Timi Elsnik. I've just looked at the player ratings on some random matches from last season and they both played some good parts of our more higher wins. Bishop was ever present and Mellis, Khan, MacDonald, Elsnik, Butcher and Atkinson all rotated around him.

Reading the ratings Khan and Elsnik delivered alot of quality set pieces that we either scored from or created opportunities from.

Couple that with Donohue getting sacked and no replacement. Timi Elsnik is available on a free transfer. Perhaps worth offering a deal? He's only 21 so could be signed fairly cheap. If we offer him a deal until Christmas a new manager could run the rule over him and release if needs be.

I'm sure JD has been asked about signing Elsnik and the deal is dead in the water. This was ages ago too.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:51 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:Well, on the midfield points. After the turn of the year we lost 2 midfielders in the January transfer window. Calum Butcher and Timi Elsnik. I've just looked at the player ratings on some random matches from last season and they both played some good parts of our more higher wins. Bishop was ever present and Mellis, Khan, MacDonald, Elsnik, Butcher and Atkinson all rotated around him.

I'm sure JD has been asked about signing Elsnik and the deal is dead in the water. This was ages ago too.

True, however he is still without a club. Perhaps his demands have changed.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:01 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Possibly, but it seems like Shaughnessy was brought in to play midfield and also cover at CB
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:05 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Possibly, but it seems like Shaughnessy was brought in to play midfield and also cover at CB

Again true. However, I mentioned at the time of Shaughnessy signing that 1 injury or suspension and he's back in defence and we need a midfielder. So now we either swap to a back 4 or we play a wing back in Central defence to keep Shaughnessy in midfield.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:21 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Again true. However, I mentioned at the time of Shaughnessy signing that 1 injury or suspension and he's back in defence and we need a midfielder. So now we either swap to a back 4 or we play a wing back in Central defence to keep Shaughnessy in midfield.

And in midfield he doesnt look owt special, in fact at Crawley he was woeful
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum