{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Big Decision to Make

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Big Decision to Make

Postby Jimstag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:48 am

With Dempster it’s seems a case of ‘careful what you wish for’, if changes are made we can’t afford for it to be the same again or we’ll be the next Notts County. That said it looks like there’s only 1 relegation place this season!
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:09 am

jake wrote:All these so called potential replacement managers have all got one thing in common, they are unemployed?
I wonder why???

Are you real?

Phil Parkinson is not unemployed due to Bolton’s position in L1
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:13 am

You wouldn't want Arsen Venger then???

I'd take his Coat
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:21 am

Foresttownstag wrote:
jake wrote:All these so called potential replacement managers have all got one thing in common, they are unemployed?
I wonder why???

Are you real?

Hasn't he got a promotion from this league and league one?
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:28 am

Sedgwick wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
I wonder why???

Are you real?

2 from League 1 and 1 from League 2 I think. He also took League 2 Bradford to the final of the League Cup, and once in League 1 he got them to the playoffs and an FA Cup quarter final after beating Chelsea away. Obviously Bradford are a huge club at this level, but still fair to say he has a good track record. Would be the best option available to us in my opinion.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:00 am

BH_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
I wonder why???

Are you real?

2 from League 1 and 1 from League 2 I think. He also took League 2 Bradford to the final of the League Cup, and once in League 1 he got them to the playoffs and an FA Cup quarter final after beating Chelsea away. Obviously Bradford are a huge club at this level, but still fair to say he has a good track record. Would be the best option available to us in my opinion.

On paper Parkinson is a good name. I am unsure if he plays the silky man city esque football a lot of fans want to see though!
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:03 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Foresttownstag wrote:
I wonder why???

Are you real?

On paper Parkinson is a good name. I am unsure if he plays the silky man city esque football a lot of fans want to see though!

Far from it. He wins games but it wouldn't be great to watch.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:08 am

Right now I'd take that type of football if it got us challenging for promotion and remove the prospect of derby games in the Conference next season
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:22 am

Disappointed to see he isn’t sacked yet.
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:24 am

marker_mtfc95 wrote:Disappointed to see he isn’t sacked yet.

It's only a matter of time.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:25 am

nick_stags wrote:

Results trump performances.

If you want attractive with no results then watch Arsenal.

It’s the winning that counts, not the taking part
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby hucknallstag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:31 am

Google parkinson style of play. Sounds fantastic!!! Not!!!
hucknallstag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby nick_stags » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:32 am

bellwhiff wrote:
nick_stags wrote:

I completely agree with you, but his style of play would divide opinion.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:35 am

nick_stags wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
nick_stags wrote:

As someone who is usually opposed to route one football, needs must at the moment unfortunately. Parkinson was successful at Bradford with Hanson and Wells. Cook and Maynard are pretty similar to those two.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:41 am

Anyway, successful top of league 2 longball isn't the same as Paul Cox Conference longball. And League 1 longball is better still. It might not be tippy tappy, but as you go higher up the leagues, direct passing is more skilled and easier to watch. I remember that Bradford team and seeing some of their goals and thinking it was pretty good compared to what I was used to from Mansfield. I'd take that now in a heartbeat.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:44 am

ParisStag wrote:Anyway, successful top of league 2 longball isn't the same as Paul Cox Conference longball. And League 1 longball is better still. It might not be tippy tappy, but as you go higher up the leagues, direct passing is more skilled and easier to watch. I remember that Bradford team and seeing some of their goals and thinking it was pretty good compared to what I was used to from Mansfield. I'd take that now in a heartbeat.

Me too Paris but seen on another thread that PP has apparently turned down both Lincoln and Southend in League 1.....if that's true why would he come to Field Mill ?
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:47 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
nick_stags wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
nick_stags wrote:

As someone who is usually opposed to route one football, needs must at the moment unfortunately. Parkinson was successful at Bradford with Hanson and Wells. Cook and Maynard are pretty similar to those two.

Very true point - the original post is correct as well - look at the Cowley's at Lincoln - route 1 football, not always attractive - promotion - us last season - lots of nice football (really decent stuff infact) - no promotion.

It certainly doesn't mean that these styles will always provide (or not) success but does prove that the long ball can work and/or mixing it up.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:48 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:
ParisStag wrote:Anyway, successful top of league 2 longball isn't the same as Paul Cox Conference longball. And League 1 longball is better still. It might not be tippy tappy, but as you go higher up the leagues, direct passing is more skilled and easier to watch. I remember that Bradford team and seeing some of their goals and thinking it was pretty good compared to what I was used to from Mansfield. I'd take that now in a heartbeat.

Me too Paris but seen on another thread that PP has apparently turned down both Lincoln and Southend in League 1.....if that's true why would he come to Field Mill ?

Yeah, I'm not for a minute suggesting that a manager of his quality would want to come here, I just mean that longball isn't the worst thing in the world if used effectively and we progress through the leagues with it.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:48 am

I don't think he has rejected Lincoln, just Southend. Southend look doomed, I'd say we're a better proposition. Also means moving down south.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:53 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:

Maybe he could look and see our solid foundations, training facilities, good youth set up and first team potential.
Plus a club that wouldn't implode and crumble around him.
Here's hoping.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:05 am

Looking at the league ranking of who we have played it worries me that we’ve got some tougher games to come.

I’ve been holding out hope that we would improve and to be fair the first 20/25mins looked promising last night but we really need a big improvement quickly or I predict Cambridge won’t be the only side scoring 4 goals past us! We can’t just fold when something goes against us as we seemed to last night!
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:07 am

Its a case now of really how much time and games JR and his board are willing to allow him
Its a gamble, leave him hoping he will turn it around...very unlikely with current set up
or sack asap and try to get the best manager he can to rescue us before we get away from the pack at the top..
The whole pre season and start has been flat, hard work and worrying but in JR we have faith and to be fair he did make a very very good appointment in Evans and had he stayed he would have got us up... hated and loathed as he was.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:09 am

I'm hoping they've given him a lye in out of sympathy. Worried there's been no announcement yet.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:10 am

Blackpoolshrimp wrote:If its an average league why aren't you walking it

You can have Bentley if you want

Quite a few managers going to get sacked in next few weeks

Stoke
Mansfield
Morecambe
Hearts
Hibernian

Morecambe would be insane to sack Jimbo. He's performed miracles keeping Morecambe in the league with one of the lowest budgets.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:10 am

I’m surprised to read Parkinson is a route one style manager, he would have been my first choice but with the attacking players in our squad I think it would be criminal not to try and appoint someone capable of utilising them.

The players are there to play exciting and attacking football, unfortunately JD is absolutely not the man to achieve it. To have a talent like Otis Khan not getting game time is infuriating. I would love to see Otis, CJ and Mellis in the same side and each of them given the license to express themselves. I’d seriously consider Steve Parkin as manager. His own preferred style of play was quick attacking football last time he was here. It shouldn’t be underestimated just what he achieved working with his hands tied, I’d love to see what he could achieve with our current squad. Whilst we are at it he could bring Tony Ford back and he’d probably still outrun most of League 2.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum