{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

"Champions" Form to "Bottom 4" Form

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

"Champions" Form to "Bottom 4" Form

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Last 25 League 2 games,

9th Feb 2019 to 21st Sept 2019
PLD...W...D...L....PTS....PPG
25.....7...7...11...28.....1.12 x46 = 52 (Bottom 4)

Shockingly poor, considering Stags playing budget.

Based on the last 25 League games the team as a whole are very overrated, and based on the budget very overpaid.

This seasons 10 points from 10 games is Stags worst start to a League 2 season since we returned to the Football League.

If this team was in a normal day job they would now be sat at home with their P45 in the post.

Whilst I believe this team have the ability to be in the Top 3, they've turned into a team with a book of hard luck stories!

:coys:
Last edited by KirkbyStag2 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Re: "Champions" Form to "Bottom 4" Form

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:16 pm

Evidence for those that need it, that this downturn in form does not coincide with the change of manager.

Mr Dempster did not inherit a team that was likely to smash the league under Mr Flitcroft had he not been sacked and he actually has to turn a losing team around.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:33 pm

The players aren’t good enough.

Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but the facts are clear these (expensive) players have failed to produce consistent football to the required standard.

Some of them for 3 managers.

Meanwhile the fan base blame everyone from the owner/CEO/manager/groundsmen

Time for the boys in Amber to take a long hard look at themselves.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Its a new season, with two ‘steller’ strikers signed in the summer.

Are we now saying JD took over a broken team?
BigGuy
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:47 pm

Don’t buy it - team are more than good enough, the root of the problem is the manager and consequently the tactics and general set up of the team.

I’m not going to be posting on social media constantly and shouting it at games but in my opinion he’s just not going to get good at this in time for a club like ourselves with high expectations and it’s only a matter of time, and that’s not just off the back of yesterday disappointing and slightly unfortunate defeat like some will suggest. We’ve won twice this season and both have still somehow been underwhelming.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:48 pm

But, what's changed so drastically that Stags have gone from Champions form to Bottom 4 form?

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:34 pm

For me the main problem has been since mcdonald came back from injury he has been slotted into central midfield and he wonders all over the pitch and leaves big holes in the middle of midfield and constantly gives the ball away other than lots of energy I don’t see what he gives the side. For me Karn should be in the central midfield with bishop.

CJ is made to play in any available position. Regardless if he has the ability to play in that position. His position is left wing.

Logan has a mistake or two in him every game. And wont command the box.

Constantly picking overly complicated formations rather then picking a formation that suits our players.

The tempo of play is far too slow. Until they go behind.

Negative formations if they go in front and try to hang on in their own box. With no one up the pitch for an outlet.

Defending set peace’s everyone is back.

Going forward is far too slow with too few players going forward.

For me we have the players for a 442.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby spstag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Evidence for those that need it, that this downturn in form does not coincide with the change of manager.

Mr Dempster did not inherit a team that was likely to smash the league under Mr Flitcroft had he not been sacked and he actually has to turn a losing team around.

Evidence though of my topic thread

It’s started failing rapidly and we still persist!
Why??
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby spstag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:51 pm

We’re playing Mansfield.. they play 352 it’s very predictable,
They hardly change it,
Cmon guys let’s shake it up !
spstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:57 pm

spstag wrote:We’re playing Mansfield.. they play 352 it’s very predictable,
They hardly change it,
Cmon guys let’s shake it up !

Change ...... would necessitate JD doing something. Hmmmm.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:01 pm

why doesn't a reporter put this to our manager and ask him?

I've only heard only decent interview this season from Stevo.

Apathy is spreading fast throughout the club and fan base, we need a rallying call from the players.

Tuesday stand up like men and show us what you can do.

JD play to our strengths and we will smash this league

COYS
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:12 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:If you look at Stags last 46 League games, we've gone from "Champions" form to "Bottom 4" form.

29th Sept 2018 to 02 Feb 2019
PLD...W....D...L....PTS....PPG
23....13....8...2....47.....2.04 x46 = 94 (Champions)

9th Feb 2019 to 14th Sept 2019
PLD...W....D...L....PTS....PPG
23.....7.....6..10....27....1.17 x46 = 54 (Bottom 4)

The above form is not a "blip" it's over 23 games, half a season.

But, what's changed so drastically that Stags have gone from Champions form to Bottom 4 form?

as i've said on another thread they are a bunch of spunkless bottlers
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Beano wrote:The players aren’t good enough.

Unpopular opinion I’m sure, but the facts are clear these (expensive) players have failed to produce consistent football to the required standard.

Some of them for 3 managers.

Meanwhile the fan base blame everyone from the owner/CEO/manager/groundsmen

Time for the boys in Amber to take a long hard look at themselves.

But we have the Hymas plan, so no need to worry.
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:38 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:But, what's changed so drastically that Stags have gone from Champions form to Bottom 4 form?

Kirby arguably one the best performance of last season was against Bury at home the team consisted of:

Logan,
White, Preston, Pearce, Sweeney, Benning.
Bishop, Mellis, Elsnik,
Walker, Hamilton.

White - Not featured much since Feb huge loss
Mellis - Heads gone due to off field issues?
Elsnik - Pushed out for George Grant (however never replaced the central role)
Walker - Arguably replaced by Maynard
Hamilton - The guy needs simple instructions in a settled position as his pace is his biggest asset. Only position not played is keeper :roll:

Subs:
Rose - Enjoying the long ball approach this season
Graham - Gone MIA
Atkinson - Replaceable

Team yesterday included:
Gordon
Macca
Shaughnessy

I love Macca don't get me wrong but when he's played in the Centre of the park we struggle plain and simple (started when DF came into the role). Our problem and has been since the new year is the quality of player in the Centre of the park. Too early to say if Conor will solve this but our problems stem from there.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:33 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:But, what's changed so drastically that Stags have gone from Champions form to Bottom 4 form?

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:53 am

Last 25 League 2 games,

Based on the last 25 League games the team as a whole are very overrated, and based on the budget very overpaid.

This seasons 10 points from 10 games is Stags worst start to a League 2 season since we returned to the Football League.

If this team was in a normal day job they would now be sat at home with their P45 in the post.

Whilst I believe this team have the ability to be in the Top 3, they've turned into a team with a book of hard luck stories!

KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:11 am

Incredibly poor statistics. I’m completely despondent with us at the moment. The capitulation at the back end of the last 2 seasons, coupled with the awful start this season is so frustrating. Yesterday summed us up as a club... it looks like everything’s going well, a bit of hope builds up, then right at the end we let it slip.

We need to grow a back bone and get back to back wins ASAP to inject some life in to this season which is threatening to just pass us by without us making any real go of it. Plymouth (H) and Grimsby (A) aren’t easy fixtures but 6 points is what’s needed.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 am

KirkbyStag2 wrote:Last 25 League 2 games,

Don't worry Gazzas on Footy Manager working it all out
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:12 pm

KirkbyStag2 wrote:

Personally, i feel something went off during January (whether it be transfer related or youth or whatever), and whatever toxic seed was sown is sprouting into this poisonous sapling. Whatever it is still persists, because imo this team is easily playoff material. I suspect the Radford's absence may mean this problem is being left unchecked

I have no basis for my theory other than scurrilous assumption, but that's often more than i usually have! :P
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby MutinyOnTheCounty » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Conker wrote:Don’t buy it - team are more than good enough, the root of the problem is the manager and consequently the tactics and general set up of the team.

I’m not going to be posting on social media constantly and shouting it at games but in my opinion he’s just not going to get good at this in time for a club like ourselves with high expectations and it’s only a matter of time, and that’s not just off the back of yesterday disappointing and slightly unfortunate defeat like some will suggest. We’ve won twice this season and both have still somehow been underwhelming.

Agree Conks, imo we have the quality of player to be up there, but not the application of it during the game. A galvanised squad that is playing for each other would soon seen us pick up results.

One thing it's hopefully debunked is the 'anyone but X' or 'anyone can mange a team of this quality' myths that have occasionally sprung up
If i look in pain it's because i'm thinking
MutinyOnTheCounty
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Evidence for those that need it, that this downturn in form does not coincide with the change of manager.

Flitcroft May have made improvement in the close season ,so that defeats that argument .
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:32 pm

MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:

Personally, i feel something went off during January (whether it be transfer related or youth or whatever), and whatever toxic seed was sown is sprouting into this poisonous sapling. Whatever it is still persists, because imo this team is easily playoff material. I suspect the Radford's absence may mean this problem is being left unchecked

I have no basis for my theory other than scurrilous assumption, but that's often more than i usually have! :P

What went off was White getting injured. Folk say it is only one man, but people don't realise how much effect he has on this team.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martian » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:45 pm

Once we get Bobby back in goal it will all change
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amberheart » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:56 pm

That’s a very valid point
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:00 pm

part time pete wrote:
MutinyOnTheCounty wrote:
KirkbyStag2 wrote:

What went off was White getting injured. Folk say it is only one man, but people don't realise how much effect he has on this team.

True but around the same time we also upset the balance of the team during the winter transfer window by signing Grant and Ajose on loan.
At the time it seemed to be progressive, exciting and the catalyst for automatic promotion but in hindsight this gamble did not work.
We turned the numerous draws from the first half of the season (just one loss) into a few wins but we had too many losses as the balance of the team was upset and we were weaker in the ugly side of the game (when out of possession) that we excelled during the last half of 2018.
We were winning most at home but away form disintegrated and we ended up losing 9 more games with mid table form.
Did we panic after the defeats at Carlisle and Newport? Maybe or maybe not but this shows up the perils and fine margins of managing a team?
It shows that team spirit and a settled team are worth more than most appreciate.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum