{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

CJ Hamilton

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: CJ Hamilton

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:33 pm

Beano wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:By simple I mean there seems to be a thousand different formations, including triangles, diamonds, rectangles etc, when in reality there isn’t more than a handful. It’s definitely over complicated imo. You only have to see how complicated Sky or BBC make it seem, drawing circles and lines and yet it’s simpler than even that. Keeps em in a job I suppose!!! Yes times change and soon even today’s popular formations will be out thought and replaced, but it can’t change much.

Couldn’t agree more, listening to modern commentators reeling a list of numbers (which often don’t even add up!) in an attempt to over complicate one of the worlds most straight forward games is laughable.

I've been having the same argument with Martin for years :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:57 pm

It's not a simple game. Good managers and good players may make it look simple, but it's not.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby tuopolfpilf » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Never seen a manager succeed putting square pegs in round holes ,
A manager should look at what is available to him and decide the best formation it fits , not Visa versa and fit players into a formation.
What is the best formation for the squad available to JD ?
CJ's best position?
We may all have different opinions, but I think most fans would have CJ in the starting line up
tuopolfpilf
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:34 pm

tuopolfpilf wrote:Never seen a manager succeed putting square pegs in round holes ,
A manager should look at what is available to him and decide the best formation it fits , not Visa versa and fit players into a formation.
What is the best formation for the squad available to JD ?
CJ's best position?
We may all have different opinions, but I think most fans would have CJ in the starting line up

And rooted to the left-wing, naturally covering for Mal when he pushes on.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:10 pm

[quote="FarnieStag"]Why do managers try to make such a simple game so complicated? Just play 4 at the back with two wingers, with left footed CJ on the left wing
This 3 at the back (which we all know is really 5 or 6) is just so misguided when using div 4 players[/quote]

It ain’t just division 4 mate. All the trendy hip young coaches try to tell you that 3 at the back is the only way to go these days. It’s bull.

Man City - Champions, FA Cup and League Cup winners
Liverpool - European Champions
Portugal- Euro 16 Champions
France - World Champions

Common factor, all have a back four.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:38 pm

tuopolfpilf wrote:We may all have different opinions, but I think most fans would have CJ in the starting line up

100% agree with that but I'm not sure "most fans" agree having seen some of the suggested team line ups with CJ on the bench. :lol:

I thought CJ had a good game at Crawley (apart from the bad back pass). He was a much better defender than Kellan Gordon against the highly rated David Sesay who could not get past him due to CJ's pace. CJ also got forward and had a good shot on goal. When CJ moved further forward after Mal Benning came on then Sesay got subbed.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:39 am

Big yella wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:Why do managers try to make such a simple game so complicated? Just play 4 at the back with two wingers, with left footed CJ on the left wing
This 3 at the back (which we all know is really 5 or 6) is just so misguided when using div 4 players[/quote]

It ain’t just division 4 mate. All the trendy hip young coaches try to tell you that 3 at the back is the only way to go these days. It’s bull.

France - World Champions

All of them rely on having a top class defensive midfielder to allow the full backs to push forwards. It could be argued that Man City never play four at the back!
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Big yella » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 am

halifaxstag wrote:
Big yella wrote:
FarnieStag wrote:Why do managers try to make such a simple game so complicated? Just play 4 at the back with two wingers, with left footed CJ on the left wing

France - World Champions

All of them rely on having a top class defensive midfielder to allow the full backs to push forwards. It could be argued that Man City never play four at the back!

I agree they have a top class defensive midfielder, however like all positions, that quality becomes relative as you move down the pyramid.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:26 am

I drink Fridays in local with the dad of prem and England player. Was with them both Sunday watching Arsenal game, The player said you are only as good with decent players around you .
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:04 pm

The One wrote:I drink Fridays in local with the dad of prem and England player. Was with them both Sunday watching Arsenal game, The player said you are only as good with decent players around you .

Clang.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:49 pm

James wrote:
The One wrote:I drink Fridays in local with the dad of prem and England player. Was with them both Sunday watching Arsenal game, The player said you are only as good with decent players around you .

Clang.

Is that the lads way of saying ‘when I have a bad game it isn’t my fault.?
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:19 pm

Big yella wrote:

France - World Champions

City often play with two wingbacks.
Liverpool often change to three at the back when Trent & Robertson go bombing forward

Tifo football did a great video about how they start in one formation and it changes many times through out the 90...

What would be best is to look at our squad and look who the best players are...arguably CJ, Maynard, Khan? Build a side around them, exactly what France did with mbappe, pogba, Griezmann.

---------Maynard/cook

--CJ---------Khan-------Gordon

------Bishop----o'shaughnessy

Mal----Pearce---- Preston--- White

--------------Bobby

This would rely on Khan getting forward more, creating and scoring goals.
Mal and white to get forward, o'shaughnessy to know when to drop back
Cj to drift in when Mal bombs forward etc

I think this would be a team hard to beat and should create going forward.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:56 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:Do we really have to keep discussing the same bleeding topic week in week out? One week CJ will have a good game and will be the best ever thing to come from Mansfield, then he'll have a poor game and he's back in the firing line. :lol:

But if the subject is Logan.....

Yawn
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:07 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Do we really have to keep discussing the same bleeding topic week in week out? One week CJ will have a good game and will be the best ever thing to come from Mansfield, then he'll have a poor game and he's back in the firing line. :lol:

Yawn

I thought you were on holiday for a few weeks?
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:09 pm

NorthLondonStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Yawn

I got back this morning.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:13 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Yawn

I got back this morning.
y

Hope you are feeling refreshed and relaxed.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:15 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Big yella wrote:

France - World Champions

Liverpool often change to three at the back when Trent & Robertson go bombing forward

Tifo football did a great video about how they start in one formation and it changes many times through out the 90...

What would be best is to look at our squad and look who the best players are...arguably CJ, Maynard, Khan? Build a side around them, exactly what France did with mbappe, pogba, Griezmann.

---------Maynard/cook

--------------Bobby

Thing is you can't leave out Rose at the minute. He's in good form (granted he wasn't at his best on Saturday) he's surprised everyone. Let's face it he's score 6 league goals in 8 league appearances. If someone had said that he'd bang 5 in in his first 4 games you'd have been laughed at. Some would have just laughed at the thought and some would say "I see Danny as having a role here, but get real" he's been phenomenal.

Also as they are bombing forwards and getting crosses in. It'll be maynard/cook competing for it. Maybe Khan too if he gets up there. There's a spare defender or 2. I just feel that 4-5-1 would see us drop too easily into defensive mode and isolate whoever is up front. We've seen it time and again. Alot of formations work in theory it just depends what the opposition do to counter what you are doing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:23 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Big yella wrote:

France - World Champions

---------Maynard/cook

--------------Bobby

Definetely agree with this side ,let other teams worry about us
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:27 pm

bellwhiff wrote:

Yawn

I never really comment on Logan anymore, because I know he's a goalkeeper at this level who will have good games and bad games. Like most players in league two. I certainly don't slag him off when we lose though.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:17 pm

Khan seems to be fading into the background or faded out again after a very hopeful and good pre season when he looked fit and up for the challenge.
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
NorthLondonStag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

Yawn

I got back this morning.
y

Hope you are feeling refreshed and relaxed.

Thanks. I am. Smashed out over 5600 miles on a round robin from Chicago to LA then San Francisco and then back to Chicago via Denver and Kansas.

Not looking forward to work tomorrow

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:47 pm

bellwhiff wrote:Not looking forward to work tomorrow

Bet your colleagues aren't either :lol:
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Sedgwick wrote:
Big yella wrote:

France - World Champions

Tifo football did a great video about how they start in one formation and it changes many times through out the 90....

No. No. No.

All you are saying is that they play four at the back and when the full backs go forward the defensive midfielder does his job and covers them. They can try and tart it up to make it look like they’re a revolutionary of tactics, but that is all that is happening. Just like Bremner did in the 60’s and 70’s at Leeds, there’s nothing new about it.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:48 pm

Big yella wrote:
Sedgwick wrote:
Big yella wrote:

France - World Champions

Tifo football did a great video about how they start in one formation and it changes many times through out the 90....

No. No. No.

All you are saying is that they play four at the back and when the full backs go forward the defensive midfielder does his job and covers them. They can try and tart it up to make it look like they’re a revolutionary of tactics, but that is all that is happening. Just like Bremner did in the 60’s and 70’s at Leeds, there’s nothing new about it.

Did you used to be in The Vicar of Dibley :D
The One
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum