{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Creepy v stags ,scorefred ,sponsored by spanish cerveza

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Creepy v stags ,scorefred ,sponsored by spanish cerveza

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Can’t actually believe how bad Rose’s first touch was when Maynard sent him clean through. Embarrassing. That and him not slipping Maynard in in the second half cost us the game. Came down to Rose today.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:25 pm

Should have hit it first time. It was all teed up and he fifty p’d it straight to the keeper.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:46 pm

It's a results driven industry NLS. Dempster has been shopping at Harrods this summer while most his contemporaries have been shopping in Debenhams.

He has all the resources, he picked the team and told them how to play. Buck stops with him. He has to go.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:03 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:It's a results driven industry NLS. Dempster has been shopping at Harrods this summer while most his contemporaries have been shopping in Debenhams.

He has all the resources, he picked the team and told them how to play. Buck stops with him. He has to go.

It is Arsene, but:

(A) I get less depressed about losing if we play OK. Because I can see we will win games playing like that.

(b) we go (partly) to be entertained (at some level). I’ve accepted that we aren’t ever going to be a premier league team, probably not even a championship team, so we will always lose games. I took my sons today and they enjoyed it. That was
Something.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby Foresttownstag » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:45 pm

Slightly off topic but just seen the crowd, 1,700 home fans :shock:
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:20 pm

I have not been to the game or watched the highlights yet but I just saw this stat on twitter

Most EFL shots today:
24 Rotherham
20 Exeter
20 Mansfield
19 Walsall
18 Blackpool
18 Crawley
18 QPR
18 Reading
17 Fulham

Was it an open game?
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby NorthLondonStag » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:30 pm

It was a good, entertaining and open game (of course a poor result). There were 39 shots, 20 for Mansfield (according to BBC). Result aside, well worth the trip. A good league 2 game.
NorthLondonStag
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:09 am

The main idea behind leagues is you are facing teams of similar ability. We were expected to gain promotion. Teams like morcembe etc are expected to struggle. Those that are expected to struggle can raise their game against the "big guns" of the league and they tend to raise their game, sometimes its still not enough but sometimes it is.

There's an old adage in football "there are no easy games" which you can find examples of supposed "easy" games where the side that was expected to win drew or lost.

Look at yesterday. The result most of the footballing world are talking about. Norwich beat man City, their first loss since January. There are no easy games. We need to get out of the "Luton mindset" that we should smash everybody we face "because we are better"
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:15 am

gazza1988 wrote:The main idea behind leagues is you are facing teams of similar ability. We were expected to gain promotion. Teams like morcembe etc are expected to struggle. Those that are expected to struggle can raise their game against the "big guns" of the league and they tend to raise their game, sometimes its still not enough but sometimes it is.

There's an old adage in football "there are no easy games" which you can find examples of supposed "easy" games where the side that was expected to win drew or lost.

Look at yesterday. The result most of the footballing world are talking about. Norwich beat man City, their first loss since January. There are no easy games. We need to get out of the "Luton mindset" that we should smash everybody we face "because we are better"

Spot on with the Luton mindset comment. We all hated their fans for their 'too big for this league' attitude and we've got it on here now. I know the owners keep saying 'project promotion' but a project is over a long period of time.

We will get it right eventually but we can't expect to show up every game, play dazzling football whilst keeping clean sheets and smashing every team because that just won't happen and it's not realistic for league two.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:27 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:The main idea behind leagues is you are facing teams of similar ability. We were expected to gain promotion. Teams like morcembe etc are expected to struggle. Those that are expected to struggle can raise their game against the "big guns" of the league and they tend to raise their game, sometimes its still not enough but sometimes it is.

Spot on with the Luton mindset comment. We all hated their fans for their 'too big for this league' attitude and we've got it on here now. I know the owners keep saying 'project promotion' but a project is over a long period of time.

We will get it right eventually but we can't expect to show up every game, play dazzling football whilst keeping clean sheets and smashing every team because that just won't happen and it's not realistic for league two.

But we can expect to turn up and see some football, not the negative dog raspberry at present
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:31 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

We’ve gone out and bought players in aka Maynard , Cook , which would have been out of reach financially for over three quarters of the clubs in this league , so rightfully the manager is coming under increasing pressure stats being quoted above mean nothing the only stat that matters is points on the board before project promotion turns into project consolidation .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:35 am

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

But we can expect to turn up and see some football, not the negative dog raspberry at present

But Luton fans were right. They were division 1, then they were non league after a points deduction, now they are in the championship (division 1). They were below their historical station.

We are at our historical station, but I dont know what's more depressing, being a bog standard L2 side under Dempster or some fans willingness to readily accept bog standard.

Personally I want to see us being a team that is in and around the League 1 playoffs come every April. That is where we should aim to be.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:58 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

But Luton fans were right. They were division 1, then they were non league after a points deduction, now they are in the championship (division 1). They were below their historical station.

We are at our historical station, but I dont know what's more depressing, being a bog standard L2 side under Dempster or some fans willingness to readily accept bog standard.

Personally I want to see us being a team that is in and around the League 1 playoffs come every April. That is where we should aim to be.

Agree with this. It appears to me there are a lot of fans that are just very comfortable with where we are at, and don’t have any real desire to see us progress because ‘this has always been our level’ - it’s the easy option just to think that and just gloss over it, but surely the whole point is to progress? And I mean real progression, promotion type of progression. The fact we haven’t had a solid stint in league one for so long is pretty rubbish. We’ve seen clubs like Rotherham and Doncaster who we used to compete with go on and even get to the Championship, and then establish themselves as top end league 1 clubs and grow on and off the field with new stadiums and increased attendances. This is what we should be aiming for and I’m sure is what JR is aiming for. He’s pumping a lot of money in to do that, which we are all very grateful for, but it’s why people are disgruntled with what’s currently unfolding. There’s a level of expectation to live up to now after being so close last season.

Some fans seem relatively content with playing poor football (for the most part),scraping draws against Morecambe, and getting beat by Crawley, with a rookie manager in charge just because he did a decent job with the youth team. Others aren’t because it won’t see us progress.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:03 am

BH_Stag wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Agree with this. It appears to me there are a lot of fans that are just very comfortable with where we are at, and don’t have any real desire to see us progress because ‘this has always been our level’ - it’s the easy option just to think that and just gloss over it, but surely the whole point is to progress? And I mean real progression, promotion type of progression. The fact we haven’t had a solid stint in league one for so long is pretty rubbish. We’ve seen clubs like Rotherham and Doncaster who we used to compete with go on and even get to the Championship, and then establish themselves as top end league 1 clubs and grow on and off the field with new stadiums and increased attendances. This is what we should be aiming for and I’m sure is what JR is aiming for. He’s pumping a lot of money in to do that, which we are all very grateful for, but it’s why people are disgruntled with what’s currently unfolding. There’s a level of expectation to live up to now after being so close last season.

Some fans seem relatively content with playing poor football (for the most part),scraping draws against Morecambe, and getting beat by Crawley, with a rookie manager in charge just because he did a decent job with the youth team. Others aren’t because it won’t see us progress.

Totally agree with the last two posts in this thread but would add that if you go for promotion you might get play offs....play offs should give you safety but settling for mid to lower table mediocrity can so quickly end up in the Conference. Let's please not take that chance
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:19 am

The issue here is the owners / directors decision making. They want promotion, they've done everything they can do help the club achieve that in recent seasons. They've assembled an expensive train set but now amazingly let a total novice look after it.

The appointment of a total rookie, because he was the easy option is proving already to be an expensive mistake. We know they are well intentioned but the sooner they correct this the better. If they wont then they need to temper expectations before things get ugly.

Had we been a mid table side with a mid table budget, struggling along and not really getting any traction year after year, you could argue a rookie appointment is worth a go. We weren't in that position.

We have a manager who prior to the season start had never even coached an adult side. The appointment is baffling but not just because hes a rookie. Because hes uninspiring, wants to draw every game and clearly hasn't got any new or fresh ideas. This is what happens when you appoint a friend, family member or take the easy option. Had JD been clearly a good up and coming gaffer with ideas and a winning mentality it might have worked but every nterview he does tells you hes not that, hes the opposite.

JDs management career is going to be over before it really starts and there'll be no way back once this ends. Hes blowing the biggest opportunity he might ever get by doing a Murray and being far to negative. He needs to wake up and fast.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:51 am

Jamie wrote:The issue here is the owners / directors decision making. They want promotion, they've done everything they can do help the club achieve that in recent seasons. They've assembled an expensive train set but now amazingly let a total novice look after it.

The appointment of a total rookie, because he was the easy option is proving already to be an expensive mistake. We know they are well intentioned but the sooner they correct this the better. If they wont then they need to temper expectations before things get ugly.

Had we been a mid table side with a mid table budget, struggling along and not really getting any traction year after year, you could argue a rookie appointment is worth a go. We weren't in that position.

We have a manager who prior to the season start had never even coached an adult side. The appointment is baffling but not just because hes a rookie. Because hes uninspiring, wants to draw every game and clearly hasn't got any new or fresh ideas. This is what happens when you appoint a friend, family member or take the easy option. Had JD been clearly a good up and coming gaffer with ideas and a winning mentality it might have worked but every nterview he does tells you hes not that, hes the opposite.

JDs management career is going to be over before it really starts and there'll be no way back once this ends. Hes blowing the biggest opportunity he might ever get by doing a Murray and being far to negative. He needs to wake up and fast.

We are lucky to have the owners. At times though I think they make it difficult for themselves by making statements that we are going to bust the league and we are aiming for the Championship.

Have the Radford's actually said promotion is the goal this season? I would say they have given that impression by saying they are fully backing JD.

After two exciting seasons of chasing promotion, maybe we ought to reign in the expectations a little. I include the Radford's expectations in that.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BigGuy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:59 am

Yes, once again....

At a pre-season forum JD said the chairman has targeted promotion this season and bringing youth through.

It wasn’t an answer of he had time to build etc, promotion this season was the words.
BigGuy
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby thefamilyvontrapp » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Jamie wrote:The issue here is the owners / directors decision making. They want promotion, they've done everything they can do help the club achieve that in recent seasons. They've assembled an expensive train set but now amazingly let a total novice look after it.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS...
Well put Jamie, perfectly summed up!
thefamilyvontrapp
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:00 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

How we're Luton fans right? That deduction was 11 years ago. They've gone down once and promoted 3 times. That's 4 seasons. They were dead wrong the other 7.

It's not a case of settling. The season is still young, there is a notable difference to how we are expected to defend compared to last season, something had to change as we were "found out" a number of times (luckily we could also score). We keep the side settled defensively I expect us to start picking up wins again.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:14 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

How we're Luton fans right? That deduction was 11 years ago. They've gone down once and promoted 3 times. That's 4 seasons. They were dead wrong the other 7.

It's not a case of settling. The season is still young, there is a notable difference to how we are expected to defend compared to last season, something had to change as we were "found out" a number of times (luckily we could also score). We keep the side settled defensively I expect us to start picking up wins again.

Put your football manager head on again Gazza and tell us and JD what midfield he should play/ by pass, I'm sure he'll be grateful?
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:51 pm

I watched the Crawley game on iFollow last night and I thought the Stags were very unlucky to lose. We deserved at least a draw with the chances we created and if we had taken one of our chances in the 1st half then we could have won the game. It was just a shame that our player of the season to date decided to have his worst game of the season.

Whilst I was watching the game I thought "Is this our best away performance in the terms of chances created since Exeter, Colchester or Stevenage away last season?" We certainly created a lot more chances than we did against Franchise FC, Northampton, Notts County, Newport etc.

The xG result on Experimental 3-6-1 was Crawley Town 2 Mansfield Town 1.9

Out of interest I looked at the xG results for all the away games last season and our highest xG was 1.8 against Exeter City, Port Vale (surprising) and Stevenage.

If you are looking for positives then I would not mind if we carry on creating the same number of chances away from home for the rest of the season. If we find our shooting boots then we should win more than we lose.

xGs from away games last season

MK Dons 0.5
Exeter City 1.8
Northampton Town 0.7
Crawley Town 0.6
Port Vale 1.8
Notts County 0.9
Newport County 0.9
Forest Green Rovers 0.7
Colchester United 1.1
Carlisle United 0.9
Grimsby Town 1.6
Stevenage 1.8
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:30 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
Woodclanger 1 wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

How were they wrong? Like it or not they've had 3 promotions in 5 years. When we played them over the conference years and in L2, some of their fans may have had a superiority complex, but if we look at the tables now, you'll see us as a lower/mid L2 side, and them as a lower/mid Championship side. This is evidence that their 'big club mentality', might have been justified all along, as much as you might not like it.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:11 pm

So basically we can claim to be gods gift to football and be justified for thinking that if we get to the championship in 11 years?

Give me a break. Where they are right now is irrelevant compared to their fans behaviour all those years ago. Doesn't mean you can expect to walk a league, winning 46 league games in a season, because the chairman has pumped some money in.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum