{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Creepy v stags ,scorefred ,sponsored by spanish cerveza

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Creepy v stags ,scorefred ,sponsored by spanish cerveza

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:33 pm

The One wrote:
ParisStag wrote:You've got to be adaptable to different styles and not just stubbornly play your own and hope it'll work. Certain teams are set up to punish attacking teams.

Crawley's ability to break wide will punish our wing-backs if they stray into attacking positions and don't get back. We need to either play 442 or be very disciplined in this one. Hoofball may just be the answer!

If hoofball wins matches we may as well give up, and yes I remember Rhead.
Its awful to watch. Yes, I want promotion but equally I want to be entertained. At my age you get neck ache watching hoof ball :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:10 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:It worked for Lincoln. And it worked for us winning the title.

You are not being fair to Paul Cox there Bobby and it shows that fans have selective memories. We did not generally play direct under Paul Cox when we won the Conference Premier especially when we won 20 out of 23 games at the end of the season. We always played with two wingers (not wing backs!) with Paul Cox picking two from three wingers from Louis Briscoe, Lindon Meikle and Junior Daniel which meant that we were pretty exciting to watch when we were on the front foot. They could actually run forward with the ball and break defensive lines. Matt Green played on his own up front with Lee Stevenson in the hole behind him. Matt Rhead generally came on as a sub. Matt Green was not a target man and we would not have got anywhere just smashing long balls up to him. A lot of Matt Green's goals came from good through balls for him to run on to. We had Adam Murray and Anthony Howell/Adam Chapman in centre midfield. We also did not use the long throw too much in the 2nd half of the season as Big Ex only started one game after January. Set pieces were important though as Luke Jones' goals from corners and free kicks were vital. JD was the other centre half.

One of Paul Cox's biggest mistakes (as I mentioned to him the other week) was that when we were promoted to the EFL he lost confidence in a back four after being beaten at Scunthorpe and Tranmere in the League Cup. He particularly lost faith in James Jennings at left back. He therefore reverted to five at the back but he did not have genuine wing backs. If he'd had the likes of CJ Hamilton, Mal Benning and Hayden White as wing backs with Greeny up front then it might have been a different story. 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1 was a killer for genuine wide players like Louis Briscoe, Lindon Meikle and Junior Daniel which meant they were hardly given a chance in League 2. Junior Daniel (18 starts) should have been played at left wing back instead of James Jennings (32 starts). Lindon Meikle only made 2 starts and Louis Briscoe did not start one league game which was a great shame as both would have run through a brick wall for Paul Cox. He ended up playing Lee Beevers (24 starts) and Ritchie Sutton (35 starts) on the right in defence who were both back to basics defenders and not genuine wing backs who had the pace to get forward and be an attacking threat.

The following season Paul Cox had his playing budget halved to around £800,000 which was nearly the lowest in League 2 and he was eventually hounded out by the fans when realistically if he had kept us in League 2 in Jim Bentley/Morecambe style then he would have done a good job. He finished up having a better record than Adam Murray that season.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Re: Creepy v stags ,can we make it two in a row

Postby Martian » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:05 am

Spiritater wrote:
spanishstag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:is this the scorefred or just a question?

Changed it for ya

You'll go far. :D

he'd go further if he got the spaces and commas right

back to the start - 2-2 - and lucky with it
Martian
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby James » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:12 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:It worked for Lincoln. And it worked for us winning the title.

You are not being fair to Paul Cox there Bobby and it shows that fans have selective memories. We did not generally play direct under Paul Cox when we won the Conference Premier especially when we won 20 out of 23 games at the end of the season. We always played with two wingers (not wing backs!) with Paul Cox picking two from three wingers from Louis Briscoe, Lindon Meikle and Junior Daniel which meant that we were pretty exciting to watch when we were on the front foot. They could actually run forward with the ball and break defensive lines. Matt Green played on his own up front with Lee Stevenson in the hole behind him. Matt Rhead generally came on as a sub. Matt Green was not a target man and we would not have got anywhere just smashing long balls up to him. A lot of Matt Green's goals came from good through balls for him to run on to. We had Adam Murray and Anthony Howell/Adam Chapman in centre midfield. We also did not use the long throw too much in the 2nd half of the season as Big Ex only started one game after January. Set pieces were important though as Luke Jones' goals from corners and free kicks were vital. JD was the other centre half.

One of Paul Cox's biggest mistakes (as I mentioned to him the other week) was that when we were promoted to the EFL he lost confidence in a back four after being beaten at Scunthorpe and Tranmere in the League Cup. He particularly lost faith in James Jennings at left back. He therefore reverted to five at the back but he did not have genuine wing backs. If he'd had the likes of CJ Hamilton, Mal Benning and Hayden White as wing backs with Greeny up front then it might have been a different story. 3-5-2 or 3-4-2-1 was a killer for genuine wide players like Louis Briscoe, Lindon Meikle and Junior Daniel which meant they were hardly given a chance in League 2. Junior Daniel (18 starts) should have been played at left wing back instead of James Jennings (32 starts). Lindon Meikle only made 2 starts and Louis Briscoe did not start one league game which was a great shame as both would have run through a brick wall for Paul Cox. He ended up playing Lee Beevers (24 starts) and Ritchie Sutton (35 starts) on the right in defence who were both back to basics defenders and not genuine wing backs who had the pace to get forward and be an attacking threat.

The following season Paul Cox had his playing budget halved to around £800,000 which was nearly the lowest in League 2 and he was eventually hounded out by the fans when realistically if he had kept us in League 2 in Jim Bentley/Morecambe style then he would have done a good job. He finished up having a better record than Adam Murray that season.

Thanks Paul, you had some good honest boys i'll give you that.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:15 am

Paul Cox was a great manager for us but to suggest he didn't play direct isn't right. Not always smash it long to a big man but it certainly was direct balls into the final third as quickly as possible (either into Green or the channels) and then build from there.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:20 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:

Spot on

I think most people think under cox it was hoof to Rhead and knock on to green and finish... and I can only really remember the Hereford away game where we did that.. obviously we scored a few that way but most goals came from through balls and out wide when we won the league. We played some alright football when you watch the goals and highlights back. No wonder we won the league, we were far better than the rest and would of been out of sight if we had a good start. However in the league it was nothing but aimless direct balls forward.
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby steiner » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:36 am

shame we didnt adapt quicker to life back in the league under coxie cause i really liked the bloke,
will always be up there with smithy and greavsie as my fav stags managers over the decades simply for bagging the conf title in the after xmas blitzkrieg style he achieved it.
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby FarnieStag » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:55 am

Paul Cox was at Field Mill on Saturday. We were sat next to him in Upper West near Quarry Lane end. I've always found him to be a thoroughly decent bloke, very friendly and always happy to chat. He stayed in his seat at half time which I thought a little odd though - maybe he no longer enjoys the Radford's hospitality and favour? He was also taking notes, so maybe doing some scouting?
I would have loved to have seen him being given more financial support when we were in League 2 as I'm pretty sure he would have got us promoted again if he'd have had a Maynard, Walker or Green. We had very little firepower in the seasons following promotion. I know his style isn't everyone's cup of tea but under Cox there seemed to be far more team spirit and fight then we've seen under either Flitcroft or JD - other teams really knew they'd been in a fight when they came to the Mill
FarnieStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:08 am

Matt Rhead only made 10(23) league starts in the Conference Premier and he was our very useful and effective Plan B. DF could have done with him last season.

If we had kept Matt Green then I think we would have made the play offs on our first season back in the EFL which would have matched the Cowleys at Lincoln but then for one reason or another JR had to cut back big time on his funding which meant survival in League 2 was the priority rather than promotion.

How would Paul Cox have got on if he could have signed the likes of John Akinde, Jason Shackell, Bruno Andrade, Harry Toffolo, Shay McCarten and Tom Pett in his second season in the EFL to add to Sam Clucas, Ryan Tafazolli, Reggie Lambe, Junior Daniel, Jamie McGuire, Alan Marriott, Ollie Palmer, Vadaine Oliver, Kieron Freeman etc? Lucas Akins was another player he wanted to sign.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:34 am

Martian wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

Changed it for ya

Lifes too short to worry about spaces ,and commas ,i have not done too bad without worrying about them ,retired at 52 and living the dream in my own villa with my own pool and learning the complexities of the spanish tongue ,now there is a challenge :lol:
Last edited by spanishstag on Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:03 am

spanishstag wrote:
Martian wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
spanishstag wrote:

Changed it for ya

Lifes too short to worry about spaces ,and commas ,i have not done too bad without worrying about them ,retired at 52 and living the dream in my own villa with my own pool and learning the complexities of the spanish tongue ,now there is a challenge :lol:

Not that he’s bragging or anything!
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:04 am

Amber Andy wrote:
The One wrote:
ParisStag wrote:You've got to be adaptable to different styles and not just stubbornly play your own and hope it'll work. Certain teams are set up to punish attacking teams.

Crawley's ability to break wide will punish our wing-backs if they stray into attacking positions and don't get back. We need to either play 442 or be very disciplined in this one. Hoofball may just be the answer!

If hoofball wins matches we may as well give up, and yes I remember Rhead.
Its awful to watch. Yes, I want promotion but equally I want to be entertained. At my age you get neck ache watching hoof ball :)

I don't watch Mansfield for entertainment.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 pm

with you paris. playing raspberry and winning every week beats playing pretty stuff and losing everytime in my eyes
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:25 pm

Spiritater wrote:with you paris. playing raspberry and winning every week beats playing pretty stuff and losing everytime in my eyes

But we are not winning every week
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:29 pm

Your average fan accepts unattractive football if it's getting results. If it doesn't, you automatically have a problem.

The more attentive fan calls out unattractive/negative football even when it is getting results, because they know it cannot go on forever if you're consistently having less of the ball and creating a lower quality of chances.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby spanishstag » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:21 pm

Sorry edders didn,t mean to brag ,but its a nice reposte when some billy big balls needlessly has a sarky dig :lol:
spanishstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Wow, a lot of reinventing history on here! Cox had the biggest budget ever given to a Stags manager for his first season in League 2, it was only cut when it became clear he'd never be a successful league manager and was failing miserably. He might be a great bloke, he did do a great job in the Conference but the football he played during our first year back in the league was utter tripe and the worst I have ever seen from a Stags side in my 45 years, and I have seen some crap! Selective memory or amnesia from some on here and to say his sides did not play direct football is frankly the most absurd thing I have read on here in ages - and for that award there is a very large amount of competition :lol:

We live in confusing times!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:58 pm

Typical selective memory from Rob who attacked Paul Cox at every opportunity but was not prepared to see anything wrong with his beloved DF :lol:

The point being made Rob is that Paul Cox's Championship winning side just did play long balls forward to Matt Rhead to flick on to Matt Green. Matt Rhead only started 10 games. He was very similar to Steve Evans in that he liked to get the ball forward quickly and play in the opposition's final third and he liked to put the ball into the opposition's penalty area whenever possible but he was not as direct as some fans argue and he did always play with two attacking wide players. Just go back and watch the goals we scored.

Regarding budgets, Paul Cox did have a decent budget of around £1.6 million in the first season back in the EFL but a lot of this was tied up on players who won new contracts and pay rises by winning promotion back to the EFL. Steve Evans and DF have probably spent twice the amount that Paul Cox or Adam Murray ever did. Paul Cox then had his budget halved to £800,000 in the second season in the EFL.

The football played by Paul Cox in that first season back in the EFL was also a lot better than that played by Stuart Boam, Mick Jones or even Ian Greaves in the early years or Billy Dearden second time around. We finished 11th and certainly won a lot more games.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:18 pm

Paul Cox budget was cut due to the problems at One Call, it had nothing to do with him, he was clearly not a FL manager though.

Nice bit of selective memory mind you.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby west country stag » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 pm

kyle b wrote:2-1 win rose and Maynard to score. And that tool Palmer to get one for them

I agree with that COYS
WEST COUNTRY'S No 1 FAN
....... ALL RIGHT MI DUCK ......
west country stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Rob wrote:Wow, a lot of reinventing history on here! Cox had the biggest budget ever given to a Stags manager for his first season in League 2, it was only cut when it became clear he'd never be a successful league manager and was failing miserably. He might be a great bloke, he did do a great job in the Conference but the football he played during our first year back in the league was utter tripe and the worst I have ever seen from a Stags side in my 45 years, and I have seen some crap! Selective memory or amnesia from some on here and to say his sides did not play direct football is frankly the most absurd thing I have read on here in ages - and for that award there is a very large amount of competition :lol:

We live in confusing times!

clearly never watched when holdsworth had the reins then.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:09 pm

The One wrote:
Spiritater wrote:with you paris. playing raspberry and winning every week beats playing pretty stuff and losing everytime in my eyes

But we are not winning every week

it was not meant to refer to Demp's tenure, it was a generalism.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:00 pm

I believe our playing budget was slashed around the same time that One Call was under FCA investigation that saw the subsequent fines etc to one call and Radford.

It was then lifted up again once that had all happened. Maybe a coincidence
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tess Tickle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:43 pm

1-2 Maynard brace
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:47 pm

mousemousemouse wrote:I believe our playing budget was slashed around the same time that One Call was under FCA investigation that saw the subsequent fines etc to one call and Radford.

It was then lifted up again once that had all happened. Maybe a coincidence

Don’t think it was a coincidence, that’s what I was getting at and it’s why Rob is incorrect re budget cut because of Paul Cox (obviously)

For what it’s worth, we were not going to do what we did in the conference in the FL and go nearly unbeaten every post Christmas, Cox was clearly out of his depth, that being said I’m surprised he’s struggled elsewhere since in NL.

Cox to County honestly would not be a bad shout if he had decent money available, if he’s given time I’m sure he will get them out within a couple of seasons.
Conker
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum