{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags v scunny scorefred by the spanish virgin

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags v scunny scorefred by the spanish virgin

Postby bigalstag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Could somebody tell me whether the players from last season ,were abducted by aliens, and all the football removed from their bodies? Watching that today, you would believe it.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:14 pm

We had a staggering 42% possession. Allowing sides 58% possession will not bode well against teams who actually play football.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:14 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
nick_stags wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:why oh why did he go one up front for the last 10 mins?

talk me through that one gaffa ?

To shut up shop and get the win. Which worked.

What possibly could be your problem?

did you go?

Yeah.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:15 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Happy with the result... but that defined ‘papering over the cracks’.

Against a very poor side we created next to nothing, and even when 2-0 up Dempster made very uninspiring and negative substitutions which for me showed his mindset as being very defensive and not creative in the slightest. Really disappointed with us as an attacking outfit today.

If I’m honest I still don’t have belief Dempster is the man to take us forward despite the win but we’ve got to go and back up today’s good result up next week now and hopefully we do!

This is it. We didn't play particularly well, and haven't all season barring Carlisle away. Winning one game in isolation is not enough in our situation.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby WVStag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:15 pm

chip63 wrote:
WVStag wrote:Perspective needed. A win was the minimum requirement today and now needs to be backed up with a run of games where points are gained to make up for a dismal start. Those are the facts.

Positive to get 3 points, yes. But it's not enough until we've caught up to the rest of the pack.

2 points off play offs 6 points off automatic.
I'd take that at Xmas never mind now.

Weird.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:15 pm

bigalstag wrote:Could somebody tell me whether the players from last season ,were abducted by aliens, and all the football removed from their bodies? Watching that today, you would believe it.

Have we been "space jammed"? :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:16 pm

nick_stags wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
nick_stags wrote:

did you go?

Yeah.

i take it you left after 80 mins then ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:17 pm

gazza1988 wrote:We had a staggering 42% possession. Allowing sides 58% possession will not bode well against teams who actually play football.

Not surprising, we have been anti-football so far this season, and anybody who disagrees has their heads in the clouds. Hopefully a win inspires us to better performances.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NG17_stag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Would be easy to say a win and a clean sheet but let’s be honest it wasn’t great. We’d have lost today against a proper team, although I can’t complain with a scrappy win if that’s what it takes to get a good run of results going for us - so we’ll have to wait and see.

Like this new lad, seems very comfortable taking the ball off the defence and spraying it about. Also, why aren’t we playing to Maynard’s strengths? Feel like yet again he’s come off having hardly had a kick. He’s clearly a class player and needs to be more involved.
NG17_stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Hjeldefan » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:22 pm

Good win and much needed but can only echo what has gone before really. Very dull football and tactics. Given how 2019 has gone so far though it's probably best to soak up a win!
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby nick_stags » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:24 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
nick_stags wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
nick_stags wrote:

did you go?

Yeah.

i take it you left after 80 mins then ?

No. As I've said, JD's plan was to shut up shop and ensure we won. Which we did.

You asked for an explanation, I've given you one.
Last edited by nick_stags on Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nick_stags
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:24 pm

WVStag wrote:
chip63 wrote:
WVStag wrote:Perspective needed. A win was the minimum requirement today and now needs to be backed up with a run of games where points are gained to make up for a dismal start. Those are the facts.

Positive to get 3 points, yes. But it's not enough until we've caught up to the rest of the pack.

Weird.

Christmas day last season we were 5th, 3 points off 3rd woth 2 games in hand. Now I'd take that at Christmas this year.

Coincidently, the team that was 2 points off playoffs and 7 off automatics that season was Tranmere, who won the play offs. I'd take that finish now :lol:
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:26 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
WVStag wrote:
chip63 wrote:

Weird.

Christmas day last season we were 5th, 3 points off 3rd woth 2 games in hand. Now I'd take that at Christmas this year.

Coincidently, the team that was 2 points off playoffs and 7 off automatics that season was Tranmere, who won the play offs. I'd take that finish now :lol:

That’s not the point he’s making... it’s that you can’t dress this up as a good start because of a routine win
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:29 pm

I never said anything to the contrary?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:29 pm

This result has bought JD some time. Which annoys me. We'll be back to the place we were before todays game when we fail to win at Crawley next week and we'll be another game into the season with less time to sort it.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:29 pm

It's a win and i'm glad about it but let's be honest, Scunthorpe were dreadful and that performance against most teams in the divison would not end well.

The decision to take off Maynard and put everybody in our own penalty box bar Rose was just astonishing, It was the most demoralizing victory in memory. Bizarre.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:31 pm

If our plan this season is controlled long balls to Rose we are not going to do well, we look more a threat getting it down the wings but they are clearly being told to do otherwise.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:32 pm

Conker wrote:It's a win and i'm glad about it but let's be honest, Scunthorpe were dreadful and that performance against most teams in the divison would not end well.

The decision to take off Maynard and put everybody in our own penalty box bar Rose was just astonishing, It was the most demoralizing victory in memory. Bizarre.

agree 100%
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Thing is though, alot of the "controlled balls to Rose" are nowhere near him.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Good to finally get a much needed home win. I’m quite disappointed in Dempster however. We’re 2-0 up, look comfortable against bottom of the league who weren’t posing a threat, and instead of wanting to make a statement and put four past them, Dempster went ultra defensive for no need and let them build some pressure. We looked awful after he made his changes.

For me, Dempster definitely hasn’t got the mindset to get us promoted, or even close. We can all see with Dempsters substitutions, tactics, the direct style of play and his sometimes questionable team selections that he’s very cautious by nature. Teams don’t get promoted when their manager has this defensive, cautious mindset, so today despite the positive result has not warmed me to Dempsters prospects as manager one bit.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:36 pm

Conker wrote:It's a win and i'm glad about it but let's be honest, Scunthorpe were dreadful and that performance against most teams in the divison would not end well.

Totally agree with this. We are at home against bottom of the league Scunthorpe and we go one up front . They just couldn't make any chances with their possession thank god
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Obviously pleased with the win. Anything else against such a poor side would have been criminal. But, we were very poor.

The 'style' seems to be similar to that of Dearden the 2nd time. Long balls (often badly played) without anyone to win the 2nd ball. Basically percentage football. We've taken a massive step back from the last 2 seasons. It's not nice to watch, it's not effective. Its dull negative and frustrating.

Going 541 with 10 to go, when 2 nil up and against little or no threat was as negative as it gets. All it did was let them spend 10 minutes trying to break us down. Thankfully on this occasion they didn't.

Minutes before we did that we started to get space as they started to try to take more risks. We should of killed the game off not done that. What does it say about us to other teams who will come here? "Dont worry if we go behind lads, they'll let us attack them for the last 15 anyway so just stay in the game".

First time I've seen us win for yonks and it doesn't feel right. I feel almost cheated and somewhat embarrassed.

People can say it worked all they like but they barely threatened us all game. They were slow all be it neat and tidy at times. We gave them the chance to come at us. Crazy.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:40 pm

If the away side time wasted as much as us, this board would be in flames and meltdown.

The time wasting was just pathetic. I was ashamed to be a Stags supporter watching so much negativity from aside 2-0 winning at home against the worst side to visit the Mill since Guiseley.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Two poor teams on display today, grateful for the win but JD's tactic to go defensive with 15-20 mins left defined his tactical brain, he hasn't got one.

We should have kept at Scunthorpe not given ground.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:44 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Good to finally get a much needed home win. I’m quite disappointed in Dempster however. We’re 2-0 up, look comfortable against bottom of the league who weren’t posing a threat, and instead of wanting to make a statement and put four past them, Dempster went ultra defensive for no need and let them build some pressure. We looked awful after he made his changes.

For me, Dempster definitely hasn’t got the mindset to get us promoted, or even close. We can all see with Dempsters substitutions, tactics, the direct style of play and his sometimes questionable team selections that he’s very cautious by nature. Teams don’t get promoted when their manager has this defensive, cautious mindset, so today despite the positive result has not warmed me to Dempsters prospects as manager one bit.

Class post. Well said.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum