{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Head of Football

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Head of Football

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:06 pm

Would really like us to bring in someone who knows football at the top of the clubs and develop a clear recruitment strategy. Our current recruitment is haphazard with no clear plan. It’s not a problem that’s specific to our club but it would really help if the head of recruitment wasn’t someone who was picked by the manager, rather someone who can continue operating when managers come and go.

We’ve somehow also got into a position where a majority of our key players are ours of contract in the summer. This looked to be something we were rectifying a few years ago but we see to have let it slip again. If we had someone who could purely focus on footballing operations of the pitch I feel this would be less likely to happen.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Re: Head of Football

Postby daddycool » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Would really like us to bring in someone who knows football at the top of the clubs and develop a clear recruitment strategy. Our current recruitment is haphazard with no clear plan. It’s not a problem that’s specific to our club but it would really help if the head of recruitment wasn’t someone who was picked by the manager, rather someone who can continue operating when managers come and go.

We’ve somehow also got into a position where a majority of our key players are ours of contract in the summer. This looked to be something we were rectifying a few years ago but we see to have let it slip again. If we had someone who could purely focus on footballing operations of the pitch I feel this would be less likely to happen.

I thought Burgess was in charge of recruitment etc
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:15 pm

daddycool wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Would really like us to bring in someone who knows football at the top of the clubs and develop a clear recruitment strategy. Our current recruitment is haphazard with no clear plan. It’s not a problem that’s specific to our club but it would really help if the head of recruitment wasn’t someone who was picked by the manager, rather someone who can continue operating when managers come and go.

He was sacked with Flitcroft.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:16 pm

daddycool wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Burgess i’d forgot about that little gem :lol: :lol:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:18 pm

I think a possible restructure could help and hopefully focus more on brining in younger players on transfer fees and creating clear pathways for the academy.

No reason why we can’t copy Peterborough’s method and challenge at the top end of league two that way whilst creating an attacking brand of football.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:18 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:
daddycool wrote:

Think you mean Abbott pal.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:29 pm

Burgess is head of recruitment, but I mean someone above him to define the strategy.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:35 pm

Too many managers - too little quality
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:05 pm

We are Mansfield town not Manchester City, all these people need paying
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:25 pm

MTFCMAD wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:
daddycool wrote:

Think you mean Abbott pal.

You are right. I need a computer to keep up with it all!
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby I am Spartacus » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:32 pm

If we are to have a ‘Director of Football’, ‘Head of Recruitment’, ‘Head of Football’, ‘Big Cheese of Soccer’ or whatever you want to call him this must be done with a long term goal and aim. To link up all the arms of the football side of the club from U7’s to the first eleven, player recruitment, scouting, player development, loans, womens side (possibly) etc and not just to be the flavour of the month with the latest short term manager. For this we need a clear long term development aim for the club and not just the often spouted ‘five year plan for the championship’ that Chairman of soon to be failing football clubs. Often this appointment is a friend of friend of the old training ground network of failed managers and coaches.

The stability what we crave and need for the long term future of the club can only be achieved by an ‘independent’ (for want of a better phrase) experienced and yet current person. Though as a club are we in a position for or need such an appointment?

This season may well be a defining one in the long term direction of the club.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:43 pm

I am Spartacus wrote:If we are to have a ‘Director of Football’, ‘Head of Recruitment’, ‘Head of Football’, ‘Big Cheese of Soccer’ or whatever you want to call him this must be done with a long term goal and aim. To link up all the arms of the football side of the club from U7’s to the first eleven, player recruitment, scouting, player development, loans, womens side (possibly) etc and not just to be the flavour of the month with the latest short term manager. For this we need a clear long term development aim for the club and not just the often spouted ‘five year plan for the championship’ that Chairman of soon to be failing football clubs. Often this appointment is a friend of friend of the old training ground network of failed managers and coaches.

The stability what we crave and need for the long term future of the club can only be achieved by an ‘independent’ (for want of a better phrase) experienced and yet current person. Though as a club are we in a position for or need such an appointment?

You’ve said what I was trying to say much better. It’s not about us ‘being Man City’ etc. It’s about a long term plan, signing players with sell on values, not letting assets contracts run down. I appreciate that the latter is harder to do at this level but it’s worth a try IMO. I just get the feeling that the Radfords, as well as they have done in making the club a success of the pitch, have much of an idea when it comes to on the field matters.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:46 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:If we are to have a ‘Director of Football’, ‘Head of Recruitment’, ‘Head of Football’, ‘Big Cheese of Soccer’ or whatever you want to call him this must be done with a long term goal and aim. To link up all the arms of the football side of the club from U7’s to the first eleven, player recruitment, scouting, player development, loans, womens side (possibly) etc and not just to be the flavour of the month with the latest short term manager. For this we need a clear long term development aim for the club and not just the often spouted ‘five year plan for the championship’ that Chairman of soon to be failing football clubs. Often this appointment is a friend of friend of the old training ground network of failed managers and coaches.

You’ve said what I was trying to say much better. It’s not about us ‘being Man City’ etc. It’s about a long term plan, signing players with sell on values, not letting assets contracts run down. I appreciate that the latter is harder to do at this level but it’s worth a try IMO. I just get the feeling that the Radfords, as well as they have done in making the club a success of the pitch, have much of an idea when it comes to on the field matters.

Spot on regarding sell on clauses. Let’s stop being that club who’s an easy target for a cheap deal.

So many times have we lost excellent talents for pennies and no fee’s due to us in the future
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:06 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Pretty much what I was trying to say too.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:18 pm

I could do with a career change. Can I be head of crossing the "T"s? If you want the" I"s dotting that will be extra.

Head of recruitment is just an extra set of opinions. Those opinions can clash. All you need is a chief scout to find players who could be useful. Recruitment is a case of finding the best value player to play in a style you want. If you want to play long ball then matt Rhead would be a good option, if you want fast flowing football Matt Rhead is the last player you want.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:20 pm

gazza1988 wrote:I could do with a career change. Can I be head of crossing the "T"s? If you want the" I"s dotting that will be extra.

Head of recruitment is just an extra set of opinions. Those opinions can clash. All you need is a chief scout to find players who could be useful. Recruitment is a case of finding the best value player to play in a style you want. If you want to play long ball then matt Rhead would be a good option, if you want fast flowing football Matt Rhead is the last player you want.

If you don't know what style you want, you sign a kid and stick him on the bench
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:36 pm

What JD is missing ( and I said it when he was appointed) is a Bill Dearden type figure. Someone who has managed in the lower leagues and has contacts. You can give him the most fancy title in the world, but basically he is an assistant to help to guide a fledgling manager. Strangely, Adam Murray brought some decent players to the club, but he failed because his management team didn't have such a person. Unfortunately neither does JD, and it is glaringly apparent.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:25 am

Glover has far more football league experience than Dempster, who has played relatively little league football in his career.
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby Kenwood » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:15 am

I don’t think JR has any plans personally of investing any more money in recruitment at any level of the coaching or football staff

I have a feeling he will see how this season goes and only make a change of manager when / if he is mathematically forced into doing so.

For now he will watch the games via IPlayer and no doubt get frustrated when we lose or it play badly like we all do.

Unfortunately the failure to gain 1 extra point last season will have changed a lot of decisions and what he is willing to do
Kenwood
First Team
First Team

Postby Conker » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:39 am

Must admit I don’t understand the need for Andy Burgess, nor Abbott last season.

Most managers seem to handle it at this level without.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:53 am

JR needs more help than JD.

We have needed a ‘football guy’ in the boardroom for years.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Foresttownstag » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:08 am

Conker wrote:Must admit I don’t understand the need for Andy Burgess, nor Abbott last season.

Most managers seem to handle it at this level without.

I could do with help from Andy Burgess, I reckon he could help me pick a winning acca at the weekend
Foresttownstag
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum