{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:25 am

For me it was when we had the brilliant Duncan McKenzie around 1971 or 72 from Forest.

Never ever seen anyone look so cultured and so far above anyone else on the pitch.

To the best of my recollection we only had him for short periods because he was such a star with us Forest recalled him for their first team.
Chrisuknottm
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Billy the fish » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:50 am

Off the top of my head O’Neil Donaldson couldn’t stop scoring for us .
User avatar
Billy the fish
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:50 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:For me it was when we had the brilliant Duncan McKenzie around 1971 or 72 from Forest.

Never ever seen anyone look so cultured and so far above anyone else on the pitch.

To the best of my recollection we only had him for short periods because he was such a star with us Forest recalled him for their first team.


I also think Duncan just about shades it but mention should go to Adam Murray, Matt Piper and O'Neil Donaldson who also lit the team up and changed our fortunes.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Woodclanger 1 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:53 am

Didn't see McKenzie. Impact wise O'Neill Donaldson and Adam Murray

I remember Mike Carter from Bolton, he was good too, scored a fantastic goal vs Plymouth
Woodclanger 1
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 5995
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:58 am

Tyler Walker.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:16 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby BH_Stag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:00 pm

In more recent years you’d have to say Walker. Ben Whiteman was excellent as well.
BH_Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1440
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:21 am

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby DURHAM STAG » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:04 pm

Duncan McKenzie is the most talented player I have ever seen play for the Stags. We actually had him on loan twice, once at the end of the 69-70 season in a swap with Dave Hollins, and secondly during the 72-73 season when he played so well that Forest recalled him and inadvertently scuppered our promotion hopes that season.

Leaving him aside, how about Rod Arnold. If memory serves right, we tried to buy him at the end of the loan, Wolves refused but we got him back on a free transfer. Kevin Hitchcock also came on loan initially.
DURHAM STAG
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:06 pm

DURHAM STAG wrote:Duncan McKenzie is the most talented player I have ever seen play for the Stags. We actually had him on loan twice, once at the end of the 69-70 season in a swap with Dave Hollins, and secondly during the 72-73 season when he played so well that Forest recalled him and inadvertently scuppered our promotion hopes that season.

Leaving him aside, how about Rod Arnold. If memory serves right, we tried to buy him at the end of the loan, Wolves refused but we got him back on a free transfer. Kevin Hitchcock also came on loan initially.


Memory is better than mine Durham. I knew we had him twice but would never have put them so far apart. Great update mate
Chrisuknottm
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Stockportstag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:09 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:For me it was when we had the brilliant Duncan McKenzie around 1971 or 72 from Forest.

Never ever seen anyone look so cultured and so far above anyone else on the pitch.

To the best of my recollection we only had him for short periods because he was such a star with us Forest recalled him for their first team.


Totally agree. No one else comes glose
Stockportstag
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:44 am

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby oldnic » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:11 pm

We had a lad, Carter from Bolton, cant remember the years, skilful, but Mckenzie special
oldnic
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:41 am

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Chris M » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:23 pm

Woodclanger 1 wrote:Didn't see McKenzie. Impact wise O'Neill Donaldson and Adam Murray

I remember Mike Carter from Bolton, he was good too, scored a fantastic goal vs Plymouth


My choice too. Did not see McKenzie, but Mike Carter was a fantastic player. Such a shame that we did not sign O'Neil Donaldson permanently. For his all round contribution to our club probably have to say that Muzza was our best ever loan signing in my time watching the Stags. Adam always gave his all for Mansfield Town, he even came in on a Sunday to clear snow from the pitch prior to a game against Nuneaton then went out and gave a man of match performance.
User avatar
Chris M
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1167
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:26 pm

Billy the fish wrote:Off the top of my head O’Neil Donaldson couldn’t stop scoring for us .


‘Deadly’ Donaldson we called him if I remember correctly. We were going to sign him but he scored so many goals (6 in 4 games) he ended up going to Wednesday instead for 50k.

Unfortunately for him he only scored 6 more goals in the rest of his league career.
NorthLondonStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Thoresby_68 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:27 pm

Don O'Riordan who we had on loan from Notts County in the late 80s was absolute class. Played the old sweeper role and never put a foot wrong. Was gutted when County pulled him back as he wanted to sign for us.
Thoresby_68
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:36 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby georgefostersbeard » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:39 pm

From my view, the loan signings of my youth appeared to be people who were more able to impact on a team - up to Whiteman and Walker recent loans have been more run of the mill than the great successes i remember. But i suspect that it is a case of rosy tinted specs
Tainted Soul says I am great!
User avatar
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:41 pm

Duncan McKenzie. No brainer.
I actually LIKED Marksman Lager
User avatar
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7393
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: In the land of the Merry Men

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby spanishstag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Rod arnold ,we had him on loan at first ,then signed him permanently ,didn't turn out too bad
spanishstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:44 pm

Duncan McKenzie next daft question
Our time will come
User avatar
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9067
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:35 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby CassellsCap » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:50 pm

Thoresby_68 wrote:Don O'Riordan who we had on loan from Notts County in the late 80s was absolute class. Played the old sweeper role and never put a foot wrong. Was gutted when County pulled him back as he wanted to sign for us.

Don was total class, he could pass a ball from the full back position and put it on the foot of our wingers over 60 yards away.
CassellsCap
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 372
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:10 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Sneag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:10 pm

Adam Murray, we wouldn't have gone up without him.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7896
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: King Solomon he never lived `round here

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby gavinbrookes » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:51 pm

I don't think this is a daft question at all; the responses reflect different generational perspectives which makes for interesting reading.

My dad always said Duncan McKenzie was fantastic but I never saw him play. In more recent times, I think we forget that Matt Green was initially a loan from Oxford (!) A couple of more obscure ones that I was also impressed by were Lewis Price and then Martin Gritton from Torquay (along with Barry Conlon ) did a lot to help us stay up the year that Barker was acrimoniously shipped out.
gavinbrookes
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1187
Joined: Mon May 23, 2011 8:37 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby DazMondo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:13 pm

Duncan Mckenzie obviously

Since then 'Deadly Donaldson' oh boy, he was a proper impact loan. Shame Andy King was too busy smoking his cigars in the Red pub. O'Neil Donaldson may have gone down in the Legend status...

After that well, Murrays endeavour and commitment was effective.
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Sneag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:18 pm

DazMondo wrote:Duncan Mckenzie obviously

Since then 'Deadly Donaldson' oh boy, he was a proper impact loan. Shame Andy King was too busy smoking his cigars in the Red pub. O'Neil Donaldson may have gone down in the Legend status...

After that well, Murrays endeavour and commitment was effective.


Murray's 7 goals were pretty handy too.
MANSFIELD TOWN FC - SPOILING YOUR WEEKENDS SINCE 1910.
User avatar
Sneag
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7896
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:41 pm
Location: King Solomon he never lived `round here

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby DazMondo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:26 pm

Sneag wrote:
DazMondo wrote:Duncan Mckenzie obviously

Since then 'Deadly Donaldson' oh boy, he was a proper impact loan. Shame Andy King was too busy smoking his cigars in the Red pub. O'Neil Donaldson may have gone down in the Legend status...

After that well, Murrays endeavour and commitment was effective.


Murray's 7 goals were pretty handy too.


That's correct, though he often took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove us on to promotion that made him a very good loan signing for me
DazMondo
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:09 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby Stag007 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:34 pm

The same season we had Murray from Derby we had a young winger from Leicester, Matt Piper for a few months. He stood out for me. Shame injuries ended his career prematurely. Also Jorge Grant's first few outings were something special too, shame it fizzled out so spectacularly.
User avatar
Stag007
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Re: Best Loan Signing You Ever Saw?

Postby NorthLondonStag » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:48 pm

Ian Juryeff was good for a few games from Southampton. I believe he later said that one of his goals for the Stags was the best of his career.
NorthLondonStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alwaysa5tag, BH_Stag, Herts Stag, MTFCMusings, nick_stags, ParisStag, wink68, WVStag and 55 guests