{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dempster interview & Sky Sports highlights

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Dempster interview & Sky Sports highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:15 pm

Last edited by Son Of Sherwood on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endeavoring to persevere since 1965 (8-1 home win against QPR)

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Dempster post match

Postby Stoney » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:17 pm

I don't think he actually knows how to sort this poor run of form out. I hope I'm wrong.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:21 pm

Stoney wrote:I don't think he actually knows how to sort this poor run of form out. I hope I'm wrong.

You're not on your own Stoney, the out your depth thread has never been so apt unfortunately
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:33 pm

He's asked straight out about the long ball football to Danny Rose up front which has happened in almost every game so far and denied it was a tactic....so is he not watching what we are watching or are the players not following his tactics because, a couple of flowing moves apart, we've only done that all season.

At least Stevos questions were more probing tonight but sadly very little eye contact from JD
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:34 pm

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby WVStag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:38 pm

The bloke looks like he has no idea what he is doing. This job wasn't right for him.
WVStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:57 pm

Well done Stevo for asking the right questions.

Think it's a poor interview by JD as he seems like a rabbit caught in the headlights and doesn't know how to fix it.

JD seemed baffled by the direct long ball to Rose question.

Lose to Scunny next week and he'll be on borrowed time unfortunately.
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Re: Dempster interview & Sky Sports highlights

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 pm

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 pm

Stoney wrote:I don't think he actually knows how to sort this poor run of form out. I hope I'm wrong.

I do remove him and quickly nice bloke and deserved a shot but this can’t carry on .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:10 pm

I fear that this manager doesn’t have the answers, in many regards.

It really looks like the team lack motivation under his management.

It surely is only a matter of time before our exiled owners realise that they have blundered.
Edders
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:49 pm

He says 'no excuses', and 'we weren't good enough' and the 'defence weren't switch on' and we 'made mistakes all over the pitch'. 'the players are given the perfect platform to go an perform, but they simply didnt do that today.' ... Along with the other days this season. 'an inept performance and I take responsibility for that'. 'we have to have a serious look in the mirror and ask why the performance levels were so low' - well that is clear to many of us.

He's hurting, we all are, he knows it's a big job to turn this around and he doesn't look like he can take it on the chin or carry the burden of expectation.

I admire his honesty but if it was as bad as the manager says it was, and it's not a one off, then blame is squarely at his door.

I think he's just waiting to be sacked now and when he is I think he'll be relieved.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby acasman » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:02 pm

That was an interview with a Manager who is at a complete loss to explain what his team are doing and why they are doing it. He didn't even seem angry with them, just fatalistic. It ranks up there with interviews I've seen with other managers who don't know where to go next. The Stoke manager last week was pretty much the same. There was talk last year that Flitcroft had lost the dressing room and could no longer motivate the players, it seems to me that Dempster has probably never had the dressing room.
acasman
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:02 pm

Any new manager especially after the last seasons capitulation needed to hit the ground running, preparation has been poor the pre season games uninspiring and the few league games Dempster has marshalled have been awful and rudderless to say the least . The owners need to address this now before the momentum and upward curve the club have deservedly experienced over the last few seasons will sadly be expunged .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:54 am

If a manager has players who will not do as he asks, the answer is either to replace them during the game or drop them from the team for the next match.

I would like someone to tell me of another magic course of action if the above two options are not available.

Whilst not being happy with the current situation, I do feel that Mr Dempster is currently caught between a rock and a hard place. The squad is down to the bare bones and we are struggling to put a team out of the quality which is demanded by the fans.

I fully accept that things don't appear right especially with the defence and goalkeeper. Pearce, in particular will not pass back to the keeper and this is also spreading to the other centre halves, so what does the manager do?. Does he drop Logan and let player power win? Or does he replace Pearce with a youngster and incur the wrath of the fans?. I'm sure most on here would explode if he did the latter but perhaps this is his only option to retain credibility with the players.

Pearce was clearly at fault with the goal as he totally lost his man but I haven't read fans criticising him on here. His refusal to include Logan is also, in my opinion, leading to much of the hoof ball fans are blaming the manager for. It also cuts out midfield play.

Yes I think it is time for Mr Dempster to impose himself, but if he does most on here will not be happy bunnies. Yes a rock and a hard place.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby julianshatnasty » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:27 am

The problem would seen to me that a new manager would want his own team whereas JD was willing to work with the current team. We were only two strikers short last year and I would have thought that after the last two years, JR was unwilling to fund a new side again beyond that. It seemed little was really wrong and therefore to limit funding we thought we could just carry on. Can't really blame him if that's the case, can't really go around replacing the whole side year on year.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:28 am

Arsene, your comments re Dempster "waiting to be sacked".

My wife who doesn't often listen to football interviews and is not really interested in the game we love, came to the same conclusion. Her words "he will be relieved to be sacked".
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby naanbread2 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:37 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:If a manager has players who will not do as he asks, the answer is either to replace them during the game or drop them from the team for the next match.

I would like someone to tell me of another magic course of action if the above two options are not available.

Whilst not being happy with the current situation, I do feel that Mr Dempster is currently caught between a rock and a hard place. The squad is down to the bare bones and we are struggling to put a team out of the quality which is demanded by the fans.

I fully accept that things don't appear right especially with the defence and goalkeeper. Pearce, in particular will not pass back to the keeper and this is also spreading to the other centre halves, so what does the manager do?. Does he drop Logan and let player power win? Or does he replace Pearce with a youngster and incur the wrath of the fans?. I'm sure most on here would explode if he did the latter but perhaps this is his only option to retain credibility with the players.

Pearce was clearly at fault with the goal as he totally lost his man but I haven't read fans criticising him on here. His refusal to include Logan is also, in my opinion, leading to much of the hoof ball fans are blaming the manager for. It also cuts out midfield play.

Yes I think it is time for Mr Dempster to impose himself, but if he does most on here will not be happy bunnies. Yes a rock and a hard place.

Quite right!
naanbread2
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Son Of Sherwood » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:40 am

EFL highlights for our overseas members...

Seal it, Larson
Son Of Sherwood
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:12 am

He seems remarkably down. Obviously you wouldn't expect him to be jumping with joy after that performance, but he should be fired up and itching to sort it out. With strong ideas as to how to tackle the challenge.
He reminds me of Adam Murray, who seemed to be doing everything correctly according to the coaching manuals and when it didn't work just got depressed.

I'm not saying that he should take a leaf out of Steve Evans' book exactly, but Evans would have had them in early this morning for training and they would have been in fear of their lives.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:33 am

Get rid of Dempster and drop Logan and 99%of problems will be solved. Neither of them are up to the standard required.
bigalstag
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:39 am

bigalstag wrote:Get rid of Dempster and drop Logan and 99%of problems will be solved. Neither of them are up to the standard required.
If only that was the case.

What did Logan do wrong yesterday ? It was Pearce and his lapse in concentration that lead to the goal.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:47 am

Goal is Pearce's fault.

Good quick thinking by them.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:06 pm

I’ve listened to every interview he’s done since he took over. Not once have I heard him say something that made me think ‘ah that’s an interesting approach’ or ‘yes this guy seems to know what he’s talking about’z I’ve not seen anything on the pitch where I’ve thought ‘that’s a clever pattern of play they’ve worked on in training’ or ‘that’s a good change’. He just seems to be plodding through the motions with no clear plan. He does t know what formation to play, he doesn’t know what his best team is. It’s really poor.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:03 pm

All very depressing.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I’ve listened to every interview he’s done since he took over. Not once have I heard him say something that made me think ‘ah that’s an interesting approach’ or ‘yes this guy seems to know what he’s talking about’z I’ve not seen anything on the pitch where I’ve thought ‘that’s a clever pattern of play they’ve worked on in training’ or ‘that’s a good change’. He just seems to be plodding through the motions with no clear plan. He does t know what formation to play, he doesn’t know what his best team is. It’s really poor.

It's very difficult to pick your best team when the same set of players have not been available for selection in two games running so far this season. The starting 11 had to be changed in every game we have played so far, either through injury or more stupidly through suspension. I'm not sure how Mr Dempster can be blamed for that. The same thing applies to the number of injured players he inherited which outnumber the unwanted players Mr Flitcroft had to deal with last year.

Some on here constantly refer to those players as to reasons why Mr Flitcroft should not have been sacked which appears to me to be trying to hide behind half truths and yet they will not extend the same rules to Mr Dempster.

This is a bit like Brexit where Mr Flitcroft's supporters will not admit defeat and are doing all they can to cause unrest and undermine the current manager. As in the Brexit debate, this behaviour is devisive and the club will end up in a worse position if it continues. All I ask is that you support the club through difficult times and accept the owners choice.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum