{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Toffees scorethread sponsored by ‘Remember the Danskin’!

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Toffees scorethread sponsored by ‘Remember the Danskin’!

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Rob, unless you have a crystal ball there is no way of knowing how DF would be doing right now either. What’s to say we wouldn’t be doing exactly the same under DF? After all, JD has only one less point from the corresponding fixtures than DF.

As I said before, the change in manager wasn’t the issue, the choice of manager was.

I'm with Rob on this issue. Sometimes we are too close to things to see clearly.

I have friends who support other teams, who thought it was madness to sack DF. They are now telling me that they were right in that assumption. It's not just the results they refer to , it's the sendings offs, the awful defending and how our fans are reacting.

Where would Lincoln be now if their chairman had taken the same course of action as JR?

Your friends who support other teams will only look at results and not performances. The same people who were shocked when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins for Poch, or Chris Hughton for Graham Potter.

Our situation is not the same as Lincoln’s. They consistently overachieve. Flitcroft underachieved.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:34 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Rob, unless you have a crystal ball there is no way of knowing how DF would be doing right now either. What’s to say we wouldn’t be doing exactly the same under DF? After all, JD has only one less point from the corresponding fixtures than DF.

As I said before, the change in manager wasn’t the issue, the choice of manager was.

I'm with Rob on this issue. Sometimes we are too close to things to see clearly.

I have friends who support other teams, who thought it was madness to sack DF. They are now telling me that they were right in that assumption. It's not just the results they refer to , it's the sendings offs, the awful defending and how our fans are reacting.

Where would Lincoln be now if their chairman had taken the same course of action as JR?

Your friends who support other teams will only look at results and not performances. The same people who were shocked when Southampton sacked Nigel Adkins for Poch, or Chris Hughton for Graham Potter.

Our situation is not the same as Lincoln’s. They consistently overachieve. Flitcroft underachieved.
There are a lot of similarities between us and Lincoln. The most obvious one is they stuck with their manager when they failed to get promotion.

My friends look at the goals we are conceding, they are well aware of the sendings off, and the indiscretions off the pitch.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:49 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

There are a lot of similarities between us and Lincoln. The most obvious one is they stuck with their manager when they failed to get promotion.

My friends look at the goals we are conceding, they are well aware of the sendings off, and the indiscretions off the pitch.

In the previous season Lincoln's manager won the conference and took them to the quarter final of the FA Cup. DF took us from the edge of automatic promotion to outside the playoffs. The two are completely incomparable.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:57 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

In the previous season Lincoln's manager won the conference and took them to the quarter final of the FA Cup. DF took us from the edge of automatic promotion to outside the playoffs. The two are completely incomparable.
Put whatever spin on it you want. You will struggle to convince me that sacking DF who took us to our highest league position in years and replacing him with an inexperienced manager, was one of the worst decisions JR has made since taking over the club. Basically we were progressing season to season, we have now gone quickly into reverse.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Comparing DF to the successful Cowleys :lol:
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:06 pm

Amber Andy wrote:Put whatever spin on it you want. You will struggle to convince me that sacking DF who took us to our highest league position in years and replacing him with an inexperienced manager, was one of the worst decisions JR has made since taking over the club. Basically we were progressing season to season, we have now gone quickly into reverse.

I can't believe DF got the chop for underachieving, something else happened to sour his relationship with the chairman. Perhaps we'll never know.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:07 pm

That's understandable if you think that. But DF didn't have any success to fall back on, whereas the Cowleys did. It's not spin, its facts :lol:
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:That's understandable if you think that. But DF didn't have any success to fall back on, whereas the Cowleys did. It's not spin, its facts :lol:
He achieved promotion with Bury.

Let's simplify things. We would be in a much healthier position now both on and off the field had JR not made the decision he did.

The recruitment has been shocking. Maynard is a quality striker but doesn't fit our system. We need a midfielder player who can play balls to his feet. Cook has hardly kicked a ball and is out for goodness knows how longer. The midfielder we badly need has been sent home on gardening leave and we don't know if he will ever play for us. We've had sendings off in 50% of our league games. The best defence in the league ( thanks to DF and BF ), are like a colander and can't concentrate even in the first ten minutes before conceding sloppy goals. Do you think that's progress, because I don't ?

Also the manager that a lot of fans were crying out for on here (Keith Hill), has taken a very difficult job at Bolton. Who is the first guy he turns to to help him? Well I guess you know the answer to that.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Hjeldefan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:09 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:That's understandable if you think that. But DF didn't have any success to fall back on, whereas the Cowleys did. It's not spin, its facts :lol:

Let's simplify things. We would be in a much healthier position now both on and off the field had JR not made the decision he did.

The recruitment has been shocking. Maynard is a quality striker but doesn't fit our system. We need a midfielder player who can play balls to his feet. Cook has hardly kicked a ball and is out for goodness knows how longer. The midfielder we badly need has been sent home on gardening leave and we don't know if he will ever play for us. We've had sendings off in 50% of our league games. The best defence in the league ( thanks to DF and BF ), are like a colander and can't concentrate even in the first ten minutes before conceding sloppy goals. Do you think that's progress, because I don't ?

Also the manager that a lot of fans were crying out for on here (Keith Hill), has taken a very difficult job at Bolton. Who is the first guy he turns to to help him? Well I guess you know the answer to that.

When have I said we have progressed? We have clearly gone backwards. I said that you cannot compare DF failing to take us up to the Cowleys failing to take Lincoln up. DF took over a team that were 4th in league 2 and left them in the same position. His sacking was debatable. The Cowleys took over a Lincoln side mid table in the conference and took them up, then into the playoffs in their first season in league 2. Of course they were never going to be sacked after that! Jeez.
Hjeldefan
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:55 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I'm sorry but final league table is all that counts. SE got us 12th, that's all him and his squad managed. Flitcroft got us 8th with the squad Steve Evans built (which by the point he left was made of mostly Adam Murray's signings). He then got us 4th with his own additions, playing some good football for large parts of the season with a watertight defence. Those are facts.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Hjeldefan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

When have I said we have progressed? We have clearly gone backwards. I said that you cannot compare DF failing to take us up to the Cowleys failing to take Lincoln up. DF took over a team that were 4th in league 2 and left them in the same position. His sacking was debatable. The Cowleys took over a Lincoln side mid table in the conference and took them up, then into the playoffs in their first season in league 2. Of course they were never going to be sacked after that! Jeez.

As you have said they were both failed.

Lincoln stuck with the manager who failed. He progressed the team who are now riding high where our chairman thinks we belong. He sacked our manager and we have gone backwards( we are currently 15 places below where we finished under DF ).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:58 pm

No surprise to see you talking rubbish again Andy. Ours and Lincoln’s situations were nothing alike. As I said, they overachieve every season, and it looks like they will again, and we underachieved with Flitcroft. Dress that up anyway you like.

It was a bad decision to appoint Dempster I agree, but it was a completely justifiable decision to get rid of DF, whether you agree with it or not.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:05 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:No surprise to see you talking rubbish again Andy. Ours and Lincoln’s situations were nothing alike. As I said, they overachieve every season, and it looks like they will again, and we underachieved with Flitcroft. Dress that up anyway you like.

It was a bad decision to appoint Dempster I agree, but it was a completely justifiable decision to get rid of DF, whether you agree with it or not.
It's called an opinion Musings.
But at least we agree on something. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Lincoln stuck with the manager who failed. He progressed the team who are now riding high where our chairman thinks we belong. He sacked our manager and we have gone backwards( we are currently 15 places below where we finished under DF ).

When did Lincoln fail Andy? I’m really confused.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:29 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Hjeldefan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

When did Lincoln fail Andy? I’m really confused.
Season before last, they failed in the playoffs ( like we did last season ).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:52 pm

But we don't yet know where Mr Dempster will finish do we? It's all very good saying that we have fallen well below the standard set by Mr Flitcroft but that achievement was after 46 games. Early doors Mr Flitcroft's team were faring just as badly as we were after 4 games this term without the number of injuries and off field disruption.

You can dress it up and lament all you wish but the facts are that Mr Flitcroft failed twice and the football on display from February onwards was as bad as this years. I don't think we would have made top seven this year and could possibly have lost some players who obviously weren't content with his set up. Don't forget he told Khan he could go out on loan in March time and I don't think he would have come back if he did.

Things always look better in retrospect but the football certainly wasn't that good.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:55 pm

Finishing in the playoffs and winning the EFL trophy in their first year back in league 2 is not failure.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:00 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:Finishing in the playoffs and winning the EFL trophy in their first year back in league 2 is not failure.
I suppose it depends on your definition of failure. I don't think finishing 4 th in the league is failure. Others clearly do. I'm sure some Lincoln fans thought they failed when they didn't go up that season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:Finishing in the playoffs and winning the EFL trophy in their first year back in league 2 is not failure.
I suppose it depends on your definition of failure. I don't think finishing 4 th in the league is failure. Others clearly do. I'm sure some Lincoln fans thought they failed when they didn't go up that season.

Andy.

Two simple questions.

We’re Lincoln’s expectations the season before last to be promoted? No.

We’re our expectations last season to be promoted? Yes.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:03 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Again - kinda missing the point.

You can’t compare our season last year to what Lincoln did.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMAD » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

I doubt it. There first season back in the league finishing in the play offs and EFL trophy winners.

99% of Imps fans would of been happy with mid table start of that season and it was not there remit to get promoted that season or even win a trophy.

As from the word go our objective was automatic promotion and we didn’t get it so I’d Class that as failing the objectives.
MTFCMAD
Manager
Manager

Postby Uncle » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:37 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Don't forget he told Khan he could go out on loan in March time and I don't think he would have come back if he did.

Things always look better in retrospect but the football certainly wasn't that good.

I think you need to hire more reliable sources of rumour. The only period players can go out on loan is during a transfer window, which,during that particular period would have been over at the end of January. Nice try though.
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:53 pm

Uncle wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Don't forget he told Khan he could go out on loan in March time and I don't think he would have come back if he did.

I think you need to hire more reliable sources of rumour. The only period players can go out on loan is during a transfer window, which,during that particular period would have been over at the end of January. Nice try though.

Read the thread on Khan getting disqualified from driving. From the horses mouth, not rumour at all.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Uncle » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:10 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

Read the thread on Khan getting disqualified from driving. From the horses mouth, not rumour at all.

Think it would be more beneficial for you to read EFL regulations on the transfer window and loaning players outside the window period. Nice try though.
Uncle
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:24 pm

Uncle wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

Think it would be more beneficial for you to read EFL regulations on the transfer window and loaning players outside the window period. Nice try though.

Why couldn't Mr Flitcroft loan him to a club for this season? He was still in charge when he made the commitment after all. Why would Khan lie about it to a court. Nice try though to deflect criticism from Mr Flitcrogt.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum